Author Topic: F.A.Q.s (from 2 or less people)  (Read 6290 times)

Deegers

Re: F.A.Q.s (from 2 or less people)
« Reply #240 on: Mon, Mar 01, 2021, 13:28 PM »
Why is the world interested in techno sea shanties and whether Mogwai have a number one album? That question to anyone.

I draw the line at #maximopark4number1 though.

Leckers

« Reply #241 on: Mon, Mar 01, 2021, 20:23 PM »
and back on topic...

it’s very rare you use
profanities in your lyrics
so it must have been
a conscious decision to
use the c word on how
i won my stripes. what
made you feel the need
to be so ruthless for that
song?

i’d also like to hear any
other thoughts on the
writing/recording process
of that one.

Saw Circular Prowess has a few Fs in the chorus. Less is more when it comes to swearing, though, and with so many songs I reckon the average use of a swearie is still pretty low ... um, Gran ...

I was invited over to play a festival in Rennes, 2011 I think, and I overheard a priest singing prayers so snuck in and recorded him on my phone. Around that time i’d been reading a Patrick O’Brien novel and learned that the phrase ‘how I won my stripes’ referred to the lash and not to the armbands that denote the promotion of corporals, sergeants etc. in the army as I previously thought. So as not to waste all those years of ignorance, I mixed both of these ideas in with a bit of, well, you know, marital grief of some sort, and because I already had lines ending in ‘hunt’ and ‘gun’, I couldn’t resist singing the C word with a hymn in the background for maximum shock value. Since meeting HMS G in 2002 i’ve more than once tried to pen a song that’s as economic with words yet still as powerful as ‘and the racket they made’, and this is one of my better attempts:-

I am no longer on the hunt
But I still end up with notches on my gun
You have friends that I despise
Well they think that i’m a c*nt
They can think what they like
They know nothing of my life
And how I’ve come undone
Nor how I won my stripes.

Something like that.

Had a search through my KC archive and this track only appears on the Jokes 7", is that right?
(At least, this is the only version I hae)

As far as I can hear, the Jokes version goes like this:

I am no longer on the hunt
And I still end up with notches on my gun
(And(?)) you have friends that I despise
Yes they think that I'm a cunt
Well they can think what they like
'cause they know nothing of my life
And how I came undone
Nor how I won my stripes

Stirring stuff, would love to hear other versions of it (if there are any).

yeah criminal the only version
is hidden away on the jokes
disc. there’s a lovely live version
from a marc riley radio session
where kc changes the offending
word to unkind - ala vice like.

h1e2l3l4o

« Reply #242 on: Wed, Mar 03, 2021, 14:46 PM »
I realise this may be cleared up elsewhere but...
..who/what is Ootwins? Is this a Pip Dylan album? A King Creosote album? A Collab? ...other? ...secret...?
Loving it all the same!

kwaing

« Reply #243 on: Wed, Mar 03, 2021, 18:18 PM »
I realise this may be cleared up elsewhere but...
..who/what is Ootwins? Is this a Pip Dylan album? A King Creosote album? A Collab? ...other? ...secret...?
Loving it all the same!

Another incarnation of Pip Dylan, yes, short for ‘one of the twins’. There’s a part 2 that was to be housed in a gypsy caravan, but he’s gone and changed his mind and wants to add in more music of a different flavour. I heard this album A LOT whilst running off these tapes two at a time, the playing is astounding.

Deegers

« Reply #244 on: Thu, Mar 04, 2021, 16:32 PM »
Why is the world interested in techno sea shanties and whether Mogwai have a number one album? That question to anyone.
Sea Shanties, love but this is what its all about.  From the most quiet of venues with the most subliminal of tunes, tones and disintegration loops to the other end of the spectrum, in this case Mogwai...

https://youtu.be/gJRtMnZoYEs

Nosie, visceral entropy and an all out assault on the senses, I love music, musicians and the spectrum of what we as blessed and allowed to absorb.

I can't do it but i will always love and acknowledge those who can.

8 mins 20 seconds in for when it just is.

Deegers

« Reply #245 on: Thu, Mar 04, 2021, 16:37 PM »
Sea Shanties, love but this is what its all about.  From the most quiet of venues with the most subliminal of tunes, tones and disintegration loops to the other end of the spectrum, in this case Mogwai...

https://youtu.be/gJRtMnZoYEs

Nosie, visceral entropy and an all out assault on the senses, I love music, musicians and the spectrum of what we as blessed and allowed to absorb.

I can't do it but i will always love and acknowledge those who can.

8 mins 20 seconds in for when it just is.

8 mins 16 seconds actually... ::)

:D :o 8)

ravedamage

« Reply #246 on: Fri, Mar 05, 2021, 00:39 AM »
I appreciate this might have been mentioned before, in interviews around the release of Appleman, but I wondered about Melin Wynt (in my top 10 of all KC tracks) and why ye dinnae like wind turbines?

Given they can supply energy that doesnae harm the planet as much as other fuels, is it jist the aesthetics of them or also the attendant noise they can generate? Knowing about your tinnitus, I'd be interested to know how much of a problem this could be if you're near to any.

Living in Norfolk, in the past, seeing loads of them aligned oot on the coast...as well as seeing 'em in and around Fife (driving back to my folks in Methil), I always thocht them to quite bonny to look at. Genuinely curious.

kwaing

« Reply #247 on: Fri, Mar 05, 2021, 09:43 AM »
I still have very strong views on this, and on many diverse subjects, but learned the hard way to either keep those views to myself, or air them only in private  :) I don’t mind wind turbines, or opinions come to that, leaking into songs now and again (third person, bit of vocoder, etc.).

On a brighter note, Lonepigeon is doing a roaring trade in vacuum cleaners - I bought one off him yesterday for £25.

baldpar

« Reply #248 on: Sat, Mar 06, 2021, 09:15 AM »
I found the Dreaming Without Sleeping documentary on the BBC Iplayer and was interested in the point where you said you had spent a lot of time penning some songs for From Scotland With Love that were rejected. Have those songs seen the light of day anywhere else?

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #249 on: Sat, Mar 06, 2021, 12:18 PM »
Talking about songs seeing the light of day reminds me of a conversation I had with you (KC) 2 or 3 years ago.   You said you were working on a song about the Franklin Expedition in search of a Northwest Passage through the Arctic.   I've been watching "Terror" on the iplayer about this very subject, and wondered if that song had been completed/recorded.

kwaing

« Reply #250 on: Sat, Mar 06, 2021, 12:26 PM »
I found the Dreaming Without Sleeping documentary on the BBC Iplayer and was interested in the point where you said you had spent a lot of time penning some songs for From Scotland With Love that were rejected. Have those songs seen the light of day anywhere else?

Unaware of the Grip (smavulgar) I wrote to replace My Favourite Girl, and Prize of the Carnival Shows (Hamilton) was written for the funfair bit. I snuck the latter back into the live shows last year. There are a couple of other lyrics I wrote for sections that ended up silent, or as an instrumental reprise, but they didn’t get worked up into songs.

kwaing

« Reply #251 on: Sat, Mar 06, 2021, 12:30 PM »
Talking about songs seeing the light of day reminds me of a conversation I had with you (KC) 2 or 3 years ago.   You said you were working on a song about the Franklin Expedition in search of a Northwest Passage through the Arctic.   I've been watching "Terror" on the iplayer about this very subject, and wondered if that song had been completed/recorded.

Lord Franklin, a tiny bit of it anyway, did get used on a channel 4 documentary about the Erebus. The instrumental version went onto ‘the bard and the ugly twosome’ alongside a few hymns and whatnot.

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #252 on: Sat, Mar 06, 2021, 12:50 PM »
Is there a recorded version with lyrics on release?   It's a very dark story, even after you remove the supernatural elements from the tv version ( i.e the sasquatch dude).  Plenty to get your teeth into.....

stephen

« Reply #253 on: Sat, Mar 06, 2021, 13:11 PM »
terrorble that programme should be callled ahahahahahhaha

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #254 on: Sat, Mar 06, 2021, 16:36 PM »
I'm quite enjoying it but I filter out all the supernatural stuff and just look at it as a story about human folly.  I'm like those south koreans who released The Sound of Music dubbed into korean and without the songs - just as a straight thriller. Aren't they clever?