Author Topic: Mix Club 2019  (Read 3559 times)

Sunday_Boy

Re: Mix Club 2019
« Reply #15 on: Tue, Dec 03, 2019, 13:37 PM »
1. Chaffinch/Dr Love
2. Congo Bongo
3. Cameleon
4. ravedamage
5 stephen
6 KY-10
7 a. heathen
8 whiskeypriest
9. Czefski
10. Sunday Boy (hopefully not too late)

fuctifano

« Reply #16 on: Wed, Dec 04, 2019, 11:14 AM »
1. Chaffinch/Dr Love
2. Congo Bongo
3. Cameleon
4. ravedamage
5 stephen
6 KY-10
7 a. heathen
8 whiskeypriest
9. Czefski
11. Fano (if not too late also)

Chaffinch

« Reply #17 on: Wed, Dec 04, 2019, 21:40 PM »
1. Chaffinch/Dr Love
2. Congo Bongo
3. Cameleon
4. ravedamage
5 stephen
6 KY-10
7 a. heathen
8 whiskeypriest
9. Czefski
11. Fano (if not too late also)

The more the merrier.  PM your contact address if you haven’t already.  Ta.

Chaffinch

« Reply #18 on: Sun, Dec 08, 2019, 21:18 PM »
Hi - everyone should have a note of their mix club recipient in their inbox. 

Happy mixing!  Remember mix club etiquette to review your mix.

Dr Love/Chaffinch

fuctifano

« Reply #19 on: Wed, Dec 11, 2019, 09:43 AM »
That was quick!
Received with thanks!
Christmas card was a nice touch.
Will listen over the weekend hopefully and report back.

fuctifano

« Reply #20 on: Wed, Dec 18, 2019, 22:22 PM »
Mix Club Review....

Thanks Mystery Mixer for an extensive 20 track mix plus 16 song bonus cd!!

Loved the Santas on mopeds on the cover!

The mix covers a lot of different genres and styles so kudos to the mixer for the variation. There was a lot I really liked but also one or two I didn’t get on with at all – more or less of that later!

So here we go…
1 Off to a great start! Latin funk rock. Nice groove. No idea who it is but I’d like to know more about them. Would probably buy an album of theirs based on this. Nice one Senor/Senorita.

2 Sorry, not keen on this! The guy just sounds like a smug so and so. Don’t mind the music so much – it’s bouncy and interesting in bits but the guy’s voice just aint for me.

3 First few listens to this kind of passed me by. A shot on the ear goggles though and it’s maybe a different beast. A bit more going on than first meets the ears! Nice electronic grooves – especially at around 2.15. Really getting on better with this one now.

4 Dark, heavy vibe with fuzzy guitars and drums. I really like this but it’s probably not something I’d listen to a lot – kinda the point of mix club really! Hypnotic and brooding but the chorus is almost uplifting. Interesting one. Good stuff.

5 same category as number 2! Although this guy is even more annoying. Love the heavy bass and drums but this guy with his fake punk shouty ting is almost ruining it!

6 This is right up my street! African groove vibes. Wouldn’t be surprised if this had something to do with Paul Simon/Graceland/Ladysmith. Absolutely love this and could listen to it all day. 10/10!

7 Listened to this a few times now and I still couldn’t tell you where it’s from! Maybe Brasil? Maybe eastern Europe/Baltic. Nah I’m saying Brazil. It’s nice though. There’s a lot going on but still manages to have quite a relaxed vibe at the same time.

8 This is a great wee reggae groover. I’ve heard it a few times I’m sure but couldn’t tell you who it is! Thumbs up from me!

9 This is just lovely. I surely know who this is? Acoustic guitar, gentle vocals, aaahhhs and strings. Very nice indeed.

10 This is someone really famous who has a lot of loyal fans eh? Like a modern day Leonard Cohen? All religious imagery and gothic spoken word darkness. Not for me I’m afraid. Gimme the African groove over this any time.

11 This is great though! A southern belle singer. Acoustic guitar and a lovely, somewhat defiant voice. Only 2 minutes but it’s perfect!

12 Another one for the headphones! This is all Breathy female vocals with overdubs and electric bass. This is really well done with a subtle groove behind it. I’m a sucker for this type of thing to be fair, but this is really nice. The last few minutes when the rhythm drops out is quite dreamy! Ace stuff.

13 oh no. this sounds like some hipster trying to sound old fashioned but using auto tuned vocals and samples. Not for me.

14 It’s KC on accordion! Well, it’s probably not. Another one I really really like. A similar vibe to 11 in some ways. Accordion, string and acoustic guitar with a female vocalist who sounds weary at times but what a voice. This is epic around 2.50 mins in, beautiful. Would love to know more about this.

15 Nah. Sorry. Maybe I’m just comparing it to 14 but it’s nowhere near as good as it thinks it is.

16 I think maybe we just skip this one.

17 Superb! A brilliant cover of a brilliant song! Funnily enough I listed to the original recently and it was one of those moments where you have to stop what you’re doing and just appreciate. There’s so many covers of this but this is one of the best I’ve heard. Ace

18 Modern gospel?   This might be ok if they didn’t fuck about with it so much. The song itself is ok. Actually it’s quite a good song really. Those warped voices at the start would put you off though. Good enough though.

19 Perfection! Not listened to this for ages but it’s a song I often find myself thinking about. Is this the first song I know the song and the artist on this mix? Maybe. Anyway, I don’t need to say anything here. Just let those voices hold you.

20 And a nice wee jig to finish off! Intricate accordion and guitar work on this wee toe tapper. I’ve never any idea how these folk remember all these tunes. Lovely finish to the mix.

Bonus disc
1 The chipmunks!!!?!?  Or the smurfs maybe? Merry Christmas to you too!
2 Devil worshipping is it?!
3 Modern rap is rubbish I often think to myself. Is this modern? It’s fucking good whatever it is. Thumbsupemoji#
4 Not sure I’m too fussed with this tbh. They clearly think they are great though. Fair enough.
5 Our Man Dan! With lush strings. Nice.
6 Like simple minds slowwweed riiight down.
7 Echoey piano and female vocals. Nice enough.
8 Nice enough again.
9 Reggae tune with some Latin vibes. What’s not to like!
10 A nice wee modern classical piece. Lovely stuff. I say wee but it’s over 6 mins. Not complaining though!
11 Easy to just drift away with this one! Magical.
12 Deep south outback swamp trash hooch blues. Or something. Enjoyable if maybe not very authentic?
13  Beatz.
14 Thought this might have been Portishead. It’s not though. It’s really not. Sorry might skip this.
15 Ha! Benny Hill does Xmas!
16 When folk say they love Scotland they mean Edinburgh, maybe bits of the highlands, maybe the east neuk. They don’t mean Hamilton or Cumbernauld or Ayr. Some of those places are worse than England.

So out of 36 songs there were several I thought were really excellent and maybe 3 or 4 I just didn’t get at all. Pretty decent hit rate really!
Not a lot I knew so really looking forward to the reveal, especially 1, 3, 6, 9, 11 ,12, 14 and 17.
From the bonus disc 3 and 10 were strong favourites.
Thanks for putting this together. A really enjoyable and varied listen. It’s good to stretch the old ears in directions they maybe wouldn’t have normally gone. Appreciated!
All the Best!  ;D

Cameleon

« Reply #21 on: Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 16:56 PM »
MixClub 2019 Themeless Reveal

Thanks Mark
And now the moment you’ve all been waiting for

1 Off to a great start! Latin funk rock. Nice groove. No idea who it is but I’d like to know more about them. Would probably buy an album of theirs based on this. Nice one Senor/Senorita.
Mana  - Tu Tienes Lo Que Quiero
Mana are to Mexico what Runrig were to Scotland.  From the 1997 album Suenos Liquidos.  A bit mainstream for my usual taste but I thought it would make a nice opener.  I’m not so keen on their ballads but really glad that you want to investigate further.

2 Sorry, not keen on this! The guy just sounds like a smug so and so. Don’t mind the music so much – it’s bouncy and interesting in bits but the guy’s voice just aint for me.
The Clint Boon Experience – White No Sugar
A self produced single from 1999 taken from the album”A Compact Guide to Pop Music and Space Travel”.  Clint is one of Oldham’s finest and, as well as previously providing keys for the Inspiral Carpets, he is also a legendary Manc radio presenter and Club DJ.  Possibly an explanation for his smugness.

3 First few listens to this kind of passed me by. A shot on the ear goggles though and it’s maybe a different beast. A bit more going on than first meets the ears! Nice electronic grooves – especially at around 2.15. Really getting on better with this one now.
Wild Beasts – Punk Drunk and Trembling
From Kendal and fellow label mates of King Creosote.  This was from their final 2017 EP before disbanding in 2018.  Such a shame.

4 Dark, heavy vibe with fuzzy guitars and drums. I really like this but it’s probably not something I’d listen to a lot – kinda the point of mix club really! Hypnotic and brooding but the chorus is almost uplifting. Interesting one. Good stuff.
Toy Drum featuring Gavin Clark – Spirit
An offshoot of Unkle and featuring the late great and sadly missed Gavin Clark on vocals.  This hails from 2015’s Evangelist which was completed after Gavin’s passing.

5 same category as number 2! Although this guy is even more annoying. Love the heavy bass and drums but this guy with his fake punk shouty ting is almost ruining it!
Life – Bum hour
From the album “A Picture of Good Health” released just a few months ago.  I like the way they combine a B52’s feel to a post punk style but not to everyone’s taste so fair comment..  Produced by Luke Smith who has also worked with Depeche Mode and Foals (another favourite of Mrs C).

6 This is right up my street! African groove vibes. Wouldn’t be surprised if this had something to do with Paul Simon/Graceland/Ladysmith. Absolutely love this and could listen to it all day. 10/10!
Mahlathini & The Mahotella Queens – Ukhulum’ Izindaba
From the 1988 album “Paris – Soweto”.  A perfect example of  South African Mbaqanga street music.  Irresistable rhythms produced by the saxophonist and composer West Nkosi who went on to work with Zulu artists as well as Ladysmith Black Mambazo.  The whole album is like this.

7 Listened to this a few times now and I still couldn’t tell you where it’s from! Maybe Brasil? Maybe eastern Europe/Baltic. Nah I’m saying Brazil. It’s nice though. There’s a lot going on but still manages to have quite a relaxed vibe at the same time.
Gruff Rhys – Pang!
This is the title track from the Super Furry/Neon Neon man’s album released earlier this year.  Lyrics are sung in a mixture of Welsh and Zulu and the album was produced by the excellent South African electronic musical whizzkid Muzi.

8 This is a great wee reggae groover. I’ve heard it a few times I’m sure but couldn’t tell you who it is! Thumbs up from me!
Barrington Levy – Praise His Name
A vocal legend.  Edited down from the 1983 12” single/dub version recorded at Dynamic studios with Sly & Robbie during the Money Move sessions for George Phang’s Powerhouse label.

9 This is just lovely. I surely know who this is? Acoustic guitar, gentle vocals, aaahhhs and strings. Very nice indeed.
Noah Hall & Whiskey Priest – Ghost Kid
From the 2014 album “Almost Satisfied” by our AETC Hub’s very own Whiskey Priest.  A dear friend and member of our TOOBE musical collective.  If you like this why not check out the album and other releases on https://noahhallwhiskeypriestrfr.bandcamp.com/
Noah is coming over from Oregon next year and visiting the East Neuk.  Hopefully he will be doing a gig or two while he is here.  Not to be missed.

10 This is someone really famous who has a lot of loyal fans eh? Like a modern day Leonard Cohen? All religious imagery and gothic spoken word darkness. Not for me I’m afraid. Gimme the African groove over this any time.
Leonard Cohen – If You Want It Darker
Included in this mix at the suggestion of Mrs C.  The title track from Leonard Cohen’s final album before his passing in November 2017.  Co-produced by his son Adam and Patrick Leonard who was responsible for production of several Madonna albums and who played the keys and bass parts of the track.  Alison Krauss also contributes backing vocals.  I won’t tell Mrs Cameleon it isn’t your cuppa!

11 This is great though! A southern belle singer. Acoustic guitar and a lovely, somewhat defiant voice. Only 2 minutes but it’s perfect!
Ane Brun – All My Tears
Sounds a lot like Dolly but shows just how versatile Norway’s Ane Brun can be.  From the 2013 album “Rarities”.  I may have included this in a previous MixClub offering but why not?  Also worth checking out her “Duets” album which includes a collaboration with Ron Sexsmith.

12 Another one for the headphones! This is all Breathy female vocals with overdubs and electric bass. This is really well done with a subtle groove behind it. I’m a sucker for this type of thing to be fair, but this is really nice. The last few minutes when the rhythm drops out is quite dreamy! Ace stuff.
Daydream Daisy – Solstice
An exclusive taster from a soon to be released EP from another of our Hub members.  Beautifully crafted.  Andi is also a leading member of the TOOBE project and I strongly suggest you check out and purchase her previous EP from her Bandcamp site  https://daydreamdaisy.bandcamp.com/ as well as the Starlight EP as soon as it becomes available.

13 oh no. this sounds like some hipster trying to sound old fashioned but using auto tuned vocals and samples. Not for me.
Bon Iver – Naeem
From this year’s I,I album and named after Naeem Hanks, a hip hop artist who co-wrote U (Man Like) on this album with Justin Vernon, Chris Messina and Bruce Hornsby.  I’m sorry it’s not something that instantly appeals.  I’ve always thought that Bon Iver reflect the spirit of the collaborative process of The Fence Collective.  Please trust me, the album is a grower.

14 It’s KC on accordion! Well, it’s probably not. Another one I really really like. A similar vibe to 11 in some ways. Accordion, string and acoustic guitar with a female vocalist who sounds weary at times but what a voice. This is epic around 2.50 mins in, beautiful. Would love to know more about this.
Emily Barker & Red Clay Halo – Nostalgia
An adapted version of this song was used as the theme music for a series of Wallander.  This is the original recording from the 2008 album “Despite the Snow” recorded live in a Norfolk barn rather than in her native Australia.

15 Nah. Sorry. Maybe I’m just comparing it to 14 but it’s nowhere near as good as it thinks it is.
Soren Lorensen – Time Machine
Another selection by Mrs C.  Soren Lorensen are Matt Hales (a.k.a Aqualung) and  the wonderful orchestrator Davide Rossi who provided previously unused string arrangements to Matt to recycle and weave in his own magic.  From the album “Lake Constance” released earlier this year.  Mrs C will be upset Mark!

16 I think maybe we just skip this one.
Beck – Uneventful Days
This threw me totally when I first heard it because it is such a different direction for Beck now he has Pharrell Williams on board as a producer and co-writer.  From the album “Hyperspace” which was released this October.

17 Superb! A brilliant cover of a brilliant song! Funnily enough I listed to the original recently and it was one of those moments where you have to stop what you’re doing and just appreciate. There’s so many covers of this but this is one of the best I’ve heard. Ace
Undisputed Truth – Papa Was a Rolling Stone
This band were largely unrecognised for their role within Motown and provided backing for almost all the major stars of the label as well as producing some cracking tunes of their own. Assembled by Norman Whitfield as a house band to try out his compositions and led by Billie Calvin who went on to write “Wishing on a Star” for Rose Royce.  This is the original release of the song before it was handed over to The Temptations.  Co-written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong (who also wrote War for Edwin Starr).

18 Modern gospel?   This might be ok if they didn’t fuck about with it so much. The song itself is ok. Actually it’s quite a good song really. Those warped voices at the start would put you off though. Good enough though.
Justin Timberlake – Say Something
Our youngest son introduced this to me without telling me who it was and I was absolutely knocked out.  The production and arrangements are spectacular and features 17 musicians plus a sixty strong choir.  Rather than choosing the album track I decided to feature this version which was recorded in a single take to accompany the video which was shot in one continuous reel.  Co written with the Country genius Chris Stapleton who also shares vocal duties and co-produced with Timbaland.  Thought I would throw you a curveball with this track.  Who would have selected Justin Timberlake?

19 Perfection! Not listened to this for ages but it’s a song I often find myself thinking about. Is this the first song I know the song and the artist on this mix? Maybe. Anyway, I don’t need to say anything here. Just let those voices hold you.
Alison Kraus – Down By The River
Recorded live with the First Baptist Church of Whitehouse from Tennessee.  I’ve been listening recently to a lot of Gospel recently to prepare for a studio session that will end up nothing like Gospel at all!  This was my go to choice for inspiration.  Famous for her work with Robert Plant but an incredible singer in her own right.  Incidentally she also supplies guest backing vocals on the Bon Iver album.

20 And a nice wee jig to finish off! Intricate accordion and guitar work on this wee toe tapper. I’ve never any idea how these folk remember all these tunes. Lovely finish to the mix.
Mairearad Green & Anna Massie – The Red Poppy
One half of Bhoy Gull and one of the finest musicians I have ever seen perform live on many an occasion.  Not just with Kenny but also with Anna who is also one of the cream of Scottish folk talent.
The opening track from their joint album “Best Day”.

Bonus disc
1 The chipmunks!!!?!?  Or the smurfs maybe? Merry Christmas to you too!
Smurfs – WWYAMC (Edit)
Well, we planned to get this mix to our recipient before Christmas.  Suggested by Mrs Cameleon.  No apologies for quality control!

2 Devil worshipping is it?!
Can – Oh Yeah
This is the track that Talk Talk played to announce their arrival on stage at the legendary 1986 Hammersmith gig which was their last ever UK gig.  Taken from Can’s 1971 album Tago Mago.  Hugely influential and the finest contribution German musicians have given the world.  Well, perhaps along with Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Neu, Rammstein, Einstuerzende Neubauten and  Polarkreis 18, but these guys were amazing as a band and individually.  Don't think they were in to devil worship although their Japanese vocalist was a wee bit crazy.  Kept playing hide and seek with my girlfriend of the time before the soundcheck!

3 Modern rap is rubbish I often think to myself. Is this modern? It’s fucking good whatever it is. Thumbsupemoji#
Leftield – Dusted
The opening track from the 1999 album “Rhythm and Stealth” and featuring the finest British Hip Hop artist ever, Roots Manuva, on vocal duties.  An absolute delight both on albums and live and also contributors to the soundtracks for Shallow Grave and Trainspotting.

4 Not sure I’m too fussed with this tbh. They clearly think they are great though. Fair enough.
Mansun – The Chad who Loved Me
From their 1997 debut album “Attack of the Grey Lantern”.  The string arrangement by Stefan Geradet is superb and reminds me of a John Barry Bond theme.

5 Our Man Dan! With lush strings. Nice.
Withered Hand – No Cigarettes
Spot on!  From the recent EP of Good News and fresh from Dan’s magnificent gigs at the Voodoo Rooms.   The string arrangements from our very own pha11 compliment this beautifully.  Available as a physical CD or online from the Withered Hand website.  Order it now.

6 Like simple minds slowwweed riiight down.
Talk Talk – I Believe in You
There’s been much praise of the genius of Mark Hollis and Talk Talk on the hub since Mark Hollis’s sad passing.  From the album “Spirit of Eden”.  My heart aches.

7 Echoey piano and female vocals. Nice enough.
Agnes Obel – Familiar
A faultless piece of work to my ears but “nice enough” is OK.  I’ll accept that.  I was chatting with Andi about skilful use of pitch adjustment during the recording process and this is a perfect example.  The apparently male harmonies are actually created from pitch shifted recordings of Agnes Obel herself.  I’ve been guilty of favouring Scandinavian musicians in the past but how could I not include this?  Absolute perfection for me personally and the writing, performance and studio production still send shivers down my spine.  Born in Denmark but now living in Berlin.  She will be performing at Edinburgh Queen’s Hall on April 1st next year.

8 Nice enough again.
Bear’s Den – Bad Blood
Another track suggested by Mrs C.  This was recorded live on a tenement landing as a gift to members of their fanclub.  We saw them perform at the Edinburgh Corn Exchange this year and they played three songs with absolutely no amplification at the centre of the 3000 capacity audience area.  Not even a pin dropped.  A beautiful experience for everyone there but fair dooze for your review.

9 Reggae tune with some Latin vibes. What’s not to like!
Manu Chao – Roadies Rules
Originally an out-take from the Clandestino album this finally appeared on a special re-release of the album recently as a bonus track.  These days road crew are highly talented and professional individuals but I remember when the breed described in the song were of the Fix it, Drink it, Fuck it, Load it in the truck variety.

10 A nice wee modern classical piece. Lovely stuff. I say wee but it’s over 6 mins. Not complaining though!
Stomu Yamash’ta – Wind Words
I wouldn't normally include long compositions on a single mixdisc, hence the reason for a bonus disc to allow a little more space to explore.  Featured in the soundtrack for Bowie’s Man Who Fell to Earth soundtrack and from the 1973 album “Freedom is Frightening”.  The haunting violin is played by Hisako Yamash’ta, wife of Stomu.  Sublime.

11 Easy to just drift away with this one! Magical.
Jeremy Warmsley – January (Radio Edit)
From the excellent album “A Year”.  I love the way he fuses different time signatures to create this atmospheric track.  This album was released a track at a time each month throughout 2019 and is available from https://jeremywarmsley.bandcamp.com/ including the full version of January plus bonus edits and a remix of April.  A hugely talented musician with several film scores also to his credit.  Can I also suggest you check out “Moment” which featured in the score for Wanderlust and contains elements reminiscent of Talk Talk’s Spirit of Eden.

12 Deep south outback swamp trash hooch blues. Or something. Enjoyable if maybe not very authentic?
Tom Waits – Gun Street Girl
From the 1985 album “Raindogs”.  Engineered by Robert Russo who has worked with the cream of musical talent for almost 50 years and produced by Waits himself as only he could.  Another Marmite selection.

13  Beatz.
Neukleus – Whizzdom
An instrumental beta mix from the forthcoming album “An Egg in Newton’s Cradle”.  A shameless inclusion from yours truly and an opportunity to test the sonic waters.

14 Thought this might have been Portishead. It’s not though. It’s really not. Sorry might skip this.
King Crimson – Starless
From the album Red.  One of my top ten records from my vinyl years but I knew it could be a marmite track  Produced by Robert Fripp with the band  and engineered by George Chkiantz who was responsible for Jimi Hendrix and The Small Faces at Olympic studios in the sixties as well as The Beatles and went on to engineer Hawkwind, Led Zeppelin and The Stones in the seventies.  Not to everyone’s taste, particularly in the jazzy section before the coda.

15 Ha! Benny Hill does Xmas!
Los Lobos – Rudolph The Manic Reindeer
Edited down from the original and still a bit of Christmas fun.

16 When folk say they love Scotland they mean Edinburgh, maybe bits of the highlands, maybe the east neuk. They don’t mean Hamilton or Cumbernauld or Ayr. Some of those places are worse than England.
Mitch Benn – Moving to Scotland
Having moved to Scotland a few years ago, I had to include this comedy song.  Our home and hearts are already here in Scotland.  Available from Mitch’s Bandcamp site for just a squid plus there’s a video on YouTube although you are right, it was shot around Edinburgh and not Paisley.  In my defence I should point out that I spent thirty plus years in some of the less tasteful parts of London’s struggling East End.  There’s good and bad everywhere but I couldn’t be happier if our Hub brothers and sisters relocated here.

So out of 36 songs there were several I thought were really excellent and maybe 3 or 4 I just didn’t get at all. Pretty decent hit rate really!
Not a lot I knew so really looking forward to the reveal, especially 1, 3, 6, 9, 11 ,12, 14 and 17.
From the bonus disc 3 and 10 were strong favourites.
Thanks for putting this together. A really enjoyable and varied listen. It’s good to stretch the old ears in directions they maybe wouldn’t have normally gone. Appreciated!
All the Best!

Thank you so much Mark for your kind review.
I must admit, I did road test the mix with a few friends before sending it to you and I’m so pleased that you picked out Noah (Whiskey Priest) and Andi (Daydream Daisy) amongst your favourites.  They are wonderful musicians and I’m hoping that the rest of our Hub will support them as fellow members.  I love MixClub and the way that we all share our individual tastes and encourage each other to explore further.

It's been a pleasure.

Be Happy

Meic

Congo Bongo

« Reply #22 on: Sun, Dec 22, 2019, 17:21 PM »
Mix Club 2019 review.........

I've had a good few listens to this mix and am ready to take the plunge and do a review. Most, if not all of the tracks I can't identify, so here goes.

1) Nice mellow, hippie, acoustic + strings intro track. I like this a lot and haven't a clue who it is. It's got a late sixties feel, like Genesis on a good day or an acoustic Family.

2) A more modern beat now. This sounds like it could be Robert Wyatt in a playful mood.

3) Are we about to set off in one of Hawkwind's silver machines? Definitely got the 'space travel' vibe. Could it be Tangerine Dream?

4) Just returned from a journey in that mythical place called 'outer space'. Back on Earth now with some unaccompanied female singing. It's got a olde English folk feel. Nice and tranquil.

5) Oops, back on the spaceship. Why is it every time I enter a spaceship I think of Tangerine Dream? I must be programmed  ::)

6) Still got the spacey vibe but we've now stopped of at a docking station / interstellar nightclub,  with a hypnotic bass and drum beat playing in the background.

7) We're still in the futuristic nightclub but this one's got an oriental feel, so this could be somewhere in Tokyo after hours.

8) Because it is a seamless mix, it's hard at times to tell when tracks start / finish. I think Bjork or Catatonia have taken over the vocals. It's a song about a "vegetable surprise", which would be very interesting as I'm a committed carnivore. But hey, bring it on, I was born to have adventure. This is hypnotic. In the right mood, I could listen to this throbbing beat for hours.

9) Still in the futuristic nightclub, but with new female singers and a more quirky synth sound. Bartender, give me another glass of 'space juice'............quick!  8)

10) Back on terra firma now, or so I thought. The intro fooled me. Still quite spacey, but with a disco feel. Imagine the Bee Gees dosed on psychedelic space juice. I could dance to this, with my white suit on (Gram Parsons style) This is fun.

110 The weather forecast leading into heavy metal, but now it's like that Elbow block, Guy Garvey with Bevis Frond backing him. This is a great track. The playing, singing, lyrics all good.

12) This still sounds like Elbow to me, but without Bevis Frond. Echos of King Crimson. Another nice track, but the ending is a wee bit too intense for me.

13) A mellow track now with a Peter Gabriel feel. This is after hours, chill out, come down music. Nice n relaxing.

14) Nice gentle track with lovely male choir vocals, to finish with. A perfect way to close the mix. The journey is ending. We're on our way home.

Phew! that was quite a journey Captain Kirk. At times, I didn't think we were gonna make it. A very experiental mix, suited to gazing up at the nightime sky or chilling out with a spliff or two (if you like being herbally challenged)  :o Because it's a one track seamless mix, it's not so much about the individual tracks as the overall feel from start to finish. And it works on that count. It flows nicely all the way through .Although I'm very much looking forward to the reveal to find out who they are and so I can  investigate some of the artists more fully. So many thanks fellow traveller, MC Luddite for all the work you put into this mix. I hope you had as much fun making it as I had listening to it.

Merry Christmas and may 2020 be a good one for you and yours.

Congo Bongo (Danny)

Well I, I just came back today.........
I just came back from the storm.
Yeah!

fuctifano

« Reply #23 on: Tue, Dec 24, 2019, 11:04 AM »
Thanks Cameleon for the informative reveal. Lots to follow up on!
It's great to get these mixes, especially at this time of year when we are bombarded with tinsel music!
I like the sound of congo bongos mix as well.

Cheers folks x

Cameleon

« Reply #24 on: Tue, Dec 24, 2019, 14:07 PM »
Me too.  Congo Bongo's mix sounds fabulous and postman pat has just delivered mine too.  Sounds amazing so far and haven't got a clue who any of the artists are.  Loving it already.  Might not be able to upload comments until after Christmas pudding digested but I agree.  What a wonderful season of new music to enthral us all. Happy times.  If any hubbers would like to hear the tracks in the reveal for Fuctifano I can post a link sometime over the holidays.

ravedamage

« Reply #25 on: Tue, Dec 24, 2019, 21:49 PM »
Mix Club 2019 review.........

I've had a good few listens to this mix and am ready to take the plunge and do a review. Most, if not all of the tracks I can't identify, so here goes.

1) Nice mellow, hippie, acoustic + strings intro track. I like this a lot and haven't a clue who it is. It's got a late sixties feel, like Genesis on a good day or an acoustic Family.

I had some big inspiration in the summer, via Boards of Canada's two hour Societas X mixtape on the Warp 30th anniversary NTS-athon...this tune was one of them, a beautiful little Jesus-y number by Blue Aquarius.

2) A more modern beat now. This sounds like it could be Robert Wyatt in a playful mood.

Found this track via Curt Smith on the Twitters earlier this year...mad world. It's a band called Plastic Mermaids, with a live version of their track Alaska. It only exists as a video on Youtubes so this is a rip of that. I'd encourage anyone to watch this vid of them doing this version. I reallly love the megaphone bit, reminds me of Tim Booth back in the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnRTHFZ1bc

3) Are we about to set off in one of Hawkwind's silver machines? Definitely got the 'space travel' vibe. Could it be Tangerine Dream?

Yeah, this does have that feel...another great 2019 find called Movement of Light by Kinbrae. Their LP is inspired by the silvery Tay and its environs and this track is just fudging sublime. The whole LP is great actually...

4) Just returned from a journey in that mythical place called 'outer space'. Back on Earth now with some unaccompanied female singing. It's got a olde English folk feel. Nice and tranquil.

....which leads nicely onto this lady, Catherine Rudie. I used to work with her at DCA back in 1999/2000, so this has some kinship with Kinbrae re: the Tay. She's been in London since the early 00s and has only just brought out her first proper LP, The Mobius Kiss. It is unusual and good....this track, The Air Traffic Controller, is just magic.

5) Oops, back on the spaceship. Why is it every time I enter a spaceship I think of Tangerine Dream? I must be programmed  ::)

That you are...back on the ship that is. This is Melt by Leftfield, something I listened to a couple of months ago and got obsessed with all over again...1995? REALLY??. It's still timeless, and it always feels like it should be a lot longer but is utterly perfect as is, which makes little sense but there ye go.

6) Still got the spacey vibe but we've now stopped of at a docking station / interstellar nightclub,  with a hypnotic bass and drum beat playing in the background.

Aye, we're still up there somewhere...on Luke Abbott's (space) Pavilion, no less.

7) We're still in the futuristic nightclub but this one's got an oriental feel, so this could be somewhere in Tokyo after hours.

Another one I first caught during the Warp Records 30th NTS-athon...heard this on Seefeel's mix and thought it must be them, but it's someone called Sweguno. Has such a chugging, melodic beauty...such a sucker for that Oriental feel it rips off too.

8) Because it is a seamless mix, it's hard at times to tell when tracks start / finish. I think Bjork or Catatonia have taken over the vocals. It's a song about a "vegetable surprise", which would be very interesting as I'm a committed carnivore. But hey, bring it on, I was born to have adventure. This is hypnotic. In the right mood, I could listen to this throbbing beat for hours.

Now I can't unhear Vegetable Surprise, heh. I've been revisiting a lot of old stuff on my commute this past year and this Hooper track is still ace, from their terribly named ShyPoo EP. Shame they never did more than one 7" and a 12". As you've guessed I do really like having tracks that can sit together for a long time...this sits nicely from 25.38, for half a minute or so.

9) Still in the futuristic nightclub, but with new female singers and a more quirky synth sound. Bartender, give me another glass of 'space juice'............quick!  8)

Another oldie from 1999 or 2000, by Simian (of Mobile Disco fame). Always loved their first EP, Drop and Roll is another belter from that. This one is called The Wisp.

10) Back on terra firma now, or so I thought. The intro fooled me. Still quite spacey, but with a disco feel. Imagine the Bee Gees dosed on psychedelic space juice. I could dance to this, with my white suit on (Gram Parsons style) This is fun.

This is also from Boards of Canada's Societas X Mixtape. It came on and I thought this must be some odd Bee Gees studio outtake or something...after about three listens I wondered how I'd managed to live without this outrageously great pop song all my days, so many mad little touches and moments within it. Godlike. Then it got reissued on 12" (still no cheap at £20 but what the hell) and I've caned it ever since. It is SO SO SOOOOO GOOD. Flayer - Wanna Get Back Your Love

11) The weather forecast leading into heavy metal, but now it's like that Elbow block, Guy Garvey with Bevis Frond backing him. This is a great track. The playing, singing, lyrics all good.

Tricky job to get from Flayer to Richard Dawson, but an old geezer reminiscing about Krakatoa erupting seemed to fit the bill (and I already had the dialogue cut up from my failed Fruity Loops adventures of 20 years ago). Anyway, this is Jogging by yer man Dawson, who I had never heard of until I saw the video for Jogging earlier this year. Bought his LP on the strength of that and got to see him live at Rough Trade East for free too. He ended up playing for 70 minutes and Jogging was quite the highlight.

12) This still sounds like Elbow to me, but without Bevis Frond. Echos of King Crimson. Another nice track, but the ending is a wee bit too intense for me.

Aye, gets a bit full on near the end. Another 2019 discovery of something from 2013...happened upon a video of Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and Trent Reznor jamming. It was called Mantra and was an instrumental, from a project called Sound City which Grohl had set up. Turned out there was a proper version done with vocals, which is the one here. The video of the instrumental is worth a look though, such a beautiful, minimalist tune til Trent fucks it up (j/k): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2kGNdE0b5Q

13) A mellow track now with a Peter Gabriel feel. This is after hours, chill out, come down music. Nice n relaxing.

This is Bitter Apple by Dave Gahan, from his first solo LP. Another oldie revisited and still great...the strings, his vox, lovely.

14) Nice gentle track with lovely male choir vocals, to finish with. A perfect way to close the mix. The journey is ending. We're on our way home.

I was privileged to attend the stargaze gig at Leith Theatre in 2018, where they recreated Boards of Canada's Hi Scores EP via traditional instruments. It was incredibly well done and they did a few extra tracks at the end. They finished on this, Olson, and everyone in the audience joined in with the vocal refrain...goosebumpy stuff and a lush thing to have been a part of. Was lucky someone recorded it and stuck it on Soundclonk...lovely to be reminded of it now and again.

Phew! that was quite a journey Captain Kirk. At times, I didn't think we were gonna make it. A very experiental mix, suited to gazing up at the nightime sky or chilling out with a spliff or two (if you like being herbally challenged)  :o Because it's a one track seamless mix, it's not so much about the individual tracks as the overall feel from start to finish. And it works on that count. It flows nicely all the way through .Although I'm very much looking forward to the reveal to find out who they are and so I can  investigate some of the artists more fully. So many thanks fellow traveller, MC Luddite for all the work you put into this mix. I hope you had as much fun making it as I had listening to it.

I did have immense fun putting it together, as always. Do love a bit of Mixclub every year.

Glad you enjoyed it for what it was and that it jumped around enough to keep yer interest, Sir.

Have a super holiday season and all best wishes to ye and yours.

Dave

Merry Christmas and may 2020 be a good one for you and yours.

Congo Bongo (Danny)

Well I, I just came back today.........
I just came back from the storm.
Yeah!

MAMEXTICX MIX

01 Blue Aquarius - At The Feet Of The Master
02 Plastic Mermaids - Alaska (Live From Ventnor)(Youtube Rip)
03 Kinbrae - Movement Of Light
04 Catherine Rudie - The Air Traffic Controller
05 Leftfield - Melt
06 Luke Abbott - Pavilion
07 Sweguno - Wander In Blue
08 Hooper - You, The Night And The Music
09 Simian - The Wisp
10 Unknown - Krakatoa Eruption Reminisces
11 Richard Dawson - Jogging
12 Dave Grohl, Josh Homme & Trent Reznor - Mantra
13 Dave Gahan - Bitter Apple
14 s t a r g a z e - Olson (Live at Leith Theatre 2018)

Also, for anyone interested...here is my mix in playable or downloadable form:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5an37siamebf1hl/AETC%20Mixclub%202019%20%28Take%202%29.mp3?dl=0%20

Congo Bongo

« Reply #26 on: Wed, Dec 25, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Thanks for the reveal, Dave. You really dug deep for this eclectic selection. Have I set a Hub Mix Club record for not even identifying one track? (not even close) :o Thanks so much for introducing me to a raft of choice tracks and artists, hitherto unknown to me.
That's the great thing about the Mix Club; you just never know what your gonna get, and in my experience it's always a delightful surprise. So right now I'm off to check out some of these artists and a purchase or two is at hand. Thanks again Dave for your labour of love in creating this mix.

Danny

PS........will you be having a "Vegetable Surprise" as part of all the trimmings today?  8)

Cameleon

« Reply #27 on: Sat, Dec 28, 2019, 17:49 PM »
Dear Secret Mixer

I was intrigued by the prose accompanying your disc before I even got a chance to play your mix.  Where did this come from?

“In Europe after the reign
It’s time to walk again
It’s time to make our way
Through the fountain squares

And the Collonades

It’s coming from the feel
That this ain’t exactly real
Or it’s real
But it ain’t exactly there

Til’ Albion’s Angel…Smitten
With his own plagues
Fled with his bands”

And now it’s time for the mix itself which, thanks to ScotRail’s replacement bus service, has had further opportunity for close scrutiny.

01   Lovely start to the mix. With a Gibson twang like Duane Eddy on Mandrax..  Dreamy vocals and the track would fit perfectly within a Breaking Bad soundtrack.  Excellent.

02   Sort of Jesus and Mary Chain with a little more melody and some Stuart Adamson style rhythm guitar with descending chords but it’s obviously not them or Big Country.  Nice atmospheric vocals.  Very pleasant indeed.  Great second track.

03   Ooh! I’m a sucker for minor key progressions in instrumentals and that lovely interplay between the rhythms with the percussion playing on the offbeat.  I really like this and I want to know more.

04   A deceiving guitar intro with some atmospheric vox samples and a nice sub bass.  A beautifully chilled track that owes as much to the studio production as it does to the performances….Nice!  I'm in the club, it's about 4am and I'm in the chillout room recovering with Nitin Sawhney.

05   Magnificent.  I kept putting this on repeat.  A beautiful frail vocal and haunting piano intro that builds throughout the composition as more instrumentation is added.  Whoever this is I need to hear more.

06   This is a piece of studio mastery with reggae, toasting samples, dub elements and drum ‘n’bass all rolled into one plus a great tempo change and the whole thing is held together by the guitar chops.  Must be British.  Possibly Bristol or Brighton and created by a DJ/Studio engineer with bags of experience.  Fantastic!  Don’t bogart that spliff!

07   At first I thought this was middle eastern with that Yemen horn but then the Latin American rhythms kick in with that sub bass and the vocals plus a reggae feel and I can’t stop dancing.  I’m guessing Colombian but whatever the country of origin, it’s irrestible.  Great engineering and production.  Possibly assembled by another studio whizzkid?

08   Ah!  A composition I recognise.  It’s “Don’t fear the reaper” originally by Blue Oyster Cult but I’ve no idea who does this cover version.  Nice because it has that slightly rougher on the edges sound.  I’d like to imagine this is how the original sounded before the record label got hold of it to make it acceptable for FM radio.

09   I’ve got a feeling I should know the voice and the rhythm guitar style is familiar.  A lovely arrangement and a real toe tapper.  More information please.

10   Very meditative.  Like a trance on mescaline.  Still haven’t got a clue who this is but I feel like I should be contemplating my navel….in a nice way.

11   Now this is interesting.  Obviously a live recording and I feel like hazarding a guess at Stone the Crows recorded at King Tut’s with that bluesy feel and the female singer sounding like she had gravel mixed with her porridge for breakfast.  Is this a bootleg recording?  There is an announcement at the end that suggests the performers name but I couldn’t catch who it was.

12   Not quite sure about this one.  Decent enough but I kept waiting for something else to happen.  Sounded like the great Del Dettmar of Hawkwind was at the side of the stage tinkering with his electronics in a nice way, which I liked.  Could be a grower and I need to listen to this more often.

13   Almost 18 minutes long and sounded a bit like a cross between Jean Luc Ponty during his funk period and Steve Hillage during his rock phase as the jam progressed through both styles.  The electric violin and guitar solos worked really well and the performances of all the musicians involved were faultless but I had a feeling that as an extended jam they were playing more for their own enjoyment rather than for the listener.  Still good though but I’ve got a feeling that when this was released Punk was waiting around the corner to turn music on it’s head.  That’s what happened to me anyway.  I hope I haven’t let you down with my comments on this one.  I really got into sections of the track in a big way.

So, favourites?  Certainly tracks 1.3,5,6 and 7 and I’m certain that more selections are going to grow on me even more as I am going to be playing this collection throughout 2020.  I can’t wait for the reveal because I genuinely don’t have a Scooby on who I’ve been listening to.  All I know is that I love the disc and I want to thank you so very very much.  You have a great taste in music.

Cheers and Happy New Year

Meic

Sunday_Boy

« Reply #28 on: Sun, Dec 29, 2019, 20:56 PM »
My mix club CD arrived before Christmas disguised in an A4 envelope complete with decoy lined paper and a card with very kind festive greetings. This is my first mix club and I feel I have lucked out early as this is a fabulous, continuous mix from start to finish. All the music was new to me and I will do my best to describe it.

Track one is a wonderful, gentle start with some cowbell and a deep, chocolatey voice which (forgive me) brings South Park’s Chef to mind. The singer informs us wistfully that he was standing tall but now feels his back’s against the wall, and a parallel, treated vocal wails like a guitar, which underlines the point rather well.

This blends seamlessly into track two, which is the instrumental theme to a spaghetti western set in Galway, complete with mandolin, tin whistle and fiddle, and there is a great moment when the Dick Dale guitar kicks in and you can picture the horseback riders galloping into view. There is plenty of haunting whistling and I hope Tarantino will agree to direct the filum.

Track three changes the pace with some languid drums and guitar and the plaintive vocals first made me think of Ryan Adams, but it’s a world-weary voice from deeper south, accompanied by some nice and simple guitar.

Track four quickens the tempo with some Hammond organ and the singer, who reminds me of Jackie Wilson, is losing patience with the synthetic world we’re living in, and gives us the memorable line: “Friendship’s like acid, it burns as it slides away.”

Track five has a passionate vocal that reminds me of Marva Whitney and Lyn Collins, and some funky rhythm guitar that is very reminiscent of Catfish Collins.

Track six is my favourite and starts with some plucked strings and could be the blueprint for Mark Ronson’s production for Amy Winehouse, with some fabulous horns, strings, a simple piano riff and a very funky drummer. The singer is so caught up on you, baby, and makes me picture Shy Baldwin from the Marvellous Mrs Maisel.

Track seven speeds things up with some girl group harmonies, more horns, organ and rhythm guitar, and the lead singer is looking for some advice on what she can do as she is clearly devastated about something.

Track eight is an excellent French language version of Back to Black - a pretty faithful, if not literal, translation - with skanking guitar and a strong dose of scorn.

Track nine is a rootsy reggae version of Dub Be Good To Me, with fabulous trombone and sax, and a significant improvement on the original, which may also have been a cover version of sorts.

Track ten continues in a similar vein with some skanking guitar and a soulful vocal, taking us to a parallel universe where Horace Andy took vocal duties on Be Thankful For What You’ve Got on Blue Lines.

Track eleven is another funky girl group, encouraging us to turn it loose and let our love flow deep and slow, with some futuristic synth sounds to boot.

Track twelve starts with some clanging percussion before some even more futuristic synths and an extraordinary female vocal from a planet I have never visited, which seems to have elements of Middle Eastern, Asian and European languages. Space funk indeed!

This blends very neatly into track thirteen with some wonderful guitar and male vocals that sound possibly southern or west African, and more fabulous horns.

Track fourteen maintains the pace with some Latin-sounding rhythms and a female vocal in another difficult-to-identify language, singing about Africa, accompanied by furious piano, guitar and percussion.

Track fifteen slows things right down for a duet in Spanish between a man and a woman, sounding wistful with strings, twangy and slide guitar, bringing the mix to a beautiful conclusion.

There isn’t a weak track from start to finish and will continue to get a lot of listens in our house. I would say that whoever put the mix together has an ear for distinctive percussion and a fondness for Hammond organ and horns. I would have to guess that the most likely culprit is Whisky Stephen, or possibly a convincing bluff by a successful impersonator. In any event, I am eternally grateful for the effort it must have taken, and am very fortunate to have this mix in my collection.

Happy new year to you all!

fuctifano

« Reply #29 on: Sun, Dec 29, 2019, 21:24 PM »
I just came on to say that was an exceptional mix by ravedamage and I see Sunday boy has reviewed my mix. I'll get a reveal up asap. maybe even tonight. no promises tho.