Author Topic: The Mixtie-Maxtie Club Revue  (Read 1677 times)

funky_nomad

Re: The Mixtie-Maxtie Club Revue
« Reply #15 on: Tue, Jan 15, 2019, 11:04 AM »
1994 - Suds & Soda - Deus dEUS
FTFY...   ;)

Cameleon

« Reply #16 on: Tue, Jan 15, 2019, 11:45 AM »
How could I not have recognised The Wonder Stuff, Teenage Fanclub and Pop Will Eat Itself.  Doh! and apologies to the Furious Five.  A fabulous mix Paul.  I didn't get around to working out the theme but it all makes sense now.  That Deus track is fantastic and your love of early indie/post punk influences shines through.  I'm not sure but I think I might have seen The Redskins at a gig in Camden with 999.  I was never a skinhead and the Oi! movement put me off similar gigs afterwards.  Great track though plus other bands that I will research more thanks to you.

You've caught some wonderful gigs that I missed.

This should probably be the subject of a seperate post but what were your first set of gigs that set you off on such a wonderful journey?

czefski

« Reply #17 on: Tue, Jan 15, 2019, 18:37 PM »
1994 - Suds & Soda - Deus dEUS
FTFY...   ;)

Auto- correct has no knowledge of Belgian indie bands

ayjayemm

« Reply #18 on: Tue, Jan 15, 2019, 19:00 PM »
Nice to see a track from the oft-overlooked 'Knife' get an airing. I love that album. And the Power Of Dreams! Blimey, that takes me back!

Chaffinch

« Reply #19 on: Wed, Jan 16, 2019, 15:08 PM »
Congo Bongo - many thanks for your mix CD.  I've listened to it quite a few times now - lots of music I wouldn't normally listen to but I got really into it and a lot of tracks I wasn't familiar with.

Track 1 - This is very hard to describe but it sounds like a combination of M Ward and Leonard Cohen.  Good start.

Track 2 - Solo guitar with ?African singing and talking.  The guitar on this is class.

Track 3 - Ty Segall?   I bought his Manipulator album a while back after reading a lot about him as he sounded right up my street but was a little disappointed (prefer Mikal Cronin's stuff) This track is pretty good though.

Track 4 - Really beautiful track this.  The guitar playing is fantastic.  Has a Local Hero vibe about it and then an HMS Ginafore-type vocal comes in. This was my favourite track and dying to know who it's by.

Track 5 - Bill Fay with Big Painter.  I have Life Is People and two albums he made in the 70's.  Some really good songs, some not so good.  This is one of the good ones.  Similar to Robert Wyatt I think.

Track 6 - Selassie Is The Chapel.  Not sure who this version is by and thought it maybe went on a bit too long.  Much prefer reggae when it's upbeat.

Track 7 - Don't recognise this one but keen to know who it's by.  Like it a lot - could be something Sarah Records released or early-Creation?

Track 8 - Didn't like this much at first but have kept going back to it and it grew on me.  Has a Midlake feel to it.

Track 9 - Is this style of music called fusion?  This didn't do anything for me and the female vocalist was a little grating.

Track 10 - Is this Nico or Cate Le Bon?  Again, wasn't fussed about this on first listen but it's another cracking track.

Track 11 - An odd mix of reggae and World Music that works.  Fantastic vocal.

Track 12 - Rod Stewart...  :-)   This was ok - the steel drums keep putting me off it.

Track 13 - Beefheart?  Don't know this one but it's fun.  Don't think he ever bettered the Clear Spot album.

Track 14 - Like a cross between Billy Bragg and Nick Drake.  And it works. 

Track 15 - Southern drawl over a Santana-esque tune.  Could have done without this one.  Not for me.

Track 16 - Kurt Vile maybe?  Another really really good song.

Track 17 - Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails.  Haven't heard this for about 15 years.  Good closer.

Thanks again, really enjoyed it and will go back to it again.  Look forward to the reveal.

Congo Bongo

« Reply #20 on: Wed, Jan 16, 2019, 18:58 PM »
Hi Chaffinch, glad you got some joy from the mix. Here's the reveal.

1) Howe Gelb - Vortexas.
The Giant Sand man duets on this with Bonnie "Prince" Billy, which suits his off-beat take on Americana.

2) Lobi Traore - Hine.
Acoustic minimalist blues from Mali. The album, "Rainy Season Blues" was recorded in a single session, one continuous take. When he hits a lick you really feel it.

3) Ty Segall - Slowboat.
I haven't heard that much of him but I like this cover of this Sparks song.

4) Lindsey Moore - I Start Counting.
A sublime,gentle piece of psychedelia from the soundtrack to the 1969 movie of the name name. This is the hitherto unreleased demo version. As far as I know it was the only song she ever recorded and I don't know who is playing the guitar. And like yourself, I'd love to find out.

5) Bill Fay - Big Painter.
A friend recommended him and I've loved his latest albums. Never heard any of his early stuff.

6) Ras Michael - Selassie Is The Chapel.
Most of his reggae is more upbeat, but I thought this one fitted into the mix.

7) The Chills - Kaleidoscope World.
A mid 80's single from the New Zealand indie outfit.

8) Hiss Golden Messenger - O Nathaniel.
I find their music does take a few listens before delivering.

9) Dub Colossus - Tizita Dub.
I think it is fusion (con-fusion  :)) Reggae meets Ethiopian traditional singing but with an electro-techno production. 

10) Bridget St John - Happy Day.
She was highly regarded by John Peel. Blessed with a beautiful voice. From around 1972.

11) Tiken Jah Fakoly - Slavery Days.
A bit of roots from the Ivory Coast with his cover of a Burning Spear song.

12) Rod Stewart - Mine For Me
I'd been revisiting Rod Stewart early albums and I'd forgotten how good some of it was.

13) Captain Beefheart - Harry Irene.
I've always liked this simple, sweet song, so unlike anything he has ever done before. I'd agree with your take on the Clear Spot album, with it's great production.

14) Hawkwind - We Took The Wrong Step Years Ago.
I'm not a Hawkwind fan (I don't think that's allowed on the Hub  8)), but they did an acoustic / orchestral reworking of some of their songs on their latest album and some of it is pretty good.

15) Conspiracy Music Guru - Don't Let Them Take Your Mind.
Not everyone's cup of tea musically but if the cap fits, wear it  :o I find his lyrics quite refreshing.

16) Kurt Vile - One Trick Ponies.
A great track from his strongest album yet, "Bottle It In." I noticed Pobl had it as one of his top 10 albums of the year. But I  believe the best is yet to come from him.

17) Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails.
A club I used to go to in Amsterdam, the Melkweg, always played this to finish off the evenings entertainment. It kinda stuck with me as a nice closer.

Hope that joins some of the dots for you, Chaffinch. it was a pleasure making the mix for you.

ravedamage

« Reply #21 on: Wed, Jan 16, 2019, 21:52 PM »

A sublime,gentle piece of psychedelia from the soundtrack to the 1969 movie of the name name. This is the hitherto unreleased demo version. As far as I know it was the only song she ever recorded and I don't know who is playing the guitar. And like yourself, I'd love to find out.

I know this from a compilation on Trunk Records, "Fuzzy Felt Folk".
Never heard the soundtrack to "I Start Counting" (also on Trunk), by Basil Kirchin though.

Jonny Trunks' sleevenotes mention Derek Bailey as 'probably' having played on the LP...dunno if this is any help to yous...

https://www.discogs.com/Basil-Kirchin-I-Start-Counting/release/11576944

Chaffinch

« Reply #22 on: Thu, Jan 17, 2019, 18:11 PM »
Hi Chaffinch, glad you got some joy from the mix. Here's the reveal.

1) Howe Gelb - Vortexas.
The Giant Sand man duets on this with Bonnie "Prince" Billy, which suits his off-beat take on Americana.

2) Lobi Traore - Hine.
Acoustic minimalist blues from Mali. The album, "Rainy Season Blues" was recorded in a single session, one continuous take. When he hits a lick you really feel it.

3) Ty Segall - Slowboat.
I haven't heard that much of him but I like this cover of this Sparks song.

5) Bill Fay - Big Painter.
A friend recommended him and I've loved his latest albums. Never heard any of his early stuff.

6) Ras Michael - Selassie Is The Chapel.
Most of his reggae is more upbeat, but I thought this one fitted into the mix.

7) The Chills - Kaleidoscope World.
A mid 80's single from the New Zealand indie outfit.

8) Hiss Golden Messenger - O Nathaniel.
I find their music does take a few listens before delivering.

9) Dub Colossus - Tizita Dub.
I think it is fusion (con-fusion  :)) Reggae meets Ethiopian traditional singing but with an electro-techno production. 

10) Bridget St John - Happy Day.
She was highly regarded by John Peel. Blessed with a beautiful voice. From around 1972.

11) Tiken Jah Fakoly - Slavery Days.
A bit of roots from the Ivory Coast with his cover of a Burning Spear song.

12) Rod Stewart - Mine For Me
I'd been revisiting Rod Stewart early albums and I'd forgotten how good some of it was.

13) Captain Beefheart - Harry Irene.
I've always liked this simple, sweet song, so unlike anything he has ever done before. I'd agree with your take on the Clear Spot album, with it's great production.

14) Hawkwind - We Took The Wrong Step Years Ago.
I'm not a Hawkwind fan (I don't think that's allowed on the Hub  8)), but they did an acoustic / orchestral reworking of some of their songs on their latest album and some of it is pretty good.

15) Conspiracy Music Guru - Don't Let Them Take Your Mind.
Not everyone's cup of tea musically but if the cap fits, wear it  :o I find his lyrics quite refreshing.

16) Kurt Vile - One Trick Ponies.
A great track from his strongest album yet, "Bottle It In." I noticed Pobl had it as one of his top 10 albums of the year. But I  believe the best is yet to come from him.

17) Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails.
A club I used to go to in Amsterdam, the Melkweg, always played this to finish off the evenings entertainment. It kinda stuck with me as a nice closer.

Hope that joins some of the dots for you, Chaffinch. it was a pleasure making the mix for you.

Thanks Congo Bongo - lots there to investigate further. 

(Ravedamage - cheers for the heads up on Basil Kirchin) 

stephen

« Reply #23 on: Sun, Jan 27, 2019, 07:21 AM »
Cd recieved cheers

fuctifano

« Reply #24 on: Sun, Jan 27, 2019, 21:21 PM »
Hello,
Thank you secret mystery mixer for the cd. A very interesting and enjoyable mix, recorded as one track, with some nice transitions between songs. I’m not sure if this was by chance but I suspect a bit of thought went into. Which is appreciated. So…..

Off to a perfect start!

I received the cd in Saturday’s post and played it straight away. This is a perfect Saturday morning song. Bouncy electro groove. Lovely female vocals. German? Uptempo but dreamy at the same time. I like that it’s not too in yer face – happy but subtle. The piano flourishes are a nice touch against the electronic feel. All round just a great song.

A change of pace and mood?

I thought this was the guy who made that Orkney album – Magnetic North? But then I thought it was someone once connected to Fence but now I think it’s someone more ’famous’. It’s brooding electronic atmospheric pop with pleading vocals. Very well done the way it builds and fades back. Gets better with repeated listens.

Hidden human emotion.

This one starts like a home made band playing a straightforward folk pop song but it’s not that straight forward! This is another that gets better with each listen – and it was enjoyable on first listen! I like how it starts as one thing but finishes as another – both very interesting in their own way. The almost tub thumping pop at the start gives way to a more dramatic and intricate song altogether – very clever. I liked this a lot. Hope the girl who sings it is ok. She is certainly human.

A delicate grower.

This is really nice. I wasn’t sure at first but it’s good. Gentle guitar picking and melodic harmonies- with nice accompanying background vibes. Reminds me of a song I received on another mix – Akron Family? Listening again I’m not sure why I wasn’t keen at first. This is lovely. Nice listening.

Harry’s trick?

There’s a few bars of music here which could be part of the last song or the intro Harry’s game?

Dark, delicious grooves

More brooding electro – this time with female vocals. It’s probably someone I’ll know. I can’t think of much to say about this which sounds like I didn’t like it. Which is funny because I really like it. It’s just a good song well done. Dark but delicious.

Dramatic Piano!

The way this starts fits well with the vibe of the previous song.  A beautiful sustained piano melody is set against other rapidly played piano notes. The affect is at times unsettling and at other times very soothing. It’s a strange wee listen but I like that it’s neither one thing or the other. Or rather – it’s both things together. Overall, I wonder if there is a theme of contrasting styles on the mix. But maybe more of that later.

It’s always time for Digital Reggae!!!

This is like tuning the radio from Classic FM to K-Jah West! I’ve always liked a bit of digital reggae – who doesn’t?! – and this is as good as it comes! No idea who it is though. It even has a dubby outro with some excellent rapping. Great fun!

Beautiful Oddity

I love this! Starts of as what might be a bluesy feeling gentle tune but—there’s some eastern vibes, flutes, space echoes, bells & whistles added as we go along. All with that gentle lazy bass behind it. It’s great how even after a few listens we’re not sure where it’s going next! Absolutely great listen!

From Dream to Nightmare.

Did we mention contrast? This was used in a lot of adverts but I’ve never heard it used to such devastating effect outside the film (Requiem for a Dream)  The piece of music before was beautiful and seemingly carefree, whereas this is cutting and precise. What a mix! I’m not sure I enjoyed this – but in a good way!

Bring it on back home…

Another great contrast and I’m glad of it! From sharp strings and creeping, menacing atmospherics to good old wholesome Americana. Guitar, Bass, Drums and harmonies. Lovely. The last three songs have been something of an emotional and musical rollercoster but this is just simply great – and great because of it’s simplicity! I’m sure it’s someone we will all know but I’m happy just to listen and tap my feet along for now.  Great.

Do you have to go?...

This is a bittersweet wee piece of music. Sad long notes on strings but the two repeated high notes give it an otherworldly sci-fi feel.

This has been a really interesting and enjoyable listen. Music sometimes contrasting and sometimes complimenting the song before but always engaging. Most of the songs I don’t know so looking forward to finding out more. It was a short mix – maybe just 11 songs – but it certainly packed a lot in and there was nothing I didn’t enjoy. A great listen – thank you!   ;D

ravedamage

« Reply #25 on: Tue, Jan 29, 2019, 00:07 AM »
Got my mix back in early/mid-December, sorry for taking so long to review. Slight disclaimer in that the main musical genres featured in this mix are ones well outwith my normal listening circle, so apologies for any ignorance of origin or whatever in advance...

00:00 A little bluesy, gospel-ish number to open…the guitar is nice on this, possible enhanced by a lo-fi recording technique …or maybe it’s just a low bit rate MP3?

02:00 Some Tijuana type feeling to this dub track…the vocals are odd but not grating…interesting. Reminded me of Devendra Banhart in bits, which was nice.

03:45 Sounds like a mix beginning here, it goes really well with the previous track…so much so that there’s a minute and a half of actual blending before the next tune kicks off properly. Impressive.

05:20 And there it is, first recognise of the day. It’s Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, with a verison of Allah Hoo(?). Took me back almost 30 years to seeing him perform it on Big World Café back in the late 80s, with Nigel Kennedy going batshit on the violin alongside. Channel 4. I remember being blown away by it, so wish it was available to re-watch online somewhere.

09:30 A sweet little number with some tabla and melancholic strings…not a clue who it might be. Has a slightly sad KC vibe to it, oddly enough. Nice.

14:30 Honestly can’t tell if this is African or Asian in origin…it’s alright, the electric(?) guitar is quite subtle and nifty.

17:40 A lo-fi, bluesy track…”this train don’t carry no liar”. Never been into the blues, this is ok.

20:40 Soulful, funky stuff up next…”we believe…peace begets release”. Nice to see begets in a lyric.

23:00 Funky wah-wah guitar, makes me think of 70s Stevie Wonder ‘Livin For The City’ in places. Wasn't too enamoured of it.

26:10 Another soulful track…really nice. Not a Scooby who though.

28:20 Upbeat African tune, with some organ that reminds me of Inspiral Carpets. One of my favourites on first listen just for that. Sorry.

31:40 This is some 70s disco I think…reminds me of Deniece Williams. Pretty sure this has been sampled for a 90s tune, but it escapes me...

37:00 Another disco track, wasn't really into this wan.

41:10 This is ‘Lose Yourself To Dance’ by Daft Punk & Pharrell…it’s classic DP. Still play the hell out of Homework now and again.

46:25 “You keep coming back just to hurt me more…” I haven’t a Scooby who this is, but I have felt this lyric. #old

49:50 This is a slow, skanky cover of Diana Ross’ ‘Upside Down’…lovely.

52:15 Another skanky cover…’Ain’t No Stopping Us Now’ redone as ‘Can’t Stop Rastaman Now'. Not a fan of the original, so this slightly odd re-version at least makes life better for this guy...Shabba.

56:00 The original (or another cover of) ‘Rock Your Baby’?

58:50 Something mellow and soulful after all that seventies and skanking…would have preferred to keep the tempo up but this is pretty lush. No idea who, but we've all been there aye?

62:30 Sixties Motown feel to this one, it reminded me of ODB’s version of ‘Build Me Up Buttercup’ which is no bad thing.

65:30 Nouvelle Vague ‘Just Can’t Get Enough’…enough said...have two of their LPs, my cheesy whore-self is such a sucker for their lassez-faire 80s schtick.

This was a well thought out mix, which would have probably been enjoyed more exuberantly by someone who didn't listen to melancholic/electronica/pop/noise/scrotch/rock musics 97% of the time...my cross to bear. Having said that, it was a really nice listen and good to stretch the brain-lugs with. I will be buying one or two or three of these tunes if they're not too expensive on the old wax.

Look forward to finding out what i won!

Cheers misteri-myxer!

fuctifano

« Reply #26 on: Mon, Feb 04, 2019, 22:35 PM »
Got my mix back in early/mid-December, sorry for taking so long to review. Slight disclaimer in that the main musical genres featured in this mix are ones well outwith my normal listening circle, so apologies for any ignorance of origin or whatever in advance...

Hi RaveDamage, it was me who subjected you to this happy clappy feast of uplifting spiritual vibeness. Amen sister.
Forgive me Faither, for I hae sinned…this was a mix I’d done ages ago, maybe even for the last mixclub. Terrible of me but time has been different these days. Anyway, I don’t think it ever got reviewed so you ended up with it. The Second Coming. Lol.

00:00 A little bluesy, gospel-ish number to open…the guitar is nice on this, possible enhanced by a lo-fi recording technique …or maybe it’s just a low bit rate MP3?

Yeah, probably. I don’t know how I have this but here it is. According to this media player on this old laptop it’s EL Fields Gospel Wonders Heaven Bound.

02:00 Some Tijuana type feeling to this dub track…the vocals are odd but not grating…interesting. Reminded me of Devendra Banhart in bits, which was nice.

This is another mystery, sort of. It’s named as Sam Carty but it’s a Scratch Perry Black ark thing. The lyrics are Hindi (possibly) and there seems to be some debate about how it came to be. The link below has some theories which are probably as true as anything on the internet. http://snwmf.com/phorum/read.php?1,7356

03:45 Sounds like a mix beginning here, it goes really well with the previous track…so much so that there’s a minute and a half of actual blending before the next tune kicks off properly. Impressive.

Thanks!

05:20 And there it is, first recognise of the day. It’s Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, with a verison of Allah Hoo(?). Took me back almost 30 years to seeing him perform it on Big World Café back in the late 80s, with Nigel Kennedy going batshit on the violin alongside. Channel 4. I remember being blown away by it, so wish it was available to re-watch online somewhere.

I’d would have liked to see that! Yep it’s who you said doing what you said. This version is 15mins long so I’ve tried to mix it with the Lee Perry/Sam Carty track and hopefully it didn’t sound terrible!

09:30 A sweet little number with some tabla and melancholic strings…not a clue who it might be. Has a slightly sad KC vibe to it, oddly enough. Nice.

Amadou & Mariam. Je Pense aToi – which is French for 'KC could do a great version of this'.

14:30 Honestly can’t tell if this is African or Asian in origin…it’s alright, the electric(?) guitar is quite subtle and nifty.

Tinariwen - Imidiwàn n-àkall-in. Aye they can make dem guitars sing and holler. I like the warwhoops in this one best though. Mystical desert electric vibes from Mali.

17:40 A lo-fi, bluesy track…”this train don’t carry no liar”. Never been into the blues, this is ok.

I’ve not been on a train for ages but every time I walk through Waverly station I’m singing this to all the liars, gamblers and hustlers. (in my head)

20:40 Soulful, funky stuff up next…”we believe…peace begets release”. Nice to see begets in a lyric.

Peace begins within. True dat.

23:00 Funky wah-wah guitar, makes me think of 70s Stevie Wonder ‘Livin For The City’ in places. Wasn't too enamoured of it.

Ah well now, I have to stop you there. I think every little thing about this song is perfect. I appreciate not everyone has the same tastes but I’d urge you to have another couple of listens to this. Perfection I tell ye!

26:10 Another soulful track…really nice. Not a Scooby who though.

Maybe overdoing it with the soul/gospel/blues thang on this mix but this guy is amazing. O.V. Wright. You’d probably pick up a greatest hits comp for a few quid but it would be more than worth it. Especially if it has the river song on it.

28:20 Upbeat African tune, with some organ that reminds me of Inspiral Carpets. One of my favourites on first listen just for that. Sorry.

Aye it’s a bit irresistible innit? Hot Casa Records have some great stuff and this guy, Vadou Game, is a good place to start.

31:40 This is some 70s disco I think…reminds me of Deniece Williams. Pretty sure this has been sampled for a 90s tune, but it escapes me...

70s disco from Nigeria. Oby Onyioha. Enjoy your life.

37:00 Another disco track, wasn't really into this wan.

TBH I’ve gone off this a bit as well. It’s ok though. Kiki Gyan from the 24 disco ep thing.

41:10 This is ‘Lose Yourself To Dance’ by Daft Punk & Pharrell…it’s classic DP. Still play the hell out of Homework now and again.

I got a wee bit obsessed with this for a while. Still think it's great now.

46:25 “You keep coming back just to hurt me more…” I haven’t a Scooby who this is, but I have felt this lyric. #old
We have all felt it amigo. These guys are here for you. #nevertooold

49:50 This is a slow, skanky cover of Diana Ross’ ‘Upside Down’…lovely.

Aye, it’s the reggae disco cover section. I keep waiting for someone to tell me this is terrible – it possibly is terrible. But I love it!

52:15 Another skanky cover…’Ain’t No Stopping Us Now’ redone as ‘Can’t Stop Rastaman Now'. Not a fan of the original, so this slightly odd re-version at least makes life better for this guy...Shabba.
Exactly as you say…

56:00 The original (or another cover of) ‘Rock Your Baby’?
This was a re-release from Mukatsuku (?) records a couple of years ago. I fell in love with it.

58:50 Something mellow and soulful after all that seventies and skanking…would have preferred to keep the tempo up but this is pretty lush. No idea who, but we've all been there aye?

This is the slow dance when you’ve pulled at the disco track. Lush, aye.

62:30 Sixties Motown feel to this one, it reminded me of ODB’s version of ‘Build Me Up Buttercup’ which is no bad thing.
I know where you’re coming from. It’s that big singalong motown chorus thing that everyone loves.

65:30 Nouvelle Vague ‘Just Can’t Get Enough’…enough said...have two of their LPs, my cheesy whore-self is such a sucker for their lassez-faire 80s schtick.
It’s hard not to like it, non?!

This was a well thought out mix, which would have probably been enjoyed more exuberantly by someone who didn't listen to melancholic/electronica/pop/noise/scrotch/rock musics 97% of the time...my cross to bear. Having said that, it was a really nice listen and good to stretch the brain-lugs with. I will be buying one or two or three of these tunes if they're not too expensive on the old wax.

I kinda thought you’d not enjoy everything but I thought ‘fuck it’ and sent it anyway. #wildstyle.

Look forward to finding out what i won!

Cheers misteri-myxer!
Always welcome!

1 EL Fields/Gospel Wonders – Heaven Bound
2 Sam Carty (?) – Bird In Hand
3 Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan- Allah Hu…
4 Amadou & Mariam - Je Pense aToi
5 Tinariwen - Imidiwàn n-àkall-in
6 Christian Travellers – This Train
7 Bobby Powell – Peace Begins within
8 Bill Withers – Kissing my Love
9 OV Wright – Ace of Spades
10 Vadou Game – La Vie C’est Bon
11 Oby Onyioha – Enjoy your life
12 Kiki Gyan – Disco Dancer
13 Daft Punk – Lose yourself to Dance
14 100% Pure Poison – You Keep coming Back
15 Carol Cool – Upside down
16 Ras – Can’t stop Rasta Now
17 Anne & Anice Peter – Rock Your Baby
18 Rita Joyce – Dancing Close
19 The Elgins – Heaven Must Have Sent You
20 Nouvelle Vague – Just Can’t Get Enough.

ravedamage

« Reply #27 on: Sun, Feb 17, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Cheers for the reveal Mark.

I'll definitely be picking up that Carol Cool track at some point, there's a decent looking Reggae Disco 3LP comp of covers for cheap on Soul Jazz...win/win!

buddiepaul

« Reply #28 on: Tue, Feb 19, 2019, 18:02 PM »
Firstly apologies for the tardy response, especially in my mix club debut.  (I'll get a review of the one I received up later - it was super, and I had it on again today x3 during my drive to work).

Many thanks to fuctifano for the kind words in your review of my CD.  I put some of my favourite sounds of the moment together so glad you liked it.  It started out with another 6 or so tracks, but I was not happy with the flow, so it ended up shorter than intended, but I was pleased with it.

So here is the reveal of my tracks

Klee – Unverwundbar
I heard this a long time ago and had to source the CD from Germany.  Not my usual think, but the combination of pure electronic disco pop and the German vocals make it something a little different, and something to come back to from time to time. 
Faultline - Where Is My Boy?
The hard electronic edge of this track appealed to me, and the addition of Chris Martin’s vocals, quite plain and low key, really adds to the mood of the track.  There are atmospheric electronic noises throughout, though subtle, blend in well.
Daughter – Human
An alternative and thoughtful track from a band that have made great strides over the last few years.  A nice combination of instruments and sonic elements and a lovely female vocal.
Sufjan Stevens - Should Have Known Better
A track from his brilliant album of a few years ago “Carrie and Lowell” which is a moody and powerful work that shows his emotions over love and loss.
Lamb – Stronger
Introduced to this band back in the 90’s, and the voice of Lou Rhodes is glorious.  The mix of dance inspired beats and vocal mixes throughout their work makes it stand out form the ordinary.
Nils Frahm - Said and Done
A real superstar of the modern classical scene, mixes traditional classical pieces with more modern beats based electronic music. He is wonderful on record and also a real joy to see live.  A must see if you get the chance.
Prince Fatty Versus Mungo's Hi-Fi - Scrub a Dub Style [Prince Fatty Mix]
Something different in the mix, and why not.  A bit of Scottish reggae/dub/dancehall from the soundsystem masters to get you moving.
The Amorphous Androgynous- Go Tell It to the Trees Egghead
You may have heard this from a recent advert on TV, but AA (or The Future Sound of London under a different guise) have been creating completely different sounds for decades now.  This is a dreamy number which includes eastern influences, flute a host of other instruments.
Clint Mansell & Cronos Quartet - Cleaning Apartment
From the singer in Pop Will Eat Itself to a world renowned film score composer, this is a lovely excerpt from his work for the film Requiem for a Dream”, which is a lovely piece to listen to in full, but a nice little segment in its own right.
Gene Clark - From a Silver Phial
A long forgotten country classic from a founding member of the Byrds, who sadly died in 1991, this was unknown to me until the “Gene Clark No Other Band” resurrected this album at the End of the Road Festival a few years ago.  It was outstanding and one of my favourite festival sets of all times.
A Winged Victory For the Sullen - Atomos XII
Finishing off in a classical note, AWVFTS are another favourite of mine, pushing ambient classical music into a modern place.  From a stunning album (Atomos), the two band members are complemented by a 3 piece string section to make a beautiful haunting soundscape.

fuctifano

« Reply #29 on: Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 15:26 PM »
Firstly apologies for the tardy response, especially in my mix club debut.  (I'll get a review of the one I received up later - it was super, and I had it on again today x3 during my drive to work).

Many thanks to fuctifano for the kind words in your review of my CD.  I put some of my favourite sounds of the moment together so glad you liked it.  It started out with another 6 or so tracks, but I was not happy with the flow, so it ended up shorter than intended, but I was pleased with it.

So here is the reveal of my tracks

Klee – Unverwundbar
I heard this a long time ago and had to source the CD from Germany.  Not my usual think, but the combination of pure electronic disco pop and the German vocals make it something a little different, and something to come back to from time to time. 
Faultline - Where Is My Boy?
The hard electronic edge of this track appealed to me, and the addition of Chris Martin’s vocals, quite plain and low key, really adds to the mood of the track.  There are atmospheric electronic noises throughout, though subtle, blend in well.
Daughter – Human
An alternative and thoughtful track from a band that have made great strides over the last few years.  A nice combination of instruments and sonic elements and a lovely female vocal.
Sufjan Stevens - Should Have Known Better
A track from his brilliant album of a few years ago “Carrie and Lowell” which is a moody and powerful work that shows his emotions over love and loss.
Lamb – Stronger
Introduced to this band back in the 90’s, and the voice of Lou Rhodes is glorious.  The mix of dance inspired beats and vocal mixes throughout their work makes it stand out form the ordinary.
Nils Frahm - Said and Done
A real superstar of the modern classical scene, mixes traditional classical pieces with more modern beats based electronic music. He is wonderful on record and also a real joy to see live.  A must see if you get the chance.
Prince Fatty Versus Mungo's Hi-Fi - Scrub a Dub Style [Prince Fatty Mix]
Something different in the mix, and why not.  A bit of Scottish reggae/dub/dancehall from the soundsystem masters to get you moving.
The Amorphous Androgynous- Go Tell It to the Trees Egghead
You may have heard this from a recent advert on TV, but AA (or The Future Sound of London under a different guise) have been creating completely different sounds for decades now.  This is a dreamy number which includes eastern influences, flute a host of other instruments.
Clint Mansell & Cronos Quartet - Cleaning Apartment
From the singer in Pop Will Eat Itself to a world renowned film score composer, this is a lovely excerpt from his work for the film Requiem for a Dream”, which is a lovely piece to listen to in full, but a nice little segment in its own right.
Gene Clark - From a Silver Phial
A long forgotten country classic from a founding member of the Byrds, who sadly died in 1991, this was unknown to me until the “Gene Clark No Other Band” resurrected this album at the End of the Road Festival a few years ago.  It was outstanding and one of my favourite festival sets of all times.
A Winged Victory For the Sullen - Atomos XII
Finishing off in a classical note, AWVFTS are another favourite of mine, pushing ambient classical music into a modern place.  From a stunning album (Atomos), the two band members are complemented by a 3 piece string section to make a beautiful haunting soundscape.

Thanks again BuddieP!

This is still getting regular plays whenever I get a chance.
All the songs stand out on their own but as a mix it's pretty great as well.
I kind of guessed that was the coldplay(?) guy on track 2!
The Daughter/Human song is really great - loving it more everytime I hear it.
Pleased about the Mungo hifi one - always good to hear them!
FSOL - that takes me back! That track truly is mental/great!
And that Klee one is great as well - Enjoy it while we can I suppose #fuckbrexit.

Everybody else ok?