Author Topic: End of an Era  (Read 353 times)

czefski

End of an Era
« on: Sun, Sep 13, 2020, 09:20 AM »
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/1573948/when-the-musics-over-heartbreak-as-grouchos-era-comes-to-an-end-after-four-decades-in-dundee/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Terribly sad news about Grouchos, Iíve been going there since it was in the Perth Road, flicking through the records and fanzines. Picked up many a bargain over the years.

Captain Geeko

• Captain Geeko's Recording Emporium
Re: End of an Era
« Reply #1 on: Sun, Sep 13, 2020, 13:08 PM »
I got a lot of badges and patches for my denim jacket from the Perth Road shop way back in 1979!
It is a shame indeed - last couple of years I've spent occasional lunchtimes just browsing but really just enjoying the atmosphere of the place.
One of the most pleasurable smells is that of old vinyl records.

changing stations

« Reply #2 on: Mon, Sep 14, 2020, 10:49 AM »
Article quotes his nephew Chae Strathie, unless I'm mistaken that will be the Sunday Post journalist, children's author and the fine jovial chap who used to go under the name Crivvens back in the days of the Beefboard.

fuctifano

« Reply #3 on: Tue, Sep 15, 2020, 15:00 PM »
Crivvens was in my top 5 favourite posters on the beef.

ravedamage

« Reply #4 on: Tue, Sep 15, 2020, 23:44 PM »
So sad to hear, but nice that Moog and Co are gonna try a new venue. Was such a wonderful wee shop...first happened upon it in the early 90s when it was the tiny Overgate iteration. So many amazing DJ promos found for £1.50 or whatever...still have a few 12"s where the sticker was removed, way back then, but their florid scribble is indented forever. (That elongated £ sign, eeesh) Also have a few 7"s & LPs with the printed Grouchos £1.00 or 50p sticker too. Met Breeks many a time, seemed like such a warm and lovely man. He and Frank bought a load of crap off me, for sure. Best find ever (which I only discovered about 3 years ago) was a Lloyd Cole 'Forest Fire' 7"...turned out it had Lloyd's autograph (and another Commotion, as yet unidentified) on the inside of the gatefold. Sometimes, it is just lovely to be a fudging nerd. Last time I ventured there was in 2018, visiting the new V&A with my Maw and the 3 year old. Took him in and he was intrigued, but mair perturbed by 'the smell'. That fudgin plywood. Anyway, aye, raising a beer DD1-wards...

ayjayemm

« Reply #5 on: Wed, Sep 16, 2020, 00:33 AM »
 I was in there in June last year; on my way to Comielaw for the 'KK1J-Day'. I bought a bunch of 7"s and an 8-track cartridge for £3. I don't have an 8-track player (an obsolete format too far, even for me) but it's such a cool looking thing; a chunky avocado green plastic wedge that gets rammed into a console like an old Atari game. And it's Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell; one of the greatest songs ever. The loss of any record shop is a sadness, but to lose an icon that's helped generations of music lovers find that one special thing they didn't even know they were searching for.... That's a tragedy.

funky_nomad

« Reply #6 on: Wed, Sep 16, 2020, 11:29 AM »
Crivvens was in my top 5 favourite posters on the beef.
You managed a Top 5 from that den of miscreants and ne'er-do-wells???

Low standards, I reckon...

stephen

« Reply #7 on: Wed, Sep 16, 2020, 16:54 PM »
Article quotes his nephew Chae Strathie, unless I'm mistaken that will be the Sunday Post journalist, children's author and the fine jovial chap who used to go under the name Crivvens back in the days of the Beefboard.

Never forget also a star of Location Location Location.

Congo Bongo

« Reply #8 on: Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 08:19 AM »
It was always an experience visiting Grouchos. This was one of my fond memories (from the 'Dinnae Ask' on their website)

After selling a batch of CD's a crusty ginger geezer produces an equally crusty CD from his pocket.
C: Are you interested in this interactive Limp Biscuit CD Rom thing?
S: Not really.
C: Are you sure?
He then opens it up - there is no CD inside - only a soggy digestive with a hole carefully crafted from the centre to form a neat fit.

That's the edited version. It was actually a lot funnier than that. Happy days  ;D