Author Topic: KC Gig Of The Year  (Read 738 times)

czefski

KC Gig Of The Year
« on: Sun, Dec 24, 2017, 10:16 AM »
With the Astronaut tour, 47(?) gigs in the ENH, Summer Isles, Yalkae Deuks, European Tour & Neepso, I reckon we have seen KC around 40 times this year.

Yesterday afternoon and last night were amazing; the gig on Tamera really special; Barcelona a great experience, however my gig of the year is Saturday night at Neepso. A full band with unexpected arrival of Hannah & Sorren, starting with Ankle Shackles which I thought Iíd never hear live again, followed by a slew of KC classics including the rarely played Saw Circular Prowess & Homerun And A Vow and ending with No-One Had It Better. An amazing night only enhanced by Gummiís cover set that followed. The look of incredulity on Hannahís face as she played along to ĎWeíre Having A Gang-Bangí will live long in the memory.

Thanks to everyone at Fence for a vintage year.

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Marion

Re: KC Gig Of The Year
« Reply #1 on: Sun, Dec 24, 2017, 11:07 AM »
Think I made 40ish - not bad for a newbie.  Donít think I could pick a favourite gig, there were so many to choose from. Ian on the whistle was pant-wettingly hilarious. Tanera Post Office - the best gig venue ever. NEEPSO - Black Lace cover was class. My first gig in Crail was a revelation & then I was hooked. Thanks to all the lovely people who made me so welcome & made this year so much fun

ravedamage

« Reply #2 on: Sun, Dec 24, 2017, 22:02 PM »
My sole KC gig was at the Barbican in January...the pipes on Melin Wynt will live long in the memory.

I did a massive amount of two more gigs this year...Steve Mason's Alive at the Barbican and Tears For Fears at the Royal Albert Hall.

Only waited 35 years to see the Fears, it was great to hear their cover of Pale Shelter finally...

baldpar

« Reply #3 on: Sun, Dec 24, 2017, 22:43 PM »
I made it to 7 KC gigs  this year. All were special in their own way. The Letham Nights village hall gig was excellent and Kenny's version of Wild Mountain Thyme in the ENH one night brought a lump to my throat.

Looking forward to future gigs in  2018, particularly the shows with Hamish Hawk.

Deadyankee

« Reply #4 on: Sun, Dec 24, 2017, 23:02 PM »
Just 3 for me, although thatís 3 more than most years. Cardiff in January with the full band was a great start to what turned out to be a fairly dreadful year for me.  Also on the bright side was the fact that I managed to finally get to Fife for shows number 9 and 18 in the ENH. The highlight was unquestionably the indie divas set. Wish I couldíve got to one of the last 23 shows but it just didnít quite happen. Merry Christmas everyone.

Jackie

« Reply #5 on: Mon, Dec 25, 2017, 00:09 AM »
Not sure how many we have made, Paul a lot more than me but he was serving pints for a lot of them so not sure that counts. Let's say 30.
Up until yesterday I too would have said Neepso but for me it has to be Psalm Clerk 23 still not come down yet, twas outstanding.
Merry Christmas everyone x

Cameleon

« Reply #6 on: Mon, Dec 25, 2017, 07:32 AM »
Happy Christmas to you too Jackie.
I agree.  It has to be Psalm Clerk 23.  I didn't get a chance to write in the book but was amazed at how much energy KC put in to the evening and my best moment was when Kenny was jumping up and down so much, his woolly hat was falling over his eyes!

Lavinia

• Wee woolies
« Reply #7 on: Mon, Dec 25, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Merry Christmas everyone!

Well it's been some year! I have counted and I have seen Kenny play 46 times (James only 45)and that's 2 X 23!  Although Saturday could be counted as 2 as he played two separate gigs and I wouldn't blame him if he used that as one of the 50 but for now I have counted it as one because of the significance of the number. 
What gig was best - I have loved them all - the Safari lounge when he gave us a taster of what was to come with his drone music, Summer Isles in the cafe with the dog visiting and a wasp stopping everything.  The month of December and getting 18/20 and excellent work for my report card better still David and Kenny gave me a recording of what I missed! (now that does make up for not winning a CD for the Klingon impression)  Thanks boys it was a really special gift this morning also Iain arranged with Meic to give us a special signed photo of KC which was lovely.  Number 23 was the highlight for me, the anticipation and just the sheer fun with all the audience participation, great friendships forged which will last forever. I am having to play psalm clerk everyday to try and counteract the post KC Blues, dancing injury is a bit better today will be back in action for the Hogmanay show! 
Enjoy your well earned rest Kenny have a lovely few days off!

gladad

« Reply #8 on: Mon, Dec 25, 2017, 22:27 PM »
A very happy Xmas to ya'all,and a huge thanks to kc and the gang for a remarkable year still ongoing,freewheelin into Feb'. So many magical moments of musical delight,fun,laughter n sheer genius throughout.Psalm clerk revellers-what a great bunch o folk ye are and a thank ye all so much for the good vibes and friendship especially during the 23.xxx
Choosing a best gig not easy,can i have 3?  palm clerk 13,23 and sat''neepso . Loved the evolution of cuckoos/no contest Kwaing. Epic and unforgetable.
Once again joyous yultides n see yez aw Hogmany.

Deegers

« Reply #9 on: Wed, Dec 27, 2017, 22:02 PM »
 >:(
Yep.
It was the epitome.

Forever etched in memory.

K c r u l e s o k w i t h m e.

😘

Deegers

« Reply #10 on: Thu, Dec 28, 2017, 12:30 PM »
Yep.
It was the epitome.

😘

fat fingers, should have been a  ;D not a  >:(

i'll get me goat.

Nico Brad

« Reply #11 on: Fri, Dec 29, 2017, 10:30 AM »
Great to know that of the four shows I managed to attend, one of them was the widely acclaimed NEEPSO saturday, it was a belter for sure.  ;D

funky_nomad

« Reply #12 on: Thu, Jan 04, 2018, 12:48 PM »
Yep.
It was the epitome.

😘

fat fingers, should have been a  ;D not a  >:(

i'll get me goat.
Dinnae get Paranoid, now...

(ps - that was my Gig Of The Year by a country mile.)

hallav

« Reply #13 on: Fri, Jan 05, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Only two KC gigs for me - Birmingham Town Hall and YD. The drones were a genuine highlight and it was lovely/surreal chatting with KC afterwards about Tony Conrad, Pauline Oliveros, Jon Gibson and Rhys Chatham.

In total 40 gigs this year (taking entire festivals deemed single events as per Paula C) - eleven each in Nottingham and Birmingham, the rest scattered around but venues included London, Anstruther, the H&S nightmare that was the Great Masson Cave in Matlock for Shiva Fesharecki/Lee Gamble and level one of the NIA car park in Brum for Grumpy Ludwigs 5th as performed by the Multi-Storey Orchestra.

Lavinia

• Wee woolies
« Reply #14 on: Fri, Jan 12, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Hope to catch up with a few of you at Celtic Connections next week in Glasgow if you haven't got a ticket I think there are still some available. Kenny all those musicians it will be immense cannae wait!