Author Topic: Hi.  (Read 6920 times)

kwaing

Re: Hi.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, Jun 20, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Indoor bowling from now on!

Uncle Ellwyn

« Reply #16 on: Thu, Jun 20, 2013, 15:09 PM »
I am golfing an awful lot more. Maybe I should go pro....

Glad to hear that you gowf.  I almost asked yesterday whether you played.  Have you ever walked the holy grounds of the old course?   Pity it's so dear.  :'(

anster-lad

« Reply #17 on: Thu, Jun 20, 2013, 15:17 PM »
I am golfing an awful lot more. Maybe I should go pro....

Glad to hear that you gowf.  I almost asked yesterday whether you played.  Have you ever walked the holy grounds of the old course?   Pity it's so dear.  :'(

Yes, it's not the best course though to be honest. Probably better up at The Dukes just outside St Andrews (The Old Course Hotel's course). I used to play it free when I worked there during Uni years.

My cousin was on the European Tour for a couple of seasons but missed a putt in Q-School and is on the Challenge Tour right now. http://www.europeantour.com/challengetour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013742/leaderboard/index.html

He won this tournament in 2010 which actually secured his Tour card for the following year.

I, however, suck at golf!

funky_nomad

« Reply #18 on: Thu, Jun 20, 2013, 16:12 PM »
The Dukes is a hideous excuse for a golf course - one of the worst I've ever played.

The Old Course is a fantastic experience, but unless you're out early (by which I mean before 7:30am) it is shockingly slow - full of Americans and Japanese dudes taking photos at Every. Single. Hole. The queues at the Road Hole Bunker and Swilken Bridge are just ridiculous.

The New and (particularly) Jubilee courses are cheaper and better courses to play, but the experience of the Old Course is still amazing (the trick is to get someone to invite you on so you don't have to pay...). The Eden course is probably the most fun of the courses in town (although the bunkers are really small and really deep - most of them have rope ladders to get in and out!).

The Castle is excellent, if rather daunting (I'd suggest that anyone who doesn't regularly break 90 on a normal course could be broken by The Castle). Kingsbarns isn't as good as it thinks it is.

anster-lad

« Reply #19 on: Thu, Jun 20, 2013, 18:09 PM »
I strongly disagree with The Dukes comment. However, my family is quite high up in the Links which has it's perks (free rounds and tickets) but you still have to enter the ballot for the Old Course. The Castle is the most Picturesque. My mate signed one of his customers on to the Castle this week and he got a hole in one on the 3rd hole.

Uncle Ellwyn

« Reply #20 on: Thu, Jun 20, 2013, 20:30 PM »
You hit the nail straight on the head Funky.  You can experience or document but you cannot do both.  The experience of golfing on hallowed ground is diminished by stopping to document every moment.  These people get done and only remember stopping to take pics.

The Old Course is holy ground to me.  Twas only there for one time, a half hour detour on my way to Eigg last year.  I had goose bumps all over my body and actually knelt down and kissed the grass on the first fairway.

I shall be back, next year, even though I know I'll not golf the old course.  I do hope to walk the course, slowly, experiencing the ancient vibes and perhaps do a bit of 'documenting'.

Maybe I'm just a throwback, but I would have been happier making my pilgrimage maybe 75 years ago.
Let me quote from "Golf in the Kingdom":
"The game is fadin' away, losin' it's old charm, becomin' mechanized by the Americans and the rest of the world that blindly follows them.  Look at the crowded links, the lack o' leisure, the hurried startin' times, the ruination o' the old clubs where ye could gather with your friends and enjoy some good conversation. Where's the evolution in all o' that now, I ask ye?"

funky_nomad

« Reply #21 on: Fri, Jun 21, 2013, 08:35 AM »
I strongly disagree with The Dukes comment.
We'll agree to disagree, and settle on me being correct.

The SGU made some really bad decisions over the years - the Drumoig debacle for starters - but even with all that I can't believe they ended up setting up home at the monstrosity that is The Dukes.

Ironically, Drumoig is a MUCH better golf course, fantastically good value, and really easy to get on. Go figure...

czefski

« Reply #22 on: Fri, Jun 21, 2013, 09:05 AM »
I'm with Funky on the Dukes, I've only played once but found it to be a real struggle, some incredibly unfair run-offs and a long, long walk.

The Old Course, on the other hand is one of my favourite places in the world. I was at a party in St. Andrews many years ago and popped out to the course at around 2am, it was a beautiful night and me and a mate stood in the valley of sin talking about famous moments that had taken place within yards of where we were standing, Doug Sander's missed putt, Nicklaus driving the green in the play-off, Seve's victory celebration in '84, Ian Baker-Finch driving out of bounds down the left off the 1st etc. There was such an aura around the place, it was such a simple thing but a night I'll not forget. Then we I finally got to play the course with my son, I was over-awed walking down the 1st, thinking about all the greats who had been there before me, I hit a great drive then dumped a lob wedge into the burn.

Of the 3 Open course I've played, Turnberry is my favourite, tough but fair, I'll tell you about my tap in birdie at the 9th some other time.

I've only ever played Carnoustie when the wind has been blowing and it's a killer.

funky_nomad

« Reply #23 on: Fri, Jun 21, 2013, 09:16 AM »
I got a round of applause at The Old Course - hit a cracking drive down 18th, then played lob-wedge into green, which checked and spun back to 12 feet. The people watching behind the green gave it big claps. Missed the birdie putt, of course!

I played what I still reckon to be my best ball-striking round ever at Carnoustie - pretty much everything came out flush, and I even triumphantly took on Hogan's Alley - but it was as if those fairway bunkers were designed just for me on that particular day. Played out my skin and still shot 84, with at least a dozen bunker shots in there. Just a great, great golf course.

Muirfield wasn't too shabby a couple of weeks back either...

Dubster

« Reply #24 on: Fri, Jun 21, 2013, 09:44 AM »
I got a round of applause at The Old Course - hit a cracking drive down 18th, then played lob-wedge into green, which checked and spun back to 12 feet. The people watching behind the green gave it big claps. Missed the birdie putt, of course!

I played what I still reckon to be my best ball-striking round ever at Carnoustie - pretty much everything came out flush, and I even triumphantly took on Hogan's Alley - but it was as if those fairway bunkers were designed just for me on that particular day. Played out my skin and still shot 84, with at least a dozen bunker shots in there. Just a great, great golf course.

shame you couldnt get a hole in one on the Himalayas  ;)

czefski

« Reply #25 on: Fri, Jun 21, 2013, 09:53 AM »

I also got a round of applause at the 18th. I'd hit my 2nd through the back almost up against the railings. There was a busload of Scandinavian students watching as I chipped down the green to less than a foot. A nice ripple of applause was given, well deserved I felt.

anster-lad

« Reply #26 on: Fri, Jun 21, 2013, 13:49 PM »

I also got a round of applause at the 18th. I'd hit my 2nd through the back almost up against the railings. There was a busload of Scandinavian students watching as I chipped down the green to less than a foot. A nice ripple of applause was given, well deserved I felt.

Usually when I golf, I am pointed at and then laughed at.

Actually, this isn't just when I'm golfing......

anster-lad

« Reply #27 on: Fri, Jun 21, 2013, 13:52 PM »
Maybe I'm just a throwback, but I would have been happier making my pilgrimage maybe 75 years ago.
Let me quote from "Golf in the Kingdom":
"The game is fadin' away, losin' it's old charm, becomin' mechanized by the Americans and the rest of the world that blindly follows them.  Look at the crowded links, the lack o' leisure, the hurried startin' times, the ruination o' the old clubs where ye could gather with your friends and enjoy some good conversation. Where's the evolution in all o' that now, I ask ye?"

I can understand that, but when I worked for VisitScotland in St Andrews, I absolutely loved meeting folk from all over the globe who had come to St Andrews, The Old Course in particular. Hearing their passion for what's on my doorstep really puts it in perspective how much we all take it for granted. The shock of horror when we told them you could walk on it anywhere on a Sunday was hilarious.

kwaing

« Reply #28 on: Fri, Jun 21, 2013, 18:55 PM »
we used to play a sort of russian "bunker" roulette by racing along the old course after dark on our pushbikes.

anster-lad

« Reply #29 on: Fri, Jun 21, 2013, 19:07 PM »
we used to play a sort of russian "bunker" roulette by racing along the old course after dark on our pushbikes.
  I would like to play Russian "Bonker" Roulette. Some classy chicks in that there country.