Author Topic: MIXCLUB REVIEW THREAD  (Read 7182 times)

FilthySwan

Re: MIXCLUB REVIEW THREAD
« Reply #15 on: Sat, Oct 29, 2016, 00:10 AM »
Straight off Leckers is a suspect as he's usually one of the most vocally bitter supporters of a scottish cup winning team  :-*

fixed that for you. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI

:P

Here's a thing, did I ever tell you I met a guy who knew you in St Lucia??!!

i don't think
ive ever been
to st lucia.

Nah, he's from my neck of the woods. The usual story go to the other side of the world and meet a guy who lives 2.5 miles away at the bar. Sun journo, PT. small world and all that.

Leckers

« Reply #16 on: Sat, Oct 29, 2016, 20:34 PM »
ah yeah I know
pt. like yirsel,
a guid lad for
a currant bun.

FilthySwan

« Reply #17 on: Sun, Oct 30, 2016, 13:04 PM »
ah yeah I know
pt. like yirsel,
a guid lad for
a currant bun.

Aye, we've stayed in touch with him and his wife and met up a few times. He stays quite non commital about the fitba I always think although he does say he used to go to Ibrox. I just assumed he was soft soaping me for some weird reason!

I think we got talking about work and I'd said I'd only ever met one person in the same field and he said "what his name I'll definitely know him" and lol and behold...

fuctifano

« Reply #18 on: Wed, Nov 02, 2016, 23:05 PM »
Thanks KLV for making and sending my mix cd. I know there were some technical issues and I appreciate the effort that went into making it. The artwork on the first blank cd was nice and the postcard with the second was even nicer! Thanks!  :)

So, the cd itself…. Overall a very nice wee listen. Some I liked and some that I didn’t. I think the ones I didn’t like are down to personal taste – I seem to have a thing about certain types of singers that just wind me up. Maybe it’s because I’m such a great singer myself. Not really. Anyway, like all music, it’s all relative, or something.

1 This starts with Piano/organ chords and processed vocals fading in and out. An electro beat kicks in about halfway through. The whole thing is a bit odd though – like we are only getting one half of a song and the other half is somewhere else. I dunno. Is it supposed to sound like this? If it is it’s very odd. I think I’d like the whole song if it exists.

2 Super Fast Disco Grooves about being born to be alive. Love the guitar line in this. It’s not the sort of thing I’d listen to much on its own but if it came on at a party or something I could imagine it being quite good fun to dance to.

3 Singer thing Exhibit A. The chilled out track behind this is quite nice but the guy going on about a girl being like a flower sounds a bit like Jarvis cocker which puts me right off cos he’s a twat.

4 Sharp guitars…loud drums. More like it. A bit of attitude! Modern punk/pop song about parties/traffic lights/movies. Very catchy but with a bit of snarl. Bet this would be great live. I like this.

5 Big rock guitar and drums intro to this indy rock anthemy sort of song. This is ok if a bit straight forward for me. Whoever Jolene is should tell the singer to do one.

6 Surf pop/rocknroll about a GTO sports car. This would be better if gummi Bako done it but you could say that about anything.

7 Singer thing Exhibit B This is quite a nice uptempo folk/rock song but I dunno about the singer. He’s either taking himself too seriously or not seriously enough. Not bad overall though after a few listens. Good.

8 Big band jazz that’s all swing and trumpets. Quite enjoyable. This could be longer.

9 Auld Scots crooner singing red red rose. Quite lovely really. Nice. Some of these other guys should take notes.

10 Singer thing Exhibit C. Jingly jangly indie pop. Probably a big hit in 90’s student unions all over the uk. Not really my thing though. Sorry.

11 Singer thing Exhibit D. Sounds like Jarvis cocker again but I don’t think it is. Christ, I really can’t stand the way this guy sings. I feel sorry for the rest of the band. They’re ok. In fact I bet they hate him too. They should start a new band with the scots crooner guy from song 9.

12 This seems to be someone trying to chat up a girl over a sort of indie/jazz kinda thing. It’s not working. I mean the music itself is good but the angry French chic doesn’t sound like she’s having any of it. I think she thinks the singer is an idiot. I’d agree.

13 I like this.

14 This nearly got a singer thing exhibit thing but it’s just a guy belting out a song about skeletons or the king of spain or a steady brain? At least he sounds like he means it which I don’t think can be said for Exhibits A-D. This is ok but I actually think he sounds better in the quiet bit at the end.

15 And the end…..a nice gentle reggae/ska number. This is nice. Good stuff.

Sorry if any of the singers I’ve had a go at are people you know. It’s all just my half arsed opinion which really doesn’t count for much anyway!

Although there are one or two I recognise, I don’t think I actually know who any of these bands/singers are so I’m looking forward to the reveal.

Some interesting songs/artists I’d like to know more about – tracks 4/8/9/12/13 and 15 especially. The first one could be good as well!!

Thanks again for the cd. Although I’ve slagged off one or two tracks I actually really enjoyed listening to the whole cd. Good work KLV!! ;D ;D ;D

czefski

« Reply #19 on: Fri, Nov 04, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Righto here goes with October Hub Mix complete with October themed cover, I didn't recognise the guy on the cover bottom left to quite get the October connection??

It' Gene October of 70's punk band Chelsea. He was the only original member who didn't leave to form Generation X, fact fans.

kwaing

« Reply #20 on: Tue, Nov 08, 2016, 19:43 PM »
October Hub Mix CDR

I first played my mix in the car on my way to Leuchars on the Friday of Hallowe’en, and of course it played out whilst I sat waiting in the car park for the 15.30 having arrived at the station a whole half hour early. Train fear. I didn’t skip any *tracks* but this was probably because I had time to kill and no other music to listen to other than Radio3, which let’s face it gets a bit samey during the day.

Folks always try their hardest to hit me with obscure songs forgetting I am a huge A-Ha fan. In fact I’m about to switch out “Spirit Of Eden” for the more radio friendly “Avalon” by Roxy Music for one of those infernal “my favourite album” pieces.

So Clare Todd and I played the mix through quietly on the way back to Crail. It is a pretty good mix in that all the songs sound as though they’ve been hidden away on a “now that’s what I call Kentish B sides” compilation album. Okay, there’s maybe a band from Norwich in here. Needless to say I didn’t recognise a single track, nor did CT, so full marks for out foxing us mainstream music lovers. I played the mix during many car trips to and fro Anstruther to set up and destroy our Lino at Neepso event, and on Saturday morning turned it up to test the musical knowledge of a hungover Withered Hand. After my “this is probably the worst song I’ve ever heard” introduction to track 3 Dan pipes up “I know this – it’s great. After his set I went up and hugged him”.

So, without much further ado, here is a brief description of the songs on my mix.

1. A mash up of the line “recalling all active agents” or something.

2. This is a girl vocal from back in the day, or maybe a retro attempt by an Angel Olsen type, that’s singing “friends to the end” as if running up and downstairs like a highly strung removal man. The guitar sound is the best that Ł60 spent on wood, plastic and strings can buy – I know, I had that very sound in the early 90s.

3. The contents of a handbag song by Richard Dawson. It’s not great at all.

4. There’s some Thom Yorke styled lazy pronunciation going on here over brittle drum programming and a toy piano. I quite like it and I too can feel the night now.

5. Slap back echo on the “thou shalt not kill” vocals, shuffling drums underneath punctuated by some bad heavy handed delays. Shame.

6. Pitch shifting and all very indie for 1 minute and 22 seconds, mercifully.

7. This voice sounds familiar, the song organ driven with backwards guitar. The “daowntaown” reminds me a bit of Paul Buchanan, but it’s not him. I like this one.

8. This is the most interesting song in the collection, is it Sianspheric? My tinnitus thanks whomever it is, but by 4 minutes odd my other ear has become quite tired trying to hear through it, whatever ‘it’ is.

9. Drum machine, something is slightly out of tune, and there’s no one crying over me neither.

10. This is great. It’s a pity it was recorded through the door of the rehearsal room though, eh?

11. Piano and handclaps mainly, and not Elton John. Not The Strokes guy is it? Player Piano maybe?

12. Another strummed acoustic, electric bass and finger clicks – the voice is way too quiet. Anyway, electric bass without drums shouldn’t be allowed, but then this could well be the one song the bass player wrote, mixed and insisted made the out takes CD 5 of the boxset.

13. Ah, a girl led charge to keep up with the drum machine. Totally uninspiring and a Mercury Music Prize winner no doubt.

14. Now, who sports a banjo and a nasally voice? Julian Cope? Skippy the bush kangaroo?

15. At last we’re out of the doldrums and into something by someone who likes the album “Song” by It’s Immaterial. I let it play to the end, make sure there's no secret track ... nope, more banjo though.

I’ve been a tough audience. I once played “Eden” by EBTG to a pal’s dad and 10,000 Maniacs to my own dad back in the day, similar reaction. Well mixed though Sir, and I thank you for the songs 4, 7, 8, 10 and 15.

FilthySwan

« Reply #21 on: Wed, Nov 09, 2016, 08:52 AM »
October Hub Mix CDR

I first played my mix in the car on my way to Leuchars on the Friday of Hallowe’en, and of course it played out whilst I sat waiting in the car park for the 15.30 having arrived at the station a whole half hour early. Train fear. I didn’t skip any *tracks* but this was probably because I had time to kill and no other music to listen to other than Radio3, which let’s face it gets a bit samey during the day.

Folks always try their hardest to hit me with obscure songs forgetting I am a huge A-Ha fan. In fact I’m about to switch out “Spirit Of Eden” for the more radio friendly “Avalon” by Roxy Music for one of those infernal “my favourite album” pieces.

So Clare Todd and I played the mix through quietly on the way back to Crail. It is a pretty good mix in that all the songs sound as though they’ve been hidden away on a “now that’s what I call Kentish B sides” compilation album. Okay, there’s maybe a band from Norwich in here. Needless to say I didn’t recognise a single track, nor did CT, so full marks for out foxing us mainstream music lovers. I played the mix during many car trips to and fro Anstruther to set up and destroy our Lino at Neepso event, and on Saturday morning turned it up to test the musical knowledge of a hungover Withered Hand. After my “this is probably the worst song I’ve ever heard” introduction to track 3 Dan pipes up “I know this – it’s great. After his set I went up and hugged him”.

So, without much further ado, here is a brief description of the songs on my mix.

1. A mash up of the line “recalling all active agents” or something.

William S Burroughs - Recalling all Active Agents. Can't remember where I found this album. Not one to listen to a lot but nice as a pre-curser...or so I thought.

2. This is a girl vocal from back in the day, or maybe a retro attempt by an Angel Olsen type, that’s singing “friends to the end” as if running up and downstairs like a highly strung removal man. The guitar sound is the best that Ł60 spent on wood, plastic and strings can buy – I know, I had that very sound in the early 90s.

Weyes Blood - Maybe Love. From an EP from a couple years ago I think, when she first appeared it was all quite droney and gothic. Now she seems more torch song Lana Del Rey but I still like her.

3. The contents of a handbag song by Richard Dawson. It’s not great at all.

Richard Dawson - Wooden Bag. He is a challenging listen and I do prefer a session version on YouTube of this song to the recorded one. I expected this one to be a bit like Twiglets. I love twiglets.

4. There’s some Thom Yorke styled lazy pronunciation going on here over brittle drum programming and a toy piano. I quite like it and I too can feel the night now.

OD Davey - Black Seas. I think I got this from an end of year list from last year. I've seen the Thom Yorke comparison before which I'm not sure I get. Fisher Price instrumentation but a bit of an ear worm.

5. Slap back echo on the “thou shalt not kill” vocals, shuffling drums underneath punctuated by some bad heavy handed delays. Shame.

Elvis Depressedly - Thou Shall Not Murder. The first of a few from the Orchid Tapes label I got into for a bit then it passed as it's all a bit samey. I don't think I like it that much either but it's not as bad as that name.

6. Pitch shifting and all very indie for 1 minute and 22 seconds, mercifully.

Katie Dey - unkillable. The second offering from the Orchid Tapes label, she's Australian I think and this is probably the most straight ahead track from her debut album. All her tracks seem to be pitch shifted, distorted and circuit bent within an inch of their middle eights but I quite like it. I fully expected you to hate it.

7. This voice sounds familiar, the song organ driven with backwards guitar. The “daowntaown” reminds me a bit of Paul Buchanan, but it’s not him. I like this one.

Majical Cloudz - Downtown. I love this song, it's slightly creepy lyrics and even the video is unintentionally creepy. They've split now and it can get a bit samey (that word again, this reveal is getting samey) but this probably their best song although their debut album is better than the second one that this lives on.

8. This is the most interesting song in the collection, is it Sianspheric? My tinnitus thanks whomever it is, but by 4 minutes odd my other ear has become quite tired trying to hear through it, whatever ‘it’ is.

Ian William Craig - A Single Hope. I agree. He's a Canadian classically trained singer who likes a drone and manipulating a tape loop. I've gotten into a lot of droning type stuff lately and this guy in particular. From the album Centres but he has a few. When I say a few, I mean a slack handful. You'd make him look like Lee Mavers.

9. Drum machine, something is slightly out of tune, and there’s no one crying over me neither.

American Wrestlers - There's No One Crying Over Me Either. Scottish guy, was in Working For A Nuclear Free City (never heard of them) moved to America, made an album using a drum machine whilst waiting for a green card. Put it on bandcamp and got signed. There's an uncool 90's layer to their sound but I really like them. There's a new drum machine free album out this week. Turns out he's Roddy Frames nephew.

10. This is great. It’s a pity it was recorded through the door of the rehearsal room though, eh?

One More Grain - Dolittle Jig. It is great. I don't know much about them but I read about them on The Quietus website. I think it's a duo and there might be a Scottish Island somewhere. Droning one chord songs with acoustic instruments. What's not to like?

11. Piano and handclaps mainly, and not Elton John. Not The Strokes guy is it? Player Piano maybe?
Ed Harcourt - Apple of my Eye. Got this EP years ago and it's got some really good songs on it. I've not heard anything else he's ever done though. Never wanted to either.

12. Another strummed acoustic, electric bass and finger clicks – the voice is way too quiet. Anyway, electric bass without drums shouldn’t be allowed, but then this could well be the one song the bass player wrote, mixed and insisted made the out takes CD 5 of the boxset.

Jason Riddell - Wendy Please. Unsigned (I think) chap biding in Glasgow. Some guys I know seem to know him and that's how I heard this when he played in Falkirk one mid wintery mid summers night. He played a cover of Something To Believe In then too. So he must be alright.

13. Ah, a girl led charge to keep up with the drum machine. Totally uninspiring and a Mercury Music Prize winner no doubt.

RL Kelly - You're Not The Only Monster From Hell. Another shit name, another Orchid Tapes number. I like the chorus though.

14. Now, who sports a banjo and a nasally voice? Julian Cope? Skippy the bush kangaroo?

Richard Youngs - The Future Is So Different Today. It's all very ramshackle but it always puts me in mind of Lone Pigeon. That's never a bad thing although this isn't a patch on LP. Obviously.

15. At last we’re out of the doldrums and into something by someone who likes the album “Song” by It’s Immaterial. I let it play to the end, make sure there's no secret track ... nope, more banjo though.

Deerhunter - Ad Astra. One of the songs from their last album,this one is written and sung by the guitarist.The frontman Bradford Cox seems like an interesting if exhausting fellow. This is really different from the stuff he writes though. Big fan of Deerhunter and a big fan of this song.

I’ve been a tough audience. I once played “Eden” by EBTG to a pal’s dad and 10,000 Maniacs to my own dad back in the day, similar reaction. Well mixed though Sir, and I thank you for the songs 4, 7, 8, 10 and 15.
I fully expected you to be a tough audience. The mix didn't end up being what I'd originally intended due to being unable to get my hands on some of the albums. It ended up being a bit half arsed but I take solace that the ones I ended up disliking were all ones you disliked too. It's true that these mixes can end up being obscure for obscures sake. I do vow to make the next mix fit to burst with melodic smashes but that's for another time. I'm glad you liked a few of em.

kwaing

« Reply #22 on: Wed, Nov 09, 2016, 13:58 PM »
OD Davey, Magical Cloudz, Deerhunter and Ian William Craig are all about to become 75p richer if my own CD royalties are anything to go by. Of course, they'll lose 7p in packaging costs, up to a quarter of that to their producers, and then a quarter of what's left to any managers ... But it's still about 10,000 times the Spotify equivalent. Smashing  8)

klv

« Reply #23 on: Wed, Nov 09, 2016, 22:11 PM »
Mick’s Demotions

Really enjoyed being part of this group and loved receiving the anonymous CD. Whisked me back to 1989 so it did.  Nice artwork – erm, is the photo some sort of whipping pole?
From the comfort of my living room, this CD took me on a magical, mixed, oft melancholic and totally mysterious tour...

1. Slow melodic rhythmic beat. Female vocals. An appealing flavour of some underground Beatnik club circa 1950.  This would get me off my seat to dance, for sure. No idea who it is but I like it.  I like it a lot.

2. Whoa, we’re jumping a continent, or two.  Nice carry through of beat with a wicked switch of genre. Having visited the Dark Continent recently I’m still in the zone for the djembes (sp?). Like it.

3. Another female vocalist. Going by the lyrics, I’m guessing that the title is something like ‘Cycles of Life', but again I’ve no idea.  Perhaps a wee bit insipid for my liking.

4. Albert Einstein? Friedrich Nietzsche? Sigmund Freud? Walter Benjamin?  Any of these guys could have provided the vocals for this tune.  Weird but pretty danceable, which makes it a goer.

5.  Aah, we seem to be taking a slow meander through France now, to a (seedy) wee club down a back lane in Paris - post war (just to set the scene). 
I’m going to guess that the female vocalist is Jane Birkin?  My French is terrible so I’m not even going to attempt the spelling of what would be a (guessed) song title.

6.  Still hanging out in post war Paris.  I like hanging here and it seems I’m managing to pick up some basic French, hence my picking up the fact that they’re (duet) singing about Les Papillons Noir.  I recognise Serge Gainsbourg but not sure of female vocalist.   

7.  We’ve left the seedy club now but I feel like we’re still in France? This place has a soft psychedelic vibe. A chair to dance floor tune. Not bad.  No idea – some elements do resonate of the Violent Femmes though…   

8.  The purity and sincerity of this harp (solo) whisks us out of the Parisian nightclubs. Jury is out on this one.

9. Slow with a hint of sadness. This is definitely the reflective walk back home after a night of intercontinental, time-travel and dancing. I do appreciate a bit of melancholy.   

10. Confirmed.  This ‘lullaby’ is soothing my post Parisian party come down.  Like. 

11.  Tears for Fears? This number is feeding my post Paris hangover.

12. Whoop! Whoop!  2:48 mins of Natalie Merchant, 10,000 Maniacs - Can’t Ignore. Love Natalie. This brings back so many good memories of places and people long ago. An unexpected and delightful addition in the mix! This makes me want to shake off my melancholy and get ready to go out again….. 

13. Or maybe not...although I do like the guitars on this one.

14. ?   

I quite often catch myself humming number 1. Other highlights: 2, 7, 9, 10, and of course, number 12.

...looking forward to the intro's!

Thanks!

klv

« Reply #24 on: Wed, Nov 09, 2016, 23:18 PM »
Thanks KLV for making and sending my mix cd. I know there were some technical issues and I appreciate the effort that went into making it. The artwork on the first blank cd was nice and the postcard with the second was even nicer! Thanks!  :)

So, the cd itself…. Overall a very nice wee listen. Some I liked and some that I didn’t. I think the ones I didn’t like are down to personal taste – I seem to have a thing about certain types of singers that just wind me up. Maybe it’s because I’m such a great singer myself. Not really. Anyway, like all music, it’s all relative, or something.

1 This starts with Piano/organ chords and processed vocals fading in and out. An electro beat kicks in about halfway through. The whole thing is a bit odd though – like we are only getting one half of a song and the other half is somewhere else. I dunno. Is it supposed to sound like this? If it is it’s very odd. I think I’d like the whole song if it exists.

2 Super Fast Disco Grooves about being born to be alive. Love the guitar line in this. It’s not the sort of thing I’d listen to much on its own but if it came on at a party or something I could imagine it being quite good fun to dance to.

3 Singer thing Exhibit A. The chilled out track behind this is quite nice but the guy going on about a girl being like a flower sounds a bit like Jarvis cocker which puts me right off cos he’s a twat.

4 Sharp guitars…loud drums. More like it. A bit of attitude! Modern punk/pop song about parties/traffic lights/movies. Very catchy but with a bit of snarl. Bet this would be great live. I like this.

5 Big rock guitar and drums intro to this indy rock anthemy sort of song. This is ok if a bit straight forward for me. Whoever Jolene is should tell the singer to do one.

6 Surf pop/rocknroll about a GTO sports car. This would be better if gummi Bako done it but you could say that about anything.

7 Singer thing Exhibit B This is quite a nice uptempo folk/rock song but I dunno about the singer. He’s either taking himself too seriously or not seriously enough. Not bad overall though after a few listens. Good.

8 Big band jazz that’s all swing and trumpets. Quite enjoyable. This could be longer.

9 Auld Scots crooner singing red red rose. Quite lovely really. Nice. Some of these other guys should take notes.

10 Singer thing Exhibit C. Jingly jangly indie pop. Probably a big hit in 90’s student unions all over the uk. Not really my thing though. Sorry.

11 Singer thing Exhibit D. Sounds like Jarvis cocker again but I don’t think it is. Christ, I really can’t stand the way this guy sings. I feel sorry for the rest of the band. They’re ok. In fact I bet they hate him too. They should start a new band with the scots crooner guy from song 9.

12 This seems to be someone trying to chat up a girl over a sort of indie/jazz kinda thing. It’s not working. I mean the music itself is good but the angry French chic doesn’t sound like she’s having any of it. I think she thinks the singer is an idiot. I’d agree.

13 I like this.

14 This nearly got a singer thing exhibit thing but it’s just a guy belting out a song about skeletons or the king of spain or a steady brain? At least he sounds like he means it which I don’t think can be said for Exhibits A-D. This is ok but I actually think he sounds better in the quiet bit at the end.

15 And the end…..a nice gentle reggae/ska number. This is nice. Good stuff.

Sorry if any of the singers I’ve had a go at are people you know. It’s all just my half arsed opinion which really doesn’t count for much anyway!

Although there are one or two I recognise, I don’t think I actually know who any of these bands/singers are so I’m looking forward to the reveal.

Some interesting songs/artists I’d like to know more about – tracks 4/8/9/12/13 and 15 especially. The first one could be good as well!!

Thanks again for the cd. Although I’ve slagged off one or two tracks I actually really enjoyed listening to the whole cd. Good work KLV!! ;D ;D ;D

:'( :'( :'(

Automatically logged out of forum after spending (longer than allocated) 60 mins revealing tunes. The dog actually jumped at my expletives!  Sorry Fuctifano - I know that the suspense must be killing you so shall endeavour to redo it over weekend. 

ravedamage

« Reply #25 on: Thu, Nov 10, 2016, 10:51 AM »
The CDR entitled "THIS IS...MIXCLUB" arrived about two days after Fuddy sent out the names to us.
I've listened to it for almost a month noo. Here goes.

The Disclaimer:

This was the toughest mixclub review I've ever had to write thus far. Didn't have a clue what was going on for most of the first half of the mix...or a lot of the second.
Also, the mix mostly consists of Foreign Musics (*waves Not A Racist placard*) about which I know very little.
I reckon a lot of this sort of thing gets played at Moon Hops, despite having never been to one.

The 'Review':

It all started off with a kind of flanged, reverb-y & techno-ish beat (very reminiscent of Plastikman).
Made me think of a William Onyeabor track I once heard, after some vocals kicked in.
Then into a nicely blended mix at 5.40...a track with more vox and a tribal feel...
Then a mix into something around the 8m 50s mark, which reminded me of the Stein House Mix of Modular by Air (the French ones), but this tune wasnae that.
Quite the funky wah-wah, disco-ish thing....and THAT synthy slap bass, mmmm.

The next mix, around the 12/13 mark, has some elements to the tune(s) which keep going up through to the 14/15/16 min mark...?
It's probably my favourite part of the mix. Someone knows their tunes very weel.

19.30ish...a tune that kind of reminds me of Pigbag...with cowbell and more Afrika sounding vox.
God, I sound like one of them racists, Ted.

So, not a scooby as to what any of these tracks were. A fine 20+ minutes of listening though.
That tune around the 12 to 16 minute mark with the descending bass/synth line thing, eh? Lush.

22 mins in...and a tune with nice drums and a Stevie Wonder-y, Superstition-y sounding organ/synthesised harpsichord.
Am a sucker for that sound.

Cross fade mix at 24 mins....sounds well clumsy contrasted to the earlier slickness.
Sounds like a late 60s, early 70s soul revue thing with all pots and pans percussion flung in and an African vocal.

26.20...a skanky little number, bit of Rhodes in there (?) and a vocal saying "chicos and chicas...get dancing". I'm clueless.

29 mins...nice bassline, reverbed vox and...aye, finally...it's definitely the King. Michael Jackson.
(Is it fuck...nae clue have I)

35 mins in a funky little track which proclaims "hey JC, you're the man for me".
I originally heard this as "hey KC..." and thought that was a right wee clever Fence nod to bung in to a Mixclub mix.

36 mins in is a neat wee version of Don't You Just Know It, sadly not the unsurpassable original by Amazulu.

39 is another cover, this time Woolly Bully.

41 mins...stabby organ riddim thing. I should write for MOJO.

45mins-ish...nice mix...??.....46mins...no it's no, still the same track.

49 mins in and it is a track I know bits of but cannae place for the life of me. Calypsomungous.

56.20 is a disco-y number...with a "that man of mine" vocal refrain...something I think I'm familiar with but cannae mind what.

59.30 and it's a slow-dance to end on. Well, as slow as this mix gets. 'Some Talk About Love'?
Has a lovely, swirly keyboard riff...very nice ending on a downtempo note..

The Epilog:

All in all, this is just over an hour of a fine mix.
Ordinarily, it's stuff that I rarely listen to, except when I buy, say, a compilation like Screamers, Bangers & Cosmic Synths.

It's certainly a damn sight easier to listen to than write about.

I think Stephen might have made this mix.

8.5/10

czefski

« Reply #26 on: Thu, Nov 10, 2016, 11:43 AM »
I haven't received mine yet, would be nice to have it before I go on holiday on Sunday...just saying.

kwaing

« Reply #27 on: Thu, Nov 10, 2016, 17:27 PM »
Mick’s Demotions

1. Slow melodic rhythmic beat. Female vocals. An appealing flavour of some underground Beatnik club circa 1950.  This would get me off my seat to dance, for sure. No idea who it is but I like it.  I like it a lot.

Laura Gibson - I actually *love* her, often playing nothing but the 4 albums I have of hers for days on end. Here's the lyric of a song called "my find" and this is more of a reveal than anything else I shall contribute to this thread.

I thought you were my find and there I sit
All puffed up and believing in my stars.
Now I've hunted down your records going six or seven years back in time
And each one better than my last.
In fact, your songs are up there with the best of Withered Hand ...

Well, you get the gist. Class act, Laura Gibson. 

2. Whoa, we’re jumping a continent, or two.  Nice carry through of beat with a wicked switch of genre. Having visited the Dark Continent recently I’m still in the zone for the djembes (sp?). Like it.

Gav Broon got me a best of compilation by Susumu Yokota a few years back, but I prefer the album "Sakura". Everyone I've played "Sakura" to has written down the album title using a pen of my choosing.

3. Another female vocalist. Going by the lyrics, I’m guessing that the title is something like ‘Cycles of Life', but again I’ve no idea.  Perhaps a wee bit insipid for my liking.

Amy Duncan, another of PHA11's employers, soon to appear at a fence event near me.

4. Albert Einstein? Friedrich Nietzsche? Sigmund Freud? Walter Benjamin?  Any of these guys could have provided the vocals for this tune.  Weird but pretty danceable, which makes it a goer.

Holger Czukay. On a late trip back from some far flung gig in England I played this record in the car, and at an opportune moment in opener "Invisible Man" the aforementioned Gav Broon leaned forward from the back seat to sing "what, has he farted?". Okay, I'll have to pause a moment for that still makes me howl with laughter ...

5.  Aah, we seem to be taking a slow meander through France now, to a (seedy) wee club down a back lane in Paris - post war (just to set the scene). 
I’m going to guess that the female vocalist is Jane Birkin?  My French is terrible so I’m not even going to attempt the spelling of what would be a (guessed) song title.

Jane Birkin.

6.  Still hanging out in post war Paris.  I like hanging here and it seems I’m managing to pick up some basic French, hence my picking up the fact that they’re (duet) singing about Les Papillons Noir.  I recognise Serge Gainsbourg but not sure of female vocalist.   

Serge Gainsbourg.

7.  We’ve left the seedy club now but I feel like we’re still in France? This place has a soft psychedelic vibe. A chair to dance floor tune. Not bad.  No idea – some elements do resonate of the Violent Femmes though…   

"do you do" by Francois Marry.

8.  The purity and sincerity of this harp (solo) whisks us out of the Parisian nightclubs. Jury is out on this one.

Catriona McKay.

9. Slow with a hint of sadness. This is definitely the reflective walk back home after a night of intercontinental, time-travel and dancing. I do appreciate a bit of melancholy.   

10. Confirmed.  This ‘lullaby’ is soothing my post Parisian party come down.  Like. 

11.  Tears for Fears? This number is feeding my post Paris hangover.

12. Whoop! Whoop!  2:48 mins of Natalie Merchant, 10,000 Maniacs - Can’t Ignore. Love Natalie. This brings back so many good memories of places and people long ago. An unexpected and delightful addition in the mix! This makes me want to shake off my melancholy and get ready to go out again….. 

13. Or maybe not...although I do like the guitars on this one.

14. ?   

Des Lawson is due to arrive any minute now, so those last tracks in random order are by TFF, Damien Jurado, Talk Talk, Low, 10,000 Maniacs and something off of the Under The Skin S/T.

Thanks!

's alright.

stephen

« Reply #28 on: Thu, Nov 10, 2016, 19:40 PM »
Is that Deerhunter album good enough for me to give a proper listen Filthy? I didn't enjoy it the first 4 times in the car, but that happens sometimes, and i normally love them. Might have been tainted by buying that Fat White Family pish on the same day. I should stay away from rock.

By the way, i can't think of anywhere else to say it, but i really don't like Robbie Williams, and his new single is now top of my least favourite songs of all time, with Two Princes by the Spindoctors, Chumbawumba and some other shite.

FilthySwan

« Reply #29 on: Fri, Nov 11, 2016, 08:14 AM »
I like the album but it's not my favourite of theirs. 9 songs three of which are brilliant, 4 are decent to good standard if over polished Deerhunter songs. 1 I can't remember and 1 that is a dirge. Make of that what you will. Would love to see them.