Author Topic: club de mix revue  (Read 29082 times)

Deegers

czefski

Re: club de mix revue
« Reply #181 on: Mon, May 12, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Good review Funky
They all think they are JY
Except me that is

Deegers

« Reply #182 on: Mon, May 12, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Good review Funky
Except me that is

Nice one Czefski, san!
You are more like Peter Pan.

czefski

« Reply #183 on: Mon, May 12, 2014, 09:38 AM »
Good review Funky
Except me that is

Nice one Czefski, san!
You are more like Peter Pan.
Or maybe Wendy*

*this was purely for haiku purposes, I do not beleive myself to be anything like the fictional character Wendy Darling.

Deegers

« Reply #184 on: Tue, May 27, 2014, 19:41 PM »
I have received two other discs which I will review in due course.

Shall we now make this the general mix disc review thread?

Deegers

« Reply #185 on: Sat, May 31, 2014, 16:31 PM »
So, as he never got a review in formal fashion I will do the disc that I received from mr ade first.

I feel safe in admonishing the recipient for not responding.  Mr ade always gives good mixage and to not respond is tres bad form.  This disc is a very world one, JY would like this., I believe.  Itís either a nod to the world cup or the Eurovision, either way let me take on the journey that this mix creates and the locations we visit.

1.   With my collie dog at my feet and a pint of Smithwicks in my hand, the table next to me has a fiddle player and bloke picking a guitar the crack of the Irish has ceased and as I look across the pub everyone is living out their own personal lament as we listen intently and reflectively to this one.

2.   The cold winter chill bites through my coat as I walk down htis run down Newcastle street.  There used to be a working community here but it is sadly long gone and the scars of a community dying from its labours long past but proudly remembered are sound-tracked by the unthanks.

3.   The crackling of the open camp fire around which we are gathered is abruptly interrupted as the accordion and washboard percussionist strike up a jaunty tune, the heavily moustached violinist next to me joins in and the dusky lady, dazzling in her long flowing dress starts singing a paean to the old times and the trials of being a traveller.  We all take a deep draw from our gauche cigarettes and blow smoke out into the cold Brittany evening.

4.   And then without a bat of an eyelid we are fusing the old with the new, samplers and synths are deployed with the fiddler playing and the younger travellers around us adding subtle modern magic to an old fiddle tune.  We meet in a place where the new respects the old.

5.   After the quiet of the siesta and after the sun sets, the latino infused marimbas and the collective choir of ladies light up this South American evening.  There is clapping and there is jesting, a single voice within the choir engages with the crowd who have gathered to take in the spectacle, whisky Stephen raises a glass and we drink in the rhythm of the moon hop.

6.   Lagos at night is one hell of a funky town.  Itís a mishmash of 70ís disco and the muscle shores horns, the dancing around me is as intense as the atmosphere, this is a pastiche of the 70ís/80ís clubs of NYC where anything goes and quite often does.

7.   The drunk next to me at the bar has just collapsed and there seems to be chaos around me as closing time is called.  Small town America exposes all the creatures of the night.  We are the disaffected.  The singer on the stage is recounting a dialogue between the mating rituals of men and women.  With too much drink in our systems, its clear the jocko males around me donít get it.

8.   So we leave the bar and, you know what we feel a bit peckish, but all around us are sky high neon signs that advertise the fast food industry, and music to our ears there is a busker belting out his admonishment of the corporation that uses the golden arches as its giant attractor.  It sounds like it could be a pastiche of gummi bako but he is safe back in Scotland., we agree and go looking for a kebab instead.

9.   Passing through the slums of parkhead we are in a part of Glasgow that is undergoing transition.  And at its heart is the mecca of the stadium in which the Glasgow Celtic FC play, our tickets are in the northern stand and all around us is chaos, Welcome to the Jungle is the chant.

10.   Eastern Europe rocks! Freed from the constraints of the historical oppression of the iron curtain, there is a modern vibe, which resonates, the historical is given a modern feel and the bad in this bar rock out a local tune in a very western style.

11.   Wigan Pier, why on earth is this place called Wigan pier?  We are at least 60 miles from the coast and there is nary a beach in sight.  The cold ďManchesterĒ rain drizzles endlessly on our heads but the buzz of the mod influenced dancers in their brogues and their shrink to fit Leviís is palpable.

12.   Around me the males are drinking alcohol and eating botanas, the boys in the corner are playing cards and dominos and the small stage to my right is slowly being populated by a ramshackle collection of mariachi dressed individuals with horns.  This could end in disaster but from the opening beats of the drummer and a baseline from which Marvin would be very much impressed we are encouraged to 8 mins .,of sexual healing.  Now if only there were some women here!

13.   This subterranean bar could be anywhere in the world but the feel is very much western European.  The audience is very much male and we are very much introspective, looking into out beers and shots, but being encouraged to engage with our thoughts, itís a dark environment with a dark vibe.

14.   London is without doubt a global mish mash of cultures and fusions.  It is a bastion of times passed, a sabre of paradise, but in which many external influences have been adopted.  The sound systems reverberate around us as we pass through Brixton, dub culture and a nod to Wilmot reign supreme.

15.   The albert hall stands proud as a location for classical music.  We are ushered inside and the most beautiful music starts to be played.  Our minds appreciate the chord and the playing but there is a modern, take on this beats and textures that we are not overly familiar with, are we in the albert hall or immersed in a Clint Mansell soundtrack?

16.   Ibiza is both tranquil and hedonistic but at sunset we head to the Cafť Del mar, sip a cold one and gaze out to the Mediterranean as the sun sets.  The DJ aids and abets us as e relax and soak in the beautiful sight through shimmering electronics and relaxing sounds.

17.   It well past midnight and the chimes of the music brings us acutely out of our festivity-fueled slumber.  The lady on the stage is sirenesque in her delivery and the melodic  modern accompaniment reminds us that we are not in the UK but abroad and absorbing the culture.

18.   Tokyo, is a complex town, it is a collection of different cultures and sounds, it draws on all sorts of influences, esp. those of London and the UK.  The karaoke has thankfully been turned off and  the heavily sampled public service broadcasting from the UK hits a resonant chord.

As ever, nice mix Ade, thanks for a journey through different styles cultures and music.

I hope my review did it proud!

funky_nomad

« Reply #186 on: Sat, May 31, 2014, 21:11 PM »
^^^ Trying too hard...

Deegers

« Reply #187 on: Sat, May 31, 2014, 21:46 PM »
^^^^^^^^^ COCK

a.heathen

• Wherever I go so does me go.
« Reply #188 on: Sun, Jun 01, 2014, 00:49 AM »
You're just jealous, cock.

Yes, thanks DGS, a very incisive set of speculations. Some wildly wrong, some inadvertently on the "Nose".
I tried hard to match this mix to its recipient, and the artists performing tracks 1 to 17 spell out the name of track 18.

1.   With my collie dog at my feet and a pint of Smithwicks in my hand, the table next to me has a fiddle player and bloke picking a guitar the crack of the Irish has ceased and as I look across the pub everyone is living out their own personal lament as we listen intently and reflectively to this one.
But no, it is Scotch Beer you should be drinking for this is from there.
Albeit performed by a scot on a Norwegian fiddle and a Norwegian Blue grass afficianado
1) Culloden Waltz  Juhani Silvola, Sarah-Jane Summers

2.   The cold winter chill bites through my coat as I walk down htis run down Newcastle street.  There used to be a working community here but it is sadly long gone and the scars of a community dying from its labours long past but proudly remembered are sound-tracked by the unthanks.
These three do smoothly glide into one another.
You got this one right of course.
2) Monkey Dung Man       The Unthanks

3.   The crackling of the open camp fire around which we are gathered is abruptly interrupted as the accordion and washboard percussionist strike up a jaunty tune, the heavily moustached violinist next to me joins in and the dusky lady, dazzling in her long flowing dress starts singing a paean to the old times and the trials of being a traveller.  We all take a deep draw from our gauche cigarettes and blow smoke out into the cold Brittany evening.
Ah, mais c'est cajun, mon cher ami. Bien sur, une femme d'une famille des Bon Accordionists.
3) Eunice, Louisiana  Sarah Savoy

4.   And then without a bat of an eyelid we are fusing the old with the new, samplers and synths are deployed with the fiddler playing and the younger travellers around us adding subtle modern magic to an old fiddle tune.  We meet in a place where the new respects the old.
Yes. One of the great bands from the Romanian gypsy brotherhood. See their interpretation of the classics.
Perhaps I can belatedly claim this as an antiFaragian blow. Romany and Brit in Unison.
4) Homecoming        Taraf de HaÔdouks/Tunng

5.   After the quiet of the siesta and after the sun sets, the latino infused marimbas and the collective choir of ladies light up this South American evening.  There is clapping and there is jesting, a single voice within the choir engages with the crowd who have gathered to take in the spectacle, whisky Stephen raises a glass and we drink in the rhythm of the moon hop.
Remarkably African soundng, isn't it? Yet it's from Colombia.
Yes. Whisky Stephen, indeed.
5) Homenaje a Justino      Grupo Socavon

6.   Lagos at night is one hell of a funky town.  Itís a mishmash of 70ís disco and the muscle shores horns, the dancing around me is as intense as the atmosphere, this is a pastiche of the 70ís/80ís clubs of NYC where anything goes and quite often does.
The hot new global fusion sound. I do wish there were translations or even english language versions, as the stories sound like they'd be amazing.
6) The Talking Fish (Asem Usem Iyak)       Ibibio Sound Machine

7.   The drunk next to me at the bar has just collapsed and there seems to be chaos around me as closing time is called.  Small town America exposes all the creatures of the night.  We are the disaffected.  The singer on the stage is recounting a dialogue between the mating rituals of men and women.  With too much drink in our systems, its clear the jocko males around me donít get it.
Another one I could retroactively claim to be "current affairs". But no, the furore about the young man who could not get a date ("date") has shown there are plenty of men who don't get it and that's why they don't get "it".
7) Girls Say      Vic Chesnutt

8.   So we leave the bar and, you know what we feel a bit peckish, but all around us are sky high neon signs that advertise the fast food industry, and music to our ears there is a busker belting out his admonishment of the corporation that uses the golden arches as its giant attractor.  It sounds like it could be a pastiche of gummi bako but he is safe back in Scotland., we agree and go looking for a kebab instead.
I have often pointed out that GB reminded me of this man when I first heard him. Gonzo jazz and hard hitting political lyrics aside. This one goes back to my first year in London. Today I saw a pub in Kings Norton that has been "Maccy D'ed" Sad times.
8) Better Comin' Out Than Goin' In       Eugene Chadbourne

9.   Passing through the slums of parkhead we are in a part of Glasgow that is undergoing transition.  And at its heart is the mecca of the stadium in which the Glasgow Celtic FC play, our tickets are in the northern stand and all around us is chaos, Welcome to the Jungle is the chant.
That's just mean. And you didn't mention this was the infinitely sexier welcome of Etta James.
9) Welcome to the Jungle      Etta James   

10.   Eastern Europe rocks! Freed from the constraints of the historical oppression of the iron curtain, there is a modern vibe, which resonates, the historical is given a modern feel and the bad in this bar rock out a local tune in a very western style.
Yeah, many military bands used to secretly practice western music, ska and rock n roll being popular.
And here's another Gypsy band that someone heard when Romania was a dark transylvanian communist state.
Great times had when they meet up with Taraf Do Haidouks :-)
They have a song about Red Bull too. Balkan Beat Box and Gogol Bordello's leaders have introduced Mrs Heathen and I to some exciting bands.
10) L' Homme Qui Boit (The Man Who Drinks)       Mahala Rai Banda

11.   Wigan Pier, why on earth is this place called Wigan pier?  We are at least 60 miles from the coast and there is nary a beach in sight.  The cold ďManchesterĒ rain drizzles endlessly on our heads but the buzz of the mod influenced dancers in their brogues and their shrink to fit Leviís is palpable.
It does have an out on the floor vibe, but this is more Booker T Funk than Northern Soul. And heavy references the Lennonesque lyrics. A B side from Karl Wallinger's more Prince-oriented days.
11) World Groove (Do The Mind Guerilla)      World Party

12.   Around me the males are drinking alcohol and eating botanas, the boys in the corner are playing cards and dominos and the small stage to my right is slowly being populated by a ramshackle collection of mariachi dressed individuals with horns.  This could end in disaster but from the opening beats of the drummer and a baseline from which Marvin would be very much impressed we are encouraged to 8 mins .,of sexual healing.  Now if only there were some women here!
Class tune, Classy band, Shake your class and the Classy women will follow.
12) Sexual Healing       Hot 8 Brass Band

13.   This subterranean bar could be anywhere in the world but the feel is very much western European.  The audience is very much male and we are very much introspective, looking into out beers and shots, but being encouraged to engage with our thoughts, itís a dark environment with a dark vibe.
Colorado. Micro label collective Blank Tape Records focus around Haunted Windchimes, but this guys is a creative tour de force like our very own Mr King Creolesot.
13) Little Ghost      Inaiah Lujan
http://blanktaperecords.org/

14.   London is without doubt a global mish mash of cultures and fusions.  It is a bastion of times passed, a sabre of paradise, but in which many external influences have been adopted.  The sound systems reverberate around us as we pass through Brixton, dub culture and a nod to Wilmot reign supreme.
http://www.whosampled.com/sample/578/Shantel-Bucovina-Wilmoth-Houdini-Black-but-Sweet/
http://www.whosampled.com/sample/577/The-Sabres-of-Paradise-Wilmot-Wilmoth-Houdini-Black-but-Sweet/
But yeah Sabres probably did inspire this Germanic bearer of great Balkan beats.
And now I have incovered some fine remixes.
It's only like Western Europe because NIGEL FARAGE says so.
14) Bucovina [Omfo Dub]      Shantel

15.   The albert hall stands proud as a location for classical music.  We are ushered inside and the most beautiful music starts to be played.  Our minds appreciate the chord and the playing but there is a modern, take on this beats and textures that we are not overly familiar with, are we in the albert hall or immersed in a Clint Mansell soundtrack?
More Accordion. This time the crazy finns with strings of Time.
Had not made the Mansell connection, but it's definitely there.
15) Plasma       Kimmo Pohjonen, Samuli Kosminen; Kronos Quartet

16.   Ibiza is both tranquil and hedonistic but at sunset we head to the Cafť Del mar, sip a cold one and gaze out to the Mediterranean as the sun sets.  The DJ aids and abets us as we relax and soak in the beautiful sight through shimmering electronics and relaxing sounds.
I discovered this band just ahead of the curve, because a nice young lady asked if she could take a photo of me for a painting (fully clothed, in a busy pub, sorry ladies) and it turned out to be the woman who painted the cover of this album by EIY and I liked it a lot. I might have to buy that picture. Dorian Gray /Adrian Brown. Geddit?
Anyway, proof that Shoreditch is not all hipster trash.
16) GLITTER RECESSION       East India Youth

17.   It well past midnight and the chimes of the music brings us acutely out of our festivity-fueled slumber.  The lady on the stage is sirenesque in her delivery and the melodic  modern accompaniment reminds us that we are not in the UK but abroad and absorbing the culture.
In the film Only Lovers Left Alive, they go to a bar in Tangier to watch a singer.
It is Yasmine, who has emerged from the electronic pop of the Middle East to create this sort of beautiful sound.
I am going to see her perform in a couple o' weeks. I hope Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinto are there to enjoy it too.
17) Ya Nass      Yasmine Hamdan

18.   Tokyo, is a complex town, it is a collection of different cultures and sounds, it draws on all sorts of influences, esp. those of London and the UK.  The karaoke has thankfully been turned off and  the heavily sampled public service broadcasting from the UK hits a resonant chord.

These guys INVENTED sampling.
Well, the kind you are alluding to.
PSB are good, but will never be as cool as Colourbox.
Samples The Prisoner, 2001 and Westworld :-)
Has Joan Collins saying "sex makes your skin glow and your eyes sparkle"
Jeez, this is 30 years old!
18) A track by Colourbox.

Thanks for taking the time to review this.
I went for a filmic travelogue effect and you latched onto that. Starting at home and being like a modern reworking of Wim Wenders' Until The End Of The World.
I get told off for all the foreign language songs, but figured the chap ...
or woman that this was intended for would know some of the sounds. And enjoy it.

In summary
1) Culloden Waltz      3:44   Juhani Silvola, Sarah-Jane Summers
2) Monkey Dung Man      2:07   The Unthanks
3) Eunice, Louisiana      3:46   Sarah Savoy
4) Homecoming      3:13   Taraf de HaÔdouks/Tunng
5) Homenaje a Justino      5:34   Grupo Socavon
6) The Talking Fish (Asem Usem Iyak)      4:41   Ibibio Sound Machine
7) Girls Say      3:24   Vic Chesnutt
8) Better Comin' Out Than Goin' In      1:49   Eugene Chadbourne
9) Welcome to the Jungle      3:01   Etta James   
10) L' Homme Qui Boit (The Man Who Drinks)      3:51   Mahala Rai Banda
11) World Groove (Do The Mind Guerilla)      2:49   World Party
12) Sexual Healing      8:57   Hot 8 Brass Band
13) Little Ghost      5:12   Inaiah Lujan
14) Bucovina [Omfo Dub]      4:42   Shantel
15) Plasma      6:16   Kimmo Pohjonen, Samuli Kosminen; Kronos Quartet
16) GLITTER RECESSION      5:07   East India Youth
17) Ya Nass      3:14   Yasmine Hamdan
18) ???      4:19   Colourbox

fuctifano

« Reply #189 on: Sun, Jun 01, 2014, 21:32 PM »
top work ade/dgs :)

that mix sounds ace.

fuctifano

« Reply #190 on: Sun, Jun 08, 2014, 22:32 PM »
http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/music/tale-of-the-mixtape.24399903

mixtapws, withered hand, vic galooway. I think. I dunno tho I didn't read it all.

anybody waiting for a mix/reviews ? I have a list but its been toosunny to check it.

fuctifano

« Reply #191 on: Sun, Jun 08, 2014, 22:40 PM »
I think Nicola may be on the list.

funky_nomad

« Reply #192 on: Mon, Jun 09, 2014, 10:00 AM »
anybody waiting for a mix/reviews ? I have a list but its been toosunny to check it.
I'm waiting on a reveal, but no biggie given I was a bit late with my review.

JoJo Tipps

« Reply #193 on: Mon, Oct 31, 2016, 10:35 AM »
First time I have ever done this, so I am glad you liked it. I felt bad as i sent it, as my cd came with a homemade cover and there was obviously a bit of effort put into it. I was running so late, I just stuck it in an envelope and sent it off.

Regarding the mix, I received... Sorry I haven't left a review, but I am enjoying it and playing it in the car a lot. Everyone in the car gave out a cheer, when the first track had my name in the lyrics!

The only problem is that the songs are all combined as track 1, so whenever the car is turned off, the cd goes back to the beginning, meaning I am hearing a lot more of the earlier tracks. We're off this weekend, so will try to do a review, but rest assured, the cd got a thumbs up from me!

You need a longer car journey  ;)
Couldn't resist making that the first song on the CD given your forum name. They started out as individual tracks with a link between each one but it wasn't working so, staying true to the spirit of Flo, I merged them into one long track.
If you want another copy with individual tracks just let me know - glad you like it :)

Disaster! Your cd is broken. I know it was a while ago, but any chance I could get another copy?