Author Topic: How is everyone doing?  (Read 695 times)

Jackie

Re: How is everyone doing?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, Mar 26, 2020, 07:26 AM »
Apart from all the folk dying I quite like it.
Shopping is now quite interesting. Managed to get pesto the other day and was really quite excited.
No traffic, wild animals seem happier, kids get a break from the state propaganda they get at school.
But yeah, folk dying is shit.
What he said. Take care everyone x

Congo Bongo

« Reply #16 on: Thu, Mar 26, 2020, 09:10 AM »

I feel like I'm living in a horrible science fiction movie. "Stranger In A Strange Land" is the title that comes to mind. Every time I go out, I keep hoping I'll meet someone, who'll look around cautiously, and whisper to me, "It's OK I Don't Believe It Either." This is the biggest exercise in control and fear mongering that's ever been inflicted on the human race. But I'm with Fuctifano on this, "folk dying is shit"

MirrorMan

« Reply #17 on: Thu, Mar 26, 2020, 09:47 AM »
I'm old enough to remember the Cuban missile crisis, picking up from adults the sickening fear of a nuclear holocaust that stalked the land for a few days.

That was a short sprint to terror - this, a marathon to................... where? :(

Jackie

« Reply #18 on: Thu, Mar 26, 2020, 16:07 PM »
I'm not convinced it is an exercise in fear mongering although that's what I thought initially.
The number of people dying in Italy and Spain is scary and the potential for the NHS to become overwhelmed is pretty real at which point people will be dying who normally wouldn't and not just of this virus.
Having said all that I don't think it's a bad thing for us to be forced to slow down, stop exploitative tourism and not always be able to get what we want exactly when we want it.

thebot

« Reply #19 on: Thu, Mar 26, 2020, 17:43 PM »
Hope everyone is as good as can be.  Iíve been working from home for three weeks now, bit weird but getting used to it now.  Iíve had two jams over Skype with my father in law, Skype is a bit shit for it but itís a good laugh.  Having a virtual pub quiz with some mates at the weekend too.  My social life has gone through the roof   ;D

Just trying to keep a lid on my paranoia being a diabetic.  Itís shit being scared of being outdoors.

thebot

« Reply #20 on: Thu, Mar 26, 2020, 17:44 PM »
Also - getting to listen to hunners of records while working is shit hot, have to say.  :D

ayjayemm

« Reply #21 on: Thu, Mar 26, 2020, 18:31 PM »
 So far, out here on the island, we're okay. Although being a postman feels like a slighty more risky occupation than it used to be (especially with the HUGE (irony) amount of help, supprt and PPE we're getting from Royal Mail - A memo telling us not to share vans ans keep social distance; that's it). Luckily, we're having a spell of amazing weather at the moment, so Ester and I can get out for a good long walk in the evenings when I get home.
 Thankfully, outdoors has not been cancelled,  Mull is very beautiful, and the birds are still singing. There is a slight 'last man on the planet' feel as I drive around deserted roads in the post van, but in the villages folk are still having a blether ( at a safe distance) as they wait to go in the shop ( only three at a time, a strict 'one out - one in' policy). No-one seems to be being a dick and panic buying, so, so far so good (for a finite amount of good).
 I'm very aware that (as long as folk stay well) we're in a better case than many. The worry is if folk do get sick, there is virtually no provision for them.
 But, we have music, we have books, we have movies, we have food, we have drink, we have the unending spectacle of goodness that is nature.
 Stay safe, hub-buddies; I want to see all of you on the other side of this. X

LynneL

« Reply #22 on: Thu, Mar 26, 2020, 18:50 PM »
I'm also glad that Stephen started this thread. A bit of camaraderie is very welcome.

I'm a translator and always work from home so less of a wrench for me, but all of my work, really ALL of it, over the last few weeks has been related to the virus, mainly communications from French companies to their employees and clients, or advice to people who are stuck abroad and can't get home. All highly depressing but I suppose it might be helping some folk.

Probably drinking more than usual in the evening and hoping not to run out...  :P Cheers all!

Lynne xx

Dubster

« Reply #23 on: Thu, Mar 26, 2020, 19:55 PM »
I havent been on here for a while either.  Life in London has been surreal for the past two weeks.  Those of us who believed the science have been taking precautionary measures for weeks, whilst most around us just thought it was all a load of fuss about nothing.  The majority of those folk have now got the message in my area but there are still plenty of idiots out there NOT social distancing, which infuriates me.  The virus has killed the loved ones of two people I know in the past day and my daughter's flatmate now has the symptoms and my brother-in-law has been pretty Ill, with the rest of the family also infected.  They should be ok, but the fear is still in the back of your mind as you wait for daily news. So its pretty crap.  Nature, music, Mr D, my son and my pets are keeping me sane.  Stay safe everyone and see you on the other side - I will be rushing up to Fife as soon as I'm allowed to hug my 81 year old Mum who lives alone.  Hopefully my timing will coincide with some of you lovely folk being there too xxxx

czefski

« Reply #24 on: Thu, Mar 26, 2020, 21:20 PM »
Went food shopping in Dundee after work. I saw a woman wearing a face mask, fair enough I thought, you can never be too sure. On leaving the supermarket she saw a friend, pulled off her mask and gave them a big hug. Not sure sheís thought that through.

santaci

« Reply #25 on: Fri, Mar 27, 2020, 22:43 PM »
2 weeks self quarantine in west LA coming to an end, in time for 3+++ weeks of working from home (same as quarantine, just not bricking it over symptoms).

Really pissed off as I was supposed to be trekking in Granada with Mrs S this week, now don't know if I'll see her before the autumn. At least we're all safe, and the shops are stocked. Except for the gun shops, which are running out of automatics and ammo, that's really fucking reassuring.

Listening to a lot of Gloryhammer, that's always good to cheer you up. Hail to Crail!

Glyn

« Reply #26 on: Sat, Mar 28, 2020, 09:32 AM »
Hi folks, greetings from Leicester. So far I'm doing Ok but working in the NHS isn't doing my sanity any good! I can't say too much in detail but this week we ripped up the rule book overnight and it's been a steep learning curve. I'm only in admin but it's definitely been scary having constant patient face to face contact but it's my job and I do it until I'm told I don't have to. Hope you're all doing as well as can be expected and listening to as much music as possible. I'll get back up the East Neuk again one day!

Jackie

« Reply #27 on: Sat, Mar 28, 2020, 14:14 PM »
Hi folks, greetings from Leicester. So far I'm doing Ok but working in the NHS isn't doing my sanity any good! I can't say too much in detail but this week we ripped up the rule book overnight and it's been a steep learning curve. I'm only in admin but it's definitely been scary having constant patient face to face contact but it's my job and I do it until I'm told I don't have to. Hope you're all doing as well as can be expected and listening to as much music as possible. I'll get back up the East Neuk again one day!
Massive respect Glyn, look after yourself.

Glyn

« Reply #28 on: Sat, Mar 28, 2020, 14:26 PM »
Massive respect Glyn, look after yourself.

Thanks Jackie, Hope Paul and yourself are well. It's been far too long since I saw you both.

whiskeypriest

« Reply #29 on: Sat, Mar 28, 2020, 16:49 PM »
Hope everyone is as good as can be.  Iíve been working from home for three weeks now, bit weird but getting used to it now.  Iíve had two jams over Skype with my father in law, Skype is a bit shit for it but itís a good laugh.  Having a virtual pub quiz with some mates at the weekend too.  My social life has gone through the roof   ;D

Just trying to keep a lid on my paranoia being a diabetic.  Itís shit being scared of being outdoors.

It is distressing being on the "high risk" list due to Type 1 diabetes.  Any sickness goes on and on, and clearly this is an illness one doesn't want to linger.

I reflect on how fortunate my family and I are.  Our greatest problems are merely being inconvenienced.  We are used to going to dinner, to the park, to the record store, and to the homes of friends and family.  Now we are "stuck" inside and are stir-crazy.  How lucky we are to have time to be a family, to take walks and see the beauty we often take for granted. How lucky to be able to buy groceries and have them delivered to our home.  How lucky my wife and I are to continue to be paid by our school district, despite not being at school or having students in class.

It is definitely a serious issue and condition we face.  My wife has a student who exposed her entire school.  2 weeks later his caretaker, his grandmother, was one of the first to be hospitalized.  Her lungs filled and she was put into an induced coma.  She's 56.  Only 7 years older than me.

One of our most enjoyable activities, thus far, has been playing games such as Taboo, Yahtzee, etc., with friends via FaceTime or Skype. It has been a good time to catch up on music making and listening to music.

I haven't been on the Hub near as long as most of you.  It has been wonderful reading your thoughts and experiences during this surreal time.  I feel closer to you, and I look forward to meeting you, and spending some time together, when I finally make it over.  August is my hope.

My wife is a 4th grade teacher and I am a 5th grade teacher.  We are experienced with online learning. If we can be of assistance to any of you, please let me know.

Continued health and patience to you all.