Author Topic: The Mixtie-Maxtie Club Revue  (Read 1676 times)

a.heathen

• Wherever I go so does me go.
Re: The Mixtie-Maxtie Club Revue
« Reply #30 on: Mon, Mar 25, 2019, 09:16 AM »
So I got one and then my CD player broke.
Here goes.

Appears to be themed as demos, and i recognise a lot of acoustic americana. Which is nice.

Track 01   3:40   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX   
That laconic, muttering drawl of a Callahan or a Hinson. Or both. Move on
The problem with having a huge collection of music in all sorts of formats is that I probably have this, listened when it was young and now it's buried. Project for this year is sort music into KEEP/SELL/GIVE piles and hope the first one is smallest.
I like this mix, and this is a good opener.

Track 02   2:59   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX
Again, familiar male alt.country voice, but I cannot guess who. I like that line "feels like metaphorical karaoke".
Probably should know. This one is a bit more polished, reminds me of Every Breath You Take in the instrumental breaks.

Track 03   3:52   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX   
Banjo intro. female vocal harmonies. Really nice.
Reminiscent of The Roches, The Be Good Tanyas or I'm With Her, but it's not them.

Track 04   4:30   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX      
Again, the harmonies at into, but this one is more doowop than doom country.
The lead vocal almost like one of those rock chicks that they have in america, but proving her voice on a song that opens like Oh Donna by Richie Valens.

Track 05   5:52   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX   
Oh I know this guy. And this means I get to mention him in consecutive Hubposts.
Withered Hand fits in among yon americana like a very snug glove. LOLOL.
Also appropriate as I have started watching American Gods S2

Track 06   2:07   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX      
"There's no need to go out dancing sometimes"
Surely.
I had a lot of Brit indie acoustica back in the Eighties, and this is quite likable in that vein.

Track 07   3:38   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX   
Either this is an old standard or a much covered slice of americana pie. I certainly know of three or four people who've done it. This is the closest to a folk singalong version. So might be the original. But most of the songs so far sound new, so probably just someone being eternally grateful to their past influences.

Track 08   3:36   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX      
Stripped down again, Feisty strumming almost redolent of that trite ukulele phase we had to tolerate.
This is like First Aid Kit without so many sisters singing.
"explode from your windows expand from this town" right on.

Track 09   3:48   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX      
JUDAS not Priest, but cursed electrickery on this song.
Only joking, it's not Dylan. Very nice poppy stylings.
Blowing bubbles under water in the bath :-)
Male vocal travelling band style. Old school anti-folk I reckon.

Track 10   4:24   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX      
Live session, The Kiss, Judee Sill. That's right, i cheated. You made me go and out and find some more of her music.
Nothing beats that first time you hear a song at a gig, but on the mix will do as a surrogate.

Track 11   2:54   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX      
Oh. This is different. Feels like Daisy Age style hippity hop, but really that older sound they tapped into.
Waiting for a better day indeed.

Track 12   4:55   uknow   Fence mixclub MMXIX      
Another trippy hoppy sound. This time with people doing that talking thing that the young folks like. It's the modern folk sound !
Interesting transition at the end here, from all that acoustica to the smooth sounding vibes.

There's not a duff track on here, and several I will want to hear more from.
As well as those I will kick myself for not knowing.

a.heathen

« Reply #31 on: Mon, Mar 25, 2019, 09:17 AM »
PS Thanks anonymous mixer.
Perhaps I will great you at Easter and thank you in kind.

stephen

« Reply #32 on: Mon, Mar 25, 2019, 21:20 PM »
Hi Ade, I did have a plan to send you a whole cd of unreleased demos by folk but it was taking me too long to compile. Unfortunately I have now lost the track list though, sorry. One of those songs is definitely Jo Mango and I’m pretty sure another is Desiree Cannon. The theme ended up being stuff that I thought you might like. Cheers

a.heathen

« Reply #33 on: Mon, Mar 25, 2019, 23:23 PM »
Hi Ade, I did have a plan to send you a whole cd of unreleased demos by folk but it was taking me too long to compile. Unfortunately I have now lost the track list though, sorry. One of those songs is definitely Jo Mango and I’m pretty sure another is Desiree Cannon. The theme ended up being stuff that I thought you might like. Cheers

Excellent work.
If you are around at Easter Egg time I will bring "stuff that you might like" in return.

Chaffinch

« Reply #34 on: Tue, Mar 26, 2019, 19:54 PM »
Only two more reviews to go for a 100% success rate...

buddiepaul

« Reply #35 on: Thu, Apr 18, 2019, 15:41 PM »
Apologies for taking so long to get this review posted.  I have thoroughly enjoyed this CD and have listened to it in the car and at work quite regularly.  I lost it for a while as I left it at another office I visit occasionally, but got it back eventually.   This is definitely a keeper and hope to enjoy it in the future and investigate some of the artists this has introduced me to.  I enjoyed every track and it stands up well as a traditional album, which should be listened as a whole.

A lot of this music is very familiar, with a few obvious and distinctive tracks.  However, I just cannot place a number of these tracks and in the spirit of the mix, have made a conscious decision not to look these up, but listen in ignorance, until all is revealed.

Track 1 – Nice folk starter.  Quite a traditional female voice and nice acoustic guitar.  I’m sure this is someone I know, but not familiar with this track at all.  Very enjoyable and  looking forward with interest and hopefully  sets the scene well for the mix.   

Track 2- I feel I know this track, though cannot place it at all.  Very nice and mellow, very melodic and easy going, but keeps your interest.  A laid back vibe, folky with a county tinge in places. I like this and want to hear more of the mix.

Track 3 – Wilco.  This is a lovely catchy foot tapping number that I know if from the last Wilco album.  I’m not a great fan of Wilco but was vaguely aware of their work and was always intrigued to list more of.  However, at the End of the Road festival a couple of years ago where they were holding an pre album launch listening event for this album one morning.  They has one album pressed, with a personal introduction for Jeff Tweedy prior to the music.  It was quite strange, where they has a turntable on the stage, with a full tent listening attentively to the output.

Track 4 – Another familiar voice, Courtney Barnett, though this track is new to me.  Very low key and brooding, with nice keys in the background.  Nice complement to previous track. 

Track – 5 – A jaunty start to this track, very like the Wilco track. Again know the vocalist, but can’t place it .  Very tuneful vocals upfront with an interesting
This mix is really hitting the right buttons for me.  Nice and laid back, but the songs so far have plenty to keep you interested and are

Track 6 – Very melodic and airy start.  Nice tap along tune and nice laid back vocals that seems on a slightly upbeat note, but has a undertone within the vocal  that seems slighted pained.  Very nice instrumental break that goes on to the end of the track, but one that keeps the interest rather than just petering out.  Would be interested to hear more.

Track – 7 A lovely bit of nostalgia, with some classic REM from early on in their career.  Not quite sure what album this is from, but must be mid 80’s.  Took me back to my youth, when REM were not quite mainstream but you could tell they were destined for the top.  Nice choice to fit into the mix.

Track 8 – nice long instrumental introduction and not sure where it is going.  The unmistakable voice of David Byrne.  I was never a great fan of Talking Heads, but can certainly appreciate the genius of Byrne.  This is nice and may tempt me to listen to more.

Track 9 – The stereo separation is very strong in the introduction (I thought my headphones had gone).  I assume this is quite an old track (60s?), but no idea who it is.  Very short, but nice and relaxing.

Track 10 – This is a nice jaunty little number, comes in at a little over 2 minutes .  Sounds very like KC, but I can’t place it.  Love this track. 

Track 11 – A nice slightly off kilter indiesque track, sounds like My Bloody Valentine, slightly different from the mix so far, but certainly does not feel out of place and seems to have been chosen specifically to fit in well to the mix.  Laid back electric guitars warm us up to a more full on sound.  I particularly like the bent notes throughout and provide a good accompaniment to the vocals.

Track – 11 Roxy Music I presume, as the vocals of Bryan Ferry are so distinctive.  I was a little young to get into them in their prime and have sort of passed me by.  Still a good track and certainly would listen to this one again.

Track 12 – Another familiar vocal.  Is this Richard Hawley, though not sure.  Another artist I have not really got into (not sure why), though do like his tracks whenever I hear them.  This one has it all, a glorious crooning beginning, a quiet interlude, then a guitar solo build up to a big noisy harmonic finish.  This song has a lovely production with multiple layered guitars and electronics.  Very nice indeed and a great way to end of the mix.  Favourite track I think (along with Track 10).

thanks again for this CD and sorry it has taken so long to get this review up.

Chaffinch

« Reply #36 on: Thu, Apr 25, 2019, 18:14 PM »
Hi Buddiepaul,

Thanks for the review, glad you seemed to like a lot of it.

A lot of this music is very familiar, with a few obvious and distinctive tracks.  However, I just cannot place a number of these tracks and in the spirit of the mix, have made a conscious decision not to look these up, but listen in ignorance, until all is revealed.

Track 1 – Nice folk starter.  Quite a traditional female voice and nice acoustic guitar.  I’m sure this is someone I know, but not familiar with this track at all.  Very enjoyable and  looking forward with interest and hopefully  sets the scene well for the mix.   

This is Sandy Denny with Crazy Lady Blues.

Track 2- I feel I know this track, though cannot place it at all.  Very nice and mellow, very melodic and easy going, but keeps your interest.  A laid back vibe, folky with a country tinge in places. I like this and want to hear more of the mix.

Picture Of A Bird by Fruit Bats taken from the Tripper album. 

Track 3 – Wilco.  This is a lovely catchy foot tapping number that I know if from the last Wilco album.  I’m not a great fan of Wilco but was vaguely aware of their work and was always intrigued to list more of.  However, at the End of the Road festival a couple of years ago where they were holding an pre album launch listening event for this album one morning.  They had one album pressed, with a personal introduction for Jeff Tweedy prior to the music.  It was quite strange, where they has a turntable on the stage, with a full tent listening attentively to the output.

That End Of The Road event does sound a little strange but Jeff Tweedy can do no wrong in my eyes.   :)  Consistently produces fantastic work.  I saw him in Edinburgh quite recently doing a solo night and it was one of the best things I've seen live.  This track is If I Ever Was A Child from Schmilco.

Track 4 – Another familiar voice, Courtney Barnett, though this track is new to me.  Very low key and brooding, with nice keys in the background.  Nice complement to previous track. 

This is Angel Olsen with The Waiting from her Half Way Home album.

Track – 5 – A jaunty start to this track, very like the Wilco track. Again know the vocalist, but can’t place it .  Very tuneful vocals upfront with an interesting
This mix is really hitting the right buttons for me.  Nice and laid back, but the songs so far have plenty to keep you interested.

Mac DeMarco with I've Been Waiting For Her taken from the Another One album.

Track 6 – Very melodic and airy start.  Nice tap along tune and nice laid back vocals that seems on a slightly upbeat note, but has a undertone within the vocal  that seems slighted pained.  Very nice instrumental break that goes on to the end of the track, but one that keeps the interest rather than just petering out.  Would be interested to hear more.

Agoraphobia by Deerhunter taken from the Microcastle album.

Track – 7 A lovely bit of nostalgia, with some classic REM from early on in their career.  Not quite sure what album this is from, but must be mid 80’s.  Took me back to my youth, when REM were not quite mainstream but you could tell they were destined for the top.  Nice choice to fit into the mix.

Yip, classic REM.  We Walk from their debut album Murmur.

Track 8 – nice long instrumental introduction and not sure where it is going.  The unmistakable voice of David Byrne.  I was never a great fan of Talking Heads, but can certainly appreciate the genius of Byrne.  This is nice and may tempt me to listen to more.

Warning Sign by Talking Heads from the More Songs About Buildings and Food album.

Track 9 – The stereo separation is very strong in the introduction (I thought my headphones had gone).  I assume this is quite an old track (60s?), but no idea who it is.  Very short, but nice and relaxing.

Beatles' instrumental Flying from the Magical Mystery Tour album.

Track 10 – This is a nice jaunty little number, comes in at a little over 2 minutes .  Sounds very like KC, but I can’t place it.  Love this track. 

Yes, KC with All At Sea from the fantastically titled Whelk Of Arse album.

Track 11 – A nice slightly off kilter indiesque track, sounds like My Bloody Valentine, slightly different from the mix so far, but certainly does not feel out of place and seems to have been chosen specifically to fit in well to the mix.  Laid back electric guitars warm us up to a more full on sound.  I particularly like the bent notes throughout and provide a good accompaniment to the vocals.

Shallow by FOUND from their Factorycraft album, an album I return to time and again.

Track – 11 Roxy Music I presume, as the vocals of Bryan Ferry are so distinctive.  I was a little young to get into them in their prime and have sort of passed me by.  Still a good track and certainly would listen to this one again.

Whirlwind by Roxy Music from the underrated Siren album.

Track 12 – Another familiar vocal.  Is this Richard Hawley, though not sure.  Another artist I have not really got into (not sure why), though do like his tracks whenever I hear them.  This one has it all, a glorious crooning beginning, a quiet interlude, then a guitar solo build up to a big noisy harmonic finish.  This song has a lovely production with multiple layered guitars and electronics.  Very nice indeed and a great way to end of the mix.  Favourite track I think (along with Track 10).

Yes, Richard Hawley with Leave Your Body Behind You from the Standing At The Sky's Edge album.

You should definitely seek out some Fruit Bats albums, starting with Tripper and Absolute Loser.

Tracklisting:
1.  Crazy Lady Blues - SANDY DENNY
2.  Picture Of A Bird - FRUIT BATS
3.  If I Ever Was A Child - WILCO
4.  The Waiting - ANGEL OLSEN
5.  I've Been Waiting For Her - MAC DEMARCO
6.  Agoraphobia - DEERHUNTER
7.  We Walk - REM
8.  Warning Sign - TALKING HEADS
9.  Flying - THE BEATLES
10.  All At Sea - KING CREOSOTE
11.  Shallow - FOUND
12.  Whirlwind - ROXY MUSIC
13.  Leave Your Body Behind You - RICHARD HAWLEY

Chaffinch

« Reply #37 on: Sun, Apr 28, 2019, 19:16 PM »
So I've been lucky enough to get two mixes to review and the two couldn't have been any different and both excellent in their own way.

So this mix was from Ravedamage.  His original mix recipient didn't appear to be forthcoming with a review, so here goes with my thoughts on it..

The mix is a singe track, with no obvious breaks so I'll do my best.   :)

Track 1.  Nice tranquil beginning with haunting piano.  Sigur Ros or Nils Frahm maybe?  Good opening number.

Track 2.  Immunity by Jon Hopkins.  Love this.

Track 3.  This is very Who-like.  No idea who the artist is but another good one.

Track 4.  Ambient number with Oriental influences.  Quite liked this too but it went on a little too long.

Track 5.  Disconcerting but interesting track with discordant violins and electronics. which then breaks into an ArthrurLee/Love-esque guitars and drums.  Not even sure if this is one track or remix of some sort.  Liked this one.

Track 6.  Wonky guitars that could be Boards Of Canada but I don't recognise the echoy vocal that comes in.

Track 7.  An angry Englishman ranting.  Wasn't keen on this.

Track 8.  An American or Canadian talking/singing with acoustic guitar.  Reminded me of They Might Be Giants.  It went on too long this one.

Track 9.  The mix gets back on track.  Is The DOT?  I haven't heard this since it came out.  Superb.

Track 10.  This sounds awfully like Steve Coogan?!  This was ok but not something I could listen to a lot.

Track 11.  Ambient/electronic track with lovely acoustic guitar.  Wasn't too fussed about this on the first listen but it grew on me.

Track 12.  Scottish spoken word track.  Was ok.

Track 13.  Laidback electronica.  I think I've heard this one.  Is this Boards Of Canada?

Track 14.  Professor Brian Cox reciting over  an electronic track.  This was pretty good but would have been more up my street if someone else did the recital.

Top mix Ravadamage.  Loved the mix artwork too.  Impressive.

Look forward to the reveal.

stephen

« Reply #38 on: Tue, Apr 30, 2019, 20:49 PM »
So I've been lucky enough to get two mixes to review and the two couldn't have been any different and both excellent in their own way.

So this mix was from Ravedamage.  His original mix recipient didn't appear to be forthcoming with a review, so here goes with my thoughts on it..

Track 1.  Nice tranquil beginning with haunting piano.  Sigur Ros or Nils Frahm maybe?  Good opening number.

Track 3.  This is very Who-like.  No idea who the artist is but another good one.

Track 4.  Ambient number with Oriental influences.  Quite liked this too but it went on a little too long.

Track 5.  Disconcerting but interesting track with discordant violins and electronics. which then breaks into an ArthrurLee/Love-esque guitars and drums.  Not even sure if this is one track or remix of some sort.  Liked this one.

Track 6.  Wonky guitars that could be Boards Of Canada but I don't recognise the echoy vocal that comes in.

Track 8.  An American or Canadian talking/singing with acoustic guitar.  Reminded me of They Might Be Giants.  It went on too long this one.

Track 9.  The mix gets back on track.  Is The DOT?  I haven't heard this since it came out.  Superb.

Track 10.  This sounds awfully like Steve Coogan?!  This was ok but not something I could listen to a lot.

Track 11.  Ambient/electronic track with lovely acoustic guitar.  Wasn't too fussed about this on the first listen but it grew on me.

Track 13.  Laidback electronica.  I think I've heard this one.  Is this Boards Of Canada?

Track 14.  Professor Brian Cox reciting over  an electronic track.  This was pretty good but would have been more up my street if someone else did the recital.

Yes the artwork was amazing, sorry I just realised that you’d prompted me and i’d forgotten. I agree with all of the above and subscribe to the newsletter.

ravedamage

« Reply #39 on: Wed, May 01, 2019, 14:13 PM »

There's 10 seconds of Michael Giacchino's LOST theme at the start, mixed with Nils Frahm's lovely remix of Mogwai's 'The Lord Is Out Of Control...which blends beautifully for a minute or so with the intro to

When I saw kwaing at the Union Chapel four years ago - the gig where he instigated the demise of Demis - he was showing off a copy of the 666 LP by Aphrodite's Child which someone had bought him. Thought I'd give it a go and it's a rum old thing alright. This track, 'The Four Horsemen', is the highlight for me.

This one goes on a bit, aye, but it's the droney see-saw cello-y bit that mixes so well with the next track, so it just has to drag on...Nobukazu Takemura's remix of Yo La Tengo's 'Danelectro'.

I found this on Luke Vibert's Nuggets comp from way back...'Strange Love Action' by The Johanna Group. Amazing tune and is all that which you describe...a game of different halves.

6 and 7 are the same tune, 'Offices In Anglesey' by Supreme Vagabond Craftsman. Another lovely hybrid thing, with his odd KLF shouty bit at the end. He's amazing live.

'Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror' by Jeffrey Lewis. First experienced this at Green Man Festy in 2005, was pretty mindblowing at the time. Was a great Fence presence at this too...KC & The Earlies, Lone Pigeon...

It is and IT IS.

It does, aye, but it isnae...though he makes an appearance in the video for this. Another odd thing I only found out about a couple of years ago. Mike Garry & Joe Duddell's 'St Anthony: An Ode to Anthony H Wilson'...it's way more enjoyable with the visuals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cYNI8s_vo4

This is 'Untitled Roadside Demo' by Black Moth Super Rainbow. Love their more melancholic stuff to the woozy psychedelic tunes they knock out. This is probably my all-time favourite of theirs. Quite BoC-y...

Another favourite mix from my DJing days...'Such A Parcel Of Rogues In A Nation', from Bill Drummond's The Man LP. Read by his dad, William. The next tune has a quiet, drawn out intro that sits over the plucking banjo and wind sounds of this beautifully...

...and is by the mighty Boards, 'Everything You Do Is A Balloon'. A glorious track.

Went off Orbital around the early 2000s, but really enjoyed a lot of their latest LP. This is Coxy waffling on, and they just get away with it because it's a hark back to a few classic tunes from their canon. Or maybe I've succumbed to nostalgia.

Thanks...always enjoy concocting artwork to suit the mix and this was one of my favourites.

I ended up reworking the mix, as several elements (the ones you pointed out) kinda grated with the overall tone. The reworked mix is available to download here: https://soundcloud.com/ravedamage/l-o-s-t

00.00 LOST (Theme) - Michael Giacchino
00.10 The Lord Is Out Of Control (Nils Frahm Remix) - Mogwai
02.10 Immunity (feat King Creosote) - Jon Hopkins
09.57 The Four Horsemen - Aphrodite's Child
15.45 Danelectro 2 (Nobukazu Takemura Remix) - Yo La Tengo
21.10 Strange Love Action - The Johanna Group
28.15 Offices In Anglesey - Supreme Vagabond Craftsman
31.50 Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror - Jeffrey Lewis
37.45 Say Your Prayers - D.O.T.
39.49 St Anthony: An Ode To Anthony H. Wilson - Mike Garry & Joe Duddell
45.50 Untitled Roadside Demo - Black Moth Super Rainbow