Author Topic: An Tobar  (Read 1215 times)

Cameleon

An Tobar
« on: Sun, Jan 17, 2021, 09:06 AM »
Celtic Connections are holding an online gig on 24th January which includes a set featuring Sorren, Hannah and Maireread.  Tickets are only £7 and they are going to make the night available for streaming for a week so any international hubbers won't miss out.  I'm longing for the day when we can see them in the flesh at Futtle along with both halves of Bhoy Gull but until then it looks like magic.
This is the link
https://www.celticconnections.com/event/1/the-secret-sisters-kinnaris-quintet-an-tobar-presents

Hopefully see you there?

ayjayemm

Re: An Tobar
« Reply #1 on: Sun, Jan 17, 2021, 12:29 PM »
 We'll be there (obvs!)

Also coming up on An Tobars' own lockdown stream is a filmed performance by PHA11's very own Pumpkinseeds (on February 4th); info on An Tobar's website (comar.co.uk) . There's also links to previous performances, etc.

Just trying to keep the best venue/ recording studio/ gallery space/ cafe/ shop on the west coast afloat!!!

Lavinia

« Reply #2 on: Sun, Jan 17, 2021, 23:28 PM »
Itís £40 for the pass that lets you see all the Celtic connections concerts well worth the money some great acts all in the comfort of your living room.

Glyn

« Reply #3 on: Mon, Jan 18, 2021, 11:05 AM »
Itís £40 for the pass that lets you see all the Celtic connections concerts well worth the money some great acts all in the comfort of your living room.
It's great value, really enjoying it so far; RANT and Kinnaris Quintet have been my highlights over the weekend.

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #4 on: Mon, Jan 18, 2021, 15:30 PM »
My highlight, the jazz pianist Fergus McCreadie last night.    plays like a demon.

Cameleon

« Reply #5 on: Mon, Jan 18, 2021, 17:55 PM »
Such a shame I missed it.
Also coming up and only a fiver if we don't have a pass for the whole lot....Peat and Diesel are headlining this gig on the 27th at 7.00 GMT

https://www.celticconnections.com/event/1/home-on-the-sea

ayjayemm

« Reply #6 on: Mon, Jan 18, 2021, 19:23 PM »
Fergus McCreadie is astounding! He played at An Tobar in 2019. We were utterlt spellbound for two hours. His album 'Turas' is well worth purchasing. :) :)

Cameleon

« Reply #7 on: Mon, Jan 18, 2021, 20:00 PM »
I've just finished watching the McCreadie trio play a set at the jazz festival.  So melodic.  Plus Stephen Henderson is an amazing drummer  and they are so young.  Thanks for putting me on to him ayjayemm.

Lando Cakes

« Reply #8 on: Mon, Jan 18, 2021, 20:14 PM »
Another Fergus McCreadie fan here. His weekly live-streamed improvisations got me through the first part of last year. Magical.

Cameleon

« Reply #9 on: Mon, Jan 18, 2021, 20:51 PM »
Reminds me of the first time I saw Chick Corea.

ayjayemm

« Reply #10 on: Mon, Jan 18, 2021, 22:42 PM »
I've just finished watching the McCreadie trio play a set at the jazz festival.  So melodic.  Plus Stephen Henderson is an amazing drummer  and they are so young.  Thanks for putting me on to him ayjayemm.

We watched that, too!! Didn't want it to end...
 Ester is very fond of telling her tale of just wandering into a pub in Glasgow (The Butterfly & Pig on Bath St) only to discover it was their jazz night, only to discover Mr MacCreadie was the impromptu band leader for the entire evening, as seemingly all the young jazz players fron the Conservatory showed off their skills. I was at home on Mull. Pouting.

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #11 on: Wed, Jan 20, 2021, 00:12 AM »
I know this is An Tobar, but I'm continuing the Celtic Connections comments here out of laziness.   Hello Gogs.

Monday night was a bit of a car crash, Rab Noakes and that.  Last night was better, liked Breabach a lot, Celtic AND interesting.   Liked the Birmingham folkie Katherine Priddy.   Apparently she went to the isle of Eigg and got involved in some weird cult out there.  Clearly been brainwashed but lucky to have managed to escape if you ask me.  Whoops, here's my bus.....

czefski

« Reply #12 on: Wed, Jan 20, 2021, 08:57 AM »
I bought the early bird pass bt to be honest have only watched the opening gig and skimmed through the Saturday stuff, which didn't really float my boat. Looking forward to Admiral Fallow and Elephant Sessions.

whiskeypriest

« Reply #13 on: Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 19:56 PM »
Mairearadís short set was incredible. Such beauty, and positivity. Happy to have shared the moment with any and all watching.

whiskeypriest

« Reply #14 on: Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 20:12 PM »
Sorren & Hannahís set was equally spellbinding. My 7 year-old son asked, ďWhat is this Dad? Itís good music!Ē