Author Topic: E.N.O.S. June 22nd/23rd/24th 2018  (Read 2114 times)

LynneL

Re: E.N.O.S. June 22nd/23rd/24th 2018
« Reply #15 on: Mon, Jun 25, 2018, 13:08 PM »
No report on yesterday's Fence Sunday Social?

We couldn't make it and am wondering what we missed...

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #16 on: Mon, Jun 25, 2018, 14:12 PM »
likewise,  couldnt make it, but have heard it was a great days journey into night.

Lavinia

• Wee woolies
« Reply #17 on: Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 00:02 AM »
The Sunday was great we had KC, Des, Geeko, and Goggs start off then Lomond arrived and did an excellent set. KC then introduced a young local lad Jake Rodgers and a lass who certainly could belt out a song they did some covers, pity they didn't think to do a cover of one of Kennys songs as that would have linked them in nicely.   The KC band came back on and did some of our requests before we broke and headed to the fish and chip shop to eat our dinners in the sunshine. After the break we had Gummi Bako on top form, then Pip Dylan and Billy did some bluegrass, they harmonised well together singing some of Billy's songs and other covers.  Lomond came back on and did some great Elvis songs followed by Gummi and KC who had us up dancing in the isles.  At one point Kenny was waiting for Goggs and made up a little song all about him, I am sure when he came in he was just more concerned about joining in he didn't realise Kenny was singing about him.  Hiya Godon is still going round in my head.

Thanks Kenny and everyone who contributed to an excellent weekend of fun.  :)

czefski

« Reply #18 on: Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Another highly entertaining and highly innovative weekend from the boys and girls at Fence and the associated creatives.

Friday night saw a somewhat nervous group gather at the Nosebag Café at Cambo, unsure of what lay ahead, some of whom had never attended a ceilidh before. But enough about the band, the crowd themselves were very much looking forward to a night  of heuching and teuching. And what a night it was, great fun from start to finish, all generations joining in, the dancefloor full from start to finish. The band performed ably and KC and Hannah even showed some very nimble footsteps when giving a demo of the Canadian Barn Dance. Some new dances were added to the repertoire, I think one was called the Train Crash, it certainly resembled one. Only one accident that I noticed, a woman taking a header off a radiator, she seemed to be ok though.

With limbs aching from the previous night's exertions and the sun splitting the cassies we made our way to Comielaw Farm for Paisley Peace and the chance to learn some new skills whilst making our ticket for the event. There were 3 workshops, Stained Glass, Knitting and Dynamic Drawing, the pottery class was cancelled due to the artist having an unfortunate dual projectile situation. There was also a major disappointment for the Life Drawing group when it was announced that nude model, Ziggy Campbell, had secured an additional gig at Summerhall and would not be available. Sorren and Hannah proved able, fully-clothed deputies. I opted for knitting as I'd done that once when I was 8 years old and like riding a bike, you never forget. Except it's nothing like riding a bike and it's much harder than I thought it would be, especially when you are long-sighted and forgot to take your reading glasses. The wristband got made though and the reward was a relaxing early evening bar-b-q in the warm East Neuk sun, great work from Judy Drew to get it all organised. The gig itself was in 2 halves. First half was a rendition of GlassD'erpeace, well over an hour of last years ambient symphony with a couple of old favourites blended in and complete with Ziggy's amazing customised Crail telephone exchange, which, despite getting it explained to me, I've still no idea how it makes the sounds it does. Half 2 started with Circle My Demise, I think I've said before that any set that has this in, let alone starts with it, will do for me and continued with the likes of Kirby Grips and Yellow Alert amongst others. A lovely night and a copy of Quintessential Indian in an amazing fused glass cover to listen to on the trip home.

We arrived at the ENH for the first Fence Sunday Social in most people's memory. As is the way with Fence socials the arrangements were fairly fluid. The afternoon line-up consisted of KC, Ziggy, Andy Rogers the joiner's son Jake and his friend Molly, followed by another dash of KC, doing some requests and with promise of possibly seeing Gummi and possibly seeing Pip Dylan after the break. After the break the possibly appearance of Gummi became a relaity and we were treated to a selection of Gummi favourites and a copule of newer songs, including his take on the old school playground classic, Milk, Milk, Lemonade, Round the Corner Chocolate's Made. We were also treated to a Whiff of Annie, which was appreciated by everyone. Pip Dylan and Dave Caufield(?) appeared as The B'Everleys, playing late-50's inspired harmonies, very much in the style of the Everleys, except they didn't appear ot hate each other.  The KC Allstars finished the night starting with For One Night Only before launching into their cover of The Mixer by The Fall. They were then joined by Gummi for Shake It Up, I Don't Wanna Dance, Little Man, Hard To Handle and Nutbush City Limits. After an extensive thank you section to all those involved in ensuring we were entertained over the weekend, the evening ended with the fast version of the refrain from GlassD'Erpeace, which may of may not be called Take Me With You.

Another great weekend, thanks to everyone for keeping us entertained, teaching us new skills, making sure we were fed etc.

No Sleep Till Neepso.

LynneL

« Reply #19 on: Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 14:03 PM »
Thanks Czefski and Lavinia for the write-ups. It sounds like a great (and packed) weekend. Sorry we couldn't make it.

And KC looking very dapper indeed in his tartan trews :)

Jackie

« Reply #20 on: Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 18:32 PM »
Great review Czefski - not sure I have recovered from Train Crash, you were wise to sit that one out!  I have no idea how we all got out of there alive and in once piece.

As a result of Saturday i am determined to knit myself a jumper this winter. 

Massive thanks to all involved, it was a lovely week-end.

scout

« Reply #21 on: Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 22:27 PM »
So, I wonder... is the Crailidh band available to book for weddings?

stephen

« Reply #22 on: Wed, Jun 27, 2018, 09:13 AM »

I think most of them are single, aye.

kwaing

« Reply #23 on: Wed, Jun 27, 2018, 14:57 PM »

Sorry Scout - it was the stress of playing at weddings that brought about the demise of ‘Sergeant White & The Gay Gordons’ back in the early days of the new millenium.

scout

« Reply #24 on: Wed, Jun 27, 2018, 15:40 PM »
Sorry Scout - it was the stress of playing at weddings that brought about the demise of ‘Sergeant White & The Gay Gordons’ back in the early days of the new millenium.

I can well imagine.

Currently having to trawl through myriad sites for people who describe themselves as some variation of "Scotland's best wedding/party band/dj" and weeping. I should start another thread, but if anyone has any (read: ANY) recommendations in/near Glasgow and the surrounding area, I'd be very grateful.

czefski

« Reply #25 on: Wed, Jun 27, 2018, 18:28 PM »

I can well imagine.

Currently having to trawl through myriad sites for people who describe themselves as some variation of "Scotland's best wedding/party band/dj" and weeping. I should start another thread, but if anyone has any (read: ANY) recommendations in/near Glasgow and the surrounding area, I'd be very grateful.

Go with a DJ and choose the records

scout

« Reply #26 on: Thu, Jun 28, 2018, 12:52 PM »

Yep - I think we're going to go down the DJ route rather than a band, and ideally hoping to find someone who would instinctively know what to play, or more importantly what not to play.

If I can do that without having to exhaustively list everything, that would be great too. Fun fun.

czefski

« Reply #27 on: Thu, Jun 28, 2018, 14:46 PM »

Yep - I think we're going to go down the DJ route rather than a band, and ideally hoping to find someone who would instinctively know what to play, or more importantly what not to play.

If I can do that without having to exhaustively list everything, that would be great too. Fun fun.

At our wedding, 1994,  I made out an extensive playlist & playing order, provided all the cds to the DJ on the night only to be told that he didn't use a CD player, he still used vinyl and we were subjected to his bog standard wedding playlist all night.