Author Topic: withered hand & king creosote  (Read 1329 times)

AETC

• Global Moderator
withered hand & king creosote
« on: Mon, Sep 09, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Friday September 20th, East Neuk Hotel, Crail
SOLD OUT

tickets were £15 each and couldíve been bought from the hotel. Not now 8)
« Last Edit: Mon, Sep 09, 2019, 19:20 PM by AETC »

Kate

Re: withered hand & king creosote
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Sep 09, 2019, 21:21 PM »
Popped into the hotel last week and they wrote down our names on their list but wouldnít take my money! Said to pay on the night. I hope that counts as us having tickets?

Leckers

« Reply #2 on: Mon, Sep 09, 2019, 22:32 PM »
ah fuck. again.
need to check
in mair often.

Jackie

« Reply #3 on: Mon, Sep 09, 2019, 23:14 PM »
ah fuck. again.
need to check
in mair often.
But it's at that hotel you hate so you won't be missing anything

Leckers

« Reply #4 on: Mon, Sep 09, 2019, 23:31 PM »
trust you to find
the bright side.
itís the folk i miss
no the bricks.

czefski

« Reply #5 on: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 10:14 AM »
An very emotional night at the ENH. A night of goodbyes.

To Danny whose sartorial elegance and smooth moves on the dancefloor graced many a good night in the ENH. A reminder to enjoy these nights whilst you can. Lovely that Lynne was there too, amongst friends at such a difficult time.

To the ENH itself, home of some fabulous nights over the past 5 years. The mayhem of the Khartoum Heroes on pre-opening night; the serenading of the mad Canadian by KC through her letter-box one cold Sunday night; the incredible 50 gigs for KC's 50th year, to the fitting denouement last night, etc. etc.

How fitting that it should end with the 2 of the 3 guys that have meant the most to making the ENH such a great venue. KC & WH, performing a duet of No Cigarettes and then raising the roof with a rousing singalong of Pauper's Dough to bring an era to a close.

The 3rd guy was spotted with tears in his eyes behind the bar during Pauper's Dough. Paul Johnson went well beyond the call of duty to ensure that there was a regular stream of events at the ENH and without his passion, energy and enthusiasm I doubt that many of the great nights we had there would have happened. His dancing behind the bar will be as sadly missed as the music we were treated to over the past 5 years.

Love live the Futtle Era!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackie

« Reply #6 on: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 10:59 AM »
czefski - thank you, I know that will mean a lot to Paul.  I am so proud of him.
Can only echo what you have said about KC and Withered Hand - just magic each and every time. Huge thanks to you both from Paul and I and of course to all the fabulous musicians who have played with you - Captain Geeko, Des Lawson, Goggs, Uncle Beesley, Scruff, Gummi, Hannah and Sorren the list goes on.

And to our Fence friends - those there last night, those unable to make it and those who had to leave the dance floor way way to soon. How very lucky are we to know and love you all.

stephen

« Reply #7 on: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 16:35 PM »
Ach sounds amazing, really gutted we had to miss it.

ayjayemm

« Reply #8 on: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 18:01 PM »
Really wish we could have been there for all the reasons listed above. We had to content ourselves with raising a parting glass to Danny and the ENH era in the slighty fence-related Monorail. Love to you all. X

Lavinia

« Reply #9 on: Sun, Sep 22, 2019, 11:37 AM »
Yes, it was another great night in the ENH although the owners were still eating their dinner through some of Kenny's set.  We brought Lynne along and I am sure Danny would have wanted her to be out enjoying herself and given that he also requested no formal funeral, Saturday was a great opportunity for many folk to give her a hug and remember Danny. 

The ENH for me was Paul and it was a shame that he had to work - although he had the most room behind the bar to dance to the music so there was a plus side.  Thought that perhaps the owners might have got up and thanked all us for coming and given Paul a wee pat on the back for all his hard work but NO they just scooped up the wine and got up through songs to go to the toilet.  Bad manners through and through.  Its the end of an era, the next chapter at Stephens brewery is going to be interesting I just hope they get a bus stop sorted out, I know you can flag them down but its better if there is one to shelter under.

We continued partying last night in the Ship and Kenny and Andy did a wee set for me, it was fantastic and meant a lot as one of their biggest fans. Lynne was there and we had a dance floor which Kenny and Andy had us dancing for around and hour with a fantastic set and thanks to them and all the folk who were there to help celebrate my birthday.  It was lovely for Kenny to say it was his gig of the year and I even got a cheeky wee smile which made my night.  I am sure he has to keep his eyes closed or else he couldn't sing for laughing at my antics half the time!  Dancing is good for the soul and being with friends is so important, Paul and Jackie are soon to leave and move back near to Jackies parents but it won't be the last we see of them as they will return and they will be able to enjoy it even more as Paul won't have to work.  Haste ye back!   

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #10 on: Sun, Sep 22, 2019, 14:38 PM »
Bit disappointed in the negativity of the previous post towards 'the owners'.
For your information Lavinia, they had asked to eat in the front bar, specifically so as not to disturb the music, but it was not possible. I'm sorry you were offended that they 'scooped up' wine.  And going to the toilet.... in a pub?  Dear dear!
Paul will get his 'wee pat on the back' so you don't have to worry yourself on that score.

Over the period we have tried to be supportive of musicians and music fans.
Since no-one had asked "the owners' to say a few words, and not being particularly pushy, they didn't bother making a valedictory speech.
Allow me to thank you all on their behalf.

Thank you Lavinia.

Cameleon

« Reply #11 on: Mon, Sep 23, 2019, 13:41 PM »
I'm so sorry I've had to miss all these gigs and particularly not be able to say bye for now to Jackie and Paul.  You are and always have been a top bloke Paul.  Please try and keep in touch if you both can.... and a belated but big Happy Birthday to you Lavinia.  Looking forward to another of your poems after Fifty One!

kwaing

« Reply #12 on: Mon, Sep 23, 2019, 21:13 PM »

Over the period we have tried to be supportive of musicians and music fans.

Hear hear! not many venues would've so readily hosted my daft ideas for a night out, and the combination of Paul J and the ENH was a winning one. End of a golden era.

Captain Underpants

« Reply #13 on: Fri, Sep 27, 2019, 18:44 PM »
 "Thought that perhaps the owners might have got up and thanked all us for coming and given Paul a wee pat on the back for all his hard work but NO they just scooped up the wine and got up through songs to go to the toilet.  Bad manners through and through."

Crikey! How sad that you had to witness the people who had invested thousands of hours of their own labour creating one of the Neuk's best venues by the sweat of their brows. Oh and the hundreds of thousands of pounds of personal investment, have their dinner late, after making sure all their guests got fed.

The level of  blinkered self interest displayed in this uncharitable post is only matched by the ignorance of the dedication and hard work of the evil "owners" who provided the opportunity for so much fun to fifers, many of whom, and you know who you are, often did not even spend enough money to pay for staffs wages on the night; entry fees being, quite rightly, for the benefit of  the musicians. Although this business of nursing a half pint for a whole performance might simply be a concentration issue.

Music fans have derived so much enjoyment from the existence of The Neuk over the years and the fabulous support it has given to Fife musicians since its opening. Sadly I missed the bit on Friday where a regular member of the audience publicly appreciated the time effort and money expended on making their fun happen. Who knew that it was just for the pleasure of those "owners" who only wanted to "scoop up the wine" they had bought.

Its a shame about Paul being embarrassed by this post: His decisions about his shifts and his appreciation by his employers is, I would have thought, not really for public consumption.

Anyhow I am sure the person who made this post will contribute fully to the creation of a better venue where the owners do not publicly enjoy their own wine or the performances. And who have no Bladders. Music is LOVE.