Author Topic: The 6th Rule of Mix Club ...  (Read 4792 times)

FilthySwan

Re: The 6th Rule of Mix Club ...
« Reply #45 on: Wed, Dec 06, 2017, 13:11 PM »
Richt, the weather's pish so i settled down this morning to give this a go. My mixer outed themselves on the other thread as i got 3 CD's in the post. Given the gargantuan 30 tracks i've reviewed it all as i go in one sitting. So basically don't trust me when i say a track is great/crap/ok is what i'm saying.

Nice artwork byraway

CD1: It's Lit - Beats

Lolloping Massive Attack style beat with synths think itís African maybe off one of those Nigerian compilations. Like it donít love it.

Female African groove with nice backing vocals and a bouncing baseline. No idea what it is. Nice though.

This is one is quite Young Fathers esq but itís not them. Itís a female I think but itís not Law Holt either. Thereís something slightly cheesy about some of the melody and Lyrics. Like itís their first go at making a Massive Attack track. Itís still the best one so far.

Electro-Shoegazy track. I know the voice Iím sure of it. Itís not Charlotte Hatherley who was in Ash is it? I had her first solo album years ago, mainly cos I fancied her Iím sure sheíd be thrilled to know. Iím convinced itís her now. It probably isnít as it seems so obscure. Itís quite good.

Rihanna - Rude Boy. I never thought Iíd get this on a Mix!! I donít mind it to be fair.

Christ, this is this that poppy one that goes ďI donít care, I love itĒ canít remember who it is but Iíve heard it. One of the drawbacks of having a 9 year old is that despite him listening to some great music he also wants to listen to Capital FM regularly. Itís shite.

Prince - hands up, I donít know much of his stuff. I know some of his hits due to my Maw Ďní Paw having a greatest hits tape way back when. I like him though just never really dug any deeper. Donít know this one but I like it.

This sounds quite LCD Soundsystem musically by way of Hey Macarena. With spoken word type vocals over the top. Iím not sure what to make of it. Itís ok

I think this is my new favourite. Thereís a Prince-esque feel to it but with 80ís hip hop beats and vocodered mass vocals and a Hair Metal outro. Itís a bit bonkers and brilliant for it.

Female vocal I think Iíve heard before. Itís set over some quite theatrical, over the top synths and drums. It puts me in mind of Wild Beasts or the little Iíve heard of Alt-J. Yeah, itís not bad.

CD2: Yeah - Guitars (Mostly)

80ís style keys rather than guitars I think. Kind of passed me by this one.

Another 80ís style male vocal number I actually really like it. Itís probably called Ship of Fools and I should probably know it but Iím showing my age here. Itís good though despite the 80ís production.

Noel Gallagherís High Flying Birds - The Mexican. As a spotty teen Oasis were ĎMy Bandí at least until Kid ĎAí came out and blew me off course forever. Because of that teenage dedication I always keep an ear out and hear all the stuff they do. Thereís something decent on all the stuff heís done Heathen Chemistry apart. His new albums pretty good generally. This ones ok.

Graham Coxon - I forget the name of this one but itís from one the first two albums he released after leaving Blur and kind of upped his game in terms of making it sound a bit glossier. Sounds quite like Blur in places quelle suprise.

Suede - It Starts and Ends With You.
I often think a lot of Suede sounds exactly the same. Animal Nitrate is still a blinding song though. This is decent, itís from their more recent output and was a single I think as Iíve definitely heard it before.

NYC Indie Punk Disco type song with shouty female vocals like Yeah Yeah Yeahs but itís not them. Itís decent.

PJ Harvey - This Is Love
From just before she went up her own arse a bit. I bought this as Thom Yorke is on the album and subsequently bought more of her stuff. Let England Shake was great and the last one has its moments but feels like sheíd maybe just stretched the preaching an album too far. Round about White Chalk I couldnít tolerate her despite enjoying a couple of songs. I think it was the Victorian get up she was in and the interviews. She just annoyed me, no idea why. She was on the same Episode of Later With Jools Holland as KC in that White Chalk era and i keep waiting to hear a KC anecdote saying she was an insufferable arsehole so i can say "i KNEW it!!" but he never has. She's probably lovely. Yeah this is good. Really like the album itís from.

American male vocals with nice falsetto backing vocals running through it. Itís got an Americana twang to it. I fucking hate that term despite liking a lot of the music once upon a time. No idea who it is.

The opening bar had me thinking it was Talking Heads but this is BjŲrk but Iím guessing itís the Sugarcubes? I have a weird relationship with BjŲrk. Iíd easily put Homogenic in my top 10 albums ever. I like lots of her other stuff but itís sometimes a slog to get through an album in a sitting. It starts to grate. Same with her new album, Iím trying though. Would love to see her live mind you. This is quite weird but interesting hearing her in this more straightforward context.

Is this The Vaccines? I hate them. Why? Because the singers called Van McCann. Thatís why. No thatís wrong, heís in Catfish & The Bottlemen. I hate Van McCann because heís in a band called Catfish & The Bottlemen and I hate the Vaccines because I confuse them with Van McCannís band. Who I hate. Despite never hearing a note.
Itís a toe tapper I suppose.

CD 3: Shh - Lights Out

Starts off like something from Stranger Things soundtrack. Then thereís some heavily vocodered vocals in the verses and Iím thinking Black Moth Super Rainbow but thereís a quite clear 80ís style female sung chorus that kind of ruins it. Dunno who it is. Good rather than great.

Cigarettes After Sex? The band, not an offer. That would be dangerous. Iíve got the album after liking a song the radio wireless. Itís all a bit samey but nice. Equally this could be Beach House they released something this year I think. Either way. Itís nice, definitely embodies the theme of ďlights outĒ

This could be Beach House actually? I think the last thing they released was like a b-sides/rarities album. This sounds like a cover of something I should know. Itís really rather lovely. Iím convinced itís a cover now. Was this on the other CD?

Lorde? She seems pretty good. I like her album but donít know it in and out. The single Green Light is fucking mega. It was the performance on Jools Holland that got me.

Female vocal cover of Hey Joe. No idea who itís by but I quite like it. Donít get me wrong I donít like it enough to actively seek it how but itís nice.

Venus In Furs - The Velvet Underground
Thereís days I think The VU are the greatest band ever. There are other days when they are only in the top 5. Enough said.

Cover of Sweet Jane, female vocal. I think Mazzy Star did a cover but I donít think itís them. Not doing much for me.

Country tinged song with strings and growly vocals. Production too clean. Itís ok but itís mainstream radio production annoys me. I think I know the singer but am wondering if this is a cover.

R.E.M. - Nightswimming. Funnily enough I watched a programme about them on Saturday night. I kind of always forget about them but theyíve got some brilliant songs. I went to see them on the Around The Sun tour in Belfast or Dublin cos my ex really liked them. The show blew me away actually. I even like a couple of songs on that album. It was Dublin because I got delayed at work and missed the flight and had to re-book on a night time flight. I remember seeing someone getting thrown through a window of a fast food place on that street with the big spire thing.

Not sure about this one. Again feel like I know his voice but itís quite gentle. Acoustic guitar and piano type affair. Not crap just not doing much for me.

Conclusion

Reading that back it reads like i'm not arsed about any of it which isn't strictly true. I didn't hate anything apart from that Capital FM one from the first CD. On the whole most of it was pleasant but the disclaimer is that it was a first time listen and will change as i listen more.

Number 9 0n CD 1 and 2 on CD 2 are my current favourites. Its been a nice way to pass a shitty morning and oh shite its ten past one and i've done none of the stuff i was meant to do today and the school bell will be going soon. Looking forward to the reveal.

FilthySwan

« Reply #46 on: Mon, Dec 18, 2017, 00:02 AM »
**Ahem**

Marion

« Reply #47 on: Wed, Dec 20, 2017, 15:35 PM »
Well here goes...

CD1

1. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Dum Mustt. Qawwali singer from Pakistan. Regarded as one of the greatest voices ever recorded. Hypnotic & addictive.
2. Jain - Makeba. Infectious French/Arabic/African groove. Canít help but wiggle
3. Grace Jones - This Is. First I wanted to be Debbie Harry. Then Grace Jones. I still want to be Grace Jones
4. Metric - Help Iím Alive. Just love thatís itís a bit all over the place.
5. Rihanna - Rude Boy. In your face. I like that
6. Icona Pop - I Love It. The perfect angry pop song. And I love it.
7. Prince - Black Sweat. I love Prince. Iím still gutted heís gone. Best musician Iíve ever seen. This is him at his naughty snake-hipped best
8. Scissor Sisters - Letís Have a Kiki. Canít beat a bit of NYC camp disco
9. Prince - Funknroll. This is always on repeat. Itís bonkers genius.
10. Susanne Sundfor - Lilith. The fusion of her otherworldly vocals & big beat electronica is goosebumpy. Already got my ticket for March in Edinburgh

CD2

1. The Waterboys- A Girl Called Johnny. This kickstarted my enduring love affair of 34 years
2. World Party - Ship of Fools. Scarily prophetic anthem of our times.
3. Noel Gallagher - The Mexican. I like the way this trips along. Is that a glockenspiel? I hope so. One of my favourite words
4. Graham Coxon - You & I. Perfect mix of messy guitars & Cockney vocals
5. Suede - It Starts & Ends With You. Recent stuff from Suede is really rather good. Brettís almost as good a skinny front man as Jarvis. Jarvis *sigh*
6. Doll & the Kicks - You Turn Up. Saw them support Morrissey years ago. A good Ďfuck youí song
7. PJ Harvey - This Is Love. Raw. Lust. Grrrr
8. Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy. Swoony vocals
9. Sugarcubes- Hit. BjŲrk. Massive girl crush.
10. The Vaccines - Wreckiní Bar (Ra Ra Ra). Just jump up & down and smile

CD3

1. Kavinsky & Lovefoxxx - Nightcall. ĎDriveí soundtrack. 80s/David Lynch/spooky after dark vibe
2. Cigarettes After Sex - Nothingís Gonna Hurt You Baby. Sounds like itís recorded in the middle of a huge warehouse. Huge warehouses are perfect for this sort of thing. Just add breathy lady vocals
3. Camille OíSullivan - The Ship Song. Nick Cave cover. She does it better.
4. Banks - Waiting Game. Delicate voice. Big Beats. Recorded in a warehouse. Tick.
5. Charlotte Gainsbourg - Hey Joe. Breathy warehouse again.
6. The Velvet Underground - Venus In Furs. Genius.
7. Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane. Warehouse lullaby
8. The Waterboys- You in the Sky. Mike with Steve Wickham on fiddle. Thatíll do. Always
9. R.E.M.- Nightswimming. Once broke into an outdoor swimming pool at night & played this. Thatís how much I love it.
10. World Party - And I Fell Back Alone. The break up song that never fails to get me. If KC covered this, well...

FilthySwan

« Reply #48 on: Thu, Dec 21, 2017, 07:14 AM »
Thanks Marion, been listening back and forward some more, liking cd1 the best.

I think itís cowbell on the Noel Gallagher track sadly. Isnít the Cigarettes After Sex singer a bloke?

Thanks again

Marion

« Reply #49 on: Thu, Dec 21, 2017, 10:22 AM »
CD1? I bet you skip ĎI Love Ití or are you secretly singing it loud & proud??

A cowbell just isnít the same. Maybe you can recommend a glockenspiel track for me?

Just looked up CAS singer. It is a bloke! I had a Julee Cruise type in my head. Well there you go, Warehouses work for everyone. I nearly put La Wally - Wilhelmenia Fernandez on CD3. From the ĎDivaí film soundtrack - thatís another lady in a warehouse if you enjoy that sort of thing

Glad you enjoyed it a bit at least  :)

FilthySwan

« Reply #50 on: Thu, Dec 21, 2017, 16:59 PM »
CD1? I bet you skip ĎI Love Ití or are you secretly singing it loud & proud??

A cowbell just isnít the same. Maybe you can recommend a glockenspiel track for me?

Just looked up CAS singer. It is a bloke! I had a Julee Cruise type in my head. Well there you go, Warehouses work for everyone. I nearly put La Wally - Wilhelmenia Fernandez on CD3. From the ĎDivaí film soundtrack - thatís another lady in a warehouse if you enjoy that sort of thing

Glad you enjoyed it a bit at least  :)

Yeah I definitely skip I Love It but Iím enjoying the first two tracks a lot more especially now. If thatís your sort of thing try out Pop Makossa: The Invasive Dance Beat of Cameroon thereís a song on that by Bill Loko thatís an absolute belter.

Deegers

« Reply #51 on: Fri, Dec 22, 2017, 16:13 PM »
I shall wait til the new year until I post my mixes for general consumption.

Chaffinch

« Reply #52 on: Sun, Dec 31, 2017, 14:05 PM »
I've been listening to my mix on and off for the last few weeks going to and from work.  Top mix.

1.  'I never made you mix tapes'...  Picked electric guitar with finger clicking and a female vocalist.  Great start.

2.  South American? female singer with brass and cool drums.  Good fun.

3.  Sparks?  I like this one a lot.  Is this from their latest album?

4.  Sounds like Angel Olsen or PJ Harvey.  Another great track.

5.  No idea who this is either but it's a top tune.  Reminds of The Cure if they were fronted by a woman.

6.  The guitars on this one are a bit OUT and the vocal is a bit John Lydon-ish.  This didn't do much for me.

7.  Japanese girl rock.  Good fun but not on repeat listens.

8.  South American or African female singers over a marimba? led song.  Like this.

9.  Love this a lot.  The singer sounds like a less insane Bjork.

10.  A band wearing their 80's influences ob their sleeve.  I can hear early U2 and some Adam Ant style drumming. Didn't  take to this at first but it grew on me after a few listens.

11.  This like a cross between Madness and Blur.  Barmy lyrics.  Like it.

12.  This guy wants to get high and loves his mum and dad.  Nothing wrong with that but not keen on this one.

13.  Is this Teardrop Explodes?  Not familiar with it - thought it was okay.

14.  Chirpy instrumental. 

15.  Another instrumental with Tubular Bells-like intro.  Like this.

16.  Distorted electric guitar leading into a slightly wonky acoustic guitar with a strange folkish female vocal.  Another good one.

17.  Spoken word mentioning Andromeda and Orion's Belt.  Wondering if I missed a theme going on through the mix...

18.  Beautiful female vocals with crickets in the background.

19.  Drone pop with a female vocal.  Reminds me of Explosions In The Sky and Leaf Library.  Quality finish.

Looking forward to the reveal.  Thanks mixer.

Chaffinch/Dr Love.

a.heathen

• Wherever I go so does me go.
« Reply #53 on: Sun, Dec 31, 2017, 15:56 PM »
Cheers. Sorry about the delay, should another turn up, please forward it to Fuctifano with a strongly worded letter.

As an experiment in memory, I am going to attempt to recognise these without checking the playlist, then correct my comments.

1.  'I never made you mix tapes'...  Picked electric guitar with finger clicking and a female vocalist.  Great start.
This is In/Planes aka Inaiah Lujan and Desirae Garcia from the Haunted Windchimes, who are my favourite band I have never seen. This collaboration in more classic pop based than the blue grass of their other band.
https://inplanes.bandcamp.com/
QV http://www.listentoblanktaperecords.com/ and https://www.hauntedwindchimes.com/
Correct. Easy one to start.

2.  South American? female singer with brass and cool drums.  Good fun.
This could be Lila Downs or Juana Molina, but I think it's off a Songlines mix from this year. I tried to keep current. Banzeira by Dona Onete. Those Songlines CDs give me loads of fodder for my ears. Right now I have two unread issues to delve into. I speak very little spanish, other than a few words I have picked up from Manu Chao songs, but I love these rhythms.

3.  Sparks?  I like this one a lot.  Is this from their latest album?
Yes. About a year ago I saw them at the Barbican. Front row, thanks to someone's returns.
Lovely people, playing an ace show.
The Kids have nothing like this.
A Little Bit Like Fun by Sparks from their wonderful and fabulous album,
 Hippopotamus

4.  Sounds like Angel Olsen or PJ Harvey.  Another great track.
Probably Jen Cloher from her eponymous album - my #1 of 2017. She is Courtney Barnett's partner and some of the album is about separation of distance when your other half is a rock star touring the world.
Also has a connection to track one, since Milk! Records that they run together is a label that has introduced me to acres of of new and lovely music. More of that later.
Damn, not only is that wrong but I have failed to place Jen Cloher on this mix. How odd. I heard this singer on Cerys Matthews show, and someone pointed out she has a new album soon.
Are You Free by Pieta Brown

5.  No idea who this is either but it's a top tune.  Reminds of The Cure if they were fronted by a woman.
Oh maybe this is Beth Arzy.  ::) It is. Late night Gideon Coe has become my winding down session and while "everyone" was watching Twin Peaks Strikes Back, this popped up, leading to a load of bands Beth has been in and discovering we share an interest in non-league football and horror films (comes from being a Birmingham City fan in my case)
Laura Palmer by The Luxembourg Signal

6.  The guitars on this one are a bit OUT and the vocal is a bit John Lydon-ish.  This didn't do much for me.
Erm. I don't know. Ah, Mope Grooves. the band who gave this mix it's title "Moon Mope". I heard this on the radio and thought it reminded me of very early Camper Van Beethoven. So I liked it a lot.
Joy by Mope Grooves

7.  Japanese girl rock.  Good fun but not on repeat listens.
Otoboke Beaver. I heard this late one night on Gideon Coe's 6music show and it woke me up and became my go to wake up music for much of the autumn. Yesterday I used it in an emergency when I got into a mope listening to She's A Star by James - who knew that such an outwardly cheerful song could bring on a mope?
Love is Short by Otoboke Beaver. (your computer may pick up a lyrics booklet that I inserted into this mix. Maybe not)

8.  South American or African female singers over a marimba? led song.  Like this.
See #2 Ah, an oldy but goody. Another Songlines one but also regular on Cerys's show. The colombian sound is very african isn't it?
Homaje a Justino by Grupo Socavon

9.  Love this a lot.  The singer sounds like a less insane Bjork.
Either Hachiku or Eivor. Or Fever Ray. Comment to follow. Hachiku who is on Milk! records and has the loveliest videos you can see. I also spotted an Icelandic sound to her voice.
Moon Face by Hachiku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RdEYwJnrk

10.  A band wearing their 80's influences on their sleeve.  I can hear early U2 and some Adam Ant style drumming. Didn't  take to this at first but it grew on me after a few listens.
I can think of so many bands like this in my collection. Oh that's not what I'd say. Saw them in the desert evening and they're very post rock. And young. very different influences that I picked up.
Oceans Ocean by Tribesmen

https://tribesmenmusic.bandcamp.com/album/oceans-ocean (I hear the U2 thing now)

11.  This like a cross between Madness and Blur.  Barmy lyrics.  Like it.
Hmmm, watch this space> Camper Van Beethoven. Ska influences are contemporary with Madness. Blur's better stuff must have been tinged by the first generation of CVB.
Included here as a slight bit of politics.
Might Makes Right by CVB

12.  This guy wants to get high and loves his mum and dad.  Nothing wrong with that but not keen on this one.
You make it sound like Surrender by Cheap Trick. Included because of the other F Word.
F Word by Baby Bird.

13.  Is this Teardrop Explodes?  Not familiar with it - thought it was okay.
I don't think so. I may have put a Julian Cope solo track on here. This was his big hit from the early days of 6 music. When he was still doing pop records. But not as lovely as his first few solo albums - the Syd Barrett off Acid days. Ironically, since JC was definitely ON acid at the time.
I Come From Another Planet Baby by Julian Cope.

14.  Chirpy instrumental. 
Tweet Tweet. ... which opens a brief section themed around space. The final frontier. This is Clint Boon from the inspiral carpets with his popular organ sound.
Philip Glass: Astronaut by CBX

15.  Another instrumental with Tubular Bells-like intro.  Like this.
Two slightly distorted guitars? Another CBX but this one is ColourBoX. Often segued with their (un)Official World Cup Theme, but I like this to stand alone.
Philip Glass by Colourbox

16.  Distorted electric guitar leading into a slightly wonky acoustic guitar with a strange folkish female vocal.  Another good one.
I like the sound of this, cannot wait to find out what it is! Oh yes, another late night wake up tune. Superb bunch of songs that I subsequently downloaded. And you've just prompted me to check her bandcamp to find a Harry Nilsson song.  Swoooooon.
Names of the Stars by Weyes Blood

https://weyesblood.bandcamp.com/

17.  Spoken word mentioning Andromeda and Orion's Belt.  Wondering if I missed a theme going on through the mix...
This dialogue is from Slow West, the Greatest sp-Haggis-etti Western ever made.
 Orion's Belt spoken by Jay Cavendish (It's a lovely soundtrack album too. Has Lone Pigeon on it.)

18.  Beautiful female vocals with crickets in the background.
Incidental music from one of my fave TV shows of 2017, Legion.
It is the song that represents respite from the crazy world of (an actual Xman, kids) Legion.
They realised it's power by creating a 2 hour version :-D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSqTwDtU2Fw
Choir and Crickets by Jeff Russo

LOOK EVERYONE ! AUBREY PLAZA commands you to listen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-_soD9R0io

19.  Drone pop with a female vocal.  Reminds me of Explosions In The Sky and Leaf Library.  Quality finish.
Might well be Leaf Library. I am seeing them later this week.
City in Reverse by Leaf Library.

Glad you liked much of it and hope it inspires tangential leaps of associated listening and things to watch.

a.heathen

« Reply #54 on: Sun, Dec 31, 2017, 16:17 PM »
Moon Mope 2017
1   Mixtapes (Single Version)   in/PLANES
2   Banzeiro   Dona Onete
3   A Little Bit Like Fun   Sparks
4   Are You Free?   Pieta Brown
5   Laura Palmer   Luxembourg Signal
6   Joy   Mope Grooves
7   Love Is Short   Otoboke Beaver
8   Homenaje a Justino   Grupo Socavon
9   Moon Face   Hachiku
10   Oceans Ocean   TRIBESMEN
11   Might Makes Right   Camper Van Beethoven
12   F Word   Baby Bird
13   I come from another planet, baby   Julian Cope
14   Philip Glass: Astronaut   CBX
15   Philip Glass (Remastered)   Colourbox
16   Names of Stars   Weyes Blood
17   Orion's Belt   Jay Cavendish
18   Choir and Crickets   Jeff Russo
19   City In Reverse   The Leaf Library

Deegers

« Reply #55 on: Tue, Jan 02, 2018, 13:00 PM »
Disc 1 - Music for People who are in Trouble.

A melancholic mix for people who are in trouble.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Soundsasleep/hub-mix-music-for-people-in-trouble/

Disc 2 to follow soon.

:-*

funky_nomad

« Reply #56 on: Thu, Jan 04, 2018, 13:02 PM »
Soundsasleep lives!!!  8)

Chaffinch

« Reply #57 on: Thu, Jan 04, 2018, 15:35 PM »
Moon Mope 2017
1   Mixtapes (Single Version)   in/PLANES
2   Banzeiro   Dona Onete
3   A Little Bit Like Fun   Sparks
4   Are You Free?   Pieta Brown
5   Laura Palmer   Luxembourg Signal
6   Joy   Mope Grooves
7   Love Is Short   Otoboke Beaver
8   Homenaje a Justino   Grupo Socavon
9   Moon Face   Hachiku
10   Oceans Ocean   TRIBESMEN
11   Might Makes Right   Camper Van Beethoven
12   F Word   Baby Bird
13   I come from another planet, baby   Julian Cope
14   Philip Glass: Astronaut   CBX
15   Philip Glass (Remastered)   Colourbox
16   Names of Stars   Weyes Blood
17   Orion's Belt   Jay Cavendish
18   Choir and Crickets   Jeff Russo
19   City In Reverse   The Leaf Library

Thanks Ade. Lots of good stuff to check out.

a.heathen

« Reply #58 on: Thu, Jan 04, 2018, 22:01 PM »
Soundsasleep lives!!!  8)

Funkynomad sleeps!!!

funky_nomad

« Reply #59 on: Fri, Jan 05, 2018, 09:39 AM »