Author Topic: eBay thread  (Read 32001 times)

adamski

eBay thread
« on: Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 13:21 PM »
Hello,
I'm only signed up to two forum/message boards, this and teenage fanclubs board, anyway I see a eBay thread on the latter's board - I think it's a great thread! Anyway don't know if anyone else checks eBay for old discs however this is on sale for another few days! Looks rare anyway!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131019034446

Anyway hope this helps people trying to increase their collection!

czefski

Re: eBay thread
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 13:26 PM »
I was following a Fence compilation called Glass a couple of weeks ago that went for 88. A Plum Duffers comp CD went for 46 on the same day.

Fortunately I already have the HMS G cds otherwise someone might not be getting a xmas present this year.

funky_nomad

« Reply #2 on: Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 13:33 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131019034446

I was following a Fence compilation called Glass a couple of weeks ago that went for 88. A Plum Duffers comp CD went for 46 on the same day.

:o :o

Gingerbeard

« Reply #3 on: Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 14:29 PM »
Why oh why do people rush in with early bidding wars?! Makes no sense and is indeed an even bigger ker-ching for the seller!!

Here endeth rant.

Leckers

« Reply #4 on: Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 15:28 PM »

Fortunately I already have the HMS G cds otherwise someone might not be getting a xmas present this year.

holy shengis - the
world's gone mad.

michi_p

« Reply #5 on: Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 18:21 PM »
maybe this is the moment to ask whether there are any plans to re-issue some of hms g's back catalogue? please!

R

« Reply #6 on: Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 20:25 PM »
I just don't get the whole buying stuff like this on eBay. HMS G won't be seeing any of that insane amount it will inevitably go for. 

It only takes away money that would otherwise be spent within the fence infrastructure.

fuctifano

« Reply #7 on: Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 21:58 PM »
I just don't get the whole buying stuff like this on eBay. HMS G won't be seeing any of that insane amount it will inevitably go for. 

It only takes away money that would otherwise be spent within the fence infrastructure.

Have to agree with this. I'd rather buy it from the artist or not at all these days.

I was in Fopp for the first time in years the other day. Bought cd from Africa, a book from turkey and a book from India. All for a tenner. that cannae be right can it?

Kimmers

« Reply #8 on: Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 22:22 PM »

Much agreed here. If anything, I'd like to hope that voicing a desire for albums here will result in their availability, which has happened with KC's back catalogue cdr's. I'd rather have to wait and have the money go to the actual artist, instead of lining someone else's pockets.  8)

Gingerbeard

« Reply #9 on: Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 22:36 PM »
I can see why people want to buy & sell but all generally gets a bit silly and you're right, it does miss out the most important people (artiste).

Can't wait to see the Fence web shop return in whatever form circa 2014. I'm saving my pennies for that & Easter!  8)

Jackie

« Reply #10 on: Thu, Oct 17, 2013, 22:43 PM »
As 1 or 2 people have said elsewhere its more fun to see what you can pick up over the years at various live events - I don't mind now if I dont get everything Fence has put out, I like the not knowing what might or might not come my way.
I certainly don't want to hand over vasts sums of cash to a stranger knowing that KC or any other artist who's music I know and love will never see a penny of it.

adamski

« Reply #11 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 05:38 AM »
I totally agree, I would much rather pay whatever direct to the artist! But unfortunately sometimes it's the only way to complete a collection, I'm guessing there isn't many artists out there that still re produce older titles!! Plus its good to see the artwork etc for albums u may not have seen before, a few months back there were quite a few old kc albums on it! The one with the Russian type writing on it threw me!
Anyway im hoping as what gingerbeard says, a fence webshop coming soon will be excellent!!

baldpar

« Reply #12 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 07:33 AM »
The waiting is half the fun. You never know what might turn up at a gig. I've been waiting patiently for a squeezebox set for a long time. I'm very excited as i'll be picking one up at Aberfeldy soon   :D :D :D

Dubster

« Reply #13 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 09:29 AM »
ebay has its uses (second hand car parts, in my case) but I agree that I want the money to go straight into the artists pocket and also love the anticipation of picking up a rarity at a Fence event.  Trouble is, not always easy to get to these but that does make the thrill even greater when you finally pick up a gem.

I would only forgive someone ebaying this stuff if they REALLY REALLY needed the money and there was no alterative but to turn to their record/cd collection to raise funds...

MikeGTN

• Songs Heard On Fast Trains
« Reply #14 on: Fri, Oct 18, 2013, 10:13 AM »
I've recently sold a bunch of things - some Fence related, but mostly my from my weird and wonderful collection going back twenty plus years. That's entirely because I need the money - and I certainly wouldn't want to part with it if there were other ways around it. If I could, I'd buy it all back tomorrow

What is really disturbing though is the rabid reaction from some people - and yes, some people on this forum and related places. The messages about being a "traitor" or a "scammer", the accusations that I'm somehow willingly depriving Kenny and his extended family of food (despite buying some of this stuff from him at gigs I paid to attend in the past!) or that I only ever bought it to make a quick buck. To be honest I was pretty shocked and genuinely upset by them. I've always found this a friendly spot on the whole.

I clearly didn't ever set out buy obscure things, keep it lovingly secure for years and then offload it for a massive profit. I spent a lot of money on music I loved, then life changed. Shit happens. What a shame people are so judgemental when fellow fans are having a tricky time :(