Author Topic: F.A.Q.s (from 2 or less people)  (Read 6285 times)

kwaing

Re: F.A.Q.s (from 2 or less people)
« Reply #255 on: Sat, Mar 06, 2021, 18:25 PM »
In the true story the kind doctor grew up in Cellardyke, at the Hermitage.

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #256 on: Sat, Mar 06, 2021, 19:46 PM »
life was doubly cruel, the poor fella :)

Sunday_Boy

« Reply #257 on: Sun, Mar 07, 2021, 15:58 PM »
yeah criminal the only version
is hidden away on the jokes
disc. thereís a lovely live version
from a marc riley radio session
where kc changes the offending
word to unkind - ala vice like.

Thanks, for the prompt, Leckers - after a bit of a rummage, I found that I had a recording of this radio session, which included KC singing from a phone directory to prove Marc Riley's theory that he could make this sound "beautiful and heartbreaking". Radio gold!

Kate

« Reply #258 on: Mon, Mar 08, 2021, 00:40 AM »

Unaware of the Grip (smavulgar) I wrote to replace My Favourite Girl, and Prize of the Carnival Shows (Hamilton) was written for the funfair bit. I snuck the latter back into the live shows last year. There are a couple of other lyrics I wrote for sections that ended up silent, or as an instrumental reprise, but they didnít get worked up into songs.

Iíve just gone to bed, read my diary entry from last year and realised the Edinburgh live show was exactly a year ago! How happy we all were then and whoíd have thought things would turn upside down so quickly. I wrote( at great length in tiny writing)about how amazing it was and how smoothly it seemed to go, how it was an added treat to have the new Fence Collective as support and we looked forward to that perhaps leading to something more. Bloody Covid. I also wrote that Prize of The Carnival Show had been included and something else but I canít read my writing!
Anyway, please please can we have gigs again later this year, even tiny ones? (Not sure if Iím asking Kenny or the god of pandemics) Kate x

creophile

« Reply #259 on: Mon, Mar 08, 2021, 19:35 PM »

Unaware of the Grip (smavulgar) I wrote to replace My Favourite Girl, and Prize of the Carnival Shows (Hamilton) was written for the funfair bit. I snuck the latter back into the live shows last year. There are a couple of other lyrics I wrote for sections that ended up silent, or as an instrumental reprise, but they didnít get worked up into songs.

Iíve just gone to bed, read my diary entry from last year and realised the Edinburgh live show was exactly a year ago! How happy we all were then and whoíd have thought things would turn upside down so quickly. I wrote( at great length in tiny writing)about how amazing it was and how smoothly it seemed to go, how it was an added treat to have the new Fence Collective as support and we looked forward to that perhaps leading to something more. Bloody Covid. I also wrote that Prize of The Carnival Show had been included and something else but I canít read my writing!
Anyway, please please can we have gigs again later this year, even tiny ones? (Not sure if Iím asking Kenny or the god of pandemics) Kate x

that was "circle my demise"
I was happy to be at the Aberdeen and Perth shows

kwaing

« Reply #260 on: Wed, Mar 10, 2021, 16:54 PM »
Circle My Demise was an experiment to see how far I could go in adding new/old songs to the FSWL party. Iíll Fly By The Seat Of My Pants would have been a better choice, I only thought of it on the long bus ride home from Manchester in the very early hours of lockdown 1.

stephen

« Reply #261 on: Wed, Mar 10, 2021, 16:59 PM »
Circle My Demise is one of the greats.

Leckers

« Reply #262 on: Wed, Mar 10, 2021, 18:43 PM »
never a truer word spoken.

creophile

« Reply #263 on: Wed, Mar 10, 2021, 20:53 PM »
CMD is probably my favourite KC song, along with Leslie, in all their many versions

fuctifano

« Reply #264 on: Fri, Mar 26, 2021, 13:35 PM »
Karlsruhe - always been a wee fave of mine.
I have a version on a usb stick in the car that has KC with Jimmy Yorkston kinda mumbling along as he does. Not sure it really suits JY that song but it's a good version all the same.
Question is - where did it originate? The only info behind the file says Karlsruhe, JY & KC, NZ Christmas Album.
Any ideas?
Also - have you ever been to Karlsruhe? Feel free to make something up if you've not.

kwaing

« Reply #265 on: Fri, Mar 26, 2021, 22:08 PM »
Hmmm ... NZ or FZ? It mightíve been a fencezine track if the latter. Iíll check. Maybe it went on a JY B-side, or a sampler. I do have a hazy recollection of recording a couple of different Karlsruhes myself as well.

Yes, I busked in Karlsruhe in 1991 with the Dubhs. A very strange thing happened in that the streets emptied, a violent wind storm blew up from nowhere and disappeared just like that, and then the streets filled up again. It was like the locals knew exactly what was going to happen and when, yet nobody warned us. We left town after that.

We found the Germans to be very generous when it came to putting coins in the case. Appreciative audiences too.

Leckers

« Reply #266 on: Fri, Mar 26, 2021, 23:06 PM »
is it the green man
festival album? just
listened to it - braw
version. hadnít heard
it before.

kwaing

« Reply #267 on: Sat, Mar 27, 2021, 10:37 AM »
Thatís where it ended up, cheers. JY and I worked on a few tracks for one of his early EPs, Blue Blaziní Blind Drunk etc., and Karlsruhe maybe didnít make the grade. Waste not want not!

arab

« Reply #268 on: Wed, Mar 31, 2021, 21:23 PM »
I have a version on a usb stick in the car that has KC with Jimmy Yorkston kinda mumbling along as he does. Not sure it really suits JY that song but it's a good version all the same.
Question is - where did it originate? The only info behind the file says Karlsruhe, JY & KC, NZ Christmas Album.
Any ideas?
Also - have you ever been to Karlsruhe? Feel free to make something up if you've not.

I went on holiday to New zealand way back when and kenny gave me a cd to try and sway the kiwis to the majesty of fence.  i never did share my headphones with anyone so in the nuek they stayed

track list - oh my what a track list it was...  heartbreaker after heartbreaker

Karlsruhe - kc & jy
Lavender moon - pd & jy & kc
Alberta
Little Maggie
Blue Bleeezin Blind Drunk - kc & jy
At the WAL (1)
At the WAL (2)
Love your present
Uncle Beeslys postar Dish  OTF & UB
You Want to Walk - KC & JY 
Musakal Lives - KC & OTF

Pretty much every tune will make you greet.    Listening now its like taking a trip back in time

stephen

« Reply #269 on: Thu, Apr 01, 2021, 19:11 PM »
Any ideas?

I went on holiday to New zealand way back when and kenny gave me a cd to try and sway the kiwis to the majesty of fence.  i never did share my headphones with anyone so in the nuek they stayed

track list - oh my what a track list it was...  heartbreaker after heartbreaker

Karlsruhe - kc & jy
Lavender moon - pd & jy & kc
Alberta
Little Maggie
Blue Bleeezin Blind Drunk - kc & jy
At the WAL (1)
At the WAL (2)
Love your present
Uncle Beeslys postar Dish  OTF & UB
You Want to Walk - KC & JY 
Musakal Lives - KC & OTF

Pretty much every tune will make you greet.    Listening now its like taking a trip back in time

What's that version of Musakal Lives on?