Author Topic: Milan  (Read 443 times)

baldpar

Milan
« on: Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 10:03 AM »
I'm visiting Milan for three days at the end of the month. Anybody been before and have you any recommendations?

lolsmit

• Hanx!
Re: Milan
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 11:13 AM »
Been too long since I was there, memory is hazy (it was the nineties!) on all but the most obvious sights.  I'm a fan of the "48hrs in..." things for short city breaks, here's the Independent's (though it is 3yrs old & I've not read it fully):

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/48-hours-in-milan-9236721.html

There are others if you google it and worth checking trip advisor too.  You could take the San Siro tour (don't think the link mentions that) and see if there's a game on at the San Siro if you like footie (although, if you're a Par, you probably don't  :P)

Coincidentally, my daughter just arrived back late last night from a weekend in Milan.  She was still asleep when I left this morning but will ask her for any recommendations (they will most likely consist of bars, clubs, pizza joints & kebab shops - just like home really!).  I do know they flew to Malpensa, got very reasonably-priced bus transfers to/from the city centre and stayed in a decent Best Western hotel in the centre with pool/leisure facilities and a roof terrace with good views over the city.

fuctifano

« Reply #2 on: Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 13:52 PM »
this isn't very pc but I've always wanted to be a matador. wouldn't want the bull to get hurt or anything  -just want to dodge it really. i'm pretty confident i'd be good at it. and the senoritas love a matador don't they?!
The other Spanish/Scottish thing i'd like to do is open a topless tapas bar. Maybe if you go to Madrid in a few years you could visit my chain of bars - Taps Aff Tapas.

Ole!!

czefski

« Reply #3 on: Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 13:54 PM »
this isn't very pc but I've always wanted to be a matador. wouldn't want the bull to get hurt or anything  -just want to dodge it really. i'm pretty confident i'd be good at it. and the senoritas love a matador don't they?!
The other Spanish/Scottish thing i'd like to do is open a topless tapas bar. Maybe if you go to Madrid in a few years you could visit my chain of bars - Taps Aff Tapas.

Ole!!

I'm sure there is a link with Milan in there somewhere but I can't for the life of me think what it is.

fuctifano

« Reply #4 on: Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 13:55 PM »
hang on you said Milan

ridere forte!!

lolsmit

• Hanx!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 14:42 PM »
 ;D

My missus also asked if they'd gone for tapas?!  ::)

Maybe add some wheat, cream, cheese and/or tomato-based dishes and call it Taps Aff Tapasta?!

baldpar

« Reply #6 on: Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 18:10 PM »

Ole!!

What have I started?  :)

baldpar

« Reply #7 on: Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 18:14 PM »
Been too long since I was there, memory is hazy (it was the nineties!) on all but the most obvious sights.  I'm a fan of the "48hrs in..." things for short city breaks, here's the Independent's (though it is 3yrs old & I've not read it fully):

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/48-hours-in-milan-9236721.html

There are others if you google it and worth checking trip advisor too.  You could take the San Siro tour (don't think the link mentions that) and see if there's a game on at the San Siro if you like footie (although, if you're a Par, you probably don't  :P)

Coincidentally, my daughter just arrived back late last night from a weekend in Milan.  She was still asleep when I left this morning but will ask her for any recommendations (they will most likely consist of bars, clubs, pizza joints & kebab shops - just like home really!).  I do know they flew to Malpensa, got very reasonably-priced bus transfers to/from the city centre and stayed in a decent Best Western hotel in the centre with pool/leisure facilities and a roof terrace with good views over the city.

We are are flying to Malpensa too. We plan to get the train to Grand Central as our hotel is just a few minutes walk from the railway station. I'll check the link you posted. It'll be interesting to hear what your daughter thought. Bars and pizza sounds good. Cheers

Die Sehnsucht

« Reply #8 on: Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 20:06 PM »
If this is your first time in Milan:

Duomo
http://www.duomomilano.it/en/

Castello Forzesco
https://www.milanocastello.it/en

Pinacoteca Ambrosiana and Pinacoteca di Brera
http://pinacotecabrera.org/en/

Navigli District
https://news.milanocard.it/navigli-district-milan-the-charming-canals-of-milano.html

N.B.
Avoid tourist traps and eat with the locals. In my opinion, small/no-frills Trattorias tend to be more authentic than trendy/fancy restaurants.

Jackie

« Reply #9 on: Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 21:02 PM »
I also got excited about tapas when we went to Milan :D

Jackie

« Reply #10 on: Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 21:06 PM »
If you have time I can recommend a trip up to the old town of Bergamo, really beautiful.

a.heathen

• Wherever I go so does me go.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, Oct 15, 2017, 10:39 AM »
I'm going to be going to Milan soon.
Thanks for the useful tips.

Hoping to watch Red Star play while I am there

baldpar

« Reply #12 on: Sun, Oct 15, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Thanks for the tips so far. Plenty of research to do.

baldpar

« Reply #13 on: Thu, Nov 02, 2017, 21:51 PM »
Had a lovely time in Milan. The Duomo was stunning. The views from the rooftop were fantastic. Used the Metro to get around which was nice and easy. The Navigli area was very cool and even managed to find a couple of record shops. Looking forward to rounding my weeks leave with a trip to Neepso on Saturday night.