Author Topic: Sad News  (Read 209 times)

Cameleon

Sad News
« on: Thu, Dec 06, 2018, 22:06 PM »
Pete Shelley  Rest in Peace
Just heard the news.
A sad day

Nico Brad

Re: Sad News
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Dec 07, 2018, 09:12 AM »
 Love You More/ Noise Annoys was among the first singles I ever bought. Sad day indeed. Goodnight Pete Shelley.

Cameleon

« Reply #2 on: Fri, Dec 07, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Spiral Scratch kicked off the whole thing for me.  It was a genesis for Manchester as a fantastic musical breeding ground.

Nico Brad

« Reply #3 on: Fri, Dec 07, 2018, 09:37 AM »
I remember first hearing Spiral Scratch, but I couldn't buy it as it was still only available on the original pressings which cost a packet, that's how I came to get Love you More/Noise Annoys.

Nico Brad

« Reply #4 on: Fri, Dec 07, 2018, 10:06 AM »
And yes Chameleon, you are totally right the impact of Spiral Scratch on the Manchester music scene and the independent scene as a whole is unquestionable. Goodnight Pete Shelley!

Cameleon

« Reply #5 on: Fri, Dec 07, 2018, 12:00 PM »
6 Music just played the theme he wrote for the Tour de France programmes on Ch 4.
Lots of tributes.  Well deserved.  Anyone else got any favourite tracks.  Orgasm Addict anyone?

czefski

« Reply #6 on: Fri, Dec 07, 2018, 13:23 PM »
Coincidentally, last Friday afternoon I played Another Music, Love Bites & A Different Kind of Tension back to back to back. All three stand the test of time.

First saw them supported by Joy Division at the Capitol in Aberdeen in 79, last saw them at the Lemon Tree a few years back. Another pillar of my youth gone.

Jackie

« Reply #7 on: Fri, Dec 07, 2018, 15:23 PM »
Ever Fallen In Love with Someone
Saw them in Leicester at the Summer Sundae Festival some years ago, they were great.

Nico Brad

« Reply #8 on: Fri, Dec 07, 2018, 16:27 PM »
Coincidentally, last Friday afternoon I played Another Music, Love Bites & A Different Kind of Tension back to back to back. All three stand the test of time.

First saw them supported by Joy Division at the Capitol in Aberdeen in 79, last saw them at the Lemon Tree a few years back. Another pillar of my youth gone.
I saw them a few times but after Devoto had split.
The 79 tour was the one everyone wishes they'd seen, must've been brilliant eh Czefski?

czefski

« Reply #9 on: Fri, Dec 07, 2018, 16:33 PM »

I saw them a few times but after Devoto had split.
The 79 tour was the one everyone wishes they'd seen, must've been brilliant eh Czefski?

It was a classic Nico, me and my mates were huge JD fans so were right down the front for them, barely anyone around us, there were brilliant. The Buzzcocks were great, given what a hard act to follow JD were. There were rumours about Shelley's sexuality floating around at the time and he was in a very playful mood, milking it.

Only two bands I never saw live that I really regret are Magazine and the Talking Heads.

stephen

« Reply #10 on: Fri, Dec 07, 2018, 21:18 PM »
Yeah sad, Why Can't I Touch It is a song close to my heart for several reasons.