Author Topic: eBay thread  (Read 31863 times)

czefski

Re: eBay thread
« Reply #15 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 10:53 AM »
I've recently sold a bunch of things - some Fence related, but mostly my from my weird and wonderful collection going back twenty plus years. That's entirely because I need the money - and I certainly wouldn't want to part with it if there were other ways around it. If I could, I'd buy it all back tomorrow

What is really disturbing though is the rabid reaction from some people - and yes, some people on this forum and related places. The messages about being a "traitor" or a "scammer", the accusations that I'm somehow willingly depriving Kenny and his extended family of food (despite buying some of this stuff from him at gigs I paid to attend in the past!) or that I only ever bought it to make a quick buck. To be honest I was pretty shocked and genuinely upset by them. I've always found this a friendly spot on the whole.

I clearly didn't ever set out buy obscure things, keep it lovingly secure for years and then offload it for a massive profit. I spent a lot of money on music I loved, then life changed. Shit happens. What a shame people are so judgemental when fellow fans are having a tricky time :(

I'm with you Mike, if I was in a position where I needed money the only thing I have of re-sellable value is my record collection. Whilst I love my records you can't eat them and they don't keep you warm in the winter. Spookily, as I type, my cds I bought from you have just arrived. Cheers.

I have no issue with buying records on ebay, if it's something I really want and it's the only way to get hold of it then I'll buy it, if the price is acceptable.

It beats throwing records in the bin.

Jackie

« Reply #16 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 11:04 AM »
I've recently sold a bunch of things - some Fence related, but mostly my from my weird and wonderful collection going back twenty plus years. That's entirely because I need the money - and I certainly wouldn't want to part with it if there were other ways around it. If I could, I'd buy it all back tomorrow

What is really disturbing though is the rabid reaction from some people - and yes, some people on this forum and related places. The messages about being a "traitor" or a "scammer", the accusations that I'm somehow willingly depriving Kenny and his extended family of food (despite buying some of this stuff from him at gigs I paid to attend in the past!) or that I only ever bought it to make a quick buck. To be honest I was pretty shocked and genuinely upset by them. I've always found this a friendly spot on the whole.

I clearly didn't ever set out buy obscure things, keep it lovingly secure for years and then offload it for a massive profit. I spent a lot of money on music I loved, then life changed. Shit happens. What a shame people are so judgemental when fellow fans are having a tricky time :(

Which is why Dubster had it right when she said sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make ends meet and I am pretty sure everyone on here understands that and many will have been there themselves - both musicians and those of us who just listen.  Struggling to pay the bills isn't the same as trying to make a massive profit from someone else's hardwork and talent.
Hope things improve soon :)

Dubster

« Reply #17 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 11:14 AM »

Which is why Dubster had it right when she said sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make ends meet and I am pretty sure everyone on here understands that and many will have been there themselves - both musicians and those of us who just listen.  Struggling to pay the bills isn't the same as trying to make a massive profit from someone else's hardwork and talent.
Hope things improve soon :)
yep, that was exactly what I was getting at.  Sometimes its easy to assume folk are just selling stuff on ebay to make a massive profit but sometimes its being sold because of genuine need for cash during hard times (I have already primed Mr D that if we ever find ourselves in that situation I am selling his WHOLE record collection)

Deegers

« Reply #18 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 11:18 AM »
I assume that everyone bemoaning the fact that an auction site exists conducts all their private business in a state of perpetual cash neutrality nor have they ever bought a rare record for more than the 5 farthings it was originally sold for.

czefski

« Reply #19 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 11:28 AM »
I assume that everyone bemoaning the fact that an auction site exists conducts all their private business in a state of perpetual cash neutrality nor have they ever bought a rare record for more than the 5 farthings it was originally sold for.

Handclap emoticon

Ooohmince

« Reply #20 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 13:05 PM »
I have no issues with folk selling records on eBay - most of the time it's the only way to get your hands on some rare Fence material.
Saying that though, 88 is a tad steep for that particular compilation if memory serves me right  :P

What it does show though, is the high demand for back catalogue releases.  If eBay selling in this instance is frowned upon for filling the
coffers of strangers rather than KC/HMS G etc., then I'd love to see a small run of reissues made each time one of these strangers posts
a rarity online for sale.   Then everyone wins...

...other than said stranger  :-[

Dubster

« Reply #21 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 15:45 PM »
maybe Automatic66 IS HMS Ginafore.  Now that would be a cracking way for an artist to raise extra revenue from rare releases.. :)

Leckers

« Reply #22 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 15:59 PM »
if i was selling my shit on ebay then i
would want as much cash as possible,
but, that said, whoever paid 88 for
the glass album is either a moron, or
someone who has far too much money.

czefski

« Reply #23 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 16:34 PM »
Unfair to call them a moron, if they thinks it's worth 88 then that's to them. There must have been someone else prepared to pay 87, market forces. When I was trying, unsuccessfully, to complete my White Stripes collection a few years back I paid some silly money for a few very rare items, but I had spare cash at the time. Now that I've got to fund various overnight trips to the East Neuk I wouldn't consider paying what I paid, but a the time it was fine.

Leckers

« Reply #24 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 16:47 PM »
oh i don't know - have you
heard the glass album?  ;)

czefski

« Reply #25 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 16:51 PM »

Nope, I only had 87.

stephen

« Reply #26 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 17:02 PM »
Ebay Aye. I've spent thousands on rare wax on ebay. I'm in a divorcey state just now so i'll be selling lots on it too. It has it's uses like.

Leckers

« Reply #27 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 17:05 PM »

Nope, I only had 87.

lucky escape.

mind when that copy of baby piano
went for 190 a few years back. i
hope these prices keep up so i can
look forward to my retirement.

R

« Reply #28 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 17:40 PM »
I don't bemoan the sellers personally. What if someone gifted you that cd and you didn't know it was worth that much? You can't really control that per se. And like others have said you may have a genuine reason to sell it.

But, even though I'm an obsessive collector of stuff, fence stuff isnt conducive to buying at these prices, second hand, where none of the money (aside from the original, probably loss making amount) ends up going to Kenny et al

R

« Reply #29 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 17:44 PM »
I think what I'm trying to say is; don't bite the hand that feeds you. Or something.