Author Topic: OOT: audio cassette to MP3/CD transfer  (Read 259 times)

Die Sehnsucht

OOT: audio cassette to MP3/CD transfer
« on: Sun, Nov 12, 2017, 16:38 PM »
Ignorant question, but I wonder if any of you knowledgeable Hubbers could offer some advice.
Iíve managed to acquire a pretty rare cassette box set (only format ever available), but I no longer have a tape player and, as much as Iím dying to listen to these, I donít really want to get one.

Would you be able to recommend a reasonably priced, decent converter? I see that there are many cheap ones on the market, but they might be useless. Or perhaps I should use a local professional service?

Thanks in advance.

Cameleon

Re: OOT: audio cassette to MP3/CD transfer
« Reply #1 on: Sun, Nov 12, 2017, 19:42 PM »
Audacity is freely available online and does the job perfectly (assuming that you can plug a decent cassette player in to your sound card)

19 Oatcake

« Reply #2 on: Mon, Nov 13, 2017, 10:11 AM »
I have an old Plus Deck lying around somewhere that you're welcome to if you want it.

https://www.frequencycast.co.uk/plusdeck.html

Die Sehnsucht

« Reply #3 on: Mon, Nov 13, 2017, 19:18 PM »
Audacity is freely available online and does the job perfectly (assuming that you can plug a decent cassette player in to your sound card)

Thank you, Camelon. I did look into Audacity, but as you say, Iíd need a decent cassette player, and unfortunately what I have is very far from decent...

Die Sehnsucht

« Reply #4 on: Mon, Nov 13, 2017, 19:20 PM »
I have an old Plus Deck lying around somewhere that you're welcome to if you want it.

https://www.frequencycast.co.uk/plusdeck.html

Oooh, thank you very much! Your kind offer is very tempting. Can you please PM me if you find it? Thank you   :)

19 Oatcake

« Reply #5 on: Tue, Nov 14, 2017, 09:11 AM »
I had a look last night and it's still fitted in the cd drive of an old Linux machine I have. PM me your address and it's yours.