Author Topic: club de mix revue  (Read 29023 times)

a.heathen

• Wherever I go so does me go.
club de mix revue
« on: Sat, Mar 29, 2014, 18:55 PM »
 I gave my AETC HUBMIX a listen while walking through a cemetery and along a river.

1) uplifting banjo tune wherein laser beams are mixed up with mules. That crosses many circles of my Venn diagram. Nice start.

2) there's going to be a party when the wolf comes home. Says the band who may have influenced Coldplay tribute act the Mumfords of Doom. Imagine a sort of alt.folk band of the 90s.

3) I feel I should be able to name these Wannadies / Friends Theme sorts. I may even have this song."This is a song" they correctly sing. Maybe these had a bigger hit I know?

4) you know how Van Morrison pretends to be American? This might be him doing that, but being funny, audience cheers & whoops.

I will have to reevaluate on listen #2

5) Bluesy hippity hop sounding thang. Namechecking the good shizzle. Mellow. PM Don Henley.

6) Plant & Krauss. Lovely. Apparently 2nd album sessions did not work. Darn.

Oh well, at least we have Lindi Ortega covering Desperado.

7) "Almost nothing is what I can tell you about this song. Nice moping. Probably one of those ones everyone likes and I should know. Moving pictures, silent films.

8) Ah. More familiar territory. I Couldn't Bear To Be Special, by Prefab Sprout. Perfect follow on from previous track.

9) it's a song about twin towers.

Nice trippy synth almost like Tony Mansfield's mote reflective moments. I could definitely see this as an update of Sad Films. I will be wanting to.hear more by this chap.

10) pia pia piano. Boys & girls in cars. I have heard of this. Dunno who it is. Another likable moping tune.

ooh more plane crash imagery.

11) Sax.

And the first track that doesn't really saxisfy me.

12) Portishead on the other hand.

I now want to listen to the whole of Dummy and maybe an Airbus Reconstruction could have helped those plane crash songs.

13) wibbly wobbly electro folk instrumental.

14) World musack. Tabla, that throat singy sounding synth. Jazzy beats. Niiiice. Something Transglobal.

I have just passed those two blokes that were interviewed on the news this.morning on the occasion of them getting married. Nice.

This is wibbling on a bit now.

Oh, it's over.

Good work my mixer. I could listen to this again..I could even already own more than I suspect. If not, the mp3 shops of certain bands could be busy.

czefski

Re: club de mix revue
« Reply #1 on: Sat, Mar 29, 2014, 19:53 PM »
Working away for a few days this week I was able to give my mix a few listens. It's an electronica-laden synth spectacular cd courtesy, I believe, of Baldpar. Call me Agent Cooper but I think the timing of its arrival, the content of the cd and the Dunfermline postcard that came with it point in his direction.

Track 1 – OK? Ready? Let’s Do It, announces Phil Oakey as Being Boiled by the Human League gets us underway. A favourite of mine from my early teens, this, the b-side Circus of Death and the Normal’s Warm Leatherette/TVOD were rarely off the turntable and a staple of every mix tape. A great start.
Track 2 – A meandering bass line runs throughout this one before a soft female voice gives us a chorus which seems inspired by the Tom Tom Club. Pleasant enough, but 3 of the almost 5 minutes would have been enough.
Track 3 – I recognise this as Miaoux Miaoux, don’t know the song but I’m struck how much it sounds like the Lightning Seeds circa the Sense album. I really like this, which is a double whammy as I’ll check out more MM and re-visit Sense, which I loved but haven’t played for years
Track 4 – One of only 2 Chvrches songs in my collection, I think this was a freebie on itunes one day. I really liked The Mother We Share but anything else from them, including this, has left me underwhelmed. It’s not bad, just ok
Track 5 – More synth to get us started on this one which soar over the top of a Claire Groganesque female vocal, although heaven forfend that Claire would use the ‘c’ word. I’ve surprised myself by liking this as it’s not something that I’d seek out, which is the great thing about a beef/hub mix. Will be interested to find out who this is.
Track 6 – Our very own Jon Hopkins with Open Eye Signal from the excellent Immunity album.
Track 7 – Back to my teenage years with Donna Summer’s I Feel Love. Given that I’d discovered The Jam, The Clash, The Pistols and The Stranglers, along with any number of lesser quality ‘punk’ bands, this passed me by when my brother had it on a constant play. Over the years I came to really like it, but 9 minutes with added Rivers of Slime’esque knob twiddling is a bit too much for me, moved onto track 8 after about 4 minutes.
Track 8 – I was really enjoying this as an instrumental, then the vocal kicked in and spoiled it. The throaty male vocal and orgasmic grunts turn me right off and probably would have got it banned by Radio 1 in the 70’s. If there’s a fully instrumental version of this kicking about I’m in, but the singer should have a wank in his own time, not mine.
Track 9 – More synths, if Miaoux Miaoux hadn’t already been on earlier I’d have thought it was them. Not the best on the mix but, not unpleasant. Can’t really think of much more to say about it. It is what it is.
Track 10 – I’ve reached synthpop saturation point now and would love to hear a guitar, but, it’s more synthpop and to my untrained ears, this sounds like a slightly quicker version of the one that went before.
Track 11 – This is more like it, a Marine Girls feel to this one, a gentle swoony love song, a summery feel good kind of song. No idea who it is but I like it, I’m back onboard.

Track 12 – Back to a synth drum beat after the brief respite. An instrumental number which is not offensive to the ear but isn’t in the league of track 8, (without the ononism).
Track 13 – This is great, despite having absolutely none of their stuff I know it’s Public Service Broadcasting and it reminds me that I need to own their album. By the time the song is over it’s been ordered. Other than the timeless Being Boiled this is the best track on the mix, love it.

Overall it’s been really enjoyable to listen to a genre that I’m rarely exposed to. Whilst I’d probably prefer to hear them in smaller chunks, I liked most of the tracks, particularly Miauox Miauox and PSB, albums by both have now been bought since receiving this mix. I will leave most of them on my ipod and if you have an instrumental version of track 8 then I’m all ears. Chees Baldpar (?), much appreciated.

baldpar

« Reply #2 on: Mon, Mar 31, 2014, 13:12 PM »
Working away for a few days this week I was able to give my mix a few listens. It's an electronica-laden synth spectacular cd courtesy, I believe, of Baldpar. Call me Agent Cooper but I think the timing of its arrival, the content of the cd and the Dunfermline postcard that came with it point in his direction.

Track 1 – OK? Ready? Let’s Do It, announces Phil Oakey as Being Boiled by the Human League gets us underway. A favourite of mine from my early teens, this, the b-side Circus of Death and the Normal’s Warm Leatherette/TVOD were rarely off the turntable and a staple of every mix tape. A great start.
Track 2 – A meandering bass line runs throughout this one before a soft female voice gives us a chorus which seems inspired by the Tom Tom Club. Pleasant enough, but 3 of the almost 5 minutes would have been enough.
Track 3 – I recognise this as Miaoux Miaoux, don’t know the song but I’m struck how much it sounds like the Lightning Seeds circa the Sense album. I really like this, which is a double whammy as I’ll check out more MM and re-visit Sense, which I loved but haven’t played for years
Track 4 – One of only 2 Chvrches songs in my collection, I think this was a freebie on itunes one day. I really liked The Mother We Share but anything else from them, including this, has left me underwhelmed. It’s not bad, just ok
Track 5 – More synth to get us started on this one which soar over the top of a Claire Groganesque female vocal, although heaven forfend that Claire would use the ‘c’ word. I’ve surprised myself by liking this as it’s not something that I’d seek out, which is the great thing about a beef/hub mix. Will be interested to find out who this is.
Track 6 – Our very own Jon Hopkins with Open Eye Signal from the excellent Immunity album.
Track 7 – Back to my teenage years with Donna Summer’s I Feel Love. Given that I’d discovered The Jam, The Clash, The Pistols and The Stranglers, along with any number of lesser quality ‘punk’ bands, this passed me by when my brother had it on a constant play. Over the years I came to really like it, but 9 minutes with added Rivers of Slime’esque knob twiddling is a bit too much for me, moved onto track 8 after about 4 minutes.
Track 8 – I was really enjoying this as an instrumental, then the vocal kicked in and spoiled it. The throaty male vocal and orgasmic grunts turn me right off and probably would have got it banned by Radio 1 in the 70’s. If there’s a fully instrumental version of this kicking about I’m in, but the singer should have a wank in his own time, not mine.
Track 9 – More synths, if Miaoux Miaoux hadn’t already been on earlier I’d have thought it was them. Not the best on the mix but, not unpleasant. Can’t really think of much more to say about it. It is what it is.
Track 10 – I’ve reached synthpop saturation point now and would love to hear a guitar, but, it’s more synthpop and to my untrained ears, this sounds like a slightly quicker version of the one that went before.
Track 11 – This is more like it, a Marine Girls feel to this one, a gentle swoony love song, a summery feel good kind of song. No idea who it is but I like it, I’m back onboard.

Track 12 – Back to a synth drum beat after the brief respite. An instrumental number which is not offensive to the ear but isn’t in the league of track 8, (without the ononism).
Track 13 – This is great, despite having absolutely none of their stuff I know it’s Public Service Broadcasting and it reminds me that I need to own their album. By the time the song is over it’s been ordered. Other than the timeless Being Boiled this is the best track on the mix, love it.

Overall it’s been really enjoyable to listen to a genre that I’m rarely exposed to. Whilst I’d probably prefer to hear them in smaller chunks, I liked most of the tracks, particularly Miauox Miauox and PSB, albums by both have now been bought since receiving this mix. I will leave most of them on my ipod and if you have an instrumental version of track 8 then I’m all ears. Chees Baldpar (?), much appreciated.

Guilty as charged  :) I'll do a full reveal tomorrow. At work just now and then off out to see Kid Canaveral in Edinburgh tonight. Glad you enjoyed (?) most of it. Outside of Fence related music I have always been a big fan of electronic / synthy stuff. My favourite band, New Order, are responsible for this.

Congo Bongo

« Reply #3 on: Mon, Mar 31, 2014, 16:44 PM »
The mix took about three listens before it kicked in and  I began to appreciate all the nuances.

1)  The mix starts with what  can only be described as 'music hall madness'!

2)  Next we have a rollercoaster ride of 60's pop at it's most dramatic. I can see where Meat Loaf got his chops from. Classic kitsch.

3)  A breathy seductive chantress who has me weak at the knees. Wonderful.

4)  60's retro style slightly psychedelic pop, probably done by a modern band. More please.

5)  Some nice spaced out trance/dub reggae.

6) This could be off a 60's soundtrack. Again I suspect a more modern band.

7)  More 60's retro style pop. Nice 'n' cool. First part of the mix over.

8)  Now a change of feel with some nicely 'dated' folky acoustic guitar.

9)  Leading into Ivor Cutler. Always a pleasure.

10) Gentle piano instrumental.

11)  Keeping the tranquil mood with an orchestral piece, and the end of this part of the mix.

12)  That's the 'chill' over. Now we have a nice 'n' cheesy version of 'Daydream Believer'.

13)  Country/pop sung the way I would imagine Jerry Lee Lewis doing it.

14)  A 'rude' tongue in cheek bit of folky humour.

15)  Ah, a song I know. Lindisfarne - 'Fog On The Tyne'.

16)  Some Scottish traditional Scottish folk music, fiddles and all.

17)  WHO IS THIS? I think I've heard that voice. Great 'loopy' guitar, I love it.

18)  Retro poppy/rootsy sound. Could it be Supergrass?

19)  Classic Northern Soul single. 'Seven days Is Too Long' - Chuck Woods.

20)  That breathy seductive chantress again. She could read the phone book and sound sexy!

21)  Cool jazz instrumental.

22)  Lovely version of 'Blues Run The Game'.

23)  Funny interlude.

24)  Classic Dean Martin.

25)  Another slice of pop drama (80's style) to close the mix.

No home should be without this mix. It's everything a good mix should be. As soon as I get the track listing I'll start checking out some of the artists. So a big shout out to Mixmaster Supreme Bootsfordancing!

The only downside was that I had to purchase a French lexicon to fully appreciate the mix. A minor quibble though cause I have now expanded my vocabulary. 'Mercy buckets' Bootsfordancing.  ;D

Bootsfordancing

« Reply #4 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 04:11 AM »
after a good few weeks with "Dreams And How To Interpret Them" i'm as ready as can be to dive in...
1) this sounds french (late 50's early 60s maybe) post django guitar work it's great, catchy as all get out... reminds me a lot of the style Richard was playing at the "rugby club" show last april...
2) nice mix into the ether of a spacious electro piece -  no idea - very nice
3) yikes not a clue.. african acoustic...really really nice - i honestly listen to so little like this...great change
4) oh finally one i know - can't remember who but it's from the Fruit Tree Foundation - oh the rabbit chap!
5) 2 in a row....FAB towers own B Callahan/smog... can't place which album - always a treat !
6) great piano driven rocker - feel the accent in the vocals... (reminds me mike scott pushin' at classic country - before being over produced, quirkier...
7) KC  :)
8) Tales Of the Road.... ? reminds me of TV smiths explorers (bit more polished maybe)
9) great mix into a classical piece not "ride of the valkyries" so not a clue, - lovely though
10) "this is how it feels to be lonely..." not a clue sounds like an andrew lloyd webber meets scott walker over the top....
11) "Don't fence me in..." classic cowboy song, love this - used to sing my girls to sleep with this..... nice version - not gene autry that's fer sure:O
12) yeah another one i know... Frightened R... 
13) hmm "caught a cold last night"... not a clue (repeat to fade...)
14) great greasy american roots rock, voice sounds familiar.... sounds like ray wylie H fronting the replacments :)
15) more swampy americana - should know this,  great work out - older than 14 - 70s probably
16) prettiest robot - great quirky guitar workout meets arab strap - not a clue but great fun
17)  - alasdair methinks
18) yeah mista callhan again - :)
19) KC ......never talks too much
20) lovely etheral musings.. a carousel swingin round and bringing you in - with record needle noises (faux in the mix) not a clue but great mix stuff
21) cooos & horses and acoustic doodling - and contemporary yodeelling
straight into... ivor C and mudddddddd YeaH!
22) ivor c.... too funny i went there too in the mix i sent out (poll time: how many ivor c tracks on hub mixes :) ?)

wonderful stuff can't thank you enough, suspecting it's congo bongo as we both stumbled in at the end but ?????

Congo Bongo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 08:40 AM »
after a good few weeks with "Dreams And How To Interpret Them" i'm as ready as can be to dive in...

wonderful stuff can't thank you enough, suspecting it's congo bongo as we both stumbled in at the end but ?????

Yep, it's me, Congo Bongo. Glad you got some joy from the mix and as I said yours was top notch. Will send you a PM with more details.

DemonInDisguise

« Reply #6 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 10:46 AM »
Here's ma mix revue...

1. I have no idea what this is but I still laugh every time I listen to it… that's OK, it's a funny piece about a film script for a sort of animal 'Restless Natives' featuring fluffy and quack quack the man size koala bear and emperor penguin. I can't say much more except that I need to know who this is so that I can hear more. A pole position start for sure.

2. Starts off with a fairground music type texture that is then joined with a sort of percussion track built from manipulated sounds and then some electronic effects. Fairground motif re-enters. I'm open to music like this so found it interesting in a likeable way but have absolutely no idea who it is. Definitely curious to find out who it is. More Wired magazine than Smash Hits that's for sure!

3. Funky piano riff which is joined by drums and bass, quite a funky feel overall and a nice uptempo speed. Lyrics a bit hard to make out - 'turtles have short legs not for walking' ?!? Possibly a foreign band from the accent - I'd guess 60s or 70s rather than the last 20 years - never thought I'd hear myself use that phrase. Liked it, very catchy.

4. Quite dreamy and mellow. For some reason reminds me of Albatross in it's general feel - that's not a bad thing! Sounds like very early ambient music in that it has the feel but is using a real piano with, what sounds like, an early synthesiser to get wave type swooshes. Real percussion is used too. Modern ambient seems to be all synthesised sounds and drum boxes. This is really nice.

5. Wow! After that last track, turns out his track has the bass part from Albatross! Sounds like some nice Fender Rhodes piano. Vocal enters after about 1:10, subdued style… very laid back. Like it, but no idea who it is.

6. Change of pace here. Nice acoustic guitar opening, vocals begin quite quickly. Almost thought Dylan from the first couple of words, but then thought the accent was too Irish for Dylan… oh, and the singer has more than three notes in his range! The voice is very familiar but I can't put a name to it. Maybe even a slight touch of Paul Buchanan but it's definitely not him, too folky. Hmmmm… I know who this, but don't know the song, and can't put a name to the singer. Nice song, nice performance.

7.  Another acoustic number. Sounds like a young Neil Young… but pretty sure it's not him. A definite Americana feel to this one with a touch of a shuffle. A fairly short number, nice enough, although a little plain.

8. No idea, sounds like it's been recorded in a church although may just be because they have a church organ type sound. Mixed with some very unique vocal stylings. Nice guitar lines too, definitely sounds like Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster type tones. Sounds a bit like Slowdive at times but then builds to Coldplay type crescendos although it's not Coldplay and definitely not as bland as Coldplay. Have no idea who is. Damn, I should start listening to Mixing It again, if it's still on that is.

9. Opens with a synthesiser bass line and then the vocals enter. Female vocalist sounds a bit like Dolores O'Riordan (sp?) from The Cranberries. Some additional keyboard embellishments in between the vocals. Really have no idea - something about a sparrow? Wasn't a fan of The Cranberries and find this vocal delivery grates a bit. I could take it for a song or two but don't think I could do a whole album.

10. Bit of a sound collage. Pulsing synth tone keeps time and is joined by a repeating pattern picked on electric guitar with a clean tone and a female vocal that comes in and out throughout. Can't guess who it is.

11. Sped up vocals, quite funky even though it sounds like munchkins on acid! Initially thought it might be the same artist as Track 1 but don't think so now. Really liked this, quite short, almost frantic, really catchy.

12. Definitely KC singing and it's definitely a Withered Hand song cos I recognise a couple of the lines. Also the guitar style is definitely WH and not KC - KC doesn't tend to strum chords in this way. Ashamed to admit that I've only seen WH live (Cambo SITKOF book launch, and City Arts Centre on New Years Day) and haven't gotten around to buying his albums yet. Must remedy that. Great performance here.

13. Ae Fond Kiss - no idea who it is. Adrian Crowley? It's the only thing that springs to mind. I'm not a huge fan of Burns set to music, prefer to read from the page or hear a recital. Singer's been on the downers I think. It's nice enough but after some of the other tracks it doesn't really make much of an impact.

14. A wee bit of banjo - very nice. No idea but I like it. 'Play the Old Banjo' would be my guess at a title. Really nice performance. Sounds like new roots as opposed to old classics because it's a nice clean recording.

15. More banjo and that definite modern bluegrass feel. A definite 'O Brother Where Art Thou' feel or probably more like the documentary that followed it, 'Down From The Mountain'. Sounds like the kind of song that would have been a Ralph Stanley number except that this is a female vocalist. Great track. Nice to hear bluegrass where it's not at 160 beats per minute - good lyrics, great performances. Liked this a lot. Sounds a bit too rootsy for Alison Krauss - maybe not?

16. Scots traditional. 'Why am I so poor and skint all the time' - don't know - Dick Gaughan? Clutching at straws.

17. YESSSS! This is definitely the same guys as Track 1! Snish snish snish snish shish. I have no idea but this is killing me. It sounds like Absolutely but I know it's not.

18. Quite a big production. Bit of a retro sound with a baritone guitar riff underneath. A bit Pink Floyd in places, slight War of the Worlds influence and then it's all joined by mellotron (I think) and a Boss CE-2 chorus pedal turned to frantic. OK but doesn't grab me.

19. Voice and piano, recorded in a large echoing space - appears to be a song of thanks. Track had a glitch towards the end but got 2 minutes of it. Brian Wilson? Not sure.

20 - 26. Spacer tracks.

27. Secret final track? Took a minute. Sounds familiar… I've definitely heard this before… c'mon… GOT IT! 1978, Ally's Army. Not the original but a slowed down atmospheric cover. The first World Cup I really remember… well, I remember the stationery and football stickers. I was 7 years old and at Leuchars Primary School. Realised a couple of years ago that the mascot for that tournament wasn't Sport Billy as I'd always thought but was in fact called Gaucho. Anyway, I only know it's Northern Alliance because it was mentioned on a recent Hub thread. Will now be checking up on Northern Alliance.

Big thanks to the mixer, whoever you are Edinburgh person (post mark). Nothing here that I didn't like, a couple that were OK but wouldn't pursue. Overall I'd say a 80% hit rate. Need to know who 1 and 17 are, definitely need more by them. Also particularly liked 3 - 5, 8 & 11. Liked the other stuff too but just picking out highlights here.

I thought I had wide ranging tastes (although I played it a bit safe on my mix) but most of this was new to me. Great, just what I need, another list of CDs to buy. It's not even the money these days cos if you look around you can pick things up for reasonable prices, it's the time to listen to them. Give me more time!!!!

Do we publish playlists at some point to out people out of their misery?

fuctifano

« Reply #7 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 11:20 AM »
all good so far!

A full tracklist on the review is always a good idea. 8)

funky_nomad

« Reply #8 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 12:40 PM »
all good so far!

A full tracklist on the review reveal is always a good idea. 8)
Fixed that for you.

fuctifano

« Reply #9 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 13:10 PM »
all good so far!

A full tracklist on the review reveal is always a good idea. 8)
Fixed that for you.

You're such an erse good chap  ;)

funky_nomad

« Reply #10 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 13:15 PM »
"an good"???

Dearie me...

Leckers

« Reply #11 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 13:23 PM »
Here's ma mix revue...

1. I have no idea what this is but I still laugh every time I listen to it… that's OK, it's a funny piece about a film script for a sort of animal 'Restless Natives' featuring fluffy and quack quack the man size koala bear and emperor penguin. I can't say much more except that I need to know who this is so that I can hear more. A pole position start for sure.

2. Starts off with a fairground music type texture that is then joined with a sort of percussion track built from manipulated sounds and then some electronic effects. Fairground motif re-enters. I'm open to music like this so found it interesting in a likeable way but have absolutely no idea who it is. Definitely curious to find out who it is. More Wired magazine than Smash Hits that's for sure!

3. Funky piano riff which is joined by drums and bass, quite a funky feel overall and a nice uptempo speed. Lyrics a bit hard to make out - 'turtles have short legs not for walking' ?!? Possibly a foreign band from the accent - I'd guess 60s or 70s rather than the last 20 years - never thought I'd hear myself use that phrase. Liked it, very catchy.

4. Quite dreamy and mellow. For some reason reminds me of Albatross in it's general feel - that's not a bad thing! Sounds like very early ambient music in that it has the feel but is using a real piano with, what sounds like, an early synthesiser to get wave type swooshes. Real percussion is used too. Modern ambient seems to be all synthesised sounds and drum boxes. This is really nice.

5. Wow! After that last track, turns out his track has the bass part from Albatross! Sounds like some nice Fender Rhodes piano. Vocal enters after about 1:10, subdued style… very laid back. Like it, but no idea who it is.

6. Change of pace here. Nice acoustic guitar opening, vocals begin quite quickly. Almost thought Dylan from the first couple of words, but then thought the accent was too Irish for Dylan… oh, and the singer has more than three notes in his range! The voice is very familiar but I can't put a name to it. Maybe even a slight touch of Paul Buchanan but it's definitely not him, too folky. Hmmmm… I know who this, but don't know the song, and can't put a name to the singer. Nice song, nice performance.

7.  Another acoustic number. Sounds like a young Neil Young… but pretty sure it's not him. A definite Americana feel to this one with a touch of a shuffle. A fairly short number, nice enough, although a little plain.

8. No idea, sounds like it's been recorded in a church although may just be because they have a church organ type sound. Mixed with some very unique vocal stylings. Nice guitar lines too, definitely sounds like Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster type tones. Sounds a bit like Slowdive at times but then builds to Coldplay type crescendos although it's not Coldplay and definitely not as bland as Coldplay. Have no idea who is. Damn, I should start listening to Mixing It again, if it's still on that is.

9. Opens with a synthesiser bass line and then the vocals enter. Female vocalist sounds a bit like Dolores O'Riordan (sp?) from The Cranberries. Some additional keyboard embellishments in between the vocals. Really have no idea - something about a sparrow? Wasn't a fan of The Cranberries and find this vocal delivery grates a bit. I could take it for a song or two but don't think I could do a whole album.

10. Bit of a sound collage. Pulsing synth tone keeps time and is joined by a repeating pattern picked on electric guitar with a clean tone and a female vocal that comes in and out throughout. Can't guess who it is.

11. Sped up vocals, quite funky even though it sounds like munchkins on acid! Initially thought it might be the same artist as Track 1 but don't think so now. Really liked this, quite short, almost frantic, really catchy.

12. Definitely KC singing and it's definitely a Withered Hand song cos I recognise a couple of the lines. Also the guitar style is definitely WH and not KC - KC doesn't tend to strum chords in this way. Ashamed to admit that I've only seen WH live (Cambo SITKOF book launch, and City Arts Centre on New Years Day) and haven't gotten around to buying his albums yet. Must remedy that. Great performance here.

13. Ae Fond Kiss - no idea who it is. Adrian Crowley? It's the only thing that springs to mind. I'm not a huge fan of Burns set to music, prefer to read from the page or hear a recital. Singer's been on the downers I think. It's nice enough but after some of the other tracks it doesn't really make much of an impact.

14. A wee bit of banjo - very nice. No idea but I like it. 'Play the Old Banjo' would be my guess at a title. Really nice performance. Sounds like new roots as opposed to old classics because it's a nice clean recording.

15. More banjo and that definite modern bluegrass feel. A definite 'O Brother Where Art Thou' feel or probably more like the documentary that followed it, 'Down From The Mountain'. Sounds like the kind of song that would have been a Ralph Stanley number except that this is a female vocalist. Great track. Nice to hear bluegrass where it's not at 160 beats per minute - good lyrics, great performances. Liked this a lot. Sounds a bit too rootsy for Alison Krauss - maybe not?

16. Scots traditional. 'Why am I so poor and skint all the time' - don't know - Dick Gaughan? Clutching at straws.

17. YESSSS! This is definitely the same guys as Track 1! Snish snish snish snish shish. I have no idea but this is killing me. It sounds like Absolutely but I know it's not.

18. Quite a big production. Bit of a retro sound with a baritone guitar riff underneath. A bit Pink Floyd in places, slight War of the Worlds influence and then it's all joined by mellotron (I think) and a Boss CE-2 chorus pedal turned to frantic. OK but doesn't grab me.

19. Voice and piano, recorded in a large echoing space - appears to be a song of thanks. Track had a glitch towards the end but got 2 minutes of it. Brian Wilson? Not sure.

20 - 26. Spacer tracks.

27. Secret final track? Took a minute. Sounds familiar… I've definitely heard this before… c'mon… GOT IT! 1978, Ally's Army. Not the original but a slowed down atmospheric cover. The first World Cup I really remember… well, I remember the stationery and football stickers. I was 7 years old and at Leuchars Primary School. Realised a couple of years ago that the mascot for that tournament wasn't Sport Billy as I'd always thought but was in fact called Gaucho. Anyway, I only know it's Northern Alliance because it was mentioned on a recent Hub thread. Will now be checking up on Northern Alliance.

Big thanks to the mixer, whoever you are Edinburgh person (post mark). Nothing here that I didn't like, a couple that were OK but wouldn't pursue. Overall I'd say a 80% hit rate. Need to know who 1 and 17 are, definitely need more by them. Also particularly liked 3 - 5, 8 & 11. Liked the other stuff too but just picking out highlights here.

I thought I had wide ranging tastes (although I played it a bit safe on my mix) but most of this was new to me. Great, just what I need, another list of CDs to buy. It's not even the money these days cos if you look around you can pick things up for reasonable prices, it's the time to listen to them. Give me more time!!!!

Do we publish playlists at some point to out people out of their misery?

yo demon, glad you enjoyed most of the music. here is the reveal:

1.   this, as you quite rightly say, is fucking hilarious. the wonderful
‘fluffy and quack quack’ sketch from blab, who are played on old jock
radio all the time. one guy from falkirk and the other from haddington,
I believe. i know next to nothing about them apart from that.

2.   this is calamateur with ‘akatombo (the red butterfly)’. interesting
singer songwriter from up north somewhere. tons of albums available
so do check him out.

3.   funky piano riff indeed. ‘turtles have short legs’ by can. total genius.

4.   and this ‘meer’ from can’s german contemporaries faust. two
wonderul bands who you should be buying more from.

5.   the first fence track on this compilation is taken from trilemma’s
caveat emptor (pfb11) called ‘how the west was run’. i love this. know
next to fuck all about the band and never heard from them in the fence
world since.

6.   dylan? irish? nah it’s the incredible ‘she is so beautiful’ by the waterboys.
mike scott is a scot, you know. he only sounds irish. ;)

7.   and this ‘beautiful car’ by m ward. nothing ground breaking, but it’s
a lovely song. i think he’s now in a band with that actress zoey dechanel (sic).

8.   this is dgs’s and bhoywonder’s favourite band – even more so than
mogwai and the beatles. ‘such a sad puppy dog’ by manchester hipsters
wu lyf. i think they’ve now broken up but i did enjoy the album they brought
out. no matter what the naysayers, er, say.

9.   i see where you are coming from with the voice on this one, but i do
like her. my mrs totally hates this song!!! it is ‘sparrow’ by woodpecker
wooliams who, I believe, has now ditched that moniker and is now trading
under a different name.

10.   this is the second fence track to appear, and it is the criminally underlooked
ac hum with ‘pulse. This is little pebble and iona marshall combining to pull off a
wonderful mix of vocal and electronic tomfoolery.

11.   blame ramino for this effort as it was him who turned me on to r stevie moore.
i must admit to not enjoying a whole swathe of his back catalogue but this is funk
groove central. the song is ‘horizontal hideaway’.

12.   yup, withered hand’s ‘no cigarettes’ sung by kc. Nuff said really.

13.   ae fond kiss by now wakes the sea. i believe nwts is a one-man operation and,
again, i’m not convinced with everything I’ve heard by him, but this burns tribute
album he did is wonderful.

14.   new roots, yes. this is the incredible viking moses with ‘play the old banjo’
from the sampler album, a short history. if you haven’t caught vm live yet then do
all in your power to change that – he is extraordinary live.

15.   the o brother reference is indeed apt with this one. surprised you don’t
know gillian welch, mind. This is ‘the devil got hold of me’ from her second album
hell among the yearlings. again, an incredible live performer. everyone should
own at least one gillian welch album.

16.   this is ‘the fifer song’ by our very own pip dylan. not available on any of
his albums this one, and i hear there is a dirty, ten minute version, which i’m
still to be treated to.

17.   so glad you are getting the wonder of blab. a lot of folk tell me they are
shite, but, of course, these people are fuckin retards so I take no notice of them
whatsoever. these two guys are comedy geniuses (genii?) and how they aren’t
much better known i’ll never know. this is called ‘shneesh shneesh shneesh’,
as if you had to ask and could be one of the most funny and surreal two minutes
you will hear. anywhere.

18.   surprised at this one ‘not grabbing you’ cos the aliens are/were a wonderful
band. some ropey moments on the first album but luna is almost perfect. This is
‘dove returning’. I would check this album out before then going on to hunt down
the lone pigeon originals.

19.   ‘thank you lord’ by the lone pigeon. I shouldn’t really have to bang on about
gordon’s genius on these pages, but I will if you want. songs like this are what
your ears were invented for. And yes, the glitch appears on every copy.

and finally

26. one of fence’s most underrated bands in my humble opinion. northern alliance
with their take on ‘ally’s tartan army’. a piece of lofi class to finish off with. fronted
by author doug johnstone who is known to many around here. well worth hunting
out their music as is doug’s fiction which seems to get better with each release.

80 per cent hit rate? i’ll take that. glad you enjoyed most of it. the pleasure’s been all mine.

fuctifano

« Reply #12 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 13:53 PM »
"an good"???

Dearie me...
ah new thatd anoy u ;)

Rosti

« Reply #13 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 13:59 PM »
14.   new roots, yes. this is the incredible viking moses with ‘play the old banjo’
from the sampler album, a short history. if you haven’t caught vm live yet then do

FYI - He's playing Edinburgh (venue unknown) on the 8th May.
Get yourselves along.

Leckers

« Reply #14 on: Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 14:01 PM »

FYI - He's playing Edinburgh (venue unknown) on the 8th May.
Get yourselves along.

really!!! wow, that i cannae
miss. see you there rosti.