Author Topic: MIXCLUB REVIEW THREAD  (Read 7060 times)

Chaffinch

Re: MIXCLUB REVIEW THREAD
« Reply #60 on: Tue, Mar 21, 2017, 19:15 PM »
Many thanks to my mixer and sorry for taking so long to write about it.  I only recognised a couple of tracks which is good going. 

Tracks 1 and 2 didn't work on any CD player.  :-( 

I would have been quite happy with the mix to start with track 3 anyway.  This reminds me of Bruce Langhorn's soundtrack for The Hired Hand.  Lovely.  You should check this out - http://www.scissortailrecords.com/2016/12/the-hired-hands-tribute-to-bruce.html

Track 4 is a classic honky tonk country track.  No idea who it is but I like it.

Track 5  One of my favourites on the mix - is this Father John Misty or Jason Molina?  Either way it it's a great song.

Track 6  The Lone Pigeon's 'Lady'.  Not one of my favourites of Gordon's but still pretty special.

Track 7  A nice piece of soul.  Superb.

Track 8  Is this Mavis Staples?  Another cracking soul track.  Keen to check out more of this.

Track 9  Sixties calypso?  Not the sort of tune I'd listen to much but it's a fun track.

Track 10  Cracking saxophone led track.  Has a hint of The Specials about it - is it Jerry Dammers?  I'm probably way off but another excellent pick.

Track 11  I didn't really like this guitar-noise track.  Gave it a few listens but it didn't grow on me.

Track 12  Sounds like an American' Ghost/Acid Mothers band.  Pretty good.  Would like to know more about this artist.

Track 13  Spiritualized - I Think I'm In Love.  Top band, classic tune. 

Track 14  Black Sabbath drums and guitar riffs with a twee female singer.  An odd combination - but quirky and fun. 

It's not much of a review I know but I really liked most of the mix.  Thanks mixer - looking forward to the reveal.

Hullo - a reveal is awaited.  Ta.  :-)

Chaffinch

« Reply #61 on: Wed, May 31, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Many thanks to my mixer and sorry for taking so long to write about it.  I only recognised a couple of tracks which is good going. 

Tracks 1 and 2 didn't work on any CD player.  :-( 

I would have been quite happy with the mix to start with track 3 anyway.  This reminds me of Bruce Langhorn's soundtrack for The Hired Hand.  Lovely.  You should check this out - http://www.scissortailrecords.com/2016/12/the-hired-hands-tribute-to-bruce.html

Track 4 is a classic honky tonk country track.  No idea who it is but I like it.

Track 5  One of my favourites on the mix - is this Father John Misty or Jason Molina?  Either way it it's a great song.

Track 6  The Lone Pigeon's 'Lady'.  Not one of my favourites of Gordon's but still pretty special.

Track 7  A nice piece of soul.  Superb.

Track 8  Is this Mavis Staples?  Another cracking soul track.  Keen to check out more of this.

Track 9  Sixties calypso?  Not the sort of tune I'd listen to much but it's a fun track.

Track 10  Cracking saxophone led track.  Has a hint of The Specials about it - is it Jerry Dammers?  I'm probably way off but another excellent pick.

Track 11  I didn't really like this guitar-noise track.  Gave it a few listens but it didn't grow on me.

Track 12  Sounds like an American' Ghost/Acid Mothers band.  Pretty good.  Would like to know more about this artist.

Track 13  Spiritualized - I Think I'm In Love.  Top band, classic tune. 

Track 14  Black Sabbath drums and guitar riffs with a twee female singer.  An odd combination - but quirky and fun. 

It's not much of a review I know but I really liked most of the mix.  Thanks mixer - looking forward to the reveal.

Hullo - a reveal is awaited.  Ta.  :-)
bump

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #62 on: Wed, May 31, 2017, 10:42 AM »
I have to apologise to whoever sent me their mix cd.  I think it was Baldpar, is that right?   Anyway, the CD went missing - as they do - and I waited, as I knew it would turn up.  But it never did - As they don't!    Time passed and I waited some more, and the CD didn't turn up some more.

Before I knew it, it was May and I'd forgotten about it.   

So, again, my profuse apologies, I know it's shit when you make the effort and nothing comes of it.

Anyway, on the few listens I had before it went awol, here is the review.

Track 1.    Dance beat song with american accented voicoever.  Quite cute, the voiceover makes it interesting.  Can't remember what it was about.

Track 2.  Like track 1 but without the voiceover.

All remaining tracks:    Like track 2.   

It's all club music, like you might hear in Ibetha I think.   I can happily dad-dance - a bit - to that music but I wouldnt listen to it really. I prefer songs.

It's possible I might be mis-remembering it completely.  The reveal will reveal, if you can still be bothered.

Cheers Baldbar.
Franz.

kwaing

« Reply #63 on: Thu, Jun 01, 2017, 14:10 PM »
In the midst of my obsession with William Basinski's "disintegration loops" (read:- rejection of all other music made up of 'songs') I received what i thought to be an untimely mix CDR from PittenweeMeic the other day. What a nice gesture all the same ... and because my eye was drawn to the inclusion of the A-Ha song 'locust' at track 3, i stuck it on and went through to work at the kitchen table.

Time passed, and although i remember this being quite a long song for A-Ha, only after half an hour or so did i realise the CDR had been looping back on itself from random points in 'locust' to other random points in 'locust'. I dug out my Bush radio, tuned it to one of those long wave skittering 'morse code' frequencies, and left both sonic appliances running for at least another hour whilst the looped section got shorter and shorter as the CD player fought with the CDR. Reminded me of Hillfolk.

So, best mix ever, thank you sir.

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #64 on: Thu, Jun 01, 2017, 14:45 PM »
you're reinventing scratching, or your kit is in auto-scratch mode

abi hills

« Reply #65 on: Thu, Jun 01, 2017, 15:51 PM »
your kit is in auto-scratch mode

I had that checked out and the Doctor (Nice warm hands) gave me some pills. Back in business *winklol*

Cameleon

« Reply #66 on: Thu, Jun 01, 2017, 18:35 PM »
Oops! Perhaps my hard drive had been reading my mind because I was playing with random loops in the studio just before I burned the CDR and I had been watching a programme showing how they used to spread jam or other edibles on discs to demonstrate how infallible they were (never saw thee try a Fuctifano Dexter though). Played ok on the journey to Chez Kwaing but I can't think of a better disc fault than random loops of Locust ad infinitum.

Hmmmnn!  Intelligent CDRs that play what you subconsciously want to hear instead of the original!?

baldpar

« Reply #67 on: Thu, Jun 01, 2017, 21:40 PM »
I have to apologise to whoever sent me their mix cd.  I think it was Baldpar, is that right?   Anyway, the CD went missing - as they do - and I waited, as I knew it would turn up.  But it never did - As they don't!    Time passed and I waited some more, and the CD didn't turn up some more.

Before I knew it, it was May and I'd forgotten about it.   

So, again, my profuse apologies, I know it's shit when you make the effort and nothing comes of it.

Anyway, on the few listens I had before it went awol, here is the review.

Track 1.    Dance beat song with american accented voicoever.  Quite cute, the voiceover makes it interesting.  Can't remember what it was about.

Track 2.  Like track 1 but without the voiceover.

All remaining tracks:    Like track 2.   

It's all club music, like you might hear in Ibetha I think.   I can happily dad-dance - a bit - to that music but I wouldnt listen to it really. I prefer songs.

It's possible I might be mis-remembering it completely.  The reveal will reveal, if you can still be bothered.

Cheers Baldbar.
Franz.

Guilty as charged. I did warn you in a note with the CD that my musical taste isn't particularly obscure and I have always liked a bit of electronica.

The full reveal is -

Track 1 - Public Service Broadcasting - New Dimensions in Sound
Track 2 - Delorean Dynamite - Todd Terje
Track 3 - Better For Now - Miaoux Miaoux
Track 4 - I'm Aquarius - Metronomy
Track 5 - Can't Do Without You - Caribou
Track 6 - Jive Baby On a Saturday Night - The Jellies
Track 7 - Fuck My Acid - Stexis
Track 8 - Rinse and Repeat - Riton
Track 9 - Open Eye Signal - Jon Hopkins
Track 10 - Giorgio by Moroder - Daft Punk
Track 11 - I Feel Love (Patrick Cowley mix) - Donna Summer
Track 12 - Freedom! 15 - !!!
Track 13 - Temptation - New Order

Thirteen tracks seems to have been unlucky for you  :)

baldpar

« Reply #68 on: Thu, Jun 01, 2017, 21:46 PM »
Doing my reveal made me realise that I haven't posted a review of the disc I received - Apologies.
I've listened to it a couple of times and there is an awful lot of stuff on there that I have not heard before and can't even hazard a guess as to who the songs are by. The CD opens with a Scottish comedy skit and something similar appears a couple of times further on. KC appears at track 11 but not one that I can recall hearing before. Most of the tracks are singer songwriter guitar types and once I see the reveal I'll investigate further.

Thanks for the mix and apologies again for the delay in my poor review  :)

lolsmit

• Hanx!
« Reply #69 on: Tue, Jun 06, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Ooft...Dougie M will be well chuffed when I tell him this was included in mixclub  8)
Nice to see MiaouxMiaouix, Stexis & Hoppo (OES was played on Laverne's show on 6 yesterday) in there too.

That review tho  :o

Leckers

« Reply #70 on: Tue, Jun 06, 2017, 16:12 PM »
Doing my reveal made me realise that I haven't posted a review of the disc I received - Apologies.
I've listened to it a couple of times and there is an awful lot of stuff on there that I have not heard before and can't even hazard a guess as to who the songs are by. The CD opens with a Scottish comedy skit and something similar appears a couple of times further on. KC appears at track 11 but not one that I can recall hearing before. Most of the tracks are singer songwriter guitar types and once I see the reveal I'll investigate further.

yill get a reveal
when ye dae a
review. that was
worse than franz's.

baldpar

« Reply #71 on: Tue, Jun 06, 2017, 16:46 PM »

yill get a reveal
when ye dae a
review. that was
worse than franz's.

A full review will have to wait. I'm in Majorca till Sunday  :)

baldpar

« Reply #72 on: Tue, Jun 06, 2017, 17:04 PM »
Ooft...Dougie M will be well chuffed when I tell him this was included in mixclub  8)
Nice to see MiaouxMiaouix, Stexis & Hoppo (OES was played on Laverne's show on 6 yesterday) in there too.

That review tho  :o

I think you might have enjoyed the mix more than Franzkafka  :D

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #73 on: Tue, Jun 06, 2017, 22:50 PM »
Well I was waiting for it to grow on me before I reviewed it, but it didn't hang about long enough.  (I think the cat ate it - he's got a saucer shaped lump in his neck).  It probably would have, too.  Ach well. It'll turn up. When the cat ejects it.

Interesting though, that in the Venn diagram of our musical tastes, we all have an overlap where KC is, but outside that area everyone can be - and probably is - radically different.  What do we learn from this?  That no matter how free you think you are, part of you is trapped in a stupid Venn diagram that you can never escape from.   What should we do about that?   Stop thinking about Venn diagrams and have a good massage. 

You boy, straighten your tie!

czefski

« Reply #74 on: Tue, Jun 06, 2017, 22:54 PM »
Well I was waiting for it to grow on me before I reviewed it, but it didn't hang about long enough.  (I think the cat ate it - he's got a saucer shaped lump in his neck).  It probably would have, too.  Ach well. It'll turn up. When the cat ejects it.

Interesting though, that in the Venn diagram of our musical tastes, we all have an overlap where KC is, but outside that area everyone can be - and probably is - radically different.  What do we learn from this?  That no matter how free you think you are, part of you is trapped in a stupid Venn diagram that you can never escape from.   What should we do about that?   Stop thinking about Venn diagrams and have a good massage. 

You boy, straighten your tie!

The Venn Diagrams were a good band