Author Topic: 50  (Read 28591 times)

Lavinia

• Wee woolies
Re: 50
« Reply #195 on: Sun, Jan 21, 2018, 10:26 AM »
KC was a guest last night at the Catriona Mackay and Chris Stout show at Celtic Connections. They were backed by the Scottish String Ensemble.Wonderful world class musicians.

Kenny sang Goodbye Belle, Just You and I, Circle my Demise, Bluebell Cockleshell and Rules of Engagement.
His singing, and the acoustics, were perfect. Right now, I doubt if there could be a more beautiful sound than Kenny's voice surrounded by all those strings on Circle. "I surrender" indeed- judging by the reaction, I think everyone in the audience did when he sang that.

Roll on Burns Night -body percussion from Andy maybe?

His majesty King Creosote right enough, what a lovely rendition of circle with the strings you could see Kenny was totally blown away he just didnít want it to stop - neither did we!  Chris and Catriona were great and had me foot tapping from the start.  I think Andy would need to put on a few pounds to do any similar body percussion though.  Roll on the 25th tartan extravaganza and haggis, neeps and tatties.
On another note good to speak to hubber Kevin last night at the De Rosa gig see you on the 31st in Crail.

Kevin

« Reply #196 on: Sun, Jan 21, 2018, 16:18 PM »
Good to meet you both last night. Thanks for the car CD tips!!

Really enjoyed De Rosa too, especially Camera. Having a rummage to find it!

I was a wee bit starstruck having Barry from Mogwai standing behind me all gig!!

Roll on 31st.

nodisco

« Reply #197 on: Sun, Jan 21, 2018, 20:40 PM »
ďStout and McKay work at a pitch that elevates the traditional forms their music springs from to spontaneous high artĒ
The Sunday Times - 5 stars  :)
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/review-chris-stout-catriona-mckay-at-celtic-connections-glasgow-royal-concert-hall-wjx57r0s2

Lavinia

• Wee woolies
« Reply #198 on: Mon, Jan 22, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Good article with 5 stars although for me more could have been said about KCs outstanding performance, even when you read the full article it was almost like he was missed out or was secondary to the other two invited guests.

Lavinia

• Wee woolies
« Reply #199 on: Mon, Jan 22, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Good to meet you both last night. Thanks for the car CD tips!!

Really enjoyed De Rosa too, especially Camera. Having a rummage to find it!

I was a wee bit starstruck having Barry from Mogwai standing behind me all gig!!

Roll on 31st.

Kevin - Camera was a brilliant end to the gig, engineer didnít come across as I expected maybe I was looking forward to them playing it too much but with the rest of the set being so good it didnít matter even loved that instrumental very powerful. Did you buy any merch?  Martin only wanted a fiver for the new CD we gave him £10 so it would help buy a round of drinks. Great band and new CD is ace so glad they are back together.

Kevin

« Reply #200 on: Tue, Jan 23, 2018, 11:35 AM »
No merch for me. I found their old CDs in the garage finally, one day I'll go online but I'm a technology denier!

Jackie

« Reply #201 on: Tue, Jan 23, 2018, 19:06 PM »
No merch for me. I found their old CDs in the garage finally, one day I'll go online but I'm a technology denier!
You have so come to the right place!😃

Lavinia

• Wee woolies
« Reply #202 on: Sat, Jan 27, 2018, 12:02 PM »
Gig 48 was on Burns night and haggis, neeps and tatties were served after Kenny addressed the haggis which was a last minute change of plans when Chaz didn't turn up in time.  Kenny had to write out the words and with his phones battery running low it was a remarkable achievement. Kenny and Andy were decked out in tartan evening dress and they treated us to some lovely Burns and Scottish songs we even got the song about willie ........ the dog.  Cod liver oil and the orange juice and la dee da de dum were sang as wee extras at the end.   Great night had by all in the ENH.

czefski

« Reply #203 on: Thu, Feb 01, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Any gig where KC, Des, Geeko & Gogs cover Laura Gibson, The Housemartins, Tim Buckley, The Smiths, Simple Minds, Withered Hand, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers and Gillian Welch then you'll have been thoroughly entertained and can even forgive them playing Down Under by Men At Work. If however they not only cover the Fall but KC even does it in the style of Mark E. Smith then you've witnessed something special. Another great night, 49 down...1 to go.

Lavinia

• Wee woolies
« Reply #204 on: Thu, Feb 01, 2018, 15:39 PM »
It's going to be emotional tonight, but what an achievement! I am glad to have been part of it and I am sure we all will experience a huge void afterwards.  Although, I do have tickets for two shows in March and the Yellae Deuks to look forward too, there is still going to be a gap.  :-\

Jackie

« Reply #205 on: Thu, Feb 01, 2018, 16:31 PM »
It's been really really special. Massive thanks to KC, Geeko, Des, Gogs and all the amazing musicians who entertained us during the 50 gigs and of course to the 'usual table gang' for your company and for all the laughs.😁

stephen

« Reply #206 on: Thu, Feb 01, 2018, 19:36 PM »
I need to go for a bath, so don't begin it too early eh?

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #207 on: Sat, Feb 03, 2018, 19:23 PM »
last I remember, you were in a bath of red wine

Roddy

« Reply #208 on: Wed, Feb 14, 2018, 22:02 PM »
A belated contribution. Stirred myself from the joys of Manchester and headed up to Crail for the gigs at the East Neuk on 31 Jan and 1 Feb. Great welcome from Paul and the rest of the team at the ENH.
Being on my own I had a slight concern I would be propping up the bar on my own- no such worries you really all are a friendly lot!
The Wednesday was covers night as as chef ski interesting auto correct for Czefski said a great selection to which I would add the Propaganda cover a blast from my past. As a Fall fan from my student days the cover of The Mixer by the Fall as the closer was ace. Maybe Kenny could be The Fall's equivalent to Adam Lambert joining Queen?
Thursday was equally good .Didnt recognise all the songs but the one about Limoncello  creeping up struck a chord. And another The Mixer including a call to MES and a finish with Taylor Swift who I understand is a big hit with the youngsters .
Thanks to Kenny, the band and all of you it was GREAT!  Roddy

nodisco

« Reply #209 on: Sun, Feb 18, 2018, 18:10 PM »
A song about Limoncello? Great stuff, especially if home-made! Can anyone recall what the song was?