Author Topic: Songsmithery for Dummies™  (Read 7196 times)

geebee

Songsmithery for Dummies™
« on: Thu, Jun 06, 2013, 22:13 PM »
RHYMING COUPLETS

If you have two lines that end with rhyming words or phrases, try putting the least obvious or the more unusual of the two rhymes in the second line.

kwaing

Re: Songsmithery for Dummies™
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Jun 06, 2013, 23:00 PM »
i started a record at An Tobar in Tobermory, Mull, taking only one song needing a chorus and a few chords strung together. that was on May 18th.
on May 25th i left An Tobar with 8 songs recorded, one of them by Beam.

the method ...

1. strum random chord progressions into a microphone when asked
2. ask engineer to add double bass
3. ask Rich Young to add some piano, or do it thyself
4. add drums using one's broken ankle to hit the bass drum pedal
5. ask Beam to sing one of her own songs, or improvise some lyrics
6. whilst engineer is fixing 4., tinkering with 2. or adding effects to 3. or comping 5., grab a pen and paper and rant about one's problems in life
7. over the course of four vocal takes try and "settle" on the melody for the unfinished lyric
8. go eat in the Westering Isles Hotel and "mull" or "chew over" one's earlier efforts

geebee

« Reply #2 on: Mon, Jun 10, 2013, 13:30 PM »
Trouble with barre F?

Ignore the two bass strings and just hold down the two high strings with your first finger, and the other two notes with the same fingers as the fret number. Only play the top 4 strings. The tab would be something like this I think:

Jackie

« Reply #3 on: Mon, Jun 10, 2013, 20:11 PM »
Thanks geebee I'll try that - bloody 'f'!

Jah

« Reply #4 on: Wed, Jun 12, 2013, 09:35 AM »
1    0    3
1    1    0
2    1    0
3    3    0
0    0    2
0    0    3

Strummed correctly (you can figure that yourself) this gives a simple intro to a smiths classic. Think they had a capo on the fifth fret though. A nice chord progression ripe for a little steal.
Capos are my top tip. Buy a capo and never be alone again. Or.

geebee

« Reply #5 on: Wed, Jun 12, 2013, 14:00 PM »
I'm with you there. Capos are an essential part of a guitarist's toolbox  ;D

Guitars are funny things. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about keys and that, but some songs just don't feel right on guitar when played in some keys or in the standard position. Once you've found a key that you can sing in *ahem* it's worth experimenting with different positions with a capo to see which chords (when adjusted for the capo) sound best for the song.

It's also a sneaky way to avoid having to play an F if you really canna master it. eg Playing a D-shaped chord with capo on fret 3 is an F.

Dubster

« Reply #6 on: Wed, Jun 12, 2013, 15:33 PM »
I have a lovely capo

(and no, Czefski, that is not a euphemism!)

Dubster

« Reply #7 on: Wed, Jun 12, 2013, 17:13 PM »
Trouble with barre F?

Ignore the two bass strings and just hold down the two high strings with your first finger, and the other two notes with the same fingers as the fret number. Only play the top 4 strings. The tab would be something like this I think:

see, I cant do that because my index finger wont hold down the two strings on the first fret, its not fat enough.  I find it easier to bar F

geebee

« Reply #8 on: Wed, Jun 12, 2013, 17:42 PM »
Trouble with barre F?

see, I cant do that because my index finger wont hold down the two strings on the first fret, its not fat enough.  I find it easier to bar F

Well if you can already play bar F then great!  ;D

ps It's not about fat fingers. With my cheaty method the first finger just does a mini-barre across the top two strings by lying along the plane of the fretboard with the fingertip. The other two fingers are more perpendicular.

Dubster

« Reply #9 on: Wed, Jun 12, 2013, 19:44 PM »
Trouble with barre F?

Well if you can already play bar F then great!  ;D

I can DO a bar F but I find it really hard to do a quick change to it from other chords!  I guess its just a case of practice, practice, practice.... :(

kwaing

« Reply #10 on: Fri, Jun 14, 2013, 11:40 AM »
nonsense - adopt a bad posture with the guitar, get that thumb right over the top of the neck fretting the E and A string, leave the high E ringing loud and proud over any and all F shapes

mossbridge

« Reply #11 on: Fri, Jun 14, 2013, 12:49 PM »
nonsense - adopt a bad posture with the guitar, get that thumb right over the top of the neck fretting the E and A string, leave the high E ringing loud and proud over any and all F shapes

You are Alex Chilton and i demand my five groats

Dubster

« Reply #12 on: Fri, Jun 14, 2013, 23:21 PM »
you clearly have a long thumb - mine simply wont reach over the neck - i cant even get it to mute E when i'm playing a  C chord....

r.a.

« Reply #13 on: Sat, Jun 15, 2013, 15:52 PM »
I thought recently I'd try actually writing some songs for the first time in my life.
Possibly like go out and play them to people 'n that.
You never know your luck.

It turns out if you buy a Beatles songbook and rip it off wholesale they all come out brilliantly.
It's all in the hi-hat arrangements.

Jah

« Reply #14 on: Sat, Jun 15, 2013, 18:26 PM »
Here here