Author Topic: MIXCLUB REVIEW THREAD  (Read 7188 times)

stephen

Re: MIXCLUB REVIEW THREAD
« Reply #30 on: Fri, Nov 11, 2016, 11:07 AM »
What are the three brilliant ones? Actually, i find that with them, even with Atlas Sound and all those home recordings, they all have about three amazing songs and a lot of mince.

man goes into a butcher, 'can i have a mince round please'
Butcher - 'aye, but don't knock anything over'.

stephen

« Reply #31 on: Fri, Nov 11, 2016, 11:07 AM »
Threadjack.

stephen

« Reply #32 on: Fri, Nov 11, 2016, 11:08 AM »
Did i mention the new Lomond Campbell album, with Captain Geeko on drums and PHA11 making strings vibrate?

FilthySwan

« Reply #33 on: Fri, Nov 11, 2016, 16:55 PM »
What are the three brilliant ones? Actually, i find that with them, even with Atlas Sound and all those home recordings, they all have about three amazing songs and a lot of mince.

man goes into a butcher, 'can i have a mince round please'
Butcher - 'aye, but don't knock anything over'.

Breaker.
Snakeskin
Ad Astra

Yup there's always an unevenness to the Deerhunter and Atlas Sound albums but I think Fading Frontier was an attempt at making a cohesive album. They just about pulled it off as well.

a.heathen

• Wherever I go so does me go.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, Nov 12, 2016, 16:07 PM »
Whatevs hijackers.

Back to the gift of music.

1. Boogy woogy as loved then walked over by Jools Holland. About a drunk trying to convince he is not drunk so his "gal" does not steal his money.

2. Oye Music.
Nice opening salvo, mixer.
Lyrically poignant in my recent history.
Like a hot chilli dipped in honey.

3. Nick Cave Salutes The Magic Of The Shend Out Of The Very Things?
Is this Grinderman?
Likeable romp but it's jarred me out of the nice place.

4. A successful mash up of the hits of Oasis and Green Day the american punk folk for idiots and children.
Is that a couple of other bands muxed into the thrawn?
Ah yes it ends with more American rawk.
They dont really seem to have thought this mash up through lyrically.
But i like it like i used to like Radio One Roadshow Bits And Pieces.

5. On third listen this is just a bit insipid.
Electro pop was dealt with nicely in track 2.

6. This is better. Tunng sounding triphop and some sort of rapper. Probably famous and i should know more.
Do his other raps have the same positive trip going down ?

7. Lady rock singer who Chucky was in love with. To the uninitiated, she seems to be delivering an improving cover of Wet Wet Wet's Sweet Little Mystery. But then i haven't listened to those lyrics.
A more soulful spin on that stuff Texas used to do. They probably would like to be her.

8. 1970s vibe and flute intro. Triangle.
Unmistakable alt country soul of Lambchop. I really want him to sing more and the track to be 11 minutes long.
So i listen to it twice in a row.

9. Withered Hand with another of his tales from the seedy under belly of American culture.

10. Beth Orton would have been nice after that Lambchop track. Just an observation not a criticism.  Liking this section of the mix. And tganks forvthe reassuring lyrics here.
On paper or internet pixel when i see her name i momentarily confuse her with Beth Gibbons.
This Beth painted some rocks out near Joshua Tree for a pop video. Which was a bad thing to do.
She had a lovely voice though.

11. North country folk singing about Edinburgh? No doubt another great artist from outside my venn diagram.

12. This is that awfully twee cover of You're The One That I Want that did some adverts. Twee covers really are the worst aspect of the corporationisation of pop music. Sometimes they work.
Mostly they sap the living life out of you.

13. Most interesting folk voice that i probly ought to know. It also has a cautionary lyric about difficult it is to fall in love these days. Paradoxically cheers me up in the face of the preceding song.

14. Manu Chao instantly recognised and i love him. Smiles all round. one of the best remixes of his work. Features samples from other tunes i have and retains the solo by Tiny Clanger mid-song.

15. I vaguely recognise song and singer. Suspect it's a cover of one of them emo bands. Or Tori Amos. Is it her from her covers album? No it isn't but i like this too.
Singer is like Lauren Hoffman.
You should check her music out.

16. Sensual start with whispering. The sort of thing The Flipping Dischord kiwi comedy band do in a funny way but this is cool. C double-O L.
When the brass kicks in i realise i have some albums by this chap and should get on them.

17.  Rhythm & Blues classics from when R&B meant that. I dont know who all these people are but they are very listenable. I appreciate this.

18. What is this? The story of my life?
Not excited to be honest. I prefer these songs sung by Harry Nilsson or a contemplative Billy Joel.
Totally should have switched these last two and finished on a high.

I enjoyed this mix.
There are several tracks i could listen to in their own right.
Please advise me of the names etc.

Thanks mixer.

We now return you to Deerhunter tangent.

Cameleon

« Reply #35 on: Sun, Nov 13, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Thanks for your review Ade.

Hokey Cokey
Here's the reveal....

1 Boogy woogy as loved then walked over by Jools Holland. About a drunk trying to convince he is not drunk so his "gal" does not steal his money.

Big Joe Turner – Wine O Baby Boogie

From the Album “The Boss of the Blues” and also featured  on ”The Forties  Jumpin’ the Blues”. Led by bandleader Pete Johnson, this recording dates back all the way to 1949 and was years ahead of it’s time.  Tributes are fine but there’s nothing like an original.

2. Oye Music.
Nice opening salvo, mixer.
Lyrically poignant in my recent history.
Like a hot chilli dipped in honey.

The Whitest Boy Alive – Golden Cage (Fred Falke Remix)

Spot on Ade.  For the benefit of our fellow hubbers, Norwegian Erland Oye is better known as the founder of Kings of Convenience but also led this Norwegian/German band.  The original is shorter and is from their 2006 eponymous album but I love this mix by Fred Falke who, as well as being a French House DJ, is a superb bassist.

3. Nick Cave Salutes The Magic Of The Shend Out Of The Very Things?
Is this Grinderman?
Likeable romp but it's jarred me out of the nice place.

The Birthday Party – Big Jesus Trash Can

Not quite Grinderman  but that’s close enough.  From the 1982 album Junkyard and featuring a suitably tanked up Nick Cave.  The bands bass player was locked up for drunk driving just after this track was recorded and was replaced by Mancunian Barry Adamson who played bass  with The Buzzcocks temporarily and then helped form Magazine with Howard Devoto.

4. A successful mash up of the hits of Oasis and Green Day the american punk folk for idiots and children.
Is that a couple of other bands muxed into the thrawn?
Ah yes it ends with more American rawk.
They dont really seem to have thought this mash up through lyrically.
But i like it like i used to like Radio One Roadshow Bits And Pieces.

Green Day/Oasis – Boulevard of Broken Songs (Mash Up)

I used to be obsessed with Mash Ups and included this because it’s one of the best examples of the genre with samples that will be overfamiliar to everyone.  There’s some Travis in there too and the close is from Aerosmith.  Produced by Californian Party Ben in 2004 who went on to create the Green Day Mash Album American Edit under the pseudonym of Dean Gray.  I wanted to include something familiar but still unusual to offset the obscurities.

5. On third listen this is just a bit insipid.
Electro pop was dealt with nicely in track 2.

GusGus – Barry (Gigi Galaxy Remix)

I was tempted to include a track by Kaleo but since the BBC have started featuring them in a lot of  trailers decided on the less well known GusGus from Reykjavik.  This is from their 1997 album Polydistortion and was mixed by Gary Martin, a Detroit Techno producer.  Point taken because it is bland when compared to Erland Oye.  Perhaps I should have gone for Kaleo after all.

6. This is better. Tunng sounding triphop and some sort of rapper. Probably famous and i should know more.
Do his other raps have the same positive trip going down ?

Roots Manuva – On a High

Hmmnnn! Good question.  British Hip Hop is a bit marmite.  When it’s done well it is amazing and his rhymes work so well with different genres and time signatures like this. His 2015 album Bleeds has been re-released this year to include a second disc of mixes including Four Tet and Adrian Sherwood.  Highly recommended as it now includes this new track.  The original album within the double pack has more traditional beats and might not have the same appeal

7. Lady rock singer who Chucky was in love with. To the uninitiated, she seems to be delivering an improving cover of Wet Wet Wet's Sweet Little Mystery. But then i haven't listened to those lyrics.
A more soulful spin on that stuff Texas used to do. They probably would like to be her.

Rickie Lee Jones – Little Mysteries

Top marks again Ade. Almost as well known once for being Tom Waits girlfriend as for her own smoky solo work.  From the 2003 album “The evening of my best day”.  This track was produced by Steve Berlin of Los Lobos but the connection with the Wets is totally coincidental.

8. 1970s vibe and flute intro. Triangle.
Unmistakable alt country soul of Lambchop. I really want him to sing more and the track to be 11 minutes long.
So i listen to it twice in a row.

Lambchop – Up with people (Zero 7 Dub Mix)

As you obviously know the original version is from the album Nixon from 2000 but was remixed by Henry Binns and Sam Hardaker of Zero 7.  Kurt Wagner is still there in the mix but hard to find.  I’m so glad you liked this version.

9. Withered Hand with another of his tales from the seedy under belly of American culture.

Withered Hand – California

Dan can do no wrong in my book (even after a Cragganmore or three) and this track has stayed on my playlist since New Gods came out.  I had the great pleasure of seeing him perform it solo at the Triassic Tusk launch party.  Produced by Tony Doogan who has also worked with Mogwai,  Belle & Sebastian.  Sheer Poetry.

10. Beth Orton would have been nice after that Lambchop track. Just an observation not a criticism.  Liking this section of the mix. And tganks forvthe reassuring lyrics here.
On paper or internet pixel when i see her name i momentarily confuse her with Beth Gibbons.
This Beth painted some rocks out near Joshua Tree for a pop video. Which was a bad thing to do.
She had a lovely voice though.

Beth Orton – Couldn’t cause me harm

Absolutely.  Familiar turf again. From the 1999 album Central Reservation  and produced  by Australian Victor Van Vugt  who has also produced separate work by both Nick Cave and Barry Adamson.

11. North country folk singing about Edinburgh? No doubt another great artist from outside my venn diagram.

Kris Drever – Capernaum

From a live recording at Celtic Connections.  Kris Drever is from Orkney and is a founder member of Lau.  His picking and voice are faultless.  The song has also been released by the Tannahill Weavers and is based on a poem by Lewis Spence.  The studio version appears on Kris’s album ”If wishes were horses” released this year.

12. This is that awfully twee cover of You're The One That I Want that did some adverts. Twee covers really are the worst aspect of the corporationisation of pop music. Sometimes they work.
Mostly they sap the living life out of you.

Angus and Julia Stone – You’re the one that I want

You know how some things seem a great idea at the time but later on you realise you’ve made a total dick of yourself?  Consider this a bit of a dick moment, particularly as it’s nothing like their usual output.  Angus Stone is hugely influenced by early Neil Young but I’m a collector of cover versions and this Grease cover comes from their 2010 EP Big Jet Plane.

13. Most interesting folk voice that i probly ought to know. It also has a cautionary lyric about difficult it is to fall in love these days. Paradoxically cheers me up in the face of the preceding song.

Cate Le Bon – Shoeing the bones

I was sorry that Cate moved to LA but I can understand that she needed to be closer to the sort of exposure she deserves.  Our loss and California’s gain.  This was recorded while she was still living in Cardiff and is from the “Me Oh My” album from 2009 and produced and engineered by Krissie Jenkins.

14. Manu Chao instantly recognised and i love him. Smiles all round. one of the best remixes of his work. Features samples from other tunes i have and retains the solo by Tiny Clanger mid-song.

Manu Chao – Me Gustas Tu

I had to edit the separate tracks together to include the clangers but I can’t believe I was ignorant of this for so long.  From the 1998 album Clandestino which Captain Geeko introduced to me.  Kwaing then suggested that I should also discover Mano Negra.  Oh Yes Indeed!

15. I vaguely recognise song and singer. Suspect it's a cover of one of them emo bands. Or Tori Amos. Is it her from her covers album? No it isn't but i like this too.
Singer is like Lauren Hoffman.
You should check her music out.

Sia – Breathe me (Four Tet Remix)

From the album “Colour the Small One” from 2004.  Sia was an original vocalist on the first Zero 7 album and just to keep the loose connections going for this selection, it was produced Jimmy Hogarth who, like Kris Drever, is also from the Orkneys.
This mix by Four Tet is in my opinion the definitive version.

16. Sensual start with whispering. The sort of thing The Flipping Dischord kiwi comedy band do in a funny way but this is cool. C double-O L.
When the brass kicks in i realise i have some albums by this chap and should get on them.

Barry Adamson – Jazz devil

Yup!  Another connection with previous tracks.  This is Barry Adamson again but this time as a solo artist.  Recorded in1998 and from the album. “As above, So below” and chosen to add a little Halloween flavour.  Cool with a capital C for sure.

17.  Rhythm & Blues classics from when R&B meant that. I dont know who all these people are but they are very listenable. I appreciate this.

Sonny Boy Williamson – Help Me

This is a single from 1963 and was apparently inspired by an early version of Green Onions by Booker T.   Produced by Leonard and Phil Chess (of the world famous Chess Records) and co written by the great Willie Dixon.  This was going to be the track to close the mix but then……

18. What is this? The story of my life?
Not excited to be honest. I prefer these songs sung by Harry Nilsson or a contemplative Billy Joel.
Totally should have switched these last two and finished on a high.

Steve Goodman – Old Fashioned (Live 1976)

While I was preparing the disc to burn I was also archiving a batch of cassettes from many years ago and I got a bit distracted by this  I first heard Steve Goodman play live in 1976,  The studio version was released that year on the album “Words we can dance to”.  I threw it in at the end but with hindsight I should have left my nostalgia off the mix.  My apologies but I’m so pleased you’ve enjoyed the bulk of it and I will certainly check out Lauren Hoffman

And now back to the Deerhunter thread.  Bradford Cox wrote a lovely eulogy for Leonard Cohen a few days ago and included his favourite line….”even damnation is poisoned with rainbows”  I’m left speechless.

a.heathen

• Wherever I go so does me go.
« Reply #36 on: Sun, Nov 13, 2016, 13:13 PM »
5. GusGus.
I like lots of Icelandic music. Knew of these from Hafdis Huld.

12. Pm me your address and I'll send you some covers.
This one just feels like its from The Template.

14. He's great fun, especially live.
And has worked with a number of people of interest.
I followed some links to Radiochango way back after discovering his work. They seem to have ended now.

Going to check out some Sia and some Black Mirror soundtrack songs.

Cactus Breath

« Reply #37 on: Wed, Nov 16, 2016, 09:27 AM »
FYI I have just received my CD and will review it soon, things are a bit busy at the mo are Mrs CB has me painting the hallway after work!

fuctifano

« Reply #38 on: Wed, Nov 16, 2016, 22:03 PM »
The CDR entitled "THIS IS...MIXCLUB" arrived about two days after Fuddy sent out the names to us.
I've listened to it for almost a month noo. Here goes.

The Disclaimer:

This was the toughest mixclub review I've ever had to write thus far. Didn't have a clue what was going on for most of the first half of the mix...or a lot of the second.
Also, the mix mostly consists of Foreign Musics (*waves Not A Racist placard*) about which I know very little.
I reckon a lot of this sort of thing gets played at Moon Hops, despite having never been to one.

Hi Rave Damage,
It’s no secret that I think moon hop is the best thing since sliced butter so this mix was somewhat influenced by that. I’m not saying these songs are as good as those played at moonhop but I enjoyed rolling them all together and having a wee dance while I done so.

The 'Review':

It all started off with a kind of flanged, reverb-y & techno-ish beat (very reminiscent of Plastikman).
Made me think of a William Onyeabor track I once heard, after some vocals kicked in.
I know what oneyeabor song you mean (I think) and I like a lot of his stuff. This is Sacred Dance of the Demon by Damian Lazarus & The Ancient Moons.
Then into a nicely blended mix at 5.40...a track with more vox and a tribal feel...

I bought one of those virtual dj controller things (flashy lights an’ aw’ hing!) and was quite pleased with the way some of these songs ‘blended’ together. Carl cox won’t be losing any sleep over in Ibiza but it’s good fun mucking about to see/hear what’s possible. This is Kouna Kountoum (Sabo & Goldcap Black Rock Edit)

Then a mix into something around the 8m 50s mark, which reminded me of the Stein House Mix of Modular by Air (the French ones), but this tune wasnae that.
Quite the funky wah-wah, disco-ish thing....and THAT synthy slap bass, mmmm.

I had to edit this one a bit cos theres a really long middle section which I found boring. I think your description about sums it up though. Not sure who the guy talking is though. This is by Evil Smarty.

The next mix, around the 12/13 mark, has some elements to the tune(s) which keep going up through to the 14/15/16 min mark...?
It's probably my favourite part of the mix. Someone knows their tunes very weel.

Aye, thanks! I really like this one too. It’s quite ‘dancey’ but theres something a wee bit melancholy about the vocal line. But the bass bit is great innit!?

19.30ish...a tune that kind of reminds me of Pigbag...with cowbell and more Afrika sounding vox.
God, I sound like one of them racists, Ted.

It’s maybe a bit full on but when I first heard it I loved it. And it goes so well with the last one.
It’s a whiskey barons remix. They do mostly amazing stuff.

So, not a scooby as to what any of these tracks were. A fine 20+ minutes of listening though.
That tune around the 12 to 16 minute mark with the descending bass/synth line thing, eh? Lush.

22 mins in...and a tune with nice drums and a Stevie Wonder-y, Superstition-y sounding organ/synthesised harpsichord.
Am a sucker for that sound.

Me too. This has something to do with Al Kent who is a Glasgow based disco producer. I think.

Cross fade mix at 24 mins....sounds well clumsy contrasted to the earlier slickness.

Ah, well. This worked in my head! The Spanish talky bit is supposed to add mystery to the driving afro-disco beat of the previous track. But it maybe didn’t! never mind!

Sounds like a late 60s, early 70s soul revue thing with all pots and pans percussion flung in and an African vocal.
I’m a big fan of pots and pans percussion. Pow Wow by Manny Corchado

26.20...a skanky little number, bit of Rhodes in there (?) and a vocal saying "chicos and chicas...get dancing". I'm clueless.
Los Granadians Del Espacio Exterior. Latin jive talking about NYC.

29 mins...nice bassline, reverbed vox and...aye, finally...it's definitely the King. Michael Jackson.
(Is it fuck...nae clue have I)
Not the king – the clash! Sort of. I think they’ve borrowed the bass line from a clash song and made a song about how life is like driving a car. Stay focused, or something.

35 mins in a funky little track which proclaims "hey JC, you're the man for me".
I originally heard this as "hey KC..." and thought that was a right wee clever Fence nod to bung in to a Mixclub mix.

Aye, I hear it that way too. A wee funk song about an American president. Not trump. He’s just not that funky.

36 mins in is a neat wee version of Don't You Just Know It, sadly not the unsurpassable original by Amazulu.
This is a big hit with my kids – although they’d never admit it. It’s all shout out for my eggs round here.
This contains the lines
The older the woman, the more she teases
The younger the Couple, the tighter they squeeze
Is that true? Some deep thinking there. There is also the line
Gooba, gooba, gooba, gooba
Ah ha ha ha
So who knows what they were on.

39 is another cover, this time Woolly Bully.

Garage punk pop from Mexico. Got this on a compilation. I know not what Bule Bule means.

41 mins...stabby organ riddim thing. I should write for MOJO.

Now, I’m the first to admit that this probably goes on a bit too long but the band seem to be having a load of fun. So I love just for that.

45mins-ish...nice mix...??.....46mins...no it's no, still the same track.

49 mins in and it is a track I know bits of but cannae place for the life of me. Calypsomungous.
Another long player. I really like the way this starts out with not much going on but by the end theres a quite subtle groove that always gets me dancing about.

56.20 is a disco-y number...with a "that man of mine" vocal refrain...something I think I'm familiar with but cannae mind what.

This is a song that every girlfriend I’ve ever had hasn’t written for me. well maybe one

59.30 and it's a slow-dance to end on. Well, as slow as this mix gets. 'Some Talk About Love'?
Has a lovely, swirly keyboard riff...very nice ending on a downtempo note..
This was supposed to be something else, much slower and much more ‘cuddly’ but I think I got confused. Oh well.

The Epilog:

All in all, this is just over an hour of a fine mix.
Ordinarily, it's stuff that I rarely listen to, except when I buy, say, a compilation like Screamers, Bangers & Cosmic Synths.

It's certainly a damn sight easier to listen to than write about.

I think Stephen might have made this mix.

8.5/10

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed it! Tbh I’m not sure many others would !

Track List;
1 Sacred Dance of The Demon by Damian Lazarus & The Ancient Moons
2 Kouna Kountoum (Sabo & Goldcap Black Rock Edit) by Jil Jilala
3 This is… by Evil Smarty
4 Eye Nyam Nam 'A' Mensuro (Henrik Schwarz Blend) by TAYLOR, Ebo/PAT THOMAS/HENRIK SCHWARZ
5 Ningane (Whiskey Barons remix) by CAPTAIN PLANET feat FREDY MASSAMBA
6 Funky Funky Beat (album version) by Al Kent/Million Dollar Orchestra
7 Pow Wow by Manny Corchado
8 New York city by Los Granadians Del Espacio Exterior
9 Magnificent Dance (feat. The Black Shakespeare) by The Lions
10 The Peanut Man by Walter Foster
11 Don't You Just Know It by Huey 'Piano' Smith, The Clowns
12 Bule Bule by Los Shains
13 Ti lu Lupe by Scorpio Universel
14 El Manicero Se Va by Afro Festival Led By Fantastic Tchico Tchicaya
15 That Man of Mine by Betty Wright
16 Love Rock by Strangers

ravedamage

« Reply #39 on: Sat, Nov 26, 2016, 20:25 PM »
Nice one Fuddy, I will be checking some of these oot in full!

klv

« Reply #40 on: Sun, Nov 27, 2016, 20:11 PM »
Thanks KLV for making and sending my mix cd. I know there were some technical issues and I appreciate the effort that went into making it. The artwork on the first blank cd was nice and the postcard with the second was even nicer! Thanks!  :)

So, the cd itself…. Overall a very nice wee listen. Some I liked and some that I didn’t. I think the ones I didn’t like are down to personal taste – I seem to have a thing about certain types of singers that just wind me up. Maybe it’s because I’m such a great singer myself. Not really. Anyway, like all music, it’s all relative, or something.

1 This starts with Piano/organ chords and processed vocals fading in and out. An electro beat kicks in about halfway through. The whole thing is a bit odd though – like we are only getting one half of a song and the other half is somewhere else. I dunno. Is it supposed to sound like this? If it is it’s very odd. I think I’d like the whole song if it exists.

Song - Hiders
Band - Burial
It’s the oddness and haphazard change of beat that appeals to me.  This song irks of optimism, hope and expectation. I recommend listening to it when you’re out running….

2 Super Fast Disco Grooves about being born to be alive. Love the guitar line in this. It’s not the sort of thing I’d listen to much on its own but if it came on at a party or something I could imagine it being quite good fun to dance to.

Song – Born to Be Alive (Mix 79)
Artist – Patrick Hernandez
What can I say? Time to get on the dancefloor!

3 Singer thing Exhibit A. The chilled out track behind this is quite nice but the guy going on about a girl being like a flower sounds a bit like Jarvis cocker which puts me right off cos he’s a twat.

Song  - I Picked a Flower
Band – The Pastels (featuring Jarvis Cocker)
 ;D ;D ;D  Sorry Fuctifano! 

4 Sharp guitars…loud drums. More like it. A bit of attitude! Modern punk/pop song about parties/traffic lights/movies. Very catchy but with a bit of snarl. Bet this would be great live. I like this.

Song – You Made Me Like It
Band – 1990’s
Glasgow band that, yes, were superb live. Had the fortune to catch them quite a few times but unfortunately they weren’t around for too long. Another great one on the turntables down the disco!

5 Big rock guitar and drums intro to this indy rock anthemy sort of song. This is ok if a bit straight forward for me. Whoever Jolene is should tell the singer to do one.

Song – Joni
Band – Correcto
Another short lived but excellent Glasgow band.  Glasgow School of Art folk – think this may have been their only album.  Never seen them live but wish I had. 

6 Surf pop/rocknroll about a GTO sports car. This would be better if gummi Bako done it but you could say that about anything.

Song – Little GTO
Band – Bop A Dips
A film that I produced featured this song – it’s kind of stuck with me.  I totally agree – Gummi Bako could have a lot of fun with this.  Gummi?

7 Singer thing Exhibit B This is quite a nice uptempo folk/rock song but I dunno about the singer. He’s either taking himself too seriously or not seriously enough. Not bad overall though after a few listens. Good.

Song – Lost Coastlines
Band – Okkervil River
Will Sheff is almost as prolific and almost as talented as King Creosote. 
I selected this song out of their vast collection as I liked the introduction of Jonathan Meiburg’s voice into the OR mix.

8 Big band jazz that’s all swing and trumpets. Quite enjoyable. This could be longer.

Song – Walk That Mess
Artist - Tiny Bradshaw
This album belongs to my son, my son, so all credit for good taste has to go to him.

9 Auld Scots crooner singing red red rose. Quite lovely really. Nice. Some of these other guys should take notes.

Song – My Love is Like a Red Red Rose
Artist – Kenneth McKellar
This was on a mixed tape that I received back in the late 80’s. Nostalgic indulgence for me.

10 Singer thing Exhibit C. Jingly jangly indie pop. Probably a big hit in 90’s student unions all over the uk. Not really my thing though. Sorry.

Song – Soft As Your Face
Band – The Soup Dragons
Original drummer in this band made me lots of mixed tapes back in the late 80’s and early 90’s.

11 Singer thing Exhibit D. Sounds like Jarvis cocker again but I don’t think it is. Christ, I really can’t stand the way this guy sings. I feel sorry for the rest of the band. They’re ok. In fact I bet they hate him too. They should start a new band with the scots crooner guy from song 9.

Song – Marsha
Band – Scissors For Lefty
I hear what you’re saying about this.  Good band live!

12 This seems to be someone trying to chat up a girl over a sort of indie/jazz kinda thing. It’s not working. I mean the music itself is good but the angry French chic doesn’t sound like she’s having any of it. I think she thinks the singer is an idiot. I’d agree.

Song – Speak To Me
Band – Dominique

Berlin based band that were kicking about in the early noughties. My pal Dave played bass with them. I found the CD recently when I was tidying up my studio.  Just googled them and came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpDWnqq9c9o

13 I like this.

Song – When The Lights Went Dim
Band – The Rosebuds

14 This nearly got a singer thing exhibit thing but it’s just a guy belting out a song about skeletons or the king of spain or a steady brain? At least he sounds like he means it which I don’t think can be said for Exhibits A-D. This is ok but I actually think he sounds better in the quiet bit at the end.

Song - Deciduous
Band – nerd
My friend’s son is the singer/songwriter in nerd.  Known him since he was a nipper.  It’s great watching the next generation of talent coming through.

15 And the end…..a nice gentle reggae/ska number. This is nice. Good stuff.

Song – You’re Wondering Now
Band – The Specials
My favourite band back in the day.

Sorry if any of the singers I’ve had a go at are people you know. It’s all just my half arsed opinion which really doesn’t count for much anyway!

Although there are one or two I recognise, I don’t think I actually know who any of these bands/singers are so I’m looking forward to the reveal.

Some interesting songs/artists I’d like to know more about – tracks 4/8/9/12/13 and 15 especially. The first one could be good as well!!

Thanks again for the cd. Although I’ve slagged off one or two tracks I actually really enjoyed listening to the whole cd. Good work KLV!! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for your patience Fuctifano!  Your review made me laugh out loud  ;D
Looking forward to the next MixClub.....

fuctifano

« Reply #41 on: Mon, Nov 28, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Thanks KLV
I should really have recognised that soup dragons one. I was a bit of a fan for a while back in my youth.

Cactus Breath

« Reply #42 on: Tue, Nov 29, 2016, 14:16 PM »
This CD arrived with a small bottle of whisky which I enjoyed whilst listening to this comp.
1 Is this PIL?
2 Difficukt to describe this female vocals with fast paced music I like the style of this one.
3 Willaim Onyeabor - I got the 3 Lp greatest hits issue when it came out great music!
4 Sounds a bit like Barbarossa nice ambient style keys I like this
5 Instrumental tune I'll be interested to know who this is
6 Another instrumental difficult to describe.
7 Dreamy guitar led music which reminds me of The Twin peaks sound track as well as The Jack Joseph Band - nice.
8 same kind of drum beat/style as track 2 which I like
9 This sounds like Iron & Wine either way it's a great track.
10 A pleasant tune mellow enough with some nice glokenspiel?
11 A acoustic guitar led track, with nice percussion.
12 Some Americana, female led vocal well I think it's American anyway a nice tune indeed.
13 very nice acoustic track with male vocalist nice!
14 A very nice KC track it might be off his new LP I'm not sure as I have only listened to one side so far, besides which I have not yet completed my 5 year Uni course studying Kenny's discography!
15 A female voice which I like a lot with pump organ, cracking track

Well thank you very much mixer I enjoyed this CD several times whist doing the never ending decorating in my house!

arab

« Reply #43 on: Mon, Dec 05, 2016, 22:12 PM »

Luggy Mix - great cover cheers you know me too well who ever you are   Sorry for the delay. Blame two kids. I do. For everything.

Track 1 - no idea who this is but i love it, shimmery instrumental - like a junior sianspheric - right up my noisy street this

Track 2 - sort of nineties hushed vocals with a great bassline - to be fair this could be from   anytime from the sixties to now - manages not to stray into the cheese psych too.  not sure i woudl seek  out more by these guys but good all the same

Track3 - quite brilliant this afro arab beat - i feel like i recognise the voice but please remind me -  love the squigly guitar

Track 4 - always reminds me of lone pigeon schoozmii style  this but with a female vocals - more psych but this is more interesting to me than track 2

Track 5 - fanclub guitar - deep rolling fuzzy sound  - i know this but no matter how many times i have listened still cant place it - sort of slowdive nineties feel to it,  again reminds me of sianspheric... my obsession :-)

Track 6 - interesting enough male singer stuff - is it turin brakes?  bit faster than their stuff i have heard before but with a great effects pedal going on in the background.

Track 7 - nice male vocalist reminiscent of francois at times through this

Track 8 - bit too dylan esque for me and a little too neatly country for me.  not bad just a bit bland.  nice pedal steel on it.

Track 9 - back on track - love this guitar - this is found - great tune this - should be massive, probably one of my favourite on  this mix.  terra nova has to be the best found album so far.  i was kind of blown away at just how good it was.

TRack 10 - lovely female vocal with a lot of chiming noises rattling arounnd - like a female japanese singer takako minekawa in bits - would  like to hear more of this

Track 11- beautiful - sort of tune that made me love fence.  not that de rosa have anything to do with fence.  just that opening.  love this guys voice.  i need to buy more de rosa

Track 12 - bit more electronic this one - fragile female vocal with more odd wacvering sounds which keep it interesting - some of the picket fence releases are in this style - they did a split with con brio but i cannae recall it and all my picket fence releases are in boxes

Track 13 - change of pace finger picking country - very nice it is too

Track 14 - woman of the world take over.  i wish they bloody would - at least anyone but stupid old white guys

Cheers.

arab

« Reply #44 on: Mon, Dec 05, 2016, 22:44 PM »
This CD arrived with a small bottle of whisky which I enjoyed whilst listening to this comp.
1 Is this PIL?  Sleaford Mods - TCR
2 Difficukt to describe this female vocals with fast paced music I like the style of this one.  Stereolab - French Disko - an old one but still brilliant
3 Willaim Onyeabor - I got the 3 Lp greatest hits issue when it came out great music! Yes thats the one.
4 Sounds a bit like Barbarossa nice ambient style keys I like this  The magic lads from Olo Worms - Odoodem - the Image Ep - great band sadly no more
5 Instrumental tune I'll be interested to know who this is  Ass - Feud in, Feud Out.  Played Homegame once think he was part of the concretes band,  amazing guitarist.  Ass were his initials i seem to remember.  its a good album too
6 Another instrumental difficult to describe.  SIANspheric - Audiphone.  probably my favourite tune of all time.  hairs on the back of the neck every time and likely to be the main reason my hearing is as poor as it is!  one day i will hear this live and die content.
7 Dreamy guitar led music which reminds me of The Twin peaks sound track as well as The Jack Joseph Band - nice.  Acetone - Shobud   Sadly no more due to the loss of Ritchie Lee : well worth checking out tho
8 same kind of drum beat/style as track 2 which I like  American Analog Set - like foxes through fences.  great band not sure if they are still together or not??
9 This sounds like Iron & Wine either way it's a great track.   Yes bang on from the woman king ep
10 A pleasant tune mellow enough with some nice glokenspiel?   Field Music - its not the only way to feel happy - great album this.  my nod to modern.
11 A acoustic guitar led track, with nice percussion.   Djangos doing Slow West live
12 Some Americana, female led vocal well I think it's American anyway a nice tune indeed.    Alela Diane  - The Rifle.   love this tune
13 very nice acoustic track with male vocalist nice!   Morose Malky Middleton - Big Black Hole - as a relatively new dad this gives me goosebumps,  from his excellently depressing bonus acoustic album that went with Summer of 13.   
14 A very nice KC track it might be off his new LP I'm not sure as I have only listened to one side so far, besides which I have not yet completed my 5 year Uni course studying Kenny's discography!   This is from Oct 10th which was when i started the mix!  From Kennys dumps album when he reimagined tunes for lucky souls to have the tune from his diary that matched their birthday.  feb 15th is waltz off with the watch for example. This is dead mouse diary which you can also hear on TFLVTSOJE
15 A female voice which I like a lot with pump organ, cracking track  The amazing Jo Foster with a cover of KC's Little Heart.  One of my top five Kenny tunes covered by my favourite lady and its even better than i dared to hope.  To be fair she could sing the phone book and it would sound like the doors of heaven had opened.

Well thank you very much mixer I enjoyed this CD several times whist doing the never ending decorating in my house!  Glad you liked it sorry it took so long.