Author Topic: MIXCLUB REVIEW THREAD  (Read 7045 times)

fuctifano

MIXCLUB REVIEW THREAD
« on: Tue, Oct 18, 2016, 15:47 PM »
Review for HubMix 2016 sent to Meic/Cameleon

Wow!  I must say this was more of a challenge than I thought it would be but thankyou fellow hubber for opening my ears to an era of music that has made me return enthusiastically to my own collection.

Track 1
Mana ManaÖIím assuming this is the Muppets version but a wonderful start to any disc because Mrs Cameleon and I frequently sing this to each other in our wilder moments while we prepare certain meals.  Fantastic and Huge Smiles!

Track 2
Cicadas.  Soulful Rhodes.  Nice percussion and beats.  Simple.  Haunting.  Right up my street. Good track to reel me in.

Track 3
Iíve got this. Steve Miller Band.  Space Intro to Fly like an eagle.  The only track on this entire disc that I already have.

Track 4
Smooth vibrato on the electric piano.  Cocktail hour.  Chorus pedal on guitar.  Very pleasant.  Subtle Pat Metheny perhaps on guitar but no idea who the main man is on keys. Certainly sounds west coast.

Track 5
Nice string bass and the horn solo in the middle is wonderful.  Itís obviously a cover of Stevie Wonders Golden Lady but I donít know who the singer is.  A guess would be Cassandra Wilson but Iím clueless.  Checkout Alan and Lita Blakes version if you havenít heard it.  Thatís great too.

Track 6
WellÖIíve heard Neneh Cherry singing this on her Man album and the voice on this track is so naggingly familiar.  Not sure that the strings are needed but otherwise itís a beautiful arrangement.  Lovely stuff.

Track 7
Reminds me a bit of a Billy Cobham composition but the kit work is by someone else.  The interplay between electric piano and subtle guitar sounds like Jan Hammer on keys perhaps.  I didnít want this to end.  Mmnnnn nice!

Track 8
Gil Scott Heron?  Never heard him do a Christmas song before though so this is a new one for me if it really is him.

Track 9
Hmnn.  Not so sure about this one.  Doesnít do a great deal for me because the choir doesnít quite sit right with the EP and I wish there was some interaction with other instruments.  Perhaps a lack of Californian sunshine here in Scotland is limiting me.

Track 10
Lovely introduction to lead me in.  The kit work sounds like Art Blakey.  Nice soprano and horn breaks.  Is that Keith Jarrett on Piano?  Iíd guess at one of the Jazz Messengers featuring Marsalis but I donít know if he ever featured at the same time as Jarrett.

Track 11
Another guess but possibly Joe Farell on soprano so probably Chick Corea on piano before his absolutely amazing Return to Forever years.  This is yet another new one to me.

Track 12
White Horses!  Wasnít this a TV theme song? This is an unusual addition! Donít know who the singer is butÖÖ.

Track 13
Aha!  Track 12 leads in to track 13 with the vocals continuing with the addition of the band.  Now I understand.  Lovely sultry bass, brushwork and tenor.  I didnít want this one to end either and a perfect track to end this mix with.

Track 14
Popeye the sailor man!  Iím back with a big smile on my face.

WellÖ.That was fun.  I was supposed to be assembling furniture when this arrived but the toolbox stayed where it was while I was suddenly in a Monterey mode.

You are obviously a big fan of West Coast musicians, particularly on keys and there is a strong flavour from the seventies.  Thereís probably some George Duke or Ramsey Lewis in there somewhere too.  Of course, I might be totally wrong but I wonít know until you put me out of my misery so Iím looking forward to your reveal whenever you can.  Iíve got a feeling we have a lot to talk about.

Than you my friend and huge thanks to Mark once again for making this all possible.

Be Happy

Meic

Cactus Breath

Re: MIXCLUB REVIEW THREAD
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Oct 20, 2016, 08:52 AM »
The reveal for Meic\Cameleon

Review for HubMix 2016 sent to Meic/Cameleon

Wow!  I must say this was more of a challenge than I thought it would be but thankyou fellow hubber for opening my ears to an era of music that has made me return enthusiastically to my own collection.

Track 1
Mana ManaÖIím assuming this is the Muppets version but a wonderful start to any disc because Mrs Cameleon and I frequently sing this to each other in our wilder moments while we prepare certain meals.  Fantastic and Huge Smiles!

01 Mahna Mahna - The Muppets a classic!

Track 2
Cicadas.  Soulful Rhodes.  Nice percussion and beats.  Simple.  Haunting.  Right up my street. Good track to reel me in.

I'm a big fan of rhodes/electric piano and have been collecting vinyl copies by all sorts of bands with good rhodes tracks for years I found the track as a free download months ago

02 Our Space Secrets - Hector Plimmer  https://hector-plimmer.bandcamp.com/album/our-space-secrets

Track 3
Iíve got this. Steve Miller Band.  Space Intro to Fly like an eagle.  The only track on this entire disc that I already have.

03 Space Intro - Steve Miller a beautiful LP which can still be picked up quite cheaply some wonderful tracks on that LP.

Track 4
Smooth vibrato on the electric piano.  Cocktail hour.  Chorus pedal on guitar.  Very pleasant.  Subtle Pat Metheny perhaps on guitar but no idea who the main man is on keys. Certainly sounds west coast.

04 She's Here - Les McCann  from his "Talk to the People" LP I saw him at the Jazz Cafe in the early 90s took my vinyl copy along which he kindly signed for me, and he also played his version of "What's going on" at the gig as well.  One of my top ten LPs ever - https://www.discogs.com/Les-McCann-Talk-To-The-People/release/1134619

Track 5
Nice string bass and the horn solo in the middle is wonderful.  Itís obviously a cover of Stevie Wonders Golden Lady but I donít know who the singer is.  A guess would be Cassandra Wilson but Iím clueless.  Checkout Alan and Lita Blakes version if you havenít heard it.  Thatís great too. 

05 Golden Lady - Abram Wilson he's a trumpet player as well as a vocalist, I saw him play in Barcelona some years back, sadly he passed away at a very early age. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazz-Warrior-Abram-Wilson/

Track 6
WellÖIíve heard Neneh Cherry singing this on her Man album and the voice on this track is so naggingly familiar.  Not sure that the strings are needed but otherwise itís a beautiful arrangement.  Lovely stuff.

06 Golden Ring - American Gypsy I don't know anything about the band but I love this track.  https://www.discogs.com/American-Gypsy-American-Gypsy/release/1340009

Track 7
Reminds me a bit of a Billy Cobham composition but the kit work is by someone else.  The interplay between electric piano and subtle guitar sounds like Jan Hammer on keys perhaps.  I didnít want this to end.  Mmnnnn nice!

07 Welcome New Warmth - Michael Sardaby A classic track which you can find on compilations LP's as well here's the orginal release https://www.discogs.com/Michel-Sardaby-Gail/release/1883761

Track 8
Gil Scott Heron?  Never heard him do a Christmas song before though so this is a new one for me if it really is him.

08 Spirits Past - Gil Scott-Heron  this is a wonderful LP that came out in 1994, I was lucky enough to meet him once after a gig.  https://www.discogs.com/Gil-Scott-Heron-Spirits/release/601688

Track 9
Hmnn.  Not so sure about this one.  Doesnít do a great deal for me because the choir doesnít quite sit right with the EP and I wish there was some interaction with other instruments.  Perhaps a lack of Californian sunshine here in Scotland is limiting me.

09 Om Supreme - Alice Coltrane  John's good lady https://www.discogs.com/Alice-Coltrane-Eternity/release/385070

Track 10
Lovely introduction to lead me in.  The kit work sounds like Art Blakey.  Nice soprano and horn breaks.  Is that Keith Jarrett on Piano?  Iíd guess at one of the Jazz Messengers featuring Marsalis but I donít know if he ever featured at the same time as Jarrett.

10 Dusk Fire - Rendell Carr Quintet  A cast of all British Jazz musicians including the wonder Michael Garrick on piano, their vinyl LP's cost a fortune but they were released on CD a few years back. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shades-Blue-Don-Rendell/dp/B0001CTJF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476949287&sr=8-1&keywords=rendell+carr+dusk+fire

Track 11
Another guess but possibly Joe Farell on soprano so probably Chick Corea on piano before his absolutely amazing Return to Forever years.  This is yet another new one to me.

11 Love theme From Spartacus - Yusef Lateef Modal mellowness! https://www.discogs.com/Yusef-Lateef-Eastern-Sounds/release/1465221

Track 12
White Horses!  Wasnít this a TV theme song? This is an unusual addition! Donít know who the singer is butÖÖ.  yes indeed!

Track 13
Aha!  Track 12 leads in to track 13 with the vocals continuing with the addition of the band.  Now I understand.  Lovely sultry bass, brushwork and tenor.  I didnít want this one to end either and a perfect track to end this mix with.

12 White Horses - Ian Ballamy & Norma Winstone
13 Caraway - Ian Ballamy & Norma Winstone             I love these two tracks and yes it brings back many memories from when I was a child watching TV
https://www.discogs.com/Iain-Ballamy-Featuring-Stian-Carstensen-With-Special-Guests-Norma-Winstone-Martin-France-Matthew-Sha/release/2297540

Track 14
Popeye the sailor man!  Iím back with a big smile on my face.

14 Popeye - Billy Costello the original version.

Music you can't beat it eh?  I love introducing people to new things and am very glad the mix CD went down well.

Best Wishes Cactus Breath

Cameleon

« Reply #2 on: Fri, Oct 21, 2016, 11:58 AM »
Many many thanks Cactus breath and thanks for the links too.  Youíve set me off searching.  I canít believe how wrong I got the Abram Wilson vocal.  I honestly thought it was a duet with the first vocal done by a woman.  Oooops! Sorry Girls.

Here is a link for the version by Alan and Lita Blake which you might find interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWd9F_16E_k

Cactus Breath

« Reply #3 on: Fri, Oct 21, 2016, 13:49 PM »
thx ill check it out Cameleon

FilthySwan

« Reply #4 on: Wed, Oct 26, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Righto here goes with October Hub Mix complete with October themed cover, I didn't recognise the guy on the cover bottom left to quite get the October connection??

Track 1:
Feck right off.  >:( >:( ;D ;D
Mogwai-esque instrumental music with samples of news reports about Rangers going into Administration. Let it go, you lot  :) Straight off Leckers is a suspect as he's usually one of the most vocally bitter supporters of a parochial small team  :-* However the clip of the Aberdeen boy scoring that last minute belter puts maybe Czefski into the frame. Hmmmm. Track is shite by the way.

Track 2
The Fall i think, i have one of their compilations mainly cos i like their cover of There's a Ghost in my House and i have the Von Sudenfed album he did which the track The rhino head is brilliant. I like the groove and it would sound great live as a set finisher but it went on too long for me.

Track 3
Elements of Flamenco and Celtic sounding elements to the music in this track, i don't know it but it almost sounds like a heavy rock band covering a track. Its not in English either and i can't decipher any words from it so i'll just make an arse of myself by saying its in Welsh. Phonetically there is a few of those throat clearing sounds the welsh so love to use so i'll guess at that.

Track 4
Love Potion No 9 - The Searchers is the version of this song i've heard before. Its not them though this is more modern, the voice is recognisable. I like it actually.

Track 5
Acoustic guitar, playful song about feeling groovy. it sounds like something off of the Welsh Rare Beat compilations but in English, i know Meic Stevens also sung songs in English so it could be him. Donovan just popped into my head just as i was typing this too.

Track6
80's style synths, ethereal vocals not sure if they are male or female. Nice enough and gets better as it goes on.

Track7
A bass line that reminds me of grunge but with a Krautrock beat. The vocals are way down in the mix, bits remind me of Pavement but i'm pretty sure its not them. Not sure what i think about this actually.

Track8
MOR Coffee Shop Portishead - Thats what i had written as my initial notes on first listen. Its naggingly familiar but i don't know if thats because i know it or if its the Portishead style. I think i'd like it more if it wasn't so clean.

Track9
Jazzy Soul number about "Buddy Could You Spare Me a Dime" nice wee number, perfect sort of track for a mix tape.

Track10
Irish singer but it sounds like a old Gospel song, my first thought was Roisin Murphy but the production sounds very 80's/90's so i'm not sure. I like the song not so keen on the cheesy church band production.

Track11
Its Rick Redbeard - Is it called The Golden Age? its from his new album which i have but haven't really gotten into yet. Not sure why as his first album is stupendously great. I like it, i'll go back to the album.

Track12
Adam Stafford - Atheist Money. Great, i really like his stuff. Considering everybody and their dug uses a loop pedal these days i think he's quite innovative with it. I know Robbie that produced/played on this album and the one before and he's a mega talented fella who i get the impression has the chops and nous to make sense of a lot of Adams ideas. Which is his job really! I'm interested to see what he does next.

Track 13
Taut guitars and a bit of a motorik beat, i like it more the more i hear it will be interested to see who it is. Sounds fairly recent but again a bit too clean for me.

Track14
McCartney esque track probably called Trouble. I quite like this, again great for a mix. Musically i like it even more at the drum break. Good stuff.

Track15
Soul track probably called Shotgun or Shotgun Wedding. I quite like it although the cheesy gunshot sounds were probably only a good idea at the time.

Track16
Kathryn Joseph - Street Spirit (Fade Out) cover of the Radiohead track, really good. I dunno if this has been released or if its off the Vic Galloway session, thats where i'd heard it. I've not seen her live yet but i definitely want to.

Track17
The Parting Song - I only know this from Aidan Moffat's film but now i love it...and Aidan's version. In fact i was planning to start and end my mix with each version but that idea fell by the wayside somewhere down the line. A great ending.

All in all i enjoyed the mix with a few to check out. Nothing that made me go Wow! maybe apart from the first track but that wasn't in a good way  :P

fuctifano

« Reply #5 on: Wed, Oct 26, 2016, 14:35 PM »
Moussa been a bampot to come up with such a cruel idea.  C'mon guys -  It's supposed to be a NEW mixCLUB.

*wink*

FilthySwan

« Reply #6 on: Wed, Oct 26, 2016, 14:49 PM »
Moussa been a bampot to come up with such a cruel idea.  C'mon guys -  It's supposed to be a NEW mixCLUB.

*wink*

You're off my Christmas card list  ;)

fuctifano

« Reply #7 on: Wed, Oct 26, 2016, 15:09 PM »

*wink*

You're off my Christmas card list  ;)

not actually my mix so i'm sure we're all good.

czefski

« Reply #8 on: Thu, Oct 27, 2016, 12:01 PM »
Twas indeed I who made the mix but I can only take partial acclaim for the first track, Fuctifano suggested that you would love to hear the commentary of Maddison's goal, I decided to add in some historic context beforehand.

Track 1:
Feck right off.  >:( >:( ;D ;D
Mogwai-esque instrumental music with samples of news reports about Rangers going into Administration. Let it go, you lot  :) Straight off Leckers is a suspect as he's usually one of the most vocally bitter supporters of a parochial small team  :-* However the clip of the Aberdeen boy scoring that last minute belter puts maybe Czefski into the frame. Hmmmm. Track is shite by the way.

This does sound quite Mogwaiesque but is Kittenry by the Wedding Present, opening track to their new album. I used it because the slow build worked nicely for the clips I mixed in.

Track 2
The Fall i think, i have one of their compilations mainly cos i like their cover of There's a Ghost in my House and i have the Von Sudenfed album he did which the track The rhino head is brilliant. I like the groove and it would sound great live as a set finisher but it went on too long for me.

Blindness by The Fall. They played this prior to Arab Strap coming on stage at Barrowlands the other week and it sounded amazing. I saw the Fall last month, they were very good but I'd have liked to have heard this, I guess they have plenty to choose a set list from. I agree it's too long but difficult to find a place to cut it off also.

Track 3
Elements of Flamenco and Celtic sounding elements to the music in this track, i don't know it but it almost sounds like a heavy rock band covering a track. Its not in English either and i can't decipher any words from it so i'll just make an arse of myself by saying its in Welsh. Phonetically there is a few of those throat clearing sounds the welsh so love to use so i'll guess at that.

This is a band called, or more likely a singer called Xlorious White. I know nothing about them other than I heard this track on 6Music and really liked it. I suspect he/they are Greek.

Track 4
Love Potion No 9 - The Searchers is the version of this song i've heard before. Its not them though this is more modern, the voice is recognisable. I like it actually.

This particular version is by John Cooper-Clarke & Hugh Cornwall from their rather strange album of 50's & 60's classics that came out last week. This is the only track that I really like, the others are either songs which were originally shit, MacArthur Park or JCC's unique vocal styling doesn't really work, Johnny Remember Me.

Track 5
Acoustic guitar, playful song about feeling groovy. it sounds like something off of the Welsh Rare Beat compilations but in English, i know Meic Stevens also sung songs in English so it could be him. Donovan just popped into my head just as i was typing this too.

The late, great, although trouble troubadour Ted Hawkins with Simon & Garfunkel's 59th Street Bridge Song.
Track6
80's style synths, ethereal vocals not sure if they are male or female. Nice enough and gets better as it goes on.

This is Last To Leave by C Duncan from his recent Quay Session. I haven't seen what the fuss is about him, a bit too horally for my liking but my son is his tour manager and sound guy so I went to see him at the Lemon Tree last month and thought he sounded much better with a full band behind him. I think this bears witness to that.

Track7
A bass line that reminds me of grunge but with a Krautrock beat. The vocals are way down in the mix, bits remind me of Pavement but i'm pretty sure its not them. Not sure what i think about this actually.

I've gone back to my youth here with Frnech Film Blurred by Wire from their Chairs Missing album. I'm not a huge fan of Wire but think this song is brilliant, gets better every time I listen to it.

Track8
MOR Coffee Shop Portishead - Thats what i had written as my initial notes on first listen. Its naggingly familiar but i don't know if thats because i know it or if its the Portishead style. I think i'd like it more if it wasn't so clean.

This is Kathryn Williams cover of Python Lee Jackson's In A Broken Dream. I kind of forgotten about Kathryn then saw her at the Kate Bush tribute in Aberdeen last month and she was brilliant. I love this version because her voice is so different from Rod's in the original.

Track9
Jazzy Soul number about "Buddy Could You Spare Me a Dime" nice wee number, perfect sort of track for a mix tape.

Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance with his version of the song from the Great Depression 'Buddy Can You Spare Me a Dime.' There's another minutes of Jazzy instumental to this song that I cut from this version, you'd thank me if you heard it.

Track10
Irish singer but it sounds like a old Gospel song, my first thought was Roisin Murphy but the production sounds very 80's/90's so i'm not sure. I like the song not so keen on the cheesy church band production.

It's not just nay Irish Singer, it's Sinead O'Conner with Trouble Will Soon Be Over from the tribute album to Bind Willie Johnson that came out earlier this year.

Track11
Its Rick Redbeard - Is it called The Golden Age? its from his new album which i have but haven't really gotten into yet. Not sure why as his first album is stupendously great. I like it, i'll go back to the album.

Yes and yes you should.

Track12
Adam Stafford - Atheist Money. Great, i really like his stuff. Considering everybody and their dug uses a loop pedal these days i think he's quite innovative with it. I know Robbie that produced/played on this album and the one before and he's a mega talented fella who i get the impression has the chops and nous to make sense of a lot of Adams ideas. Which is his job really! I'm interested to see what he does next.

I've seen Adam a couple of times in the past 6 months, once supporting Book Group in front of me and about 10 other people in Dundee and prior to KC playing at Vic Galloway's Unbound night at the Edinburgh Book Festival, where he did an acapella set that was rivetting. I think he's a huge talent, seems to be a very intense young man though.

Track 13
Taut guitars and a bit of a motorik beat, i like it more the more i hear it will be interested to see who it is. Sounds fairly recent but again a bit too clean for me.

Dusk by Ultimate Painting. A mate of mine who is into Shoe-Gazing/Psychedlia tipped me off about them, I really like this song, the rest of the album is pretty good too, worth a listen.

Track14
McCartney esque track probably called Trouble. I quite like this, again great for a mix. Musically i like it even more at the drum break. Good stuff.

This is Miracle Glass Company who played before Adam Stafford at the aforementioned Unbound event. I think they sound very much like Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance and that's never a bad thing.

Track15
Soul track probably called Shotgun or Shotgun Wedding. I quite like it although the cheesy gunshot sounds were probably only a good idea at the time.

From 1963, Roy C with Shotgun Wedding, it was one of the first singles I can remember being in my house as a kid. The shotgun effects were a bit of an unneeded indulgence.

Track16
Kathryn Joseph - Street Spirit (Fade Out) cover of the Radiohead track, really good. I dunno if this has been released or if its off the Vic Galloway session, thats where i'd heard it. I've not seen her live yet but i definitely want to.

This is from the Vic session. Like C Duncan I don't get what the fascination is with KJ. I've saw her many times in Aberdeen when she was Kathryn Sawyers and for my ear her voice was the musical equivalent of fingernails dragged don a blackboard. Then I saw her at the Kate Bush tribute and thought she was great, moving out of Aberdeen seems to have had a positive effect.

Track17
The Parting Song - I only know this from Aidan Moffat's film but now i love it...and Aidan's version. In fact i was planning to start and end my mix with each version but that idea fell by the wayside somewhere down the line. A great ending.

I only knew of it through Aidens film too, the DVD of which landed on my doorstep not 15 minutes ago. I was at the Blue Lamp gig when they filmed the tour and this song really stood out to me so was delighted to find the original was as good, if not better.

I enjoyed making the mix, glad there was enough in it to keep you interested.

FilthySwan

« Reply #9 on: Fri, Oct 28, 2016, 12:01 PM »
Cheers Paul, couple of things to check out. Surprised at the C Duncan one, never really got him either but didn't think that was him. Sinead O'Conner one is obvious now too.

Leckers

« Reply #10 on: Fri, Oct 28, 2016, 13:23 PM »
Straight off Leckers is a suspect as he's usually one of the most vocally bitter supporters of a scottish cup winning team  :-*

fixed that for you. ;)

FilthySwan

« Reply #11 on: Fri, Oct 28, 2016, 14:33 PM »
Straight off Leckers is a suspect as he's usually one of the most vocally bitter supporters of a scottish cup winning team  :-*

fixed that for you. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI

:P

Here's a thing, did I ever tell you I met a guy who knew you in St Lucia??!!

MirrorMan

« Reply #12 on: Fri, Oct 28, 2016, 16:43 PM »
Xylouris White is a collaboration between Jim White of the great Dirty Three (who, coincidentally, I have just been listening to) and a Cretan guy called George Xylouris.

czefski

« Reply #13 on: Fri, Oct 28, 2016, 16:45 PM »
and a Cretin called George Xylouris.

Harsh.

Leckers

« Reply #14 on: Fri, Oct 28, 2016, 22:25 PM »

fixed that for you. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI

:P

Here's a thing, did I ever tell you I met a guy who knew you in St Lucia??!!

i don't think
ive ever been
to st lucia.