Author Topic: The Kills  (Read 227 times)

Congo Bongo

The Kills
« on: Fri, Dec 21, 2018, 13:20 PM »
I've just received in the post from my cousin, five new/sealed albums by The Kills. He didn't include an accompanying letter. (is he trying to tell me something?)

"Keep On Your Mean Side"
"No Wow"
"Midnight Boom"
"Blood Pressures"
"Ash & Ice"

I've never heard anything by them. Any Kills fans out there who can give me any info and direct me to the 'killer' albums or tracks?

Deadyankee

Re: The Kills
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Dec 21, 2018, 21:44 PM »
Saw them in Toronto when Keep on your Mean Side came out. Essentially the White Stripes without the songs or personalities.

Congo Bongo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, Dec 22, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Saw them in Toronto when Keep on your Mean Side came out. Essentially the White Stripes without the songs or personalities.

I've since had an email from my cousin saying The Kills are the best thing since sliced bread. He commented that he felt the White Stripes were a homage to the past, whereas The Kills have a style and sound more 'reaching to the future'

Congo Bongo

« Reply #3 on: Sat, Dec 22, 2018, 15:04 PM »

I've been listening to bits and pieces from the albums. A more primitive and darker sound than I expected. I'd say the first album is definitely influenced by early Beefheart. I'd also venture that they've had an influence on Kurt Vile. On first impressions, I quite like their raw sound but lots of it is just too 'weird' for me. (I've heard so little of White Stripes that I can't make a comparison)