Author Topic: An Tobar  (Read 1218 times)

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
Re: An Tobar
« Reply #15 on: Mon, Jan 25, 2021, 21:53 PM »
Just had a laugh watching James Grant - he now sings like the bastard lovechild of Tony Hadley and Saruman - and wearing a cravat too.

The Glasgow Herald music critic

Cameleon

« Reply #16 on: Mon, Jan 25, 2021, 22:24 PM »
Ok I agree about the cravat and I said the same thing to Mrs C about the Tony Hadley impression but I enjoyed the gig and I thought the string and piano arrangements were a nice change from the originals I remembered.  Looking forward to the Roots Revue night and beginning to think I should have got a festival pass after all.  Perhaps I should start wearing a cravat......or perhaps Knot.

Cameleon

« Reply #17 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 09:08 AM »
And another appearance from Sorren, albeit in a supporting role.
I've only just caught up with BBC Scotland's Burns Night on iplayer and he is playing acoustic guitar with the SSO backing  Eddi Reader.  Donald Shaw has obviously taken notice of his wonderful talent.  Long overdue.  Don't forget that KC introduced us to Sorren's talent at the ENH over three years ago!

czefski

« Reply #18 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 10:00 AM »
3 years? I remember Sorren playing at the Bunfight in Crail Legion Hall 8 years ago.

Cameleon

« Reply #19 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Too true.  My error.  Makes me wish we had moved here from London years earlier.  We also missed lots of Homegames.  I was referring to the international attention Sorren is getting on mainstream tv at last even though he has featured at Celtic Connection fringe events for several years.

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #20 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 15:25 PM »
3 years? I remember Sorren playing at the Bunfight in Crail Legion Hall 8 years ago.

I don't remember Sorren at the Bunfight, but to borrow the old saying about the sixties, if you can remember the Bunfight, you weren't there!  I'm sure I remember him and Hannah in the Dreel Halls too but god knows when.

I remember him for sure at the World Tour of Mull in 2014.

Leckers

« Reply #21 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 16:38 PM »
snap. i remember you
at the world tour. man,
that was some few days.

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #22 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 18:39 PM »
yeah I remember bumping into you at about 5 in the morning after the last gig (we were getting the early morning Oban ferry), I said 'your'e up early', and you said 'no, haven't been to bed yet'.  You were savouring the morning, having enjoyed yourself so much you didn't want to go to bed.  - apart from the fact you weren't long out of An Tobar! 

Fantastic landscape, great music, the sunset at the castle, swimming in Calgary Bay, sharing a beer with the czefskis and the Jackie Johnsons mid island with golden eagles wheeling above.  The only disappointment was missing the gig in the woodland hut cos the battery chucked it on our hired camper.  All magic.

czefski

« Reply #23 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 20:20 PM »

I don't remember Sorren at the Bunfight, but to borrow the old saying about the sixties, if you can remember the Bunfight, you weren't there!  I'm sure I remember him and Hannah in the Dreel Halls too but god knows when.

There was much swooning from the female contingent when the tight-jeaned young troubadour entered stage right.

That Bunfight was quite an event, fuelled by out of date strawberry beer.

The World Tour of Crail was an all-timer, loved every minute of it.

czefski

« Reply #24 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 20:26 PM »
I’ve just watched Admiral Fallow’s Celtic Connections set from Saturday for the second time, highlight of the festival thus far, no offence to the excellent An Tobar contingent. Coincidentally AF also played at the aforementioned Bunfight.

I’m pretty sure that Bunfight ended with Ziggy having a real fight with a guy who claimed to be Kenny’s cousin, although I may be getting my Crail nights mixed up.

stephen

« Reply #25 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 20:45 PM »

There was much swooning from the female contingent when the tight-jeaned young troubadour entered stage right.

That Bunfight was quite an event, fuelled by out of date strawberry beer.

The World Tour of Crail was an all-timer, loved every minute of it.

Short dated, not technically out of date x

kwaing

« Reply #26 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 21:43 PM »
It is now though, but as delicious as ever. Only a few cases left alas.

Leckers

« Reply #27 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 22:09 PM »
yeah I remember bumping into you at about 5 in the morning after the last gig (we were getting the early morning Oban ferry), I said 'your'e up early', and you said 'no, haven't been to bed yet'.  You were savouring the morning, having enjoyed yourself so much you didn't want to go to bed.  - apart from the fact you weren't long out of An Tobar! 

Fantastic landscape, great music, the sunset at the castle, swimming in Calgary Bay, sharing a beer with the czefskis and the Jackie Johnsons mid island with golden eagles wheeling above.  The only disappointment was missing the gig in the woodland hut cos the battery chucked it on our hired camper.  All magic.

yeah I remember it well - great
days. we missed the hut gig too
somehow.

Leckers

« Reply #28 on: Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 22:15 PM »
I’ve just watched Admiral Fallow’s Celtic Connections set from Saturday for the second time, highlight of the festival thus far, no offence to the excellent An Tobar contingent. Coincidentally AF also played at the aforementioned Bunfight.

I’m pretty sure that Bunfight ended with Ziggy having a real fight with a guy who claimed to be Kenny’s cousin, although I may be getting my Crail nights mixed up.

ha that was some night. he was
a curly headed dude who seemed
fine in the pub before he turned
whacko and started abusing nicola
and her hubbie. wayne knocked
him down and set him straight. i
mind being in kenny’s afterwards
and the wee prick turned up at the
front door with the young crail team.
fanny.

stephen

« Reply #29 on: Fri, Jan 29, 2021, 21:28 PM »

ha that was some night. he was
a curly headed dude who seemed
fine in the pub before he turned
whacko and started abusing nicola
and her hubbie. wayne knocked
him down and set him straight. i
mind being in kenny’s afterwards
and the wee prick turned up at the
front door with the young crail team.
fanny.

As someone who was relatively sober that night, i have quite a different recollection of some of that story.