Author Topic: The 6th Rule of Mix Club ...  (Read 1171 times)

czefski

Re: The 6th Rule of Mix Club ...
« Reply #30 on: Wed, Nov 22, 2017, 16:46 PM »
I found it

kwaing

« Reply #31 on: Wed, Nov 22, 2017, 18:45 PM »
A blonde Brian May, me, Paul Merton and some random that was in the East Neuk the night of the Americano.

Cameleon

« Reply #32 on: Wed, Nov 22, 2017, 19:34 PM »
Top Sleeve!

czefski

« Reply #33 on: Thu, Nov 23, 2017, 13:20 PM »
My mix arrived in a brown envelope, no markings, plastic cover.

Track 1 - Farmyard animal noises, moo, baa, tweet etc. 30 seconds of this and I'm about to hit skip when a drum beat kicks in, then a sax, possibly clarinet, still with the farmyard noises. Onto track 2.
Track 2 - Sparklehorse  Hammering the Cramps, track one now a distant memory. Great stuff
Track 3 - Blues number, contemporary I think, probably English, not Mississippi. Nice when the piano joins in. Depressing mind, I guess that's why they call it the blues.
Track 4 - Another slow number, hazy, echoey vocal, psychedelic feel to it, building to a crescendo, not bad.
Track 5 - Sounds like one of the US shoegazer bands, Pavement? Grandaddy? If it were on my turntable I'd be checking to see if there was fluff on the needle as it is a bit muffled. Decent song through, I like this genre in small doses.
Track 6 - Down tempo again, not really grabbing me, altogether a bit bland really.
Track 7 - This is the theme tune to the 70's BBCC Documentary series Arena, the one where the bottle with the title of the show washes ashore. Lovely piano piece, I put a couple of similar tracks on my mix.
Track 8 - Sounds like Lone Pigeon talking over a backing track and film sample about the writing process. I like this kind of track, Aiden Moffat and Van Morrison are both great proponents of it
Track 9 - Sitar instrumental, makes me yearn for a garlic chilli chicken.
Track 10 - Ally's Tartan Army at the wrong speed, then speeded and slowed down again. Not the worst thing I've ever heard but a strong contender for the top 2. Whoever thought what the world needed was an Andy Cameron song at varying speeds?
Track 11 - This is more like it, sounds like one of Pearl Jam's more tuneful effort,s but it's not Eddie Vedder. Nice piece of Americana, the horrors of track 10 gone but not totally forgotten
Track 12 - Sounds like Charles Latham, I like this a lot, as RaveDamage pointed out, I'm a big fan of singer-songwriters
Track 13 - Vocal low in the mix, this sounded like it would be a slow builder but ended up meandering along at the same pace. OK but I was expecting a bit more.
Track 14 - Another slow burner, tortured female vocal a la Kathryn Joseph, but without the Eartha Kitt/Kate Bush impersonation. I like this too, will definitely listen again. We had an interesting experience with Kat Jospeh at a Roddy Woomble gig recently, I'll tell you about it sometime.
Track 15 -  This is a familiar instumental, can't palce it though, nice track
Track 16 - Another blues track, this sounds more like an original Delta blues track, possibly Son House, right up my street
Track 17 - A very echoey version of Ae Fond Kiss, male vocal, electric guitar, sounds like it was recorded in a public toilet. I'm not a big fan of the song but as versions go this is ok.
Track 18 - A gospel feel to this one, shades of Jack White in the vocal. One of my favourites thus far.
Track 19 - I know this one, a rarity on this mix. It's Rob St. John, I think it's off Weald, reminds me that I haven't listened to that album recently. I heard Rob had Weil's disease, I hope he's feeling better.
Track 20 - Just when you thought you were safe, another version of Ally's Tartan Army turns up. Whilst being significantly better than the original and immeasurably better than track 10, it is still let down by the quality of the source material.

A mix I enjoyed, without there being one track that I would say was a real killer. Great to get a mix where I knew so few of the tracks and there are definitely a few that I will check out when I see the reveal. The Ally's Tartan Army tacks, notsomuch.

Cheers mixer.

stephen

« Reply #34 on: Thu, Nov 23, 2017, 19:39 PM »
I love a garlic chilli chicken.

ravedamage

« Reply #35 on: Thu, Nov 23, 2017, 22:29 PM »
CD2 contained tracks I knew about 85% of:

01 - A Little Richard/Fats Domino thing, maybe? Nae idea.
02 - Similarly...female soul singer...not a clue.
03 - Bowie "When You're  A boy" (I think)
04 - George Michael - Faith
05 - Donna Summer - I Feel Love
06 - Prince - 1999
07 - Strolling Bones - Start Me Up
08 - Doors - People Are Strange
09 - like Beck if he was active in the 80s...??
10 - Disco  Inferno...The Trammps?
11 - Candi!! Young Hearts Run Free
12 - Grace Jones - My Jamaican Guy
13 - Chic - Le Freak
14 - Mick Jagger's Rotting Corpse vs Memorex - Not Fade Away
15 - Bowie - Golden Beers
16 - Thought it was S- Express but it was Rose Royce's original...."Is It Love You're After"
17 - Ike & Tina - River Deep etc
18 - an 80s hing...? I'm clueless...
19 - Chaka Khan - i'm Every Woman
20 - Prince & Sheena Easton - U Got The Look
21- Strolling Bonerz - Paint It Black

Seems an easy-ish reveal...bar 3.....hence it being the bonus, eh? Nice CD to stick on randomly...

This was meant to be a track by track of my mix, so that, if you so wished, you didn't have to listen to all of the mixed version to hear a specific track. It appears that I inadvertently sent you a copy of the playlist I put together for after my brother-in-law's funeral!! It's some of his favourite toons. Sorry.

Nae bother, min...as I said, it's a nice CD for me to play in the Museum van, as I get ripped endlessly fro my Aphex and whatever else. Nice to play some proper pop (etc) of an occasion!

ravedamage

« Reply #36 on: Thu, Nov 23, 2017, 22:45 PM »
Glad you enjoyed, particularly pleased you liked the mixing I know not everyone appreciates getting a 1hr 10 minute track . I was also very happy with the cover I made but now can't find where I saved it on my PC, if I do I will post it here.

Onyhoo, on with the reveal

01 - Lovely instrumental/orchestral piece, which reminded me of Remember Remember, but could be off of any soundtrack I guess. I will probably buy this, once I know what it is.
This is indeed off a soundtrack, it's Wheatfield With Crows by Clint Mansell from his soundtrack to Loving Vincent, a film I highly recommend

02 - Great wee blend into an acoustic-ish track where I think I recognise the voice, but cannae mind who. Main lyrical refrain is 'go to hell', and it is pretty damn nice. Great orchestration too, which fits weel given the previous track.
Go To Hell by David Ford from his Songs For The Road album. A companion piece to his classic 'Cheer Up You Miserable Fuck'

03 - This tune has 'kitchen sink' type lyrics, about "chat shows and the soaps"...and "Joey's off the gear"...something I ordinarily wouldnae listen to, but that's the beauty of Mixclub. "Sing our cares away" appears a bit, so there's a clue there (probably). Havenae a Scooby. Nice though.
This is Damien Dempsey's Sing All Our Cares Away, it was covered by the Proclaimers on one of their recent albums but the original is by far the best. Any song that start 'Mary drinks the Grouse, hides the bottles around the house' will do for me.

04 - Reminded me of Tunng or The Earlies straight away...an archival spoken sample and some nice percussion and twinkles. On the third listen the fact the sample was a Welsh accent reminded me about Public Service Broadcasting's new LP (which I dinnae have, yet), so it's gotta be from that. Got all their previous stuff and seen 'em live twice...do love the alt-PSB, so I do. Also love (even more), the Pet Shop Boys...but that is another 7000 word dissertation.
Yup, PSB's They Gave Me A Lamp from the Every Valley album. If you haven't seen them live recently it is well worth making the effort.

05 - Super-duper segue into The Rattler by Goodbye Mr Mackenzie. A proper tune, enough said.
Enough said

06 - Subtle blend into a tune that made me think of Bloc Party, for some reason. Mid-00s indie...not averse to a bit o' that. "Listen Rachel, they are plaaaying our song"...probably not Bloc Party, but it's alright.
This is Rachel by the Wedding Present from their last album Going, Going. Saw them a couple of times recently, they still have it.

07 - This one reminded of Chvrches...female vocal and slightly staccato delivery. Reckon it might be a cover of them...there's a mention of 'dead air', so maybe a cover of their tune Dead Air?
Rooftops by Bdy_Prts. This is Jill from Sparrow and the Workshops new band, the comparison to Chvrches is well made

08 - Superb mix into a KC track..."fat was the ass that was sittin' on the seat...". Never heard it before, it's a good 'un....kinda 'oom-pah-pah' in parts, kitchen sink in others.
KC performing Gluttony from Paul Heatons The 8th. I stumbled upon this when listing the Lino cds on eBay.

Mz kezboard setßup in the hub appears to be a scandinavian language, the Z is where the Y should be and apostropheäs donät work. Neither does the anz of the buttons along the top, so I canät change the colour of mz response.

09 - Another good blend into a track I don't know...mebbe Lomond Campbell? Namechecks "Caruso...Caruso lie"...havenae a clue, but it's a solid wee tune. Has some strings that remind me of the first Remember Remember LP...
Close with Lomond, it is Roddy Woomble, Like Caruso, from his latest album, the Deluder, one of my favourites of this year.

You have missed out a track, between Roddy and Hamish there is an instrumental called Ricecar by Penguin Cafe. This was plazing in Assai in Broughty Ferry one day when I was in and when I left the shop I could not get it out of my head, so went back and bought the album, a good decision as it is a belter. It is the son of the guz from Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

10 - There arenae many tracks that have "starry-eyed crustacean" in them...is this Hamish Hawk? Tis a superb tune. I saw him just once, supporting the SDO at a do in Anster. Am sure I heard this live... My lass bought his CD (Aznavour) at the time and it isnae on that.
It is indeed Hamish with Catherine Opens A Window, probablz mz favourite Hamish song. It has not been released as yet, this was from a session he did for Vic Galloway that somehow ended up on my hard drive

11 - Proper turnaround in sound...an 80s sounding, soul-ful tune. Havenae a clue, but it isnae bad. "Season of Change"...by...?
Season of Change by Stone Foundation featuring Betty LeVette. Thought it was time for a change of direction, this is from an album that features contributions by Weller, LeVette and Willaim Bell, the album falls down when thez have noßone helping them.

12 - Then into a 60s Northen Soul-ish thing? "You've gotta keep on keeping on..." Not a clue, but it's okay.
Northern Soul standard Keep On Keeping On bz Nolan Prter. An A and R guz tried to turn Joy Divsion into a soul band and got them to play this, the results were terrible but they nicked the riff for Interzone on Unknown Pleasures.

13 - Then a Certifiable Pairty Banger. The Slits doing Marvin Gaye's 'Heard It Through The Grapevine'. Proper stoater. Marvellous.
Never ages, stone cold classic

14 - A bluesy little number....made me first think of Fats Domino (cos I know nowt about The Blues)...then it reminded me of Emporium! Saw them in the East Neuk Hotel in 2014...they were ace. Anyway, nae idea who this is...has lines like "two fingers of whisky" "to keep down the devil, livin' in me".
This is Elton John and Jack White, Two Fingers of Whisky from the soundtrack to the American Epic documentary series. Zou didnät see that coming did you?

15 - This sounds like a Scottish band...kinda T-Rex-y sounding. Tune is called Trouble? They spell out T.R.O.U.B.L.E., much like KC likes his speelling bees in tunes. Thought it could be the Skoubhie Dubh Orchestra, but it isnae KC on vocal duties...so...I'm clueless. Again.
 TROUBLE by Miracle Glass Company. The played at the Edinburgh Book Festival gig that the Khartoum Heroes did last zear, thez have a Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance vibe that I really like

16 - This one is Hipsway, but not one I'm familiar with. Pretty guid.
Set This Day Apart, last track, side 2 of Hipsway's eponymous album

17 - Acoustic track, female singer...quite pleasant...reminds me of Feist, because of certain mannerisms in her voice.
Laura Gibson ß Damn Sure. KC played this on one of the ENH covers night, I loved his version so checked out the original. Rarely a day has gone bz since that I havenät plazed this. )Iäm fed up with trzing to work out which kezs I need to substitute so zouäll have to put up with the misßtzpes

18 - "Nobody gets out of here alive, all the idiots love another rock n' roll suicide"...nice upbeat, acoustic number ;) Seems to be a fair few nods to the Neil Young back catalogue in the lyrics? Get the feeling it's mid-90s, maybe after Kurt put another breathe-hole in his head. I loved Kurt's music. Love a bit of Neil too. This isnae a bad little ditty.
Withered Hand After The Rain from the minißLp he recorded and released with BelgianßBarcelonaßbased Singer of Songs. Another lovelz dittz from the great man.

19 - 180 degree switch in mood from sombre to silly-ish. Actually thought it was Lloyd Cole, until he got to the bit singing about "that was the day the aliens saved the Earth". It's good fun and has kinda wormed its way into my heid. I fervently hope the reveal says it really is Lloyd Cole...that'd be mad.
 Interesting storz to this one. This is Aliens bz a guz I work with called Steve Gardner. He sent a mail and a couple of demos to Chuck Prophet of Red on Green asking if he would produce an album, much to his surprise Chuck said zes. He reminds me of Hamish Hawk, clever, sometimes plazful lzrics, similar vocal deliverz too.

20 - A lovely bookend to the mix, matching the lush orchestral instrumental at the start. Piano-led thing and it's right nice.
This is Nuvole Bianchi bz Ludivico Eunadi, I think it has been used in a number of soundtracks and documentarz beds. It was one of mz brotherßinßlaws favourites which is probablz whz zou ended up with a 2nd cd of his wake soundtrack rather than an unmixed version of the mix.

1. Wheatfield With Crows - Clint Mansell
2. Go To Hell - David Ford
3. Sing All Our Cares Away - Damien Dempsey
4. They Gave Me A Lamp - PSB
5. The Rattler - Goodbye Mr McKenzie
6. Rachel - The Wedding Present
7. Rooftops - Bdz Prts
8. Gluttony - Paul Heaton ft. Kenny Anderson
9. Like Caruso - Roddz Woomble
10. Ricercar - Penguin Cafe
11. Catherine Opens A Window - Hamish Hawk
12. Season of Change - Stone Foundation ft. Betty LeVette
13. Keep On Keeping On - Nolan Porter
14. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - The Slits
15. 2 Fingers of Whisky - Elton John and Jack White
16. TROUBLE - Miracle Glass Companz
17. Set This Day Apart - Hipsway
18. Damn Sure - Laura Gibson
19. After The Rain - Withered Hand
20. Aliens - Steve Gardner
21. Nuvole Bianchi - Ludovico Bianchi

Surprised I didnae pick up on David Gedge's voice...and the Elton White collab was a proper shocker.

Even more shocking is me buying Elt's 'Songs For The West Coast' on vinyl recently, just for 'I Want Love'.

I reaaallly like that tune, dunno why. Music, eh? The rest was utter gash though, so I took it back and got James Holden's newie instead.

I hae the Hipsway LP and never spotted it all...guess I'm too hung up on Tinder, Long White Car and Honeythief.

Gluttony, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Clint Mansell, Bdy_Prts....a few things to snap up, then. Fir fuck's sake man, I'm a public sector worker on extortionate rent in the South East of Brexitania...how is my kid gonna survive on bread and water efter buying a' them? ;)

And kudos again on the mixey-blendy front...it was that good that I missed the Penguin Cafe Orchestra track completely.

Oh, and the cover art...as an avid user/fan of MS Paint, I know good shopping when I see it...a right stoater.

Leckers

« Reply #37 on: Sun, Nov 26, 2017, 18:40 PM »

Hey mate, glad you enjoyed the
mix. I wanted to put stuff on there
you might not be familiar with and
looks like I succeeded in the most
part.

So, to the reveal:

Track 1 - Farmyard animal noises, moo, baa, tweet etc. 30 seconds of this and I'm about to hit skip when a drum beat kicks in, then a sax, possibly clarinet, still with the farmyard noises. Onto track 2.

01. Animal Hop - Listen With Sarah. Whimsical intro granted but I do like this for some strange reason.

Track 2 - Sparklehorse  Hammering the Cramps, track one now a distant memory. Great stuff

02. Hammering The Cramps - Sparklehorse. Classic from a much-missed genius to get us kicked off proper.

Track 3 - Blues number, contemporary I think, probably English, not Mississippi. Nice when the piano joins in. Depressing mind, I guess that's why they call it the blues.

03. The Tigris - Jacob Yates and the Pearly Gate Lock Pickers - Great wee Glasgow band everyone should be listening to. Formed from the ashes of Uncle John and Whitelock and quite possibly the best band in the country just now. If you want challenging listening, try out care home.

Track 4 - Another slow number, hazy, echoey vocal, psychedelic feel to it, building to a crescendo, not bad.

04. God Is Nowhere - The [Future] King of Scotland. Under-rated Dunfermline lad. Was a Homegame regular but never on stage. This is from his first demo and he went on to release a couple of great albums. Well worth hunting out. Anyone know what Scott is up to these days?

Track 5 - Sounds like one of the US shoegazer bands, Pavement? Grandaddy? If it were on my turntable I'd be checking to see if there was fluff on the needle as it is a bit muffled. Decent song through, I like this genre in small doses.

05. Fishing Boat Song - M Ward. Love this guy and this is a track from his debut. Is it almost 20 years ago?

Track 6 - Down tempo again, not really grabbing me, altogether a bit bland really.

06. Waiting for You - Immigrant. Thought you would have liked this one. Wasn’t sure if you were familiar with him as he was a bit of a Fence legend back in the day. KC does a wonderful version of this on his best Picket, and in hindsight I probably should have put that on instead

Track 7 - This is the theme tune to the 70's BBCC Documentary series Arena, the one where the bottle with the title of the show washes ashore. Lovely piano piece, I put a couple of similar tracks on my mix.

07. Meer - Faust. This isn’t what you thought it was but it is similar. From the BBC Sessions. I think the Arena music is Brian Eno.

Track 8 - Sounds like Lone Pigeon talking over a backing track and film sample about the writing process. I like this kind of track, Aiden Moffat and Van Morrison are both great proponents of it

08. Tears Usually Come Later - Lone Pigeon, Captain Geeko and MC Quake. The words are from an interview Gordon did around this time and music put together by Andy and Joe. From a Fencezine cd I believe.

Track 9 - Sitar instrumental, makes me yearn for a garlic chilli chicken.

09. Sitar U Like - Pip Dylan. A dazzling piece from Een. Nails every genre known to man. And if you don’t agree - wait til you get to your description of his next track.

Track 10 - Ally's Tartan Army at the wrong speed, then speeded and slowed down again. Not the worst thing I've ever heard but a strong contender for the top 2. Whoever thought what the world needed was an Andy Cameron song at varying speeds?

10. * - Now Wakes The Sea. Don’t know much about this guy, Falkirk I think, but the three albums I do have are well worth searching out. This is just an interlude before part two but it has a certain charm

Track 11 - This is more like it, sounds like one of Pearl Jam's more tuneful effort,s but it's not Eddie Vedder. Nice piece of Americana, the horrors of track 10 gone but not totally forgotten

11. Lone Star Song - Grant Lee Buffalo. Opening track from their average second album but this one is a killer. The first album Fuzzy is a belter and comes highly recommended if you like this sort of thing.

Track 12 - Sounds like Charles Latham, I like this a lot, as RaveDamage pointed out, I'm a big fan of singer-songwriters

12. I Met You By The Lake - Matt Amino. Solo track from the Amino People frontman. Their album is one of the best things Fence released.

Track 13 - Vocal low in the mix, this sounded like it would be a slow builder but ended up meandering along at the same pace. OK but I was expecting a bit more.

13. Torch Song - Shady Bard. No nowt about this band but I think this was an OTF recommendation a few years back.

Track 14 - Another slow burner, tortured female vocal a la Kathryn Joseph, but without the Eartha Kitt/Kate Bush impersonation. I like this too, will definitely listen again. We had an interesting experience with Kat Jospeh at a Roddy Woomble gig recently, I'll tell you about it sometime.

14. Sparrow - Woodpecker Wooliams. This is from a Toad Session a while back. Can’t remember how I became aware of her but this is great. Her new band Becky Becky is also fairly interesting

Track 15 -  This is a familiar instumental, can't palce it though, nice track

15. Birth - The [Future] King of Scotland. Another bedroom effort from the lofi Dunfy boy. Makes you wonder what he could have produced with some decent equipment.

Track 16 - Another blues track, this sounds more like an original Delta blues track, possibly Son House, right up my street

16. Yo Child - Pip Dylan. I’m sure Een will be pleased with the authentic description. Wonderful track taken from his blues album Approved Pending Decision. The man is talented beyond words.

Track 17 - A very echoey version of Ae Fond Kiss, male vocal, electric guitar, sounds like it was recorded in a public toilet. I'm not a big fan of the song but as versions go this is ok.

17. Ae Fond Kiss - Now Wakes The Sea. He did a mini album of Burns a couple of years ago. You probably wont be buying it.

Track 18 - A gospel feel to this one, shades of Jack White in the vocal. One of my favourites thus far.

18. The Charles C Leary - Devendra Banhart. I thought you might have known this. From the second album oh me oh my which has a pigeon-esque feel to it.

Track 19 - I know this one, a rarity on this mix. It's Rob St. John, I think it's off Weald, reminds me that I haven't listened to that album recently. I heard Rob had Weil's disease, I hope he's feeling better.

19. Whites Of Our Eyes - Rob St John. Got it in one. Though not from the album. This was a single from a couple of years previously. I was a bit disappointed with the album tbh, but remain a huge fan. His Toad Session from around that time is wonderful.

Track 20 - Just when you thought you were safe, another version of Ally's Tartan Army turns up. Whilst being significantly better than the original and immeasurably better than track 10, it is still let down by the quality of the source material.

20. Ally’s Tartan Army - Northern Alliance. Another criminally undervalued Fence affiliate. I much prefer Doug’s music to his books and this is a lovely take on the classic. ;)

A mix I enjoyed, without there being one track that I would say was a real killer. Great to get a mix where I knew so few of the tracks and there are definitely a few that I will check out when I see the reveal. The Ally's Tartan Army tacks, notsomuch.

Cheers mixer.

Glad you liked some of it. :)

Leckers

« Reply #38 on: Sun, Nov 26, 2017, 18:41 PM »
oh, and got mine on saturday
morning. review to follow....

czefski

« Reply #39 on: Sun, Nov 26, 2017, 19:03 PM »

Cheers Leckers, I suspected it was you that was the mixer.

You are right enough about Pip, I'd have sworn that whoever was signing the blues song had just done 16 hours in the cotton fields. If anyone has a spare of this album I'd be happy to buy it off you.

I saw M. Ward support the White Stripes in Boston in 2005, he was really good, never bought any of his stuff though and never heard of him again until today.

Leckers

« Reply #40 on: Sun, Nov 26, 2017, 19:31 PM »

Cheers Leckers, I suspected it was you that was the mixer.

You are right enough about Pip, I'd have sworn that whoever was signing the blues song had just done 16 hours in the cotton fields. If anyone has a spare of this album I'd be happy to buy it off you.

I saw M. Ward support the White Stripes in Boston in 2005, he was really good, never bought any of his stuff though and never heard of him again until today.

Ha, no worries. Not sure where you
would get copies of een’s albums.
Maybe Kenny could help out? Who
knows with those boys - incredible
music no-one can get their hands
on. It’s just like the good old days.

And yeah I would check out m ward’s
early albums, but steer clear of him
and her.

ravedamage

« Reply #41 on: Mon, Nov 27, 2017, 00:05 AM »
This mix is recorded as one single track.

There are parts that sound to me like a soundtrack from a sci-fi movie that may never be made but could be. There are other parts I don’t really understand how they fit in the theme that I may just be imagining but what’s space without mystery eh?

I like this idea and wish it had been my intention...the other parts that you don't understand could be (very tenuously) linked into this theme, but that would make my reply around 5000 words. Naebdy wants that.

Times are approx…Destinations are endless...

0 – Fanfare Intro. 70s/80s kids tv intro. Earth..space. Planets. Moomins. Mr Spoon. Buttonmoon kind of vibe. Like watching the tv at your grans house when you were a kid while playing with toy space ships….dreaming of adventures…..stars…galaxies….aliens…..space chics…..

Oliver Postgate's dulcet tones, from Episode 1 of The Clangers...Vernon Eliot did the sounds.

1.36 Slow spacey build up. Nice. Space chic asks if we are ok. Yeah space chic we are. Ready for the journey. Strapped in….. And blast off!! This is nice. Epic in a not overbearing way. Floating in space vibe, taking in the vastness of the universe. What a way to start! Wow.

This is a Triassic Tusk release...Sometimes by The Sexual Objects, with Boards Of Canada on remix duty. It's a fudgin' beautiful thing.

4.50 This is lovely and gets better with each listen. Simple compared to last track but goes together well. All gentle guitars, soft vocals, brushed drums. Very nice. Dreamy. Is there a line about twilight mushrooms overhead? Is that a space/stars thing? Kinda don’t want to think about it too much – just enjoy the ride. It’s a nice ride.

This is Twilight Mushrooms by Slum, from 1998 (on Warp Records). They only released this 7" under the Slum moniker, then became Parsley Sound (on Mo Wax). The Parsley LP is ace...this track is on it. My initial idea behind the mix was "summer's over"...made a playlist of over 4 hours of tracks and began blending and whittling...your space idea is better.

10.33 Oh it’s gone a bit ominous. Someone playing ping pong in the hall. Some beats make it ok though. And that squelchy bass!! This is great actually. Recognise it a bit. It’s like the French Air guys mixed with River of Found. Space vibe again. Meet the Aliens. Maybe they will be along later?

Brothers In Sound...Journey Song...1998 again. They were on Regal Recordings, like the Beta Band, and only ever made 3 EPs (unlike the Betas). All their EPs are ace. Wonky, woozy loveliness...one member of them features a bit later...older and wiser, though no less woozy.

14.48 Space Jungle? I actually like this more in the bits without the drums. Like the bit in the middle with the robotic intercom voice. ‘Download. Nothing.’ Aye.

I know what ye mean. I had The KLF's 'Kylie Said To Jason' down as a 'sure thing' to be in this mix, but blends and context and blah take precedence sometimes...so that went oot and this came in...Underworld's 'Scribble', a track I only found out existed this summer and grew to love in the blink of an eye. Love the drum and bass parts, but the middle is classic Underworld...ambience/samples...oooft

21.20 This is like a chase scene in the original Terminator video. Actually got that shiver thing where you don’t want to look over your shoulder…. Until…

I had several TV themes in this mix initially, but my all time fave is probably this, hence it being included...and for the daft mix it lets me get away wi' after it...The Equalizer Busy Equalizing, by Stewart Copeland.

22.ish Funky beats. Building up to a …wasn’t expecting that… a jazzy break? No idea where this is going which is great! Ah the bassy build up is back but so is the subtle jazz flute thing. A headfucker this! And now an electro beat bass break kinda thing….hang on is it a new song?.....

A clunky beat mix into this classic by the Beta Band - Sequinsizer. I've got everything by the Betas, though they have done some wrongs, heh. This is classic them though, the B-side from the To You Alone single...very 2000.

25.17 This is mixed really well! Very smooth. Is that the boy Mason? Maybe from that album I was never keen on. The weird purple 80s one? Leckers liked it. It might not even be Steve Mason.

It's still Sequinsizer blissing out here...so many things on the go, what a tune.

27.20 – Spacing out again. Ah this is the one that’s probably my fave on this mix. Just gonna sit and enjoy this for a while. Soak in the stars. That space chic voice and those hypnotic bleeps! Superb. I probably know who this is but I’m not going to guess. We are on auto pilot here. Guide me space chic, you have the controls. Set course for planet Bliss…..

Was never keen on any other FC Kahuna output, but this tune, Hayling, still slays me...such a blissful, downtempo track.

34.26 This sounds like the Mason man again. Which means the other one probably wasn’t. I don’t know this one so it’s always good to hear new mason stuff. Hang on I do know this don’t I ? Anyway it’s a nice continuation of the space theme. The bit with the drums is like the cockpit of the spaceship going through a meteor shower. We are on a space ship eh?

Indeed it is...and that other one was too. He might pop up again y'know...saw his restropective gig at the Barbican in January, what a nicht that was...made me revisit jist about everyhing Masonic. This is 'To You Alone', still a heartbreaker 17 years on..."a black box inside my mind, records the time we spent together"....sigh.

38 ish Oh nice mix again – caught me out there! Electro groove with a seductive vocal. I like this. No idea who it is or how it fits the space theme. Is she an alien seductress trying to trick me into telling her the location of the rebel base? I’d tell her if I knew.

This is from an amazing compilation called Sky Girl, all super-rare cuts of private pressings etc., from a land Down Under. Well worth buying. Another might feature later, who knows? It's Karen Marks with a track called 'Cold Cafe'...the original 7" of which has sold for £230, apparently...music, eh?

39.57. Sorry I just don’t get on with this kind of thing. Maybe the space seductress has drugged my cold coffee and I’ve woken up in a psych space folk garden party. Where did she go?

This is on another (amazing) comp from the past 12 months...Pete Wiggs & Bob Stanley's 'English Weather'. More rarities/private press (etc) action. This tune is called 'Windfall', by Offspring. They only ever made one 7". There is something about the rise and fall of the chorus and just that indefinable thing I can't quite put into words. It has a lovely sentiment to it, too. I wish I'd written it about someone. Obsessed with it, so I am.

45.07 I think we are back on track here. Quite mysterious though. Did the space monk say help us to live in the bath? It feels like they want me to join them but I don’t trust them. They are hooded and have soulless eyes. Maybe they know where space chic is though? No, don’t trust them…. They are  saying Leicester is not very far. We’ve come all this way to go to Leicester? Sorry space priest I’m outta here…..

I love the drone of this tune....harking back to Brothers In Sound, I only found out that this chap - Ed Dowie - was one of them Brothers this year, after I got his LP 'The Uncle Sold'. 18 years on from Journey Song and he makes a belting LP of which 'Richard' was the standout for me. A tune about the Lionheart king, ffs. Music, eh?

49.58 ‘Where did she go?’ That’s what I’m asking fella. Me and this guy are talking the same language. Which is nice after the weird spooky drug guys. Maybe he can help. He seems ok. He knows people need people. Aye, it’s a big old cold universe.

It's an old, cold world indeed. People need people as Depeche Mode never once sang. Yet anither tune from 1999/2000...this is Day One with I'm Doin' Fine. It was released on Massive Attack's label and sounds, well, a bit Massive in parts. One part Unfinished Sympathy and one part summat else. Still love it...those orchestral stabs...am such a sucker for that.

55.11 Is this….have they cloned him? Is he also looking for space chic? Actually I’m not sure it is him. I like this though. It is him isn’t it?

Haaaa...yeah, yeah it is...the (cl)one and only. I've been listening to Meet The Humans for far too long. This tune, those deadpan-ish vocals, that melancholic Fife/East Coast hing he has...gotta believe in Steve. The LP isnae perfect but of the five gems, 'Words In My Head' is hard to beat.

59.ish  Strange Fruit cover. Nice. Can’t quite figure out why it’s here though. I’m missing something.

This is off a 7" I picked up in the summer...it's Robert Wyatt doing what you said. I bought it for the A-side initially, more of which in a smidge, and this B-side was an exquisite cherry, dipped in gold and sexy concrete, then thrown through the window of a Brexiteer.

62.48 This is nice. Echoey piano and others spacey type effects. The vocals are a bit despondent though. Atmospheric and maybe a little unsettling at times but it’s good all the same.

Heh...you just described Radiohead in a nutshell, for it is they. 'Daydreaming' is the track...been loving it for a long time. That and their (rejected Bond theme) Spectre are two lush, melancholic peas in a pod.

68.23 Hang on is this space chic? Is she singing in some low down space port dive bar? Dreaming of regrets.  I’ll save you……

This is also from the Sky Girl comp mentioned earlier...Joyce Heath and 'I Wouldn't Dream Of It'. Just lovely.

70.40ish … but I can hardly see in front of me. I’ve been blinded by moping foppish space jazz….i was so close to finding space chic and zooming off to the stars with her……

Robert Wyatt again, with a cover of 'At Last I Am Free'. Stunning and wonky.

74.56 …..We are back on earth in granny’s front room listening to the wireless. A medley of old classics I hardly know the names of but all are recognisable. Was it all a dream? Was she real? The spooky space monks and the Steve Mason clones? It sounds like something I’d dream….but it’s nice to be home all the same.

I hoped you would know this...it's 'Scotlandia', by Geraldo and His Orchestra. It was the auld STV ident music they played before telly started in the late 70s/early 80s. Always followed by a chap reciting the various transmitters yer telly was getting the pictures from...here is one such example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Ki-Ham-Xc&list=FLtd3phHThshhvbE2F1VBIJg&index=59

What a journey! Apart from a couple of hairy moments this was an awesome adventure. Really enjoyed it! ;D

Kudos to the director for having the vision to set out on an epic voyage into the mostly unknown.

Please confirm co-ordinates so I can search the stars for space chic – hang on is that what the cd cover is?!!

Thanks Mixer.  8)

Glad ye enjoyed it, Sir...tracklisting is below...anyone fancying a listen, you can download here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3c7j28n1y6x44g3/AETC%20Mixclub%20October%202017%20-%20Fuctifano%20Recipient%20%28Sometimes%20Mix%29.mp3?dl=0

Sometimes...

Vernon Eliot - Intro Music And Dialogue From 'Episode One'
      The Sexual Objects - Sometimes (Boards of Canada Remix)
      Slum - Twilight Mushrooms
      Brothers In Sound - Journey Song
      Underworld - Scribble
      Stewart Copeland - The Equalizer Busy Equalizing
      The Beta Band - Sequinsizer
      FC Kahuna - Hayling
      The Beta Band - To You Alone
      Karen Marks - Cold Cafe
      Offspring - Windfall
      Ed Dowie - Richard
      Day One - I'm Doin' Fine
      Steve Mason - Words In My Head
      Robert Wyatt - Strange Fruit
      Radiohead - Daydreaming
      Joyce Heath - I Wouldn't Dream Of It
      Robert Wyatt - At Last I Am Free
      Geraldo & His Orchestra - Scotlandia

fuctifano

« Reply #42 on: Mon, Nov 27, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Great stuff RaveDamage! I've given this a fair few listens now and it keeps getting better. I'd strongly suggest that others have a listen too. It really is excellent.
I'd like to get back to you later on a couple of points as further listening has brought up some bits and bobs, but in the meantime thanks for an exceptional mix mixed exceptionally well!

Die Sehnsucht

« Reply #43 on: Mon, Nov 27, 2017, 17:36 PM »
Wow. This is ace! Thank you so much for sharing.
Ladies and gentlemen, I am floating in space ...  And I’m loving this Hub more and more : )

Deegers

« Reply #44 on: Mon, Dec 04, 2017, 18:33 PM »
mixed down, mixed up, how long before i just post the mixes to mix cloud and then whatever........