Author Topic: The Alphabet Runs Right From A - Z  (Read 317 times)

funky_nomad

Re: The Alphabet Runs Right From A - Z
« Reply #15 on: Wed, Dec 05, 2018, 10:17 AM »
The compiler is quite clearly a deviant - I mean, who of sane mind alphabetises musical artists using first names?

Burn him/her!!!

Congo Bongo

« Reply #16 on: Wed, Dec 05, 2018, 10:36 AM »
Would you believe me if I said it was me that did the mix? Looks very familiar. I can't remember why I didn't reveal myself at the time.

Yes, I believe you! A belated thanks for your enjoyable mix. This was my review at the time. (Why did you miss out Q and do you have a Q now?))

I've been giving The Alphabet Runs Right From A-Z a few spins, so here's the review.

1)  With it's Velvet Underground influenced, jingle jangle sound and sweet vocals, this is Aberfeldy - Heliopolis By Night. Great opener.

2)  More jingle jangle with a sweet female vocalist. This is nice and I haven't a clue.

3) Cornershop - Good To Be On The Road Back Home Again. Hadn't heard this in a long time. Fine performance.

4) Dexys Midnight Runners, don't know the song. I only got into Dexys recently, courtesy of fellow hubber Bootsfordancing. I didn't know how good Kevin Rowlands was. He puts all his heart into every song.

5) The Ethiopians - Train To Skaville. Love those horns.

6) From the title I sussed out it was Frank Turner - Wessex Boy. I don't know anything about him. This has a nice live feel and sounds like the kind of thing Billy Bragg might do.

7) Would this be a British band with an American sound? Nice and I haven't a clue.

8) Harry J Allstars - Liquidator. Classic ska instrumental.

9) The Isley Brothers - It's Your Thing. Classic funk from a very talented band.

10) I sussed out it was Japan - Don't Rain On My Parade. Tongue in cheek but not really my thing.

11) Kris Kristofferson - Me And Bobby McGee. Classic song from the guy that wrote it. My favourite  cover is The Grateful Dead's  live version.

12) Staying in the singer / songwriter country rock vein. I feel I should know this but I don't.

13) More of that poppy jingle jangle sound. Scottish indie band? Feel I should know this. It's good.

14) Atmospheric production. No clue.

15) Big bright production here. I like this a lot. The voices sound familiar but I can't place it. Angus and Julia Stone?

16) Pogues. Never really been a Pogues / Shane MacGowan fan. A bit bawdy and irreverent for my taste. (maybe it's my sheltered upbringing  :))

17) This is lovely. Scottish singer / songwriter who's voice sounds familiar but I can't place it.

18) Nice slice of country rock. No clue.

19) Classic Scottish indie pop sound. Should know but I don't!

20) The Undertones - My Perfect Cousin. Fun.

21) No clue and a bit weird for me.

22) The Waterboys. A band I'm not too familiar with.

23) X-Press 2 - Lazy. I like David Byrne's vocals but it's a wee bit smooth for me.

24) Yazoo - Don't Go. Not really my groove. More of a club / dancing sound.(but the girl sure can sing)

25) A beautiful song to finish with. Is it another Scottish singer / songwriter?

Really enjoyed most of the two discs. Some great songs I could happily live with. Thanks for putting it together and I look forward to finding out what a lot of these songs are and also discovering who compiled this  8)

czefski

« Reply #17 on: Wed, Dec 05, 2018, 11:19 AM »
The compiler is quite clearly a deviant - I mean, who of sane mind alphabetises musical artists using first names?

Burn him/her!!!

Funnily enough, I was pretty sure it was Rachel Sermanni but decided it couldn't be as she is an 'S'

baldpar

« Reply #18 on: Wed, Dec 05, 2018, 15:04 PM »

Burn him/her!!!

A deviant with very little imagination and nothing in his music collection under the letter Q  :)

funky_nomad

« Reply #19 on: Wed, Dec 05, 2018, 17:39 PM »

Burn him/her!!!

A deviant with very little imagination and nothing in his music collection under the letter Q  :)
Not even any Quo, Status? A likely story...

czefski

« Reply #20 on: Wed, Dec 05, 2018, 18:38 PM »
Seven Seas of Rhye. Sorted.

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #21 on: Wed, Dec 05, 2018, 18:57 PM »

Funnily enough, I was pretty sure it was Rachel Sermanni but decided it couldn't be as she is an 'S'

that's your zero-alcohol related dyslexia kicking in.  Time to go back to the real deal!

peelie

« Reply #22 on: Thu, Dec 06, 2018, 00:38 AM »
Bloody hell Baldpar is the only hubster I've met and he alphabetises by first name ! I hate to think what the rest of you get up to .

baldpar

« Reply #23 on: Thu, Dec 06, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Maybe we should start a new thread. How do you file your music? I file chronologically within each artist.