Author Topic: F.A.Q.s (from 2 or less people)  (Read 6288 times)

arab

Re: F.A.Q.s (from 2 or less people)
« Reply #270 on: Fri, Apr 02, 2021, 10:07 AM »
Karlsruhe - always been a wee fave of mine.
I have a version on a usb stick in the car that has KC with Jimmy Yorkston kinda mumbling along as he does. Not sure it really suits JY that song but it's a good version all the same.
Question is - where did it originate? The only info behind the file says Karlsruhe, JY & KC, NZ Christmas Album.
Any ideas?
Also - have you ever been to Karlsruhe? Feel free to make something up if you've not.

I went on holiday to New zealand way back when and kenny gave me a cd to try and sway the kiwis to the majesty of fence.  i never did share my headphones with anyone so in the nuek they stayed

track list - oh my what a track list it was...  heartbreaker after heartbreaker

Karlsruhe - kc & jy
Lavender moon - pd & jy & kc
Alberta
Little Maggie
Blue Bleeezin Blind Drunk - kc & jy
At the WAL (1)
At the WAL (2)
Love your present
Uncle Beeslys Popstar Pish  OTF & UB
You Want to Walk - KC & JY 
Musakal Lives - KC & OTF

Pretty much every tune will make you greet.    Listening now its like taking a trip back in time

What's that version of Musakal Lives on?

i don't know if its on anything else - possibly one of Gavs releases?

Lavinia

« Reply #271 on: Wed, Apr 07, 2021, 10:06 AM »
Easter just wasn't the same again without the duck race and weekend of fun at the Dreel Hall. The hall must be finished its renovations now and hopefully gigs will take place there in the not too distant future. We have had our first injection with no side effects, it is all starting to look like we will be able to have summer gigs, we still have tickets for the Bandstand to look forward to and the gig in Strathaven.  Do you have any others penciled in Kenny?

ravedamage

« Reply #272 on: Thu, Apr 08, 2021, 23:19 PM »
Harking back to seeing you for the first few times, one occasion was in the wee bar in Dundee Rep in 2005. You were either supporting or co-headlining with a band called Otterley? It wis a guid gig. Any memories of that? And what happened to Otterley, if ye ken?

The Long Slow Death on KY10 has a melody eerily similar to a track by a certain New Romantic outfit...has always been one of my favourite tracks by them.
Which leads me to the question, what has been your favourite experience of being chauffeured anywhere?

And, I've been enjoying Wandavision as well as the The Falcon and the Winter Soldier recently...dunno if the Marvel Comic Universe is on yer radar but, if it is, which Avenger would you identify with the most?

kwaing

« Reply #273 on: Fri, Apr 09, 2021, 00:06 AM »
Easter just wasn't the same again without the duck race and weekend of fun at the Dreel Hall. The hall must be finished its renovations now and hopefully gigs will take place there in the not too distant future. We have had our first injection with no side effects, it is all starting to look like we will be able to have summer gigs, we still have tickets for the Bandstand to look forward to and the gig in Strathaven.  Do you have any others penciled in?

Despite the near legendary juggling skills it’s enough to have just the two gigs that are still very much up in the air.

kwaing

« Reply #274 on: Fri, Apr 09, 2021, 00:34 AM »
Harking back to seeing you for the first few times, one occasion was in the wee bar in Dundee Rep in 2005. You were either supporting or co-headlining with a band called Otterley? It wis a guid gig. Any memories of that? And what happened to Otterley, if ye ken?

The Long Slow Death on KY10 has a melody eerily similar to a track by a certain New Romantic outfit...has always been one of my favourite tracks by them.
Which leads me to the question, what has been your favourite experience of being chauffeured anywhere?

And, I've been enjoying Wandavision as well as the The Falcon and the Winter Soldier recently...dunno if the Marvel Comic Universe is on yer radar but, if it is, which Avenger would you identify with the most?

I remember playing the DCA a year or two earlier, and I can vaguely remember the ‘otterley’ unforgettable band you mention, but not of playing the Rep alas.

The Slow Death features a 4 track recording of my uni band Uncle Ralph, and it was Ralph himself who programmed that particular bit of music in 1986. I’ve not been chauffeured, just taxi’d about really, but I did a couple of chauffeuring jobs for Mr. Black when I lived on Teasses, the most memorable being when I picked him up from Gullane to be told I had just over a half hour to get him to the Perth races. When I next see you I’ll tell you whether or not I made it in time and how fast I drove in order to make/not make it in time.

Is Groot an Avenger? Scarlet J? There was some sort of vintage car rally in the Neuk at the weekend there and I was overtaken by a Hillman Avenger, no kidding. I soon caught him up though in the queue behind the 95.

kwaing

« Reply #275 on: Fri, Apr 09, 2021, 23:28 PM »

And yes, very similar. I’d’ve rewritten ‘hungry like the wolf’ or something from the Arcadia album myself - the Lady Ice song perhaps. There’s surely got to be a DD song on ‘planet eggz’ ...

Leckers

« Reply #276 on: Mon, Apr 12, 2021, 18:06 PM »
as it looks like we may be
heading out of lockdown
from may onward, was
wondering if are there
any kc/fence gigs being
lightly pencilled in? that
question also to whiskers
stephen? i’m itching to
get over to the neuk for
a soirée. x.

kwaing

« Reply #277 on: Tue, Apr 13, 2021, 08:52 AM »
My diary has but one fixed date - April 29th, disc brakes and tyres for the auld Audi. If I switch out ‘auld Audi’ for ‘mangled Montego’ it could be 1996 all over again. Wish it was.

ayjayemm

« Reply #278 on: Tue, Apr 13, 2021, 21:31 PM »
Ha!
  Nice to see a positive reference to Arcadia!
 For years me and my pal Stephen thought we were the only people that liked or remembered So Red The Rose.
And yes, a KC versh of Lady Ice would be great.
 So as to stay within the parameters of this thread whilst maintaining a link to the idea of splinter bands/ side projects, etc (and cunningly leading on from a previous question about the Mark Hollis LP) what did you make of the other group that rose from the ashes of Talk Talk ; O.Rang?
I dug them, but was also a little freaked out by them.
Kinda like life.

kwaing

« Reply #279 on: Today at 07:32 »
There are 3 corners on which Captain Geeko’s music tastes and my own happily meet, those of REM, Japan and Talk Talk. Now and then a tune by O.Rang pops up on a playlist made up of songs from Fables Of The Reconstruction, History Revisited and Secrets Of The Beehive, and every time I ask “who’s this again?”

But that was back when I had a working CD player in my car and would wing by Dura Den to pick Geeko up for those gigs we used to play. On April 5th I played Colour Of Spring on repeat, and only yesterday dug out my cassette copies of Monster and Reveal. Neither of the tapes ran to a full side.

That leaves Japan. It seems only fair to dust off that collection of 7” and 12” singles.