Author Topic: The Bound of the Red Deer  (Read 5061 times)

kwaing

The Bound of the Red Deer
« on: Thu, Mar 31, 2016, 10:23 AM »
Details are now trickling in for kc&mj's world tour of Canada

Saturday, May 28 - Burdock (1184 Bloor St. W) - Toronto - 6 pm doors, 6:30 - 8:00 early show - $20 advance/$25 door - ADVANCE TICKET LINK: <http://burdockto.com/shows/?show=223>

Sunday, May 29 - Jane Bond - Waterloo - 9 pm - with special guest Norman Blake (Teenage Fanclub) - $14 advance - ADVANCE TICKET LINK: <http://www.ticketweb.ca/event/king-creosote-michael-johnston-the-jane-bond-tickets/6590275>

Tuesday, June 1 - Belleville - show info TBA

Wednesday, June 2 - O Patro Vys (356 Avenue du Mont-Royal E.) - Montreal - 9 pm doors, 9:30 show - $15 advance + S.C. ADVANCE TICKET LINK:<http://www.en.tixza.com/evenements/consulter/king-creosote-michael-johnston-o-patro-vys-montreal-2016-06-01-1112>

Thursday, June 3 - The Spill (414 George St. N.) - Peterborough -  - 7 pm doors, 7:30 - 9:30 early show - $20 / PWYC tickets at the door only

Saturday, June 5 - Burdock (1184 Bloor St. W) - Toronto - 6 pm doors, 6:30 - 8:00 early show - $20 advance/$25 door - with band including Chris Stringer (our producer) + Charles James - ADVANCE TICKET LINK: <http://burdockto.com/shows/?show=224>

king creosote + michael johnston

“These songs and these people are so warm and wonderful, the music heartens my soul. I love the deep humour and harmony, the pathos and the charm. These songs stand out like beams of light on a misty dark night..." – Chris Difford, Squeeze

Mercury-Prize Nominee King Creosote and Skydiggers’ Michael Johnston have forged a unique musical partnership.

“The Bound Of The Red Deer," their ten-song collaborative debut, is informed by ten years of change, friendship, travel and long-distance correspondence. Recorded in Toronto by Chris Stringer (Timber Timbre), “The Bound Of The Red Deer” is a collection of heartfelt songs anchored by acoustic guitar, piano, ambient textures and an endearing vocal blend of Scots/Canadian accents.

King Creosote (Kenny Anderson) and Michael met in 2006 at a songwriter's retreat in Scotland. They hit it off quickly, and wrote two songs in as many hours. Along with six of the other musicians at the retreat, they formed a band called The Burns Unit.

After the band amicably split in 2012, Kenny and Michael set to completing songs that would become “The Bound Of The Red Deer." Included on the album the earliest songs they wrote together, alongside collaborations with Karine Polwart and Emma Pollock (of the Delgados), and musical contributions from Texas musician Gurf Morlix (Lucinda Williams).

In May and June 2016, King Creosote and Michael Johnston will perform their first duo shows in over four years to celebrate the long-awaited release of “The Bound Of The Red Deer".

« Last Edit: Mon, May 02, 2016, 07:33 AM by kwaing »

czefski

Re: The Bound of the Red Deer
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Mar 31, 2016, 10:32 AM »
KC & Norman in the same room!!!! Nobody tell Mrs. C otherwise she'll be plotting a weekend trip to Ontario.

Isn't it Dan Withered Hand's ambition to write a song with Norman Blake? If only he knew someone who could facilitate that?

Leckers

« Reply #2 on: Thu, Mar 31, 2016, 14:41 PM »
norman blake? in canada? hope
stan butler doesn't take the piss
while he is away.

czefski

« Reply #3 on: Thu, Mar 31, 2016, 14:55 PM »
"After the band amicably split in 2012"

???

stephen

« Reply #4 on: Thu, Mar 31, 2016, 17:45 PM »
Baby Lee by Teenage Fanclub is a co-write with one Wayne Campbell.

Lavinia

• Wee woolies
« Reply #5 on: Thu, Mar 31, 2016, 18:15 PM »
Love Teenage fanclub, love Canada, love KC, canny go though! ☹️

lolsmit

• Hanx!
« Reply #6 on: Fri, Apr 01, 2016, 12:53 PM »
Party on, dude.

czefski

« Reply #7 on: Fri, Apr 01, 2016, 12:57 PM »

I had no idea that was the case until Saturday night. Great song.

klv

« Reply #8 on: Sun, Apr 10, 2016, 21:49 PM »
Forwarding this info to all my chums in Ontario.

Kwaing - I would recommend you guys try and get a gig in Newfoundland (St John's maybe?) - you'd go down a storm there!

Deegers

« Reply #9 on: Tue, Apr 12, 2016, 14:44 PM »
£360 return flights from the weeg for this, 27th to 1st june.

;)

jaki_treehorn

« Reply #10 on: Wed, Apr 13, 2016, 20:45 PM »
The wife and I will be there (so pumped about this). Last time we saw them at the Jane Bond it was a very memorable night. Kenny, I'll buy you a Kriek if that's still your tipple of choice.

kwaing

« Reply #11 on: Wed, Apr 13, 2016, 21:28 PM »
A Kriek would be ace, thank you very much indeed  8)

Lavinia

• Wee woolies
« Reply #12 on: Thu, Apr 14, 2016, 19:37 PM »
A Kriek would be ace, thank you very much indeed  8)

Excuse my ignorance but what is kriek? 

jaki_treehorn

« Reply #13 on: Fri, Apr 15, 2016, 21:29 PM »
It's a very nice fruity beer from Belgium: great for a parched throat on hot summer nights.

Lavinia

• Wee woolies
« Reply #14 on: Sun, May 29, 2016, 22:47 PM »
Well come on how is the Canadian tour going!  We all waiting to hear!