Author Topic: The 6th Rule of Mix Club ...  (Read 1288 times)

Chaffinch

Re: The 6th Rule of Mix Club ...
« Reply #15 on: Tue, Nov 14, 2017, 21:45 PM »
Okay, found a bit of time to gather my collected thoughts and provide some shared insight into what I received.  Natty little CD in a cover and simply called mix, there could be a clue in the cover, over my head if there is.

1.   Start off with an instrumental, funky number nice one with some spoken word before it fades out.  The sound of someone confessing their sins before it goes just as it gets interesting.  I will be keen to know what this one is as it sounds like it could come from an interesting album.
2.   Is ilke something that Whisky Stephen would play at a moon hop, not African though.  There is a vibe to this mix already which I think is going to sit well with me and it certainly isn’t from Leckers so I can relax a bit.  I think one would describe this potentially as agit pop but akin to track 1 the beauty in this is groove that it sets and allows everything else to aurally unfold around it.  Nice.
3.   And the groove keeps on coming.  The opening drums on this remind me of Paraffin but it’s not Lesley Silverfish on eth vocals it’s the Mason Man.  Not sure I know this track I an going to guess it’s called over and over virtue of this being the chorus but do artists still name their tunes after the chorus?
4.   This one sounds totally Nigeria 70, African funk.  Great sound and great tune.  Its African in source but not Nigeria, is this Tinawaran (sp)?
5.   Switch of gears here all longing soulful singer songwriter stuff.  Nicely produced but after the first 4 tracks it just doesn’t fit in here for me, we have lost the groove.  Could be Roddy Woomble or someone of that ilk.
6.   After that short interlude we are back on the groove.  This has a cracking intro all bass and scratchy/processed guitar.  Nice.
7.   Short one, trying to be a combination of UNPOC and Lone Pigeon.  Can understand why this would be liked on here, not doing much for me though.
8.   There’s quite a lot going on in this track, it sounds like it’s the vocals of Robert Wyatt with a British psych feel to it.  I am not sure could be a 60/70’s track, its quite proggy but without a 23 min drum and keyboard solo.  Which is a good thing.
9.   After a great start we all alt folkyish now.  Not enjoying this one sorry.  Nice violins though.
10.   Is that Lomond of the Campbell’s I can hear, I think it is.  Its not solo stuff as there are quite funky fx going on in the back ground so I guess that its
11.   Lovely synths all over this one, it’s very blade runner esque more Vangelis than the new dude that isn’t Johann.  Nice. Liked this one a lot.
12.   Sticking with the atmospheric synths and a spoken word track, possibly in Japanese, we like this again.  There is something about a spoken work track that resonates with me very much.
13.   And the groove is back.  Yes, double yes.  We don’t get enough of this sort of sound nowadays.  Could listen to this on a loop as it builds but underpinned by that fabby bassline.
14.   PINK FLOYD ALERT – nope, its not a crappy version of one of these days but rather a post punk piece, all fast scratchy guitars and rapido drumming over a plucked bass sound.  Its okay.
15.   We are sticking with post punk for track 15, not in the mood for this one tonight sorry.
16.   Great, great finish.  What a tune, French female vocals, tub thumping drums and everything else just happening around it.  Nice one.

Despite my joking comments elsewhere there was enough on this get a solid 7.5/10 rating on the dgs-o-meter.

Great start though, if that groove had have been maintained across the listen then you could have been replacing WS at the next moon hop.

Cheers

Hi Deegers!  You got landed with me.   :)

So...

Track 1  This is Eggs In A Briar Patch by David Byrne and is taken from The Catherine Wheel Soundtrack.
Track 2  Pleased you liked this one - it's Mind Train by Yoko Ono from her Fly album.  This is an edit - the original is 17 minutes.
Track 3  Yip, Steve Mason with Kwangchow (Doctors Of Love Remix).
Track 4  Arod N-inizdjam by Imarhan from their self-titled album.  I think somebody from Tinawaran might have produced it.
Track 5  Wreckroom by Loose Fur's from the album Born Again In The USA.  Loose Fur are Jeff Tweedy and Glenn Kotche from Wilco and Jim O'Rourke.
Track 6  The Mirror by Light Heat.  Also check out Mazarin his previous band.
Track 7  Group Transport Hall by Women.  This isn't like anything else on their two albums.  I agree it reminds me of UNPOC which is a good thing, I think.
Track 8  Paintbox by Pink Floyd.  Richard Wright wrote and sang this one.
Track 9  Trying To Sit Out by Field Music.
Track 10  Broken Down Cars by FOUND.
Track 11  Improvisation on a 'Concerto Generator' by Laurie Spiegel recorded in 1977.
Track 12  Seiya by Tomoyoshi Date and Corey Fuller and featuring Japanese poet Tadahito Ichinoseki.
Track 13  This is another track taken from David Byrne's Catherine Wheel Soundtrack called - Ade and features Brian Eno.
Track 14  This does have a post punk feel to it but it's Brian Eno with Third Uncle from his Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) album released in 1974.
Track 15  This is Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music and it's from his solo album Diamond Head released 1975.  Are you sure you didn't get bored with this after 10 seconds and skip it - there are congas and a jazzy trumpet solo?!   :-)  I think you should persevere with this one. 
Track 16  Et Même by Francois Hardy taken from her Mon Amie La Rose album.

7.5/10 isn't too bad - have had worse.   ;D 

Tracklisting:

1.  Eggs In A Briar Patch - DAVID BYRNE
2.  Mind Train - YOKO ONO
3.  Kwangchow (Doctors Of Love Remix) - KING BISCUIT TIME
4.  Arod N-inizdjam - IMARHAN
5.  Wreckroom - LOOSE FUR
6.  The Mirror - LIGHT HEAT
7.  Group Transport Hall - WOMEN
8.  Paintbox - PINK FLOYD
9.  Trying To Sit Out - FIELD MUSIC
10.  Broken Down Cars - FOUND
11.  Improvisation on a 'Concerto Generator' - LAURIE SPIEGEL
12.  Seiya - TOMOYOSHI DATE AND COREY FULLER
13.  Ade - DAVID BYRNE
14.  Third Uncle - BRIAN ENO
15.  Carhumba - PHIL MANZANERA
16.  Et Même - FRANCOIS HARDY

Here's the mix in two parts if any of the above sounds like something you'd be interested in:

https://www.mixcloud.com/chaffinch_records/mind-train/
https://www.mixcloud.com/chaffinch_records/ade/

Cameleon

« Reply #16 on: Thu, Nov 16, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Oooh! Thanks Chaffinch.  Particularly enjoyed hearing King Biscuit Time again.  Imarhan and Loose Fur are both excellent choices and really pleased you included Broken Down Cars from FOUND.  Never thought I'd hear Third Uncle from Eno again.  Takes me back to my teenage years.
Fully deserves the solid seven and a half, if not more.

a.heathen

• Wherever I go so does me go.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, Nov 18, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Cheers Meic, I had fun with it and will listen when in quieter circumstances :-)

I bought the Suzanne Sundfor album "Brothel" which is v. nice.

Also, given your fondness of the lovely Aldous Harding, and my comments on that Keaton Henson sound, you might like this collaboration between AH and her man, Marlon Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJIDptF-2c

That final reprise, broke my heart this morning.

Cameleon

« Reply #18 on: Sat, Nov 18, 2017, 21:03 PM »
I really wasn't sure about this but you're right.  There's that break and suddenly the emotion floods out in the last minute.

fuctifano

« Reply #19 on: Sun, Nov 19, 2017, 23:27 PM »
This mix is recorded as one single track.

There are parts that sound to me like a soundtrack from a sci-fi movie that may never be made but could be. There are other parts I don’t really understand how they fit in the theme that I may just be imagining but what’s space without mystery eh?

Times are approx…Destinations are endless...

0 – Fanfare Intro. 70s/80s kids tv intro. Earth..space. Planets. Moomins. Mr Spoon. Buttonmoon kind of vibe. Like watching the tv at your grans house when you were a kid while playing with toy space ships….dreaming of adventures…..stars…galaxies….aliens…..space chics…..

1.36 Slow spacey build up. Nice. Space chic asks if we are ok. Yeah space chic we are. Ready for the journey. Strapped in….. And blast off!! This is nice. Epic in a not overbearing way. Floating in space vibe, taking in the vastness of the universe. What a way to start! Wow.

4.50 This is lovely and gets better with each listen. Simple compared to last track but goes together well. All gentle guitars, soft vocals, brushed drums. Very nice. Dreamy. Is there a line about twilight mushrooms overhead? Is that a space/stars thing? Kinda don’t want to think about it too much – just enjoy the ride. It’s a nice ride.

10.33 Oh it’s gone a bit ominous. Someone playing ping pong in the hall. Some beats make it ok though. And that squelchy bass!! This is great actually. Recognise it a bit. It’s like the French Air guys mixed with River of Found. Space vibe again. Meet the Aliens. Maybe they will be along later?

14.48 Space Jungle? I actually like this more in the bits without the drums. Like the bit in the middle with the robotic intercom voice. ‘Download. Nothing.’ Aye.

21.20 This is like a chase scene in the original Terminator video. Actually got that shiver thing where you don’t want to look over your shoulder…. Until…

22.ish Funky beats. Building up to a …wasn’t expecting that… a jazzy break? No idea where this is going which is great! Ah the bassy build up is back but so is the subtle jazz flute thing. A headfucker this! And now an electro beat bass break kinda thing….hang on is it a new song?.....

25.17 This is mixed really well! Very smooth. Is that the boy Mason? Maybe from that album I was never keen on. The weird purple 80s one? Leckers liked it. It might not even be Steve Mason.

27.20 – Spacing out again. Ah this is the one that’s probably my fave on this mix. Just gonna sit and enjoy this for a while. Soak in the stars. That space chic voice and those hypnotic bleeps! Superb. I probably know who this is but I’m not going to guess. We are on auto pilot here. Guide me space chic, you have the controls. Set course for planet Bliss…..

34.26 This sounds like the Mason man again. Which means the other one probably wasn’t. I don’t know this one so it’s always good to hear new mason stuff. Hang on I do know this don’t I ? Anyway it’s a nice continuation of the space theme. The bit with the drums is like the cockpit of the spaceship going through a meteor shower. We are on a space ship eh?

38 ish Oh nice mix again – caught me out there! Electro groove with a seductive vocal. I like this. No idea who it is or how it fits the space theme. Is she an alien seductress trying to trick me into telling her the location of the rebel base? I’d tell her if I knew.
39.57. Sorry I just don’t get on with this kind of thing. Maybe the space seductress has drugged my cold coffee and I’ve woken up in a psych space folk garden party. Where did she go?

45.07 I think we are back on track here. Quite mysterious though. Did the space monk say help us to live in the bath? It feels like they want me to join them but I don’t trust them. They are hooded and have soulless eyes. Maybe they know where space chic is though? No, don’t trust them…. They are  saying Leicester is not very far. We’ve come all this way to go to Leicester? Sorry space priest I’m outta here…..

49.58 ‘Where did she go?’ That’s what I’m asking fella. Me and this guy are talking the same language. Which is nice after the weird spooky drug guys. Maybe he can help. He seems ok. He knows people need people. Aye, it’s a big old cold universe.

55.11 Is this….have they cloned him? Is he also looking for space chic? Actually I’m not sure it is him. I like this though. It is him isn’t it?

59.ish  Strange Fruit cover. Nice. Can’t quite figure out why it’s here though. I’m missing something.

62.48 This is nice. Echoey piano and others spacey type effects. The vocals are a bit despondent though. Atmospheric and maybe a little unsettling at times but it’s good all the same.

68.23 Hang on is this space chic? Is she singing in some low down space port dive bar? Dreaming of regrets.  I’ll save you……

70.40ish … but I can hardly see in front of me. I’ve been blinded by moping foppish space jazz….i was so close to finding space chic and zooming off to the stars with her……

74.56 …..We are back on earth in granny’s front room listening to the wireless. A medley of old classics I hardly know the names of but all are recognisable. Was it all a dream? Was she real? The spooky space monks and the Steve Mason clones? It sounds like something I’d dream….but it’s nice to be home all the same.

What a journey! Apart from a couple of hairy moments this was an awesome adventure. Really enjoyed it! ;D

Kudos to the director for having the vision to set out on an epic voyage into the mostly unknown.

Please confirm co-ordinates so I can search the stars for space chic – hang on is that what the cd cover is?!!

Thanks Mixer.  8)

czefski

« Reply #20 on: Mon, Nov 20, 2017, 21:06 PM »
CD arrived today, review to follow soon.

ravedamage

« Reply #21 on: Tue, Nov 21, 2017, 00:41 AM »
My mix arrived about a day or two after Fuddy sent oot the addresses, so I've had it for over a month.
It came with a bonus CD as well.

CD1 is a proper one-track mix. There are some really, really sweet blends/segues in here...the kind I try to do myself...the sort of mix ye dinnae ken where one track ends and the next yin begins. Proper effort. Always appreciated.

01 - Lovely instrumental/orchestral piece, which reminded me of Remember Remember, but could be off of any soundtrack I guess. I will probably buy this, once I know what it is.

02 - Great wee blend into an acoustic-ish track where I think I recognise the voice, but cannae mind who. Main lyrical refrain is 'go to hell', and it is pretty damn nice. Great orchestration too, which fits weel given the previous track.

03 - This tune has 'kitchen sink' type lyrics, about "chat shows and the soaps"...and "Joey's off the gear"...something I ordinarily wouldnae listen to, but that's the beauty of Mixclub. "Sing our cares away" appears a bit, so there's a clue there (probably). Havenae a Scooby. Nice though.

04 - Reminded me of Tunng or The Earlies straight away...an archival spoken sample and some nice percussion and twinkles. On the third listen the fact the sample was a Welsh accent reminded me about Public Service Broadcasting's new LP (which I dinnae have, yet), so it's gotta be from that. Got all their previous stuff and seen 'em live twice...do love the alt-PSB, so I do. Also love (even more), the Pet Shop Boys...but that is another 7000 word dissertation.

05 - Super-duper segue into The Rattler by Goodbye Mr Mackenzie. A proper tune, enough said.

06 - Subtle blend into a tune that made me think of Bloc Party, for some reason. Mid-00s indie...not averse to a bit o' that. "Listen Rachel, they are plaaaying our song"...probably not Bloc Party, but it's alright.

07 - This one reminded of Chvrches...female vocal and slightly staccato delivery. Reckon it might be a cover of them...there's a mention of 'dead air', so maybe a cover of their tune Dead Air?

08 - Superb mix into a KC track..."fat was the ass that was sittin' on the seat...". Never heard it before, it's a good 'un....kinda 'oom-pah-pah' in parts, kitchen sink in others.

09 - Another good blend into a track I don't know...mebbe Lomond Campbell? Namechecks "Caruso...Caruso lie"...havenae a clue, but it's a solid wee tune. Has some strings that remind me of the first Remember Remember LP...

10 - There arenae many tracks that have "starry-eyed crustacean" in them...is this Hamish Hawk? Tis a superb tune. I saw him just once, supporting the SDO at a do in Anster. Am sure I heard this live... My lass bought his CD (Aznavour) at the time and it isnae on that.

11 - Proper turnaround in sound...an 80s sounding, soul-ful tune. Havenae a clue, but it isnae bad. "Season of Change"...by...?

12 - Then into a 60s Northen Soul-ish thing? "You've gotta keep on keeping on..." Not a clue, but it's okay.

13 - Then a Certifiable Pairty Banger. The Slits doing Marvin Gaye's 'Heard It Through The Grapevine'. Proper stoater. Marvellous.

14 - A bluesy little number....made me first think of Fats Domino (cos I know nowt about The Blues)...then it reminded me of Emporium! Saw them in the East Neuk Hotel in 2014...they were ace. Anyway, nae idea who this is...has lines like "two fingers of whisky" "to keep down the devil, livin' in me".

15 - This sounds like a Scottish band...kinda T-Rex-y sounding. Tune is called Trouble? They spell out T.R.O.U.B.L.E., much like KC likes his speelling bees in tunes. Thought it could be the Skoubhie Dubh Orchestra, but it isnae KC on vocal duties...so...I'm clueless. Again.

16 - This one is Hipsway, but not one I'm familiar with. Pretty guid.

17 - Acoustic track, female singer...quite pleasant...reminds me of Feist, because of certain mannerisms in her voice.

18 - "Nobody gets out of here alive, all the idiots love another rock n' roll suicide"...nice upbeat, acoustic number ;) Seems to be a fair few nods to the Neil Young back catalogue in the lyrics? Get the feeling it's mid-90s, maybe after Kurt put another breathe-hole in his head. I loved Kurt's music. Love a bit of Neil too. This isnae a bad little ditty.

19 - 180 degree switch in mood from sombre to silly-ish. Actually thought it was Lloyd Cole, until he got to the bit singing about "that was the day the aliens saved the Earth". It's good fun and has kinda wormed its way into my heid. I fervently hope the reveal says it really is Lloyd Cole...that'd be mad.

20 - A lovely bookend to the mix, matching the lush orchestral instrumental at the start. Piano-led thing and it's right nice.

All in all, this is a pretty neat mix...maybe more singer-songwriter-y stuff than I'd ordinarily listen to, but that is the point of Mixclub, in my book. Stuff ye wouldnae normally 'do', aye?

Great mix...look forward to the reveal. would gie it 8.5/10, jist for them subtle blends an' that...bravo!

ravedamage

« Reply #22 on: Tue, Nov 21, 2017, 01:00 AM »
CD2 contained tracks I knew about 85% of:

01 - A Little Richard/Fats Domino thing, maybe? Nae idea.
02 - Similarly...female soul singer...not a clue.
03 - Bowie "When You're  A boy" (I think)
04 - George Michael - Faith
05 - Donna Summer - I Feel Love
06 - Prince - 1999
07 - Strolling Bones - Start Me Up
08 - Doors - People Are Strange
09 - like Beck if he was active in the 80s...??
10 - Disco  Inferno...The Trammps?
11 - Candi!! Young Hearts Run Free
12 - Grace Jones - My Jamaican Guy
13 - Chic - Le Freak
14 - Mick Jagger's Rotting Corpse vs Memorex - Not Fade Away
15 - Bowie - Golden Beers
16 - Thought it was S- Express but it was Rose Royce's original...."Is It Love You're After"
17 - Ike & Tina - River Deep etc
18 - an 80s hing...? I'm clueless...
19 - Chaka Khan - i'm Every Woman
20 - Prince & Sheena Easton - U Got The Look
21- Strolling Bonerz - Paint It Black

Seems an easy-ish reveal...bar 3.....hence it being the bonus, eh? Nice CD to stick on randomly...

czefski

« Reply #23 on: Tue, Nov 21, 2017, 08:24 AM »
CD2 contained tracks I knew about 85% of:

01 - A Little Richard/Fats Domino thing, maybe? Nae idea.
02 - Similarly...female soul singer...not a clue.
03 - Bowie "When You're  A boy" (I think)
04 - George Michael - Faith
05 - Donna Summer - I Feel Love
06 - Prince - 1999
07 - Strolling Bones - Start Me Up
08 - Doors - People Are Strange
09 - like Beck if he was active in the 80s...??
10 - Disco  Inferno...The Trammps?
11 - Candi!! Young Hearts Run Free
12 - Grace Jones - My Jamaican Guy
13 - Chic - Le Freak
14 - Mick Jagger's Rotting Corpse vs Memorex - Not Fade Away
15 - Bowie - Golden Beers
16 - Thought it was S- Express but it was Rose Royce's original...."Is It Love You're After"
17 - Ike & Tina - River Deep etc
18 - an 80s hing...? I'm clueless...
19 - Chaka Khan - i'm Every Woman
20 - Prince & Sheena Easton - U Got The Look
21- Strolling Bonerz - Paint It Black

Seems an easy-ish reveal...bar 3.....hence it being the bonus, eh? Nice CD to stick on randomly...

This was meant to be a track by track of my mix, so that, if you so wished, you didn't have to listen to all of the mixed version to hear a specific track. It appears that I inadvertently sent you a copy of the playlist I put together for after my brother-in-law's funeral!! It's some of his favourite toons. Sorry.

czefski

« Reply #24 on: Tue, Nov 21, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Glad you enjoyed, particularly pleased you liked the mixing I know not everyone appreciates getting a 1hr 10 minute track . I was also very happy with the cover I made but now can't find where I saved it on my PC, if I do I will post it here.

Onyhoo, on with the reveal

01 - Lovely instrumental/orchestral piece, which reminded me of Remember Remember, but could be off of any soundtrack I guess. I will probably buy this, once I know what it is.
This is indeed off a soundtrack, it's Wheatfield With Crows by Clint Mansell from his soundtrack to Loving Vincent, a film I highly recommend

02 - Great wee blend into an acoustic-ish track where I think I recognise the voice, but cannae mind who. Main lyrical refrain is 'go to hell', and it is pretty damn nice. Great orchestration too, which fits weel given the previous track.
Go To Hell by David Ford from his Songs For The Road album. A companion piece to his classic 'Cheer Up You Miserable Fuck'

03 - This tune has 'kitchen sink' type lyrics, about "chat shows and the soaps"...and "Joey's off the gear"...something I ordinarily wouldnae listen to, but that's the beauty of Mixclub. "Sing our cares away" appears a bit, so there's a clue there (probably). Havenae a Scooby. Nice though.
This is Damien Dempsey's Sing All Our Cares Away, it was covered by the Proclaimers on one of their recent albums but the original is by far the best. Any song that start 'Mary drinks the Grouse, hides the bottles around the house' will do for me.

04 - Reminded me of Tunng or The Earlies straight away...an archival spoken sample and some nice percussion and twinkles. On the third listen the fact the sample was a Welsh accent reminded me about Public Service Broadcasting's new LP (which I dinnae have, yet), so it's gotta be from that. Got all their previous stuff and seen 'em live twice...do love the alt-PSB, so I do. Also love (even more), the Pet Shop Boys...but that is another 7000 word dissertation.
Yup, PSB's They Gave Me A Lamp from the Every Valley album. If you haven't seen them live recently it is well worth making the effort.

05 - Super-duper segue into The Rattler by Goodbye Mr Mackenzie. A proper tune, enough said.
Enough said

06 - Subtle blend into a tune that made me think of Bloc Party, for some reason. Mid-00s indie...not averse to a bit o' that. "Listen Rachel, they are plaaaying our song"...probably not Bloc Party, but it's alright.
This is Rachel by the Wedding Present from their last album Going, Going. Saw them a couple of times recently, they still have it.

07 - This one reminded of Chvrches...female vocal and slightly staccato delivery. Reckon it might be a cover of them...there's a mention of 'dead air', so maybe a cover of their tune Dead Air?
Rooftops by Bdy_Prts. This is Jill from Sparrow and the Workshops new band, the comparison to Chvrches is well made

08 - Superb mix into a KC track..."fat was the ass that was sittin' on the seat...". Never heard it before, it's a good 'un....kinda 'oom-pah-pah' in parts, kitchen sink in others.
KC performing Gluttony from Paul Heatons The 8th. I stumbled upon this when listing the Lino cds on eBay.

Mz kezboard setßup in the hub appears to be a scandinavian language, the Z is where the Y should be and apostropheäs donät work. Neither does the anz of the buttons along the top, so I canät change the colour of mz response.

09 - Another good blend into a track I don't know...mebbe Lomond Campbell? Namechecks "Caruso...Caruso lie"...havenae a clue, but it's a solid wee tune. Has some strings that remind me of the first Remember Remember LP...
Close with Lomond, it is Roddy Woomble, Like Caruso, from his latest album, the Deluder, one of my favourites of this year.

You have missed out a track, between Roddy and Hamish there is an instrumental called Ricecar by Penguin Cafe. This was plazing in Assai in Broughty Ferry one day when I was in and when I left the shop I could not get it out of my head, so went back and bought the album, a good decision as it is a belter. It is the son of the guz from Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

10 - There arenae many tracks that have "starry-eyed crustacean" in them...is this Hamish Hawk? Tis a superb tune. I saw him just once, supporting the SDO at a do in Anster. Am sure I heard this live... My lass bought his CD (Aznavour) at the time and it isnae on that.
It is indeed Hamish with Catherine Opens A Window, probablz mz favourite Hamish song. It has not been released as yet, this was from a session he did for Vic Galloway that somehow ended up on my hard drive

11 - Proper turnaround in sound...an 80s sounding, soul-ful tune. Havenae a clue, but it isnae bad. "Season of Change"...by...?
Season of Change by Stone Foundation featuring Betty LeVette. Thought it was time for a change of direction, this is from an album that features contributions by Weller, LeVette and Willaim Bell, the album falls down when thez have noßone helping them.

12 - Then into a 60s Northen Soul-ish thing? "You've gotta keep on keeping on..." Not a clue, but it's okay.
Northern Soul standard Keep On Keeping On bz Nolan Prter. An A and R guz tried to turn Joy Divsion into a soul band and got them to play this, the results were terrible but they nicked the riff for Interzone on Unknown Pleasures.

13 - Then a Certifiable Pairty Banger. The Slits doing Marvin Gaye's 'Heard It Through The Grapevine'. Proper stoater. Marvellous.
Never ages, stone cold classic

14 - A bluesy little number....made me first think of Fats Domino (cos I know nowt about The Blues)...then it reminded me of Emporium! Saw them in the East Neuk Hotel in 2014...they were ace. Anyway, nae idea who this is...has lines like "two fingers of whisky" "to keep down the devil, livin' in me".
This is Elton John and Jack White, Two Fingers of Whisky from the soundtrack to the American Epic documentary series. Zou didnät see that coming did you?

15 - This sounds like a Scottish band...kinda T-Rex-y sounding. Tune is called Trouble? They spell out T.R.O.U.B.L.E., much like KC likes his speelling bees in tunes. Thought it could be the Skoubhie Dubh Orchestra, but it isnae KC on vocal duties...so...I'm clueless. Again.
 TROUBLE by Miracle Glass Company. The played at the Edinburgh Book Festival gig that the Khartoum Heroes did last zear, thez have a Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance vibe that I really like

16 - This one is Hipsway, but not one I'm familiar with. Pretty guid.
Set This Day Apart, last track, side 2 of Hipsway's eponymous album

17 - Acoustic track, female singer...quite pleasant...reminds me of Feist, because of certain mannerisms in her voice.
Laura Gibson ß Damn Sure. KC played this on one of the ENH covers night, I loved his version so checked out the original. Rarely a day has gone bz since that I havenät plazed this. )Iäm fed up with trzing to work out which kezs I need to substitute so zouäll have to put up with the misßtzpes

18 - "Nobody gets out of here alive, all the idiots love another rock n' roll suicide"...nice upbeat, acoustic number ;) Seems to be a fair few nods to the Neil Young back catalogue in the lyrics? Get the feeling it's mid-90s, maybe after Kurt put another breathe-hole in his head. I loved Kurt's music. Love a bit of Neil too. This isnae a bad little ditty.
Withered Hand After The Rain from the minißLp he recorded and released with BelgianßBarcelonaßbased Singer of Songs. Another lovelz dittz from the great man.

19 - 180 degree switch in mood from sombre to silly-ish. Actually thought it was Lloyd Cole, until he got to the bit singing about "that was the day the aliens saved the Earth". It's good fun and has kinda wormed its way into my heid. I fervently hope the reveal says it really is Lloyd Cole...that'd be mad.
 Interesting storz to this one. This is Aliens bz a guz I work with called Steve Gardner. He sent a mail and a couple of demos to Chuck Prophet of Red on Green asking if he would produce an album, much to his surprise Chuck said zes. He reminds me of Hamish Hawk, clever, sometimes plazful lzrics, similar vocal deliverz too.

20 - A lovely bookend to the mix, matching the lush orchestral instrumental at the start. Piano-led thing and it's right nice.
This is Nuvole Bianchi bz Ludivico Eunadi, I think it has been used in a number of soundtracks and documentarz beds. It was one of mz brotherßinßlaws favourites which is probablz whz zou ended up with a 2nd cd of his wake soundtrack rather than an unmixed version of the mix.

1. Wheatfield With Crows - Clint Mansell
2. Go To Hell - David Ford
3. Sing All Our Cares Away - Damien Dempsey
4. They Gave Me A Lamp - PSB
5. The Rattler - Goodbye Mr McKenzie
6. Rachel - The Wedding Present
7. Rooftops - Bdz Prts
8. Gluttony - Paul Heaton ft. Kenny Anderson
9. Like Caruso - Roddz Woomble
10. Ricercar - Penguin Cafe
11. Catherine Opens A Window - Hamish Hawk
12. Season of Change - Stone Foundation ft. Betty LeVette
13. Keep On Keeping On - Nolan Porter
14. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - The Slits
15. 2 Fingers of Whisky - Elton John and Jack White
16. TROUBLE - Miracle Glass Companz
17. Set This Day Apart - Hipsway
18. Damn Sure - Laura Gibson
19. After The Rain - Withered Hand
20. Aliens - Steve Gardner
21. Nuvole Bianchi - Ludovico Bianchi

czefski

« Reply #25 on: Tue, Nov 21, 2017, 10:26 AM »
If anyone cares to listen I've posted my mix to soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/paul-thomson-343235078/hub-mix-oct-2017

fuctifano

« Reply #26 on: Tue, Nov 21, 2017, 14:46 PM »
Good stuff everyone so far  8)

Anyone not sent yet? Maybe get a Wee shifty on.....itll be easter before we know it. Ta.

Also...folk are putting their mixes up on the inter nets. This is a fairly new thing for mixclub. I think it's a good thing but just wanted to reassure any one new to mix club it's in no way compulsory. 
That is all for now x

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #27 on: Tue, Nov 21, 2017, 16:24 PM »
This is Damien Dempsey's Sing All Our Cares Away.  Any song that start 'Mary drinks the Grouse, hides the bottles around the house' will do for me.

"putts the kettle on the boil, an she's always got a smoil"    I like that,    could he be a Dubliner? :)

czefski

« Reply #28 on: Tue, Nov 21, 2017, 18:55 PM »
This is Damien Dempsey's Sing All Our Cares Away.  Any song that start 'Mary drinks the Grouse, hides the bottles around the house' will do for me.

"putts the kettle on the boil, an she's always got a smoil"    I like that,    could he be a Dubliner? :)
I first heard him when in a record shop in Dublin which had a listening post, amongst the new release were Damien Dempsey's 'To Hell or Barbados' and The National's 'Boxer', as good a 1-2 punch as yu could get that particular year.

Deegers

« Reply #29 on: Tue, Nov 21, 2017, 21:59 PM »