Author Topic: Reading Festival (a reading post)  (Read 1472 times)

czefski

Reading Festival (a reading post)
« on: Sat, Feb 17, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Iíve been on a Bukowski catch-up since Xmas, hadnít read any of his work before. Started with the Post Office then Ham and Rye and just finished Hollywood. H&R brilliant, the others were very good.

Also read The Baltimore Boys by Joel Dicker, also very good.

Next up is The Disaster Artist

Cameleon

Re: Reading Festival (a reading post)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, Feb 17, 2018, 09:02 AM »
Thanks Czefski  Only half way through Darren McGarvey's Poverty Safari at the moment.  Heavier than my usual but it forces me to rethink political viewpoints.  Never considered Bukowski before but sounds just what I will need when I finish this one.

Jackie

« Reply #2 on: Sat, Feb 17, 2018, 09:04 AM »
After The Unexpected Joy Of Being Sober which I would recommend to anyone I started to revisit Terry Pratchett, just finished Mort which is one of my favourites.  I also have the new Margaret Atwood Hagseed lined up.

Nico Brad

« Reply #3 on: Sat, Feb 17, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Iíve been on a Bukowski catch-up since Xmas, hadnít read any of his work before. Started with the Post Office then Ham and Rye and just finished Hollywood. H&R brilliant, the others were very good.

Hello Czefski, If you enjoyed Bukowski it may be worth a look at "Ask the Dust" by John Fante. Bukowski cites Fante as one of his influences and Ask the Dust is just brilliant. Hope all is well with you!

czefski

« Reply #4 on: Sat, Feb 17, 2018, 12:36 PM »

Hello Czefski, If you enjoyed Bukowski it may be worth a look at "Ask the Dust" by John Fante. Bukowski cites Fante as one of his influences and Ask the Dust is just brilliant. Hope all is well with you!

Cheers Nico will definitely check it out.

FilthySwan

« Reply #5 on: Sat, Feb 17, 2018, 20:00 PM »

Funnily enough Iíve been re-reading a lot of Bukowski recently because they are so easy to pick up and plough through. Back on Factotum at the minute. The Pleasures of the Damned collection of poetry is nice to dip your toe in and out of occasionally too.

Nice Fante tip nico I think Iíll check it out too.

klv

« Reply #6 on: Sat, Feb 17, 2018, 23:20 PM »

Cheers Nico will definitely check it out.

You can borrow my copy, if you want? (Although I may need to rake through a few boxes first to find it  ;))

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #7 on: Sun, Feb 18, 2018, 16:49 PM »
The thing about Bukowski which is often stunning, which he says himself in one of his stories, is that when you've reached the absolute bottom, there's always another bottom below that.

nodisco

« Reply #8 on: Sun, Feb 18, 2018, 17:57 PM »
Factotum is absolutely brilliant, and Iíd also recommend Hot Water Music. And if you enjoy Bukowskiís existential honesty, check out Glaswegian Ďbrutalistí James Kelman, especially his early publications - I found them quite Bukowskian and Kafkaesque.

czefski

« Reply #9 on: Sun, Feb 18, 2018, 18:29 PM »
I bought Factotum on my Kindle, turns out I nought the Italian version. Bella, bella

baldpar

« Reply #10 on: Sun, Feb 18, 2018, 19:42 PM »
I've just finished reading The Blue Monday Diaries:In the studio with New Order by Michael Butterworth. It was an interesting read. Moved on to The Biographical Dictionary of Popular Music : The Real A-Z of Rock and Pop by Dylan Jones. Reached the letter C so far.

lolsmit

• Hanx!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, Feb 19, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Took a break from a John Niven fest (Kill Your Friends & The Amateurs) for a not so giant leap to The Last Days of Disco (David F. Ross) and now reading Boff Whalley's (of Chumbawamba) semi-autobiographical book Run Wild, in which he explores and discusses eschewing corporate, mass participation road running events in favour of, you guessed it, running on your own in the wilds.  Only about a third of the way into this one and it's a very good read.

Nico Brad

« Reply #12 on: Thu, Mar 08, 2018, 09:12 AM »
After wallowing in Bukowski, Fante etc for a while it's nice to haul yourself up with a bit of magnificent sillyness: Richard Brautigan's Sombreo Fallout is just such a work!

Chaffinch

« Reply #13 on: Thu, Mar 08, 2018, 16:57 PM »
After wallowing in Bukowski, Fante etc for a while it's nice to haul yourself up with a bit of magnificent sillyness: Richard Brautigan's Sombreo Fallout is just such a work!

I fancy reading that.  I read 'So The Wind Won't Blow it All Away' recently which was brilliant.

Currently flying through the Laidlaw Trilogy by William McIlvanney.

baldpar

« Reply #14 on: Thu, Mar 08, 2018, 23:01 PM »
I've just started reading Memphis 68 The Tragedy of Southern Soul by Stuart Cosgrove. Book 2 of his trilogy. As interesting as the first one so far.