Author Topic: F.A.Q.s (from 2 or less people)  (Read 6284 times)

czefski

Re: F.A.Q.s (from 2 or less people)
« Reply #15 on: Fri, Jan 29, 2021, 22:25 PM »
Has covid-19 or Brexit had a detrimental effect on your farm?

kwaing

« Reply #16 on: Fri, Jan 29, 2021, 22:37 PM »
aff the tap o my heid...

1. does een know about pie in the sky?

The phrase ‘pie in the sky’? I’m sure he does, nothing to see/hear etc.

2. was there a particular moment that
you realised the fence thing was fucked?
or was it a gradual realisation that it wasn’t
going the way you envisaged.

If by ‘the fence thing’ you mean Fence Records Ltd., then at the end of its first year of business I wrote a very long and detailed email to ‘those’ concerned as to why I could no longer carry on in such an enterprise. That email, and many of those that followed, are best left for my, or my heir’s, memoirs methinks. I consider it a huge relief that fence has reverted to what it was in the early years, i.e. a label for my music and that of family and friends, and on that ‘score’ there’s hopefully plenty more to come.

3. will there ever be a kc hms g duet album?
as everyone knows love + hate is a fucking
masterpiece.

HMS G has just this minute pointed out that at no time during the making of Love Plus Hate were her and I in the same room at the same time, and despite my many collaborations over the years she maintains to this day that I am impossible to work with.

4. have you ever considered doing more
kompanion sets for your albums? the pf
c06 is one of my most played kc discs.

I ought to record a Kompanion Cet for Blue On Yellow and release it ahead of the actual album - this very much appeals to my sense of orderly chaos, thanks for that Lex.

5. you like to reinterpret your own work.
any plans to revisit classics the soak and
jack shit.

To be honest I haven’t considered those two, yet again ably demonstrating that my idea of a kc classic differs from everyone else’s. For example in the Diamond Mine 2 discussion not one person suggested Altar Baiting James, the only song of mine that JH was keen to have a crack at in the wake of the Jubilee edition. It was going to get the full choir treatment.

Since my year out in 2017, that kept on going until March 2020 pretty much, I’ve all but shaken off the pressure to write songs, and in their stead have written and recorded more music than at any time other than 2002’s 6 albums or whatever. If i’m given the chance to record an album worthy of a ‘proper’ release, 8 or 9 songs instead of rambling tape loops and modular synth hiccups, then reworking the back catalogue might be my only option.

Good questions Leckers, you definitely haven’t given up the day job  :)

kwaing

« Reply #17 on: Fri, Jan 29, 2021, 22:39 PM »
when you get a bit of time after answering leckers theres this:
I was singing the lines
 “now’s the time to throw yourselves at me
  oh wives of the footloose and fancy free”

from the JY song “Marriagewreckers”, not thinking for one second anyone would take it quite so literally.

Kim’s husband was very nice about it, and the 3 of us settled down for a few years up near Auchmithie.

I know fine you would never finish a gig with a JY song so that's a filthy fib!

I did live in a commune in Auchmithie for a few years around that time with several wives and I remember you zooming around on a motorcycle, all three of you. Happy days.

Now you’re the one fibbing - it was a motorbike and sidecar.

Leckers

« Reply #18 on: Fri, Jan 29, 2021, 23:14 PM »
aff the tap o my heid...

1. does een know about pie in the sky?

The phrase ‘pie in the sky’? I’m sure he does, nothing to see/hear etc.

2. was there a particular moment that
you realised the fence thing was fucked?
or was it a gradual realisation that it wasn’t
going the way you envisaged.

If by ‘the fence thing’ you mean Fence Records Ltd., then at the end of its first year of business I wrote a very long and detailed email to ‘those’ concerned as to why I could no longer carry on in such an enterprise. That email, and many of those that followed, are best left for my, or my heir’s, memoirs methinks. I consider it a huge relief that fence has reverted to what it was in the early years, i.e. a label for my music and that of family and friends, and on that ‘score’ there’s hopefully plenty more to come.

3. will there ever be a kc hms g duet album?
as everyone knows love + hate is a fucking
masterpiece.

HMS G has just this minute pointed out that at no time during the making of Love Plus Hate were her and I in the same room at the same time, and despite my many collaborations over the years she maintains to this day that I am impossible to work with.

4. have you ever considered doing more
kompanion sets for your albums? the pf
c06 is one of my most played kc discs.

I ought to record a Kompanion Cet for Blue On Yellow and release it ahead of the actual album - this very much appeals to my sense of orderly chaos, thanks for that Lex.

5. you like to reinterpret your own work.
any plans to revisit classics the soak and
jack shit.

To be honest I haven’t considered those two, yet again ably demonstrating that my idea of a kc classic differs from everyone else’s. For example in the Diamond Mine 2 discussion not one person suggested Altar Baiting James, the only song of mine that JH was keen to have a crack at in the wake of the Jubilee edition. It was going to get the full choir treatment.

Since my year out in 2017, that kept on going until March 2020 pretty much, I’ve all but shaken off the pressure to write songs, and in their stead have written and recorded more music than at any time other than 2002’s 6 albums or whatever. If i’m given the chance to record an album worthy of a ‘proper’ release, 8 or 9 songs instead of rambling tape loops and modular synth hiccups, then reworking the back catalogue might be my only option.

Good questions Leckers, you definitely haven’t given up the day job  :)

ha yeah, day job still intact.
bills need paying you know.

2 - i just meant the fence thing
as a concept not just the company
bit. to this layman i knew the game
was up when the homegame split
over two weekends and then there
was the one with official doormen
with yellow vests on. those first few
homegames were a dream in comparison.

3 - yeah i know you never recorded
together as it were, but we all hope
jen comes out of retirement someday.
and what better way than an album
together. she probably hates the idea.
in fact i think i can hear her internal
scream from here.

4 - love that idea. get on it.

5 - we could be here all day going over
songs for a new diamond mine. there’s
so many beauts hidden away in the myriad
of albums you’ve released.

but yeah, the soak and jack shit do it for me.

Oh and number 6 while I’m here:

there must be so much pigeon music
hidden away in boxes under your bed.
would he mind us hearing some of it?

Leckers

« Reply #19 on: Sat, Jan 30, 2021, 00:23 AM »
7 - you once said you were
like henry. who is henry?

the waltzer version is great
but i think the b side to home
in a sentence beats it. just.

Jackie

« Reply #20 on: Sat, Jan 30, 2021, 08:31 AM »
I loved the Bits of Strange songs especially Swallow Dive (if I have the song title right?) Any likelihood of new versions of them?
Will tickets be made available for the 'live' March event? Can't really justify a monthly subscription to anything at the moment sadly.

I had forgotten all about Kimmers, she disappeared from the scene as abruptly as she arrived!

kwaing

« Reply #21 on: Sat, Jan 30, 2021, 12:56 PM »
Has covid-19 or Brexit had a detrimental effect on your farm?

Quite the opposite. I am currently quarrying sand on Rassvet, a Russian map, in a working bubble of one. What with sand deliveries from Leuchars getting caught up in red tape at the European ports it would appear the Finns’ sand timer industry would rather buy their tiny amounts of fine grained sand from me now. Alas, my sand is of a lower grade and now all their fairy cakes are coming out of the ovens slightly burnt.

kwaing

« Reply #22 on: Sat, Jan 30, 2021, 13:31 PM »

We peaked at HG2, the one I remember absolutely nothing about, after which Fife Council upheld a single unsubstantiated complaint and then did their best to move the whole event to Rothes Halls. The resulting furore brought us a lot of attention, the wrong sort and mostly unwelcome as far as I was concerned. After HG3 I championed the smaller, more manageable event every other year, and when that became too much of a battle tried to put on a smaller event within the bigger event, such as the Bits of Strange in the ‘room upstairs’.

Having played a lot of festivals, an HG worst of still ranks higher than most  ;)

I like to think that the Haarfests, Bunfights and the World Tours picked up where HG left off.

[/quote]

Two words - Concubine Rice - an experience neither I, nor Gummi, would ever want to repeat. Having said that I went back to the boxes 18 months ago and worked on a couple of things, more music to gather dust on the shelf.

kwaing

« Reply #23 on: Sat, Jan 30, 2021, 13:34 PM »

Henry is the time travelling husband in the book ‘the time traveller’s wife’. The b side you mention has world class players all over it, the original just me.

kwaing

« Reply #24 on: Sat, Jan 30, 2021, 13:38 PM »
I loved the Bits of Strange songs especially Swallow Dive (if I have the song title right?) Any likelihood of new versions of them?
Will tickets be made available for the 'live' March event?

As it happens somebody living close by is recording the 20th Bit Of Strange as I type. No tickets as such, but we’ll try to figure a way in which each tier gets a proportional chunk of the ‘gig’, and then afterwards figure out a way for folks to view the entire year’s “highlights”.

Jackie

« Reply #25 on: Sat, Jan 30, 2021, 13:45 PM »
Brilliant, thanks Kwaing. Hope you and yours are all staying well and relatively sane. We miss the Neuk x

Jackie

« Reply #26 on: Sat, Jan 30, 2021, 13:52 PM »
Also Mull was one of my favourite weeks ever. Company, music, scenery it was all perfect.
Although there was that terrifying night when we all had to drive across the island in dense fog, highland coos and sheep not to mention hair pin bends looming out of nowhere!

Leckers

« Reply #27 on: Sat, Jan 30, 2021, 14:24 PM »

We peaked at HG2, the one I remember absolutely nothing about, after which Fife Council upheld a single unsubstantiated complaint and then did their best to move the whole event to Rothes Halls. The resulting furore brought us a lot of attention, the wrong sort and mostly unwelcome as far as I was concerned. After HG3 I championed the smaller, more manageable event every other year, and when that became too much of a battle tried to put on a smaller event within the bigger event, such as the Bits of Strange in the ‘room upstairs’.

Having played a lot of festivals, an HG worst of still ranks higher than most  ;)

I like to think that the Haarfests, Bunfights and the World Tours picked up where HG left off.

Two words - Concubine Rice - an experience neither I, nor Gummi, would ever want to repeat. Having said that I went back to the boxes 18 months ago and worked on a couple of things, more music to gather dust on the shelf.
[/quote]

i shall keep my digits crossed
that we mere mortals get to
hear some of that very soon.
dust or no dust.

and yeah, we miss those little
festivals so much. at the time,
i don’t think we realised how
lucky we were.

Leckers

« Reply #28 on: Sat, Jan 30, 2021, 14:41 PM »

Henry is the time travelling husband in the book ‘the time traveller’s wife’. The b side you mention has world class players all over it, the original just me.

gotcha. not a tome i
am that familiar with.

Leckers

« Reply #29 on: Sat, Jan 30, 2021, 14:45 PM »
Also Mull was one of my favourite weeks ever. Company, music, scenery it was all perfect.
Although there was that terrifying night when we all had to drive across the island in dense fog, highland coos and sheep not to mention hair pin bends looming out of nowhere!

yeah jackie, that week was
something very special. it
was a tough time for me
personally and that week
was a real tonic. probably
never to be repeated..