Author Topic: FAO Kenny: Talk Talk live show  (Read 513 times)

scout

FAO Kenny: Talk Talk live show
« on: Mon, Jul 29, 2019, 21:32 PM »
Thought Kenny and some others here might be interested in a Talk Talk / Mark Hollis tribute show in London in November, at the South Bank centre.

Apparently various musicians "including original members of the band" will be performing.

As I type this it's just dawned on me that perhaps Kenny might even be one of the guests. Anyway, looks interesting, and tickets on sale on Thursday.

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/132355-celebration-talk-talk-and-mark-hollis-2019

scout

Re: FAO Kenny: Talk Talk live show
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Jul 29, 2019, 21:40 PM »
Although, having done a little more digging...

"Spirit Of Talk Talk is a one off celebration, featuring founding and former members of the band, Simon Brenner, Martin Ditcham, Rupert Black and Jeep Hook, as well as bassist John Mckenzie."

which is not Tim Friese Greene, Paul Webb or Lee Harris. Oh well.

Deadyankee

« Reply #2 on: Mon, Jul 29, 2019, 23:14 PM »
It sounds utterly dreadful

funky_nomad

« Reply #3 on: Wed, Jul 31, 2019, 15:29 PM »
Is it the Spirit of Talk Talk who did the album, or the Spirit of Talk Talk who did the book, or neither??

I Believe In You/I Don't Believe In You...

Sunday_Boy

« Reply #4 on: Fri, Nov 29, 2019, 14:22 PM »
Sadly, this did prove to be a bit of a disappointment and, despite some great moments and individual performances, the house band mostly fell short of doing justice to the source material, and some of the vocalists rather let the side down. You may be able to guess who from this list of suspects:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/talk-talk/2019/royal-festival-hall-london-england-5b9a2bb4.html
KC would have raised the bar considerably but he probably did well to steer clear. The book and album are highly recommended, though, and not only for KC's contributions.

Far better was Karine Polwart's Scottish Songbook show at the Barbican the following night. As well as all the songs covered on her accompanying album, there were fabulous renditions of I Could Be Happy, Party Fears Two and (stretching the concept of "Scottish song") Teardrop by Massive Attack feat. Liz Fraser and Road to Nowhere (I had no idea that David Byrne was born in Dumbarton), which was said to be a reflection on the current state of politics and the prospects of the Scottish national football team. Sadly no songs by KC or the Burns Unit, but the Barbican stage is now duly warmed up for the From Scotland With Love show in March.

Leckers

« Reply #5 on: Sat, Nov 30, 2019, 14:14 PM »

ayjayemm

« Reply #6 on: Sat, Nov 30, 2019, 18:51 PM »
on a related note I
bought this the other
week. quite incredible.

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/100006-mark-hollis-mark-hollis?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwP6-o4-S5gIVCbLtCh11fA86EAQYAiABEgJjZfD_BwE

It's an incredible album, isn't it? Beyond intimate. If you can find a copy, the Talk Talk compilation 'Missing Pieces' not only has the slightly different versions of the songs from 'Laughing Stock' that were released as singles, but it also contains 'Piano'; Mark Hollis' only other official release. It's a 20 minute ambient piano track which is quietly devastating.

Ally

« Reply #7 on: Sat, Nov 30, 2019, 20:16 PM »
The 1998 Mark Hollis album might just be my favourite of them all. Amazing album.

NichoBI

• My Website
« Reply #8 on: Tue, Dec 03, 2019, 22:07 PM »
I never really listened to Talk Talk, despite all the praise I've heard, not least on here. Since reading this thread a few days ago and putting Mark Hollis on, I've barely listened to anything else. It floored me like nothing I've heard in years, and I'm kicking myself for not listening sooner. Thanks for this thread and all previous Talk Talk talk, it finally sunk in.