Author Topic: club de mix revue  (Read 29130 times)

funky_nomad

Re: club de mix revue
« Reply #30 on: Wed, Apr 09, 2014, 00:07 AM »
Well I've listened to my mix few times now and will now go over it with you. I have to admit that I didn't recognise many of the tracks / artists at all.  There's a lot of music out there that I am obviously not familiar with.

Hello. I am your mystery compiler of your mysterious compilation.

Track 1 - Disc cleaning instructions as an introduction. Very funny.

Track 2 - Starts off with two minutes of instrumental electronica then an ethereal female vocal kicks in. A bit long at 7 minutes. No idea who it is.

This is I Break Horses, from Sweden, takem from their new(ish) record, Chiaroscuro. I'm more than a bit smitten with vocalist Maria Linden - shame they performed behind a gossamer curtain when they supported Sigur Ros at the Usher Hall last year. I actually prefer their debut record, but I really like the atmosphere of this track, which is called Medicine Brush. Honest - it is. No sign of the Dettol, though...

Track 3 - More instrumental electronica, shorter than track 2. Nice, no idea who it is.

Pye Corner Audio with Electronic Rhythm No 2 from Volume 4 of their Black Mills Tapes series. For me, Pye Corner Audio are by far the best act on Ghost Box - their bass lines are just wonderful.

Track 4 - Similar to track 3. Pleasant enough. Again I have no idea who this is.

Yeah, I was going for flow with this one, although I'm surprised you didn't recognise that it's the Theme From Hallowe'en, as covered by French electro fiends Zombie Zombie from their record of John Carpenter movie theme covers. It's a great record, which only adds to confusion as to who is best between Zombi, Zomby and Zombie Zombie (the answer is, of course, Zombi...)

Track 5 - Electronica again with a bit more piano. No vocals and I'm clueless as to who it might be.

Continuing with the movie links, this is the ultra-talented Johann Johannsson from his new soundtrack to the film McCanick (no, me neither). Johannsson is one of the go-to guys for modern classical soundtrack stuff alongside Max Richter and Olafur Arnalds. It's lovely stuff.

Track 6 - Some guitars and a male vocal. Short and catchy. I think this is Jagwar Ma. I like it.

On the money - the album was a bit hit and miss, but this track (Let Her Go) just soars, like a classic Jellyfish track.

Track 7 - More guitars but a scuzzier sound. Male vocals. Short and catchy again. No idea who though.

Some guys from Northern Ireland move to Scotland to study, form a band, make a rough & ready record on an obscure Scottish label. But it's not Snow Patrol, it's Young Aviators. Cracking wee pop-punk tune, though, called Rejection Letter, which actually reminds me a bit of Snow Patrol's Starfighter Pilot. You've been warned, everyone...

Track 8 - A female vocal this time. The vocals are a bit distorted. More guitars. I would listen to more of this band.

Love this record, undoubtedly one of the releases of the year so far - it's Angel Olsen with High & Wild from Burn Your Fire For No Witness. Track it down, you won't be disappointed.

Track 9 - I think this might be This Is The Kit. A slower and more downbeat tune.

Score! Earthquake from Wriggle Out The Restless. They played a great set at Gnomegame (I think) last year. Love the guitar sound on this.

Track 10 - A slow male vocal with plenty of percussion My lack of musical knowledge is beginning to astound me !

Don't worry about it - it's hardly a mainstream release! This is Great Cities from The Ahabs, which is the latest in a long line of alter-egos of multi-talented Fence alumnus John Amino, who once sold an entire record label to Deegers. True story! If you like, you can cover the price of a new pair of pants for John by downloading the record here: http://theahabs.bandcamp.com/

Track 11 - An instrumental song with some guitar feedback and some drums. More downbeat then some of the other guitar tracks. Quite a lengthy track. Maybe a bit long.

This is Virginia Waveform by Pan-American, which is about as good as guitar drone gets. Much of their record is rubbish, but this track is crying out for a Mogwai cover.

Track 12 - Some high pitched keyboard which sound a bit glockenspiel ish which then turn darker and broodier. I'm interested to find out who this is by as again I have no idea who the artist is.

I'm awfully glad about that, as this is one of my favourite artists of recent years, Loscil. He's got loads of stuff out, and not a dud release amongst them. This is an alternative version of Estuarine which was originally found on perhaps his best-known record, Endless Falls. If you like this, dive in - you're in for a treat.

Track 13 - Some techno ish electronica with no vocals.

God, I LOVE this record - this is the track Milk from Moderat II. Moderat is a collaboration between Apparat and Modeselektor (see what they did there? Whack Germans!). Jon Hopkins has done some remix work with them, which probably wouldn't come as too much of a surprise.

Track 14 - I know this !  :) It's Elfstendentacht by Public Service Broadcasting. Great track. This song isn't on their fantastic album.

Back of the net! The 2 tracks on this single were actually commissioned for the titular ice skating race, which apparently takes place between 12 towns in Holland. It's such a big deal over there that some of the Dutch skaters competing in teh Winter Olympics were prepared to ditch Sochi for it if conditions had allowed this year's race to take place.

Track 15 - More synths with a male vocal. Enjoyable. We're back to not knowing who this is by.

And we're back in Germany, with Run Run Run by The Notwist from their new record, Close To The Glass. There's so much interesting stuff coming out of Germany these days it's hard to keep up.

Track 16 - Another instrumental track with piano and percussion. I like it.

Lovely, innit? Hauschka (real name Volker Bertelmann) is another German. He uses treated pianos to create some fascinating and original sounds. I've seen an online clip of him playing his weird, warped instruments live, and it's quite astonishing. Anyway, this is Thames Town from his latest record, Abandoned City.

Track 17 - Jimmy Shand - The Bluebell Polka !! This song was played at the end of Dunfermline games at East End Park. Brought back memories of going to the football at East End Park with my dad.

I dread to think how many time I've heard this down the years. I reckon there's a Pavlovian quality about this - play this and, no matter what I'm doing, I'll leave.

Track 18 - It's the disc cleaning lady again. Very funny.

So out of 18 tracks I am only familiar with four of them. My mix has been an introduction to a lot of music and I am grateful for that. Thanks to my mystery mixer and to Fuctifano for organising it  :) :)

Don't be fooled - Fuctifano's a mere puppet. His wife's the brains of THAT operation...

1 - Intro
2 - Medicine Brush by I Break Horses
3 - Electronic Rhythm No 2 by Pye Corner Audio
4 - Halloween Main Theme by Zombie Zombie
5 - Payphone by Johann Johannsson
6 - Let Her Go by Jagwar Ma
7 - Rejection Letter by Young Aviators
8 - High & Wild by Angel Olsen
9 - Earthquake by This Is The Kit
10 - Great Cities by The Ahabs
11 - Virginia Waveform by Pan-American
12 - Estuarine by Loscil
13 - Milk by Moderat
14 - Elfstendentocht (Part 2) by Public Service Broadcasting
15 - Run Run Run by The Notwist
16 - Thames Town by Hauschka
17 - The Bluebell Polka by the Late Great Jimmy Shand & His Band
18 - Outro

Rosti

« Reply #31 on: Wed, Apr 09, 2014, 09:55 AM »
1 - Intro
12 - Estuarine by Loscil
13 - Milk by Moderat
18 - Outro

That looks like a fine mix.

fuctifano

« Reply #32 on: Wed, Apr 09, 2014, 09:59 AM »

Don't be fooled - Fuctifano's a mere puppet. His wife's the brains of THAT operation...

True dat, and the looks if we're being honest.
( hi mrs fano ;) )

funky_nomad

« Reply #33 on: Wed, Apr 09, 2014, 10:12 AM »
1 - Intro
12 - Estuarine by Loscil
13 - Milk by Moderat
18 - Outro

Don't feed his ego, you know what he's like...

kwaing

« Reply #34 on: Wed, Apr 09, 2014, 12:22 PM »
PARANOID!

Cactus Breath

« Reply #35 on: Wed, Apr 09, 2014, 17:35 PM »
I gave this a live review whilst working from home this afternoon
01   Film soundtrack in the style of Isaac Hayes some nice keys n horns on this I would guess this is a modern tune and not one from the 70’s.

02   Funky Penguin think I’ve got this Kool & The Gang? Or maybe it’s Ike Turner

03   A little funky number with a male singer with a gritty voice

04   Another on the R&B n Funk tip I’ve got a few of these style comps but don’t know this once.

05   Change of style a bit of Rock N Roll style with 50’s sounding keys and shadows sounding guitar

06   On to early calypso/reggae now British 60’s I think I have a track by this guy Lord somebody? Or is it Rico Rodriguez now that we have a trombone solo, if it’s him I’ve enjoyed him singing on Jules show over the last few years.

07   More in the same style I’m liking this, are these tracks from an Honest Johns compilation?

08   Got an Asian tune now is this Suhail?

09   An instrumental can’t really tell you the style but I am enjoying it

10   This reminds me of Adrian Crowley only it’s a female singer!
Nice quiet track with lots of use of space.  Hold on it’s livening up a bit at the end.

11    I gave it a minute soz didn’t like it

12   starts a bit like a Joy Division track like it

13   Sounds 80’s new wave but is probably a new track nice use of keys with a fast beat not to keen on the vocals

14   This sounds familiar, or maybe its just the drum intro I’ve heard before. Didn’t do too much for me maybe it was The Splits?

15   Acoustic male singer, like this nice keys and background sound of kids playing.  Now joined by another singer.  Need to know who this is.  Maybe it’s Slow Club?

16   Nice Americana pedal steel going on here behind the singer the male singers a bit to MOR for me.

17   Is this UNPOC? Sounds like him, like it anyway

18   Fencey sounding is it Liz Green?

19   Now it sounds like we are off to Africa.  I like Fela Kuti and William Onyebour but a lot of other African music is not quite my scene this tune is good though.

Well thank you mixer I look forward to the reveal there are some tunes I will be investigating further Oh and thx for the industrial parts catalog that came with the mix too the recycling figures for Ashford needed the help.

fuctifano

« Reply #36 on: Wed, Apr 09, 2014, 23:07 PM »
I gave this a live review whilst working from home this afternoon

Hello CB!

01   Film soundtrack in the style of Isaac Hayes some nice keys n horns on this I would guess this is a modern tune and not one from the 70’s.

The first few tracks are all about the funk. This is Moon Trek by The Mike Theodore Orchestra. I put this on the very fisrt mix club cd on the beef.

02   Funky Penguin think I’ve got this Kool & The Gang? Or maybe it’s Ike Turner

do the Funky Penguin (pt1) Rufus Thomas. Always a crowd pleaser at the dj party in my head.

03   A little funky number with a male singer with a gritty voice

(Everyone wanna get rich) Right away by doctor john. The funk keeps rolling.

04   Another on the R&B n Funk tip I’ve got a few of these style comps but don’t know this onc

Total destruction to your mind - Swamp dogg. This popped up on a listening post somewhere. Great fun.

05   Change of style a bit of Rock N Roll style with 50’s sounding keys and shadows sounding guitar

someday - the growlers. I really 'dig' this band although I've maybe overplayed them a bit. they do a festival called beach goth party which I imagine to be like homegame but with more sex and drugs. unless I've been going to the wrong parties at homegame.

06   On to early calypso/reggae now British 60’s I think I have a track by this guy Lord somebody? Or is it Rico Rodriguez now that we have a trombone solo, if it’s him I’ve enjoyed him singing on Jules show over the last few years.

Loverboy - Derrick Morgan. This was played on live from the latin quarter the other week. although it took Dylan goes electric about a week to remember what it's called. Good song for grooving about to while drinking Malibu I find

07   More in the same style I’m liking this, are these tracks from an Honest Johns compilation?

Zombie Jamboree  -King Flash and the Calypso Carnival. I don't know what an honest john comp is - maybe I should check it oot? Loads of fun with the kids making up lyrics to this. Zombie Tangerines, tub of margarine, sunday humming bees etc...

08   Got an Asian tune now is this Suhail?

Arghane manine - Terakaft. This one and the last one were actually on an Errors mix thing on soundcloud. loads of good stuff on there. so I knicked the idea of putting these two track back to back, belly to belly.

09   An instrumental can’t really tell you the style but I am enjoying it

Silver factory theme- dean & britta. I got a mix from deegers with one of their songs on it. the whole album is really good. 13 most beautiful.

10   This reminds me of Adrian Crowley only it’s a female singer!
Nice quiet track with lots of use of space.  Hold on it’s livening up a bit at the end.

Light - Slow down, Molasses. Yeah, I like how it turns into a house song with trumpets at the end! I see what you mean by the AC ref - hadn't got that before. Rubbish name for a band though!

11    I gave it a minute soz didn’t like it

]Year of the Cat - book Group. maybe its the contrast from the last track? although I thought they ended and started quite well together - oh well! This is local (Edinburgh) lads book group. always good live.

12   starts a bit like a Joy Division track like it

No youth - cosmic thoughts. don't know a lot about this but it sounds fun to play.

13   Sounds 80’s new wave but is probably a new track nice use of keys with a fast beat not to keen on the vocals

Heebbie Jeebies - St Kilda mailboat. Good fun. Another hit with the kids!

14   This sounds familiar, or maybe its just the drum intro I’ve heard before. Didn’t do too much for me maybe it was The Splits?

You are the generation that bought more shoes and you get what you deserve - johnnyboy. Apparently this was a minor hit in the 90s. I love the melody. and the song title.

15   Acoustic male singer, like this nice keys and background sound of kids playing.  Now joined by another singer.  Need to know who this is.  Maybe it’s Slow Club?

I'll Be on the water - Akron Family. Got this on a mix from Doc Love. Nice innit. It's the highlight of wjaterver album it's on

16   Nice Americana pedal steel going on here behind the singer the male singers a bit to MOR for me.

Wherever there is light - No-man. Don't know much about this tbh it just kinda found it's way onto the cd. point taken about the mor thang. Thought it went well with what went before and after though.

17   Is this UNPOC? Sounds like him, like it anyway

Tugboat - Meursault. a galaxie 500 cover. I think this is great. simple lyrics but just perfect.

18   Fencey sounding is it Liz Green?

Nomad - Emily Hall. She does an excellent cover of a phosphorescent song - this isn't it though...

19   Now it sounds like we are off to Africa.  I like Fela Kuti and William Onyebour but a lot of other African music is not quite my scene this tune is good though

Sabu Yerkoy - Ali Farka toure/Toumani diabate. Nice wee gentle tune to see us out. according to the sleeve notes this is a song from cuba. Everybody likes cuba, right?

Well thank you mixer I look forward to the reveal there are some tunes I will be investigating further Oh and thx for the industrial parts catalog that came with the mix too the recycling figures for Ashford needed the help.

Glad you enjoyed it! To be honest I had great fun putting it together, so everyone's happy  ;) 8)

1. Moon Trek - Mike Theodore Orchetra
2. Do the funky Penguin  - Rufus Thomas
3. (Everybody wanna get Rich) Right Away - Doctor John
4. Total Destruction to your Mind - Swamp Dogg
5. Someday - The Growlers
6. Loverboy - Derrick Morgan
7. Zombie Jamboree - King Flash & The Calyso Carnival
8 Arghane Manine - Terakaft
9. Silver Factory Theme - Dean & Britta
10 Light - Slow Down, molasses
11 Year of the Cat - Book Group
12 No Youth - Cosmic Thoughts
13 Heebie Jeebies - St Kilda Mailboat
14 You Are the Generation That Bought More Shoes and You Get What You Desreve - Johnnyboy
15 I'll Be On The Water - Akron/Family
16 Wherever There Is Light - No-Man
17 Tugboat - Meursault
18 Nomad - Emily Hall
19 Sabu Yerkoy - Ali Farke Toure/Toumani Diabate.

ravedamage

« Reply #37 on: Thu, Apr 10, 2014, 00:01 AM »

Heebbie Jeebies - St Kilda mailboat. Good fun. Another hit with the kids!

My mate Iain runs the label St Kilda Mailboat are on…down (up) in Leith…they are all good eggs.

He came from a gubbin' ectos, loving' weegie hoose and US hip-hop background (in his youth), so I was weel taken aback when he played me their stuff a year or so ago. People, eh? Fu' o' surprises. Constantly.

St Kilda are great live byraway, catch em if ye can.

ravedamage

« Reply #38 on: Thu, Apr 10, 2014, 00:02 AM »
Oops, no sure how I managed that…the gubbins attributed to Mr 'fano above are my words. Nae edit feature…sort it oot, Janny!

Rosti

« Reply #39 on: Thu, Apr 10, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Thank you so much to my mixer. Fine mix. Really enjoyed this bar a couple of tracks which didn’t  do too much for me. Excuse my cloth eared twonkery.
Might be an age thing too, but I’m sure I am in possession of some of the tracks I can’t quite pin down.

Track 1 – The Go Team /Ladyflash. Nice. Good start
Track 2 – Seems really familiar, but I can’t pin this down at all. Real Estate?
Track 3 -  Again familiar. Wanted to say Mark Kozelek at first, but no.
Track 4 – Is this the Beta Band? Again, probably not. Great track though.
Track 5 – First ‘interlude’ track. No idea who this is at all and on first listen I thought
wtf. Grew on me though and I’d be keen to know who this is. “Porcupine or Pineapple!!! Spiky, spiky!!!”  Thrash pop punk.
Track 6 – The one track that didn’t really work for me. No idea who, but a bit irritating by the end. Sorry.
Track 7 – Love this. Nice Cello, driving bass, drums more Cello. Very uplifting instrumental.
Track 8 – Otis/Durutti Colmn – stone cold classic.
Track 9 – Another ‘interlude’ (as track 5) – great.
Track 10 – Another one that is frustratingly familiar! No. Love it though.
Track 11 – Stiff Little Fingers/Back to front.. I feel my mixer has given his identity away now.  :)
Track 12 – The Rakes – Work, work , work (Pub, club, sleep). Great track.
Track 13 – Interlude – I need to know who this band are.
Track 14 – FFS. Another one I know, but can’t place. Lovely though.
Track 15 – No idea about his one. “come pick me up, take me out, fuck me up, steal my records, screw all my friends” Nice sentiments. Great track though.
Track 16 – The wonderful Buck 65/Blood of a young Wolf. Fantastic.
Track 17 – The other track on the CD that didn’t quite ‘do it’ for me.
Track 18 – Is this British Sea Power? Can’t place the track.
Track 19 – Splendour in the grass. No idea who this version is by though. Familiar again.
Track 20 – Ethereal, fragile voice. Lovely, but no idea.
Track 21 – and we end with a 9 second track, as per the interludes. Perfect.

Cheers Leckers. ;)

lolsmit

• Hanx!
« Reply #40 on: Thu, Apr 10, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Thank you so much to my mixer. Fine mix. Really enjoyed this bar a couple of tracks which didn’t  do too much for me. Excuse my cloth eared twonkery.
Might be an age thing too, but I’m sure I am in possession of some of the tracks I can’t quite pin down.

Track 5 – First ‘interlude’ track. No idea who this is at all and on first listen I thought
wtf. Grew on me though and I’d be keen to know who this is. “Porcupine or Pineapple!!! Spiky, spiky!!!”  Thrash pop punk.
Track 6 – The one track that didn’t really work for me. No idea who, but a bit irritating by the end. Sorry.
Track 7 – Love this. Nice Cello, driving bass, drums more Cello. Very uplifting instrumental.
Track 11 – Stiff Little Fingers/Back to front.. I feel my mixer has given his identity away now.  :)
Track 15 – No idea about his one. “come pick me up, take me out, fuck me up, steal my records, screw all my friends” Nice sentiments. Great track though.
Track 19 – Splendour in the grass. No idea who this version is by though. Familiar again.

Cheers Leckers. ;)
:o First time I've ever been mistaken for a Hibby   >:(

Glad you seem to have enjoyed most of it, Rosti.  Shall aim to have the reveal done this evening.

Rosti

« Reply #41 on: Thu, Apr 10, 2014, 11:24 AM »

Cheers Leckers. ;)
:o First time I've ever been mistaken for a Hibby   >:(

Glad you seem to have enjoyed most of it, Rosti.  Shall aim to have the reveal done this evening.

:-[ :o

Leckers

« Reply #42 on: Thu, Apr 10, 2014, 13:05 PM »
lol. -  good guessing rosti.
back to front, eh? haven't
heard that for years. must
dig it out.

baldpar

« Reply #43 on: Thu, Apr 10, 2014, 13:40 PM »
1 - Intro
12 - Estuarine by Loscil
13 - Milk by Moderat
18 - Outro

It was indeed a fine mix  :) Cheers Funky. I'll be checking out a few of the bands that I didn't know.

lolsmit

• Hanx!
« Reply #44 on: Fri, Apr 11, 2014, 12:23 PM »

Track 1 – The Go! Team / Ladyflash. Nice. Good start
Spot on, great tune, saw them live a few times, mainly as support and really get the crowd fired up (e.g. Flaming Lips at Usher Hall a few years back)

Good stab, Modest Mouse though.  Heard this again recently in the Barber Shop in Linlithgow, while having a Turkish shave (bloody fantastic, by the way…and cheap), sounded familiar but couldn’t place it and asked the young lad.  It’s off the Moon & Antartica album from 2000 which, as I suspected, I had at home and hadn’t listened to, probably since 2001!  This track is called Gravity Rides Everything but, it’s a really good album and could have put any of the tracks in.  It’s like getting a new record when you find a rarely played or unplayed oldie.

You’re correct, it’s not Mark Kozelek.  This is the song Earlies from the Trashcan Sinatras album “I’ve Seen Everything”.  They’ve many better songs but I felt this fitted well here and was a clue to the next lot.  The Trashcans can do no wrong, to these ears.

The Earlies and Morning Wonder, plucked this from a Rough Trade Counter Culture compilation from 2007 or thereaboots that a certain KC also appears on with Klutz.

Track 5 – First ‘interlude’ track. No idea who this is at all and on first listen I thought wtf. Grew on me though and I’d be keen to know who this is. “Porcupine or Pineapple!!! Spiky, spiky!!!”  Thrash pop punk.
Haha, excellent.  It’s Brakes, with “Porcupine or Pineapple” from their third album, Touchdown.  These wee short tracks are great for sticking into mixes, whether people like them or not!!  They’re a great band though and, what some might call their “proper” songs are excellent too.  Apologies for rabitting on here but, I really love Brakes and they’re made up of Eamon (Hamilton) a founder member of British Sea Power and the brothers, Marc and Tom (Thomas) White of Electric Soft Parade…Have been lucky enough to see them live countless times and they never disappoint.  The sort of band that tire you out just from watching their on stage antics.  Sadly, we may never hear any more from them as Eamon, has moved to the States and settled-down outside New York/Jersey and is working in Real Estate!

Eamon then…

Eamon now…

Here’s hoping Lawrence O’Toole Realty allow him some time off to get Brakes back on the road and into the recording studio.  Lovely guy though and wish him well

It’s me who should be apologizing, I was intrigued when I first heard this and penciled it in for inclusion in this mix.  I subsequently decided to replace it with an equally bonkers track (Eggs by The Tranchenburg Family Slideshow Players http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtaEwAP4Ok4 )  but much easier on the ears.  I then promptly forgot about the change when it came to burning the disc.  This track is The March of the Big White Barbarians by Jack Too Jack and, having listened a few more times, irritating is how I would describe it as well.  Shame as I think it’s upset the mix.

Glad you like this one, it’s from a Remix album of Zoey Van Goey’s album Propeller Versus Wings.  The remix album is titled “Sexy Rave Eye Zooming” and includes tracks remixed by the great and the good of the Scottish music scene.  This was handed-out as part of the deal at the album proper’s launch gig at Stereo, at which Kid Canaveral supported. The track here is Escape Maps and, for me, is the best of the bunch and is the handiwork of one OnTheFly.  ZvG are no more but have a couple of very good albums to reflect on.  The singer, Kim (Moore), is a mate of my sister’s and last time I spoke to her she was on the verge of heading to an Inner Hebridean island to talk turkey with some exiled label boss?!

Track 8 – Otis/Durutti Column – stone cold classic.
Nothing to add here.

Brakes’ homage to Dick Cheney, “Cheney (Stop Being Such A Dick)”

Stumbled on this one after a very long time and played its way onto this mix, it’s The Pernice Brothers (who I know nothing about) and the track is “Zero Refills”.

Track 11 – Stiff Little Fingers/Back to front.. I feel my mixer has given his identity away now.   
Okay, insult aside, heard Back to Front again recently and was a nice reminder of the quality of songs they have outside of the better known ones (all prior to the Listen/£3.50 or less era, of course). Great live and Jim Reilly inspired me to quit playing drums in the pipe band and get a kit instead.  Hello, Jim.

Yep, really like The Rakes too.  Saw them early on at T in the Park when they appeared in, what I think was known then as, the X-Tent.  Same year as Brakes, Editors, et al.  Everyone in the tent ended up on the very small stage with the band during the last song of their set…bonkers…but in a very good way.

Most of these wee, short numbers are on Brakes’ first album, Give Blood, with just the odd one in subsequent albums.  They must have outgrown them but, not me, I’m still immature enough to get excited about them every time!  This one is Pick Up The Phone, there are a couple of versions of it kicking around and it’s my ringtone…great when it goes off somewhere inappropriate.

Aye, like this one, it’s Lloyd Cole and Woman in a Bar.  A simple, beautiful song.

This guy is big news in some quarters but, this is the only track of his I knowingly possess and have always meant to check out more of his stuff but fear disappointment.  It’s Ryan Adams and Come Pick Me Up.  Bitter, Ryan?  Probably.

Agreed, difficult to choose just one song from this album to put in the mix.

Ah well, can’t win ‘em all.  This is Twisterella by Ride and, listening back, doesn’t sit brilliantly in the mix after all.  Included it after a night of listening to lots of 90’s guff so, this was just one of a number of possibilities from that night for inclusion.

Sure is, BSP and the track is Bear off the Zeus E.P.  Excellent live but, a while since I‘ve heard them play it.  Had the happy coincidence this week of being in Nottingham for work, having to call into Sheffield on the way home to collect my missus’ new car and, as luck would have it, BSP were on at the Picturedome in Holmfirth…no Bear though.

This is the only version I know of this particular Splendor in the Grass.  It’s by The Ladybug Transistor.  This bloke, Gary Olson, has an excellent voice.  Got into them through the Track & Field label where many of the musicians were in several bands (Essex Green, Finishing School, etc.) and closely linked with the Elephant 6 Collective (Neutral Milk Hotel, et al).  The Pink Martini song Splendour in the Grass is a completely different song, right?

I think I heard Gideon Coe play this maybe a year ago and I went and bought the movie soundtrack, by Elliot Goldenthal, off the back of it.  The movie is In Dreams (1999) and this track is called Dream Baby and sung by, none other than, Elizabeth Fraser.  I’ve never seen the film.

Comma, Comma, Comma, Full Stop by Brakes.  What better way to finish.  The thing about Brakes is, as entertaining as these short ditties are, it’s not even the best thing about them.  The albums are full of great, full length songs…you won’t be disappointed (go chronologically, Give Blood, Beatific Visions and Touchdown.  There’s also a live album that I don’t currently have, Rock Is Dodelijk).

Enjoyed putting this one together although, a couple of factors combined to make it less than perfect, i.e. the aforesaid cock-up at Track 6 and ran out of space and had to remove the 40-second Brakes track “Hi, How Are You?” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDn5BwB9adA

Apologies also for failing to include an explicit language warning on the packaging…there were a few sweary tracks you wouldn’t want the kids to catch (says the guy who had a car full of 15-year old girls when Aidan Moffatt’s “Cunts” decided to make an appearance on shuffle).

Cheers Leckers. ;)
Tracklist:
Track 1:  The Go! Team - Ladyflash.
Track 2:  Modest Mouse - Gravity Rides Everything.
Track 3:  Trashcan Sinatras - Earlies.
Track 4:  The Earlies - Morning Wonder.
Track 5:  Brakes - Porcupine or Pineapple.
Track 6:  Jack Too Jack - The March of the Big White Barbarians.
Track 7:  Zoey Van Goey - Escape Maps (OTF Remix).
Track 8:  Durutti Column - Otis.
Track 9:  Brakes - Cheney.
Track 10: The Pernice Brothers - Zero Refills.
Track 11: Stiff Little Fingers - Back to Front.
Track 12: The Rakes – Work, work , work (Pub, club, sleep).
Track 13: Brakes - Pick Up The Phone.
Track 14: Lloyd Cole - Woman in a Bar.
Track 15: Ryan Adams - Come Pick Me Up.
Track 16: Buck 65 - Blood of a Young Wolf.
Track 17: Ride - Twisterella.
Track 18: British Sea Power - Bear.
Track 19: The Ladybug Transistor.
Track 20: Elizabeth Fraser - Dream Baby.
Track 21: Brakes - Comma, Comma, Comma, Full Stop.

Ahhh...maroon and white...lovely  :P