Author Topic: club de mix revue  (Read 29348 times)

soundslikeandyp

Re: club de mix revue
« Reply #15 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 17:02 PM »
13.   ae fond kiss by now wakes the sea. i believe nwts is a one-man operation and,
again, iím not convinced with everything Iíve heard by him, but this burns tribute
album he did is wonderful.

Now Wakes the Sea is my pal! We've just made an album together in my flat in St Andrews actually. He's about to release an album on Mini50 Records who released Conquering Animal Sound's first record. Here's a song from it:

https://soundcloud.com/nwts/original-bone

baldpar

« Reply #16 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 19:41 PM »
Working away for a few days this week I was able to give my mix a few listens. It's an electronica-laden synth spectacular cd courtesy, I believe, of Baldpar. Call me Agent Cooper but I think the timing of its arrival, the content of the cd and the Dunfermline postcard that came with it point in his direction.

Track 1 Ė OK? Ready? Letís Do It, announces Phil Oakey as Being Boiled by the Human League gets us underway. A favourite of mine from my early teens, this, the b-side Circus of Death and the Normalís Warm Leatherette/TVOD were rarely off the turntable and a staple of every mix tape. A great start.
Track 2 Ė A meandering bass line runs throughout this one before a soft female voice gives us a chorus which seems inspired by the Tom Tom Club. Pleasant enough, but 3 of the almost 5 minutes would have been enough.
Track 3 Ė I recognise this as Miaoux Miaoux, donít know the song but Iím struck how much it sounds like the Lightning Seeds circa the Sense album. I really like this, which is a double whammy as Iíll check out more MM and re-visit Sense, which I loved but havenít played for years
Track 4 Ė One of only 2 Chvrches songs in my collection, I think this was a freebie on itunes one day. I really liked The Mother We Share but anything else from them, including this, has left me underwhelmed. Itís not bad, just ok
Track 5 Ė More synth to get us started on this one which soar over the top of a Claire Groganesque female vocal, although heaven forfend that Claire would use the Ďcí word. Iíve surprised myself by liking this as itís not something that Iíd seek out, which is the great thing about a beef/hub mix. Will be interested to find out who this is.
Track 6 Ė Our very own Jon Hopkins with Open Eye Signal from the excellent Immunity album.
Track 7 Ė Back to my teenage years with Donna Summerís I Feel Love. Given that Iíd discovered The Jam, The Clash, The Pistols and The Stranglers, along with any number of lesser quality Ďpunkí bands, this passed me by when my brother had it on a constant play. Over the years I came to really like it, but 9 minutes with added Rivers of Slimeíesque knob twiddling is a bit too much for me, moved onto track 8 after about 4 minutes.
Track 8 Ė I was really enjoying this as an instrumental, then the vocal kicked in and spoiled it. The throaty male vocal and orgasmic grunts turn me right off and probably would have got it banned by Radio 1 in the 70ís. If thereís a fully instrumental version of this kicking about Iím in, but the singer should have a wank in his own time, not mine.
Track 9 Ė More synths, if Miaoux Miaoux hadnít already been on earlier Iíd have thought it was them. Not the best on the mix but, not unpleasant. Canít really think of much more to say about it. It is what it is.
Track 10 Ė Iíve reached synthpop saturation point now and would love to hear a guitar, but, itís more synthpop and to my untrained ears, this sounds like a slightly quicker version of the one that went before.
Track 11 Ė This is more like it, a Marine Girls feel to this one, a gentle swoony love song, a summery feel good kind of song. No idea who it is but I like it, Iím back onboard.

Track 12 Ė Back to a synth drum beat after the brief respite. An instrumental number which is not offensive to the ear but isnít in the league of track 8, (without the ononism).
Track 13 Ė This is great, despite having absolutely none of their stuff I know itís Public Service Broadcasting and it reminds me that I need to own their album. By the time the song is over itís been ordered. Other than the timeless Being Boiled this is the best track on the mix, love it.

Overall itís been really enjoyable to listen to a genre that Iím rarely exposed to. Whilst Iíd probably prefer to hear them in smaller chunks, I liked most of the tracks, particularly Miauox Miauox and PSB, albums by both have now been bought since receiving this mix. I will leave most of them on my ipod and if you have an instrumental version of track 8 then Iím all ears. Chees Baldpar (?), much appreciated.

Here's the full reveal -

Track 1 Human League - Being Boiled.
Track 2 - The Jellies - Jive Baby on a Saturday Night. I first heard this on Lauren Laverne's show. Don't know a whole lot about it.
Track 3 - Miaoux Miaoux - Better For Now. Glad you liked  it enough to buy the album.
Track 4 - Chvrches - Tether. I know they divide opinion but I love the album.
Track 5 - Becky Becky - The Harder Stuff. She's remixed some Pictish Trail stuff.
Track 6 - Jon Hopkins - Open Eye Signal. Possibly my fave album of last year. Superb stuff.
Track 7 - Donna Summer - I Feel Love (Patrick Cowley mix). Found it on a New Order Back to Mine compilation.
Track 8 - Frankie Knuckles - Your Love. He passed away today.
Track 9 - Caribou - Odessa.
Track 10 - Delphic - This Momentary. Obviously influenced by New Order.
Track 11 - Metronomy - Everything Goes My Way taken from The English Riviera album.
Track 12 - F**K My Acid - Stexis. A De-Fence 10x10. I think Steve Mason is involved.
Track 13 - Public Service Broadcasting - Spitfire. Their mix of public service film soundtracks and the rhythms really work for me.

I'm glad you enjoyed some of the music that I love  :)

Rusticbob

« Reply #17 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 20:09 PM »
Dear Mixee - I'm running late due to this month being a month of mental, but it will be in the post by the weekend.  Soz.  Still waiting on mine though, so only feel 40% bad.

czefski

« Reply #18 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 20:39 PM »
Working away for a few days this week I was able to give my mix a few listens. It's an electronica-laden synth spectacular cd courtesy, I believe, of Baldpar. Call me Agent Cooper but I think the timing of its arrival, the content of the cd and the Dunfermline postcard that came with it point in his direction.

Track 1 Ė OK? Ready? Letís Do It, announces Phil Oakey as Being Boiled by the Human League gets us underway. A favourite of mine from my early teens, this, the b-side Circus of Death and the Normalís Warm Leatherette/TVOD were rarely off the turntable and a staple of every mix tape. A great start.
Track 2 Ė A meandering bass line runs throughout this one before a soft female voice gives us a chorus which seems inspired by the Tom Tom Club. Pleasant enough, but 3 of the almost 5 minutes would have been enough.
Track 3 Ė I recognise this as Miaoux Miaoux, donít know the song but Iím struck how much it sounds like the Lightning Seeds circa the Sense album. I really like this, which is a double whammy as Iíll check out more MM and re-visit Sense, which I loved but havenít played for years
Track 4 Ė One of only 2 Chvrches songs in my collection, I think this was a freebie on itunes one day. I really liked The Mother We Share but anything else from them, including this, has left me underwhelmed. Itís not bad, just ok
Track 5 Ė More synth to get us started on this one which soar over the top of a Claire Groganesque female vocal, although heaven forfend that Claire would use the Ďcí word. Iíve surprised myself by liking this as itís not something that Iíd seek out, which is the great thing about a beef/hub mix. Will be interested to find out who this is.
Track 6 Ė Our very own Jon Hopkins with Open Eye Signal from the excellent Immunity album.
Track 7 Ė Back to my teenage years with Donna Summerís I Feel Love. Given that Iíd discovered The Jam, The Clash, The Pistols and The Stranglers, along with any number of lesser quality Ďpunkí bands, this passed me by when my brother had it on a constant play. Over the years I came to really like it, but 9 minutes with added Rivers of Slimeíesque knob twiddling is a bit too much for me, moved onto track 8 after about 4 minutes.
Track 8 Ė I was really enjoying this as an instrumental, then the vocal kicked in and spoiled it. The throaty male vocal and orgasmic grunts turn me right off and probably would have got it banned by Radio 1 in the 70ís. If thereís a fully instrumental version of this kicking about Iím in, but the singer should have a wank in his own time, not mine.
Track 9 Ė More synths, if Miaoux Miaoux hadnít already been on earlier Iíd have thought it was them. Not the best on the mix but, not unpleasant. Canít really think of much more to say about it. It is what it is.
Track 10 Ė Iíve reached synthpop saturation point now and would love to hear a guitar, but, itís more synthpop and to my untrained ears, this sounds like a slightly quicker version of the one that went before.
Track 11 Ė This is more like it, a Marine Girls feel to this one, a gentle swoony love song, a summery feel good kind of song. No idea who it is but I like it, Iím back onboard.

Track 12 Ė Back to a synth drum beat after the brief respite. An instrumental number which is not offensive to the ear but isnít in the league of track 8, (without the ononism).
Track 13 Ė This is great, despite having absolutely none of their stuff I know itís Public Service Broadcasting and it reminds me that I need to own their album. By the time the song is over itís been ordered. Other than the timeless Being Boiled this is the best track on the mix, love it.

Overall itís been really enjoyable to listen to a genre that Iím rarely exposed to. Whilst Iíd probably prefer to hear them in smaller chunks, I liked most of the tracks, particularly Miauox Miauox and PSB, albums by both have now been bought since receiving this mix. I will leave most of them on my ipod and if you have an instrumental version of track 8 then Iím all ears. Chees Baldpar (?), much appreciated.

Here's the full reveal -

Track 1 Human League - Being Boiled.
Track 2 - The Jellies - Jive Baby on a Saturday Night. I first heard this on Lauren Laverne's show. Don't know a whole lot about it.
Track 3 - Miaoux Miaoux - Better For Now. Glad you liked  it enough to buy the album.
Track 4 - Chvrches - Tether. I know they divide opinion but I love the album.
Track 5 - Becky Becky - The Harder Stuff. She's remixed some Pictish Trail stuff.
Track 6 - Jon Hopkins - Open Eye Signal. Possibly my fave album of last year. Superb stuff.
Track 7 - Donna Summer - I Feel Love (Patrick Cowley mix). Found it on a New Order Back to Mine compilation.
Track 8 - Frankie Knuckles - Your Love. He passed away today.
Track 9 - Caribou - Odessa.
Track 10 - Delphic - This Momentary. Obviously influenced by New Order.
Track 11 - Metronomy - Everything Goes My Way taken from The English Riviera album.
Track 12 - F**K My Acid - Stexis. A De-Fence 10x10. I think Steve Mason is involved.
Track 13 - Public Service Broadcasting - Spitfire. Their mix of public service film soundtracks and the rhythms really work for me.

I'm glad you enjoyed some of the music that I love  :)

Cheers Baldpar. I can honselty say I'd never heard of Frankie Knuckles until seeing he'd died today and there he was in my ears for the past 2 weeks. Small world, but I wouldn't like to paint it. Will check out Becky Becky & Metronomy

DemonInDisguise

« Reply #19 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 22:14 PM »
I gave my AETC HUBMIX a listen while walking through a cemetery and along a river.

1) uplifting banjo tune wherein laser beams are mixed up with mules. That crosses many circles of my Venn diagram. Nice start.

2) there's going to be a party when the wolf comes home. Says the band who may have influenced Coldplay tribute act the Mumfords of Doom. Imagine a sort of alt.folk band of the 90s.

3) I feel I should be able to name these Wannadies / Friends Theme sorts. I may even have this song."This is a song" they correctly sing. Maybe these had a bigger hit I know?

4) you know how Van Morrison pretends to be American? This might be him doing that, but being funny, audience cheers & whoops.

I will have to reevaluate on listen #2

5) Bluesy hippity hop sounding thang. Namechecking the good shizzle. Mellow. PM Don Henley.

6) Plant & Krauss. Lovely. Apparently 2nd album sessions did not work. Darn.

Oh well, at least we have Lindi Ortega covering Desperado.

7) "Almost nothing is what I can tell you about this song. Nice moping. Probably one of those ones everyone likes and I should know. Moving pictures, silent films.

8) Ah. More familiar territory. I Couldn't Bear To Be Special, by Prefab Sprout. Perfect follow on from previous track.

9) it's a song about twin towers.

Nice trippy synth almost like Tony Mansfield's mote reflective moments. I could definitely see this as an update of Sad Films. I will be wanting to.hear more by this chap.

10) pia pia piano. Boys & girls in cars. I have heard of this. Dunno who it is. Another likable moping tune.

ooh more plane crash imagery.

11) Sax.

And the first track that doesn't really saxisfy me.

12) Portishead on the other hand.

I now want to listen to the whole of Dummy and maybe an Airbus Reconstruction could have helped those plane crash songs.

13) wibbly wobbly electro folk instrumental.

14) World musack. Tabla, that throat singy sounding synth. Jazzy beats. Niiiice. Something Transglobal.

I have just passed those two blokes that were interviewed on the news this.morning on the occasion of them getting married. Nice.

This is wibbling on a bit now.

Oh, it's over.

Good work my mixer. I could listen to this again..I could even already own more than I suspect. If not, the mp3 shops of certain bands could be busy.

Here's the full reveal for the playlist of the Hub Mix that I provided for A.Heathen:

1. Scent of a Mule by Phish, from the album Hoist. Never fully drank the Kool Aid with Phish but have a few of their early albums, one of which this track is taken from. I do like the fact that they'll try lots of different styles. Nice bit of humour in this song and I think it's Bela Fleck guesting on banjo. A silly song that actually requires some serious musicianship to play.

2. Up The Wolves by The Mountain Goats, from the album The Sunset Tree. One of my favourite bands, The Mountain Goats is really John Darnielle. A tremendous songwriter who is as prolific as KC. This track is on what is the first autobiographical album by him, prior to this all songs/albums were just stories. He has had a very 'interesting' life and has lived to tell the tale. The Sunset Tree sounds like a recipe for disaster, dealing with physical abuse from his violent step-father when growing up, but he's such a good writer that half of the time you probably wouldn't realise what he's writing about. In fact, it was only when he was interviewed on a podcast with comedian Marc Maron (WTF podcast) that he really opened up. Great live performer too, there's plenty on YouTube - I would urge you to check him out.

3. This Is A Song by The Magic Numbers, from the album Those The Brokes. Just a great pop song. I don't get in to a lot of pop stuff these days but The Magic Numbers write some nice songs. I see they're playing Glasgow later in the year so may have to get some tickets.

4. Demon In Disguise by David Bromberg, from the DVD Live At The Maintenance Shop. David Bromberg is a legend. He made his name in the late 60s as a sideman for people like Dylan and Jerry Jeff Walker (Mr Bojangles). A virtuoso on guitar, mandolin and fiddle. This very performance was included on a late night program called On the Live Side that used to show on ITV in the late 80s at about 3am. It must have been the school holidays, but I was living in Cupar at the time and remember videoing it. I still have the tape. It was only about 5 years ago that I saw they had released the whole gig on DVD - instant purchase. He was burned out and quit the music business shortly after this and disappeared for 20 years during which he trained as a violin maker and opened up a shop in Delaware, becoming the world authority on American fiddles and bows. He claims he didn't play at all for 20 years and then, about 5 years ago, he started playing again and is also recording. The other reason for the song was a clue to the mixer - when I created my Hub profile and had to come up with a name I happened to see another of his DVDs on a shelf and just grabbed the song title - yup, that pointless.

5. Blues Music by G. Love & Special Sauce, from the album G. Love & Special Sauce. Great modern take on roots and blues from a white boy from Philly. This album is from the early 90s. I saw him on Jools Holland, way back when, and saw him at the Garage in Glasgow shortly thereafter.

6. Killing The Blues by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, from the album Raising Sand. Most people probably know this. I was never a Led Zep fan but I think this was a great album for Plant.

7. Moving Pictures Silent Films by Great Lake Swimmers, from the album Great Lake Swimmers. Built around main man Tony Dekker, a Canadian band that are very mellow. Heard of them when they were interviewed in Tape Op magazine and they were talking about how, for this album, they recorded out in the middle of nowhere in an old grain silo, to get really unusual reverb sounds. Nice songs, nice tunes, nothing dangerous.

8. I Couldn't Bear To Be Special by Prefab Sprout, from the album Swoon. This is one of two albums that transitioned me from plain rock music, in the mid-80s, to something a bit more thoughtful - this and Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads. Swoon is still a doozie of an album. Shame what's happened to Paddy McAloon though. The latest album is quite nice, but would have been better with other band members. Great songwriter though.

9. Exodus Damage by John Vanderslice, from the album Pixel Revolt. San Francisco based songwriter and studio owner. I think I've mentioned him before - he owns the last fully analogue studio on the West Coast of the US, called Tiny Telephone. JVs a top bloke and recently recorded a released (limited) a reinterpretation of Bowies Diamond Dogs album - not simply straight covers. It is tremendous, and I'm not really a Bowie fan although I know some of the songs he has reinterpreted. I really interesting guy with views about the music industry, and how to make a living, that I think are very similar to KCs. A working musician for sure.

10. The Commander Thinks Aloud by The Long Winters, form the EP Ultimatum. Another band that is really one personality, in this case John Roderick. If it sounds familiar it may be because I believe the track was used on a TV series called The OC - not one I am familiar with. The songs about the space shuttle Columbia that disintegrated on re-entry. Seems to reduce geeks, everywhere, to tears.

11.   Whisper by Morphine, from the album Yes. Another band first heard on Jools Holland. Two string bass played with a slide and a sax player that plays two saxes simultaneously a la Roland Kirk. Always liked the unusual instrumentation but it's probably an acquired taste.

12. Biscuit by Portishead, from the album Dummy. First heard on Radio 3's Mixing It. Immediately bought the album - it didn't disappoint. A barnstormer of a first album, not sure if they ever equalled it.

13.   Melanine by Tycho, from the album Dive. Scott Hansen, a San Francisco based graphic artist using the handle ISO50 who also records under the soubriquet Tycho. Gets accused of being a bit of a Boards of Canada copyist which is probably fair to a certain extent. He certainly uses a lot of similar textures but I think he has a stronger sense of melody and structure than BOC - and I say that as a BOC fan. His latest album has just been released in the last couple of days so I'll be keen to see if he has developed his style - particularly in light of the release of Tomorrow's Harvest by BOC (miaow!).

14. Cucumber Slumber by Material, from the album Hallucination Engine. Just thought I'd add this as there seems to be a lot of love for electronic type stuff on the Hub. Another Radio 3 Mixing It discovery. It's a project of Bill Laswell's with a lot of heavy hitters participating including Wayne Shorter, William S Burroughs, Bootsy Collins, L Shankar, Sly Dunbar, Trilok Gurtu - has the dangerous potential to be a Jazz-Rock love in.

That complete's the scores for Belgium! Happy to say that I got lots of good stuff in my Mix and hopefully I've introduced a few new things for someone else. After all, who doesn't need more bands to get in to?

Bring on round 2 - may have to leave the beaten track for that one.

Bootsfordancing

« Reply #20 on: Wed, Apr 02, 2014, 02:02 AM »
The mix took about three listens before it kicked in and  I began to appreciate all the nuances.

1)  The mix starts with what  can only be described as 'music hall madness'!

2)  Next we have a rollercoaster ride of 60's pop at it's most dramatic. I can see where Meat Loaf got his chops from. Classic kitsch.

3)  A breathy seductive chantress who has me weak at the knees. Wonderful.

4)  60's retro style slightly psychedelic pop, probably done by a modern band. More please.

5)  Some nice spaced out trance/dub reggae.

6) This could be off a 60's soundtrack. Again I suspect a more modern band.

7)  More 60's retro style pop. Nice 'n' cool. First part of the mix over.

8)  Now a change of feel with some nicely 'dated' folky acoustic guitar.

9)  Leading into Ivor Cutler. Always a pleasure.

10) Gentle piano instrumental.

11)  Keeping the tranquil mood with an orchestral piece, and the end of this part of the mix.

12)  That's the 'chill' over. Now we have a nice 'n' cheesy version of 'Daydream Believer'.

13)  Country/pop sung the way I would imagine Jerry Lee Lewis doing it.

14)  A 'rude' tongue in cheek bit of folky humour.

15)  Ah, a song I know. Lindisfarne - 'Fog On The Tyne'.

16)  Some Scottish traditional Scottish folk music, fiddles and all.

17)  WHO IS THIS? I think I've heard that voice. Great 'loopy' guitar, I love it.

18)  Retro poppy/rootsy sound. Could it be Supergrass?

19)  Classic Northern Soul single. 'Seven days Is Too Long' - Chuck Woods.

20)  That breathy seductive chantress again. She could read the phone book and sound sexy!

21)  Cool jazz instrumental.

22)  Lovely version of 'Blues Run The Game'.

23)  Funny interlude.

24)  Classic Dean Martin.

25)  Another slice of pop drama (80's style) to close the mix.

No home should be without this mix. It's everything a good mix should be. As soon as I get the track listing I'll start checking out some of the artists. So a big shout out to Mixmaster Supreme Bootsfordancing!

The only downside was that I had to purchase a French lexicon to fully appreciate the mix. A minor quibble though cause I have now expanded my vocabulary. 'Mercy buckets' Bootsfordancing.  ;D

1) Go-Go Pogo                                     Walt Kelly, the cartoonist who created Pogo - he did several Pogo related musical/spoken word discs
2) Eloise                                              Barry Ryan, 1968.....aaaaahhhh you gotta check out the video on youtube - mental!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gbJR_e8exs&feature=player_detailpage#t=12
3) Teach Me Tiger                                 April Stevens - wah wah wah wah wah....
4) Eyes Of Love                                    Future Pilot A.K.A.
5) Dub Her In                                       Steve Mason & Denis Bovell from Ghosts Outside (the dub album)
6) I Wish I Could have Loved you More   Candie Payne
7) A Million Miles Away                          Saints (from new 2013 album) nice to see Bruce Springsteen do a Saints cover on his new album...!
8) Guitar Miniature #3                           North Sea Radio Orchestra
9) Size Nine And Half                             Ivor Cutler
10) Rain Shadow                                   Tigran Hamasyan
11) Black Rock Baths (hardy tree mix)    Darren Hayman
12) Daydream Believer                          Kevin Rowland
13) Hello Sunshine                                Tim Rose
14) The Hole                                         Jake Thackray
15) Fog On the Tyne                              Lindisfarne
16) Tramps And Hawker                         Ewan McLennan
17) Relator                                           Pete Yorn & Scarlett Johansen
18) Codeine                                          Tap Tap (same chap as Teleman i think)
19) Seven Days Too Long                       Chuck Wood
20) America's Weather Girl                     April Stevens (never enough...)
21) Blue Mosque                                    Don Rendall & Ian Carr
22) Blues Run the Game                         Headless Heroes (Alela Dianne and friends doing covers...)
23) Booth's Dry Gin                                Barry Gray
24) Littel Ole Wine Drinker Me                 Dean Martin
25) Dead the Beast, Dead the Poison       Radiators (from space) 2nd album produced by Toni Visconti - classic overlooked album from '79 Phil Chevron went on to be in the Pogues....sadly passed away last summer... they got back together and did a really amazing 'nuggets' type project on Irish rock that inspired the early irish punk scene...well worth checking out
over and out - this was a blast ----
thanks to mista tifano for orgainizing :)

Congo Bongo

« Reply #21 on: Wed, Apr 02, 2014, 14:23 PM »
after a good few weeks with "Dreams And How To Interpret Them" i'm as ready as can be to dive in...
1) this sounds french (late 50's early 60s maybe) post django guitar work it's great, catchy as all get out... reminds me a lot of the style Richard was playing at the "rugby club" show last april...
2) nice mix into the ether of a spacious electro piece -  no idea - very nice
3) yikes not a clue.. african acoustic...really really nice - i honestly listen to so little like this...great change
4) oh finally one i know - can't remember who but it's from the Fruit Tree Foundation - oh the rabbit chap!
5) 2 in a row....FAB towers own B Callahan/smog... can't place which album - always a treat !
6) great piano driven rocker - feel the accent in the vocals... (reminds me mike scott pushin' at classic country - before being over produced, quirkier...
7) KC  :)
8) Tales Of the Road.... ? reminds me of TV smiths explorers (bit more polished maybe)
9) great mix into a classical piece not "ride of the valkyries" so not a clue, - lovely though
10) "this is how it feels to be lonely..." not a clue sounds like an andrew lloyd webber meets scott walker over the top....
11) "Don't fence me in..." classic cowboy song, love this - used to sing my girls to sleep with this..... nice version - not gene autry that's fer sure:O
12) yeah another one i know... Frightened R... 
13) hmm "caught a cold last night"... not a clue (repeat to fade...)
14) great greasy american roots rock, voice sounds familiar.... sounds like ray wylie H fronting the replacments :)
15) more swampy americana - should know this,  great work out - older than 14 - 70s probably
16) prettiest robot - great quirky guitar workout meets arab strap - not a clue but great fun
17)  - alasdair methinks
18) yeah mista callhan again - :)
19) KC ......never talks too much
20) lovely etheral musings.. a carousel swingin round and bringing you in - with record needle noises (faux in the mix) not a clue but great mix stuff
21) cooos & horses and acoustic doodling - and contemporary yodeelling
straight into... ivor C and mudddddddd YeaH!
22) ivor c.... too funny i went there too in the mix i sent out (poll time: how many ivor c tracks on hub mixes :) ?)

wonderful stuff can't thank you enough, suspecting it's congo bongo as we both stumbled in at the end but ?????

In keeping with the guidlines of Hubclub mainman fuctifano

A full tracklist on the review is always a good idea. 8)

here is the full reveal of my mix for Bootsfordancing  ;D

1  Claude Vasori - 'Folk guitar' (obscure French chappie, not to be confused with TV / soundtrack composer with the same name)
 2  Daniel Figgis - 'The please front'
 3  Zuba - 'Moonlight' (Glasgow outfit, not to be confused with more popular American funky poppers)
 4  The Fruit Tree Foundation - 'Splinter'
 5  Smog - 'Dress sexy at my funeral'
 6  Vigilantes Of Love - 'Hip train' (one of my favourite 'rootsy' bands, fronted by Bill Mallonee)
 7  King Creosote - I awoke'
 8  Justin Sullivan - 'Tales of the road' (New Model Army bloke but in a different style altogether)
 9  Alan Hovhaness - 'Angel of light'
10 The Clint Boon Experience - 'This is how it feels' (takes the Inspiral Carpets song and transforms it)
11 Michael L. Clamp - 'Don't fence me in' (lovely version of a lovely song)
12 Frightened Rabbit - 'Old old fashioned'
13 Knocker Jungle - 'Caught a cold last night' (only an old hippie band could have written a song like that!)
14 Charlie Pickett & The Mothers Of Propriety - 'What I like about Miami' (If Miami is as good s they say, I wanna go!)
15 Link Ray - 'Black River swamp' (this shows another side to Link Wray; Americana, as opposed to his usual 'power chord' style.)
16 Stupidity For Blood - 'The prettiest robot' (has the memorable line "what she lacked in organs she made up for with a lovely ass" and as a bonus his voice is like James Yorkston's, to my ears anyway)
17 The Fruit Tree Foundation - 'Beware beware'
18 Bill Callahan - 'A man needs a woman or a man to be a man' (hmmm, I'm trying to work that one out)
19 King Creosote - 'Just after 11 she left'
20 Daniel Figgis - 'Bolted'
21 Roger Dean Young & The Tin Cup - 'Stettler'
22 Ivor Cutler Trio - 'Mud'

Maybe I was a wee bit too conservative with my first Hubclub mix. I'll be more adventurous next time.  :)

Reg Banks

« Reply #22 on: Sun, Apr 06, 2014, 19:36 PM »
Review of my mix tape.

1. Ivor Cutler discussing breasts, a great fondness of mine; Ivor Cutler that is.
2. Some electronica Ė its ok

3. Strange piece of music with odd / out of tune Scandinavian sounding vocals.
4. Slightly kookie female vocal.  its ok.
5. I donít get this church music thing.

Glad those three are over not my cup of tea.

6. Ah rock music, guitars etc. Iím feeling more comfortable.
7. From the Nationalís latest output. The Knitnurse has an obsession with Matt Berringer and I been taken to see them several times. They are annoyingly good.
8 The wonderful Mark Linkous. of Sparklehorse. A great loss.
9. Nice bit of new /alt country. First one I wanted to know who it is.
10 Some fiddle music. My guess itís American and young. The playing is too quick to be British. Bet Iím totally wrong. Good though.
11 Lovely piano intro. Reminded me of a Sandy Denny track. Itís good
12. I know and like these guys. Remind me.
13. That was nice intro and now weíre into the Shipping Forecast. My first response it must be the exceptionally annoying Public Service Broadcasting but then I have in my mind it may be River of Slime in which case itís a masterpiece.
14. Ivor to finish, lovely.

If we are looking at this analytically it scored 11 out 14 or a 78% success rate.
As a mix tape it worked well except that strange 3 track interlude.

My initial thoughts to the identity of the mixer where breasts at the beginning followed by something electronic it must be Funky. But the National track made  me think again.

So thanks to my mixer. I do enjoy receiving them.

kwaing

« Reply #23 on: Mon, Apr 07, 2014, 00:11 AM »
78% from Reg Banks - that's a B+, yes? alriiighty! i put this together when i should've been last minute packing my suitcase for the US ... what, no towel?!

i can't remember much of what was on there, other than 3, 4 and 5 by king creosote  ;)
i'll have no doubt written the track listing down on an old envelope.   

Reg Banks

« Reply #24 on: Mon, Apr 07, 2014, 17:25 PM »
Ah so that's why it came wrapped in a towel.

I'll recycle the recycling and see if I've got the envelope.

czefski

« Reply #25 on: Tue, Apr 08, 2014, 13:29 PM »
I'm loving the Public Service Broadcast album, don't know why it took me so long to buy it.

funky_nomad

« Reply #26 on: Tue, Apr 08, 2014, 13:49 PM »
I'm loving the Public Service Broadcast album, don't know why it took me so long to buy it.
It's true - the world DOES catch up eventually...  8)

Actually, The War Room EP is better than the album (I have some issues with the sequencing of the album, plus they could've picked better stuff off the first EP for the album). And catch them live if you can - they really do put on an excellent show.

Bootsfordancing

« Reply #27 on: Tue, Apr 08, 2014, 14:36 PM »
think this link still works.... French TV thingy from last summer...
http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/public-service-broadcasting-aux-trans-musicales-2013-145591 :)

DemonInDisguise

« Reply #28 on: Tue, Apr 08, 2014, 16:39 PM »

Snap. Picked it up in Fopp (Glasgow) yesterday. Only regret is that I didn't grab The War Room EP at the same time - it was only £6. Grabbed me right from the first track - has a vibe not unlike Soundphiles by Kinobe. Guitar and banjo too, what's not to love?

Also managed to pick up a copy of Buff Tracks #3 - With Punchlines EP. A successful day out.

baldpar

« Reply #29 on: Tue, Apr 08, 2014, 21:06 PM »
Well I've listened to my mix few times now and will now go over it with you. I have to admit that I didn't recognise many of the tracks / artists at all.  There's a lot of music out there that I am obviously not familiar with.

Track 1 - Disc cleaning instructions as an introduction. Very funny.

Track 2 - Starts off with two minutes of instrumental electronica then an ethereal female vocal kicks in. A bit long at 7 minutes. No idea who it is.

Track 3 - More instrumental electronica, shorter than track 2. Nice, no idea who it is.

Track 4 - Similar to track 3. Pleasant enough. Again I have no idea who this is.

Track 5 - Electronica again with a bit more piano. No vocals and I'm clueless as to who it might be.

Track 6 - Some guitars and a male vocal. Short and catchy. I think this is Jagwar Ma. I like it.

Track 7 - More guitars but a scuzzier sound. Male vocals. Short and catchy again. No idea who though.

Track 8 - A female vocal this time. The vocals are a bit distorted. More guitars. I would listen to more of this band.

Track 9 - I think this might be This Is The Kit. A slower and more downbeat tune.

Track 10 - A slow male vocal with plenty of percussion My lack of musical knowledge is beginning to astound me !

Track 11 - An instrumental song with some guitar feedback and some drums. More downbeat then some of the other guitar tracks. Quite a lengthy track. Maybe a bit long.

Track 12 - Some high pitched keyboard which sound a bit glockenspiel ish which then turn darker and broodier. I'm interested to find out who this is by as again I have no idea who the artist is.

Track 13 - Some techno ish electronica with no vocals.

Track 14 - I know this !  :) It's Elfstendentacht by Public Service Broadcasting. Great track. This song isn't on their fantastic album.

Track 15 - More synths with a male vocal. Enjoyable. We're back to not knowing who this is by.

Track 16 - Another instrumental track with piano and percussion. I like it.

Track 17 - Jimmy Shand - The Bluebell Polka !! This song was played at the end of Dunfermline games at East End Park. Brought back memories of going to the football at East End Park with my dad.

Track 18 - It's the disc cleaning lady again. Very funny.

So out of 18 tracks I am only familiar with four of them. My mix has been an introduction to a lot of music and I am grateful for that. Thanks to my mystery mixer and to Fuctifano for organising it  :) :)