Author Topic: Sound of the 70s  (Read 5625 times)

a.heathen

• Wherever I go so does me go.
Sound of the 70s
« on: Thu, Apr 03, 2014, 20:29 PM »
Just watching some clips of the likes of ELO, 10CC, Bolan etc.
And here's Old Grey Whistle Test giving a debut to Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" IN FULL.
With Mr Mealtofu and Ellen Foley enacting the entire baseball commentary scene IN almost FULL.

Saucy.

Like a 1970s "That Stain On Your Skirt".

The 70s were much better than those punk rockers would have us believe.

Discuss.

czefski

Re: Sound of the 70s
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Apr 03, 2014, 21:14 PM »
It certainly wasn't as bad as it seemed at the time and there were any number of shit punk or new wave bands that were considerably worse than what they were supposedly railing against. I saw Danny Baker say recently that when the first punk bands were starting out no-one said that prog rock was never mentioned as the stimulus for change.

There isn't much stuff that I listened to pre-punk that I find myself re-visiting. I did try and listen to Rick Wakeman's King Arthur album last year but gave up after a few minutes. Tubular Bells I can stick listen too and some ELO tracks stand the test of time. I loved Queen as a kid and could still give Queen 2 and Sheer Heart Attack a listen but wouldn't bother with Night at the Opera or a Day at the Races. As for Meatloaf, now, as then, I'd rather have a safety pin stuck in my heart than have to listen to a single note.

rainmaker

« Reply #2 on: Thu, Apr 03, 2014, 21:20 PM »
I think ELO were one of the worst 70s groups, I remember watching some programme of a live concert and a Radio 1 DJ (can't remember who) introduced them as being the greatest rock group, switched it off at that point. 10cc and meat-loaf were almost as bad. Punk was far better until "Never mind the bollocks" and then  it went downhill as well.

a.heathen

« Reply #3 on: Thu, Apr 03, 2014, 21:22 PM »
Danny Baker LOVES Prog. He wouldn't remember anyone slagging it off.

Actually though, our gang in 1979 to 1982 would listen to Prog, Disco, Punk, New Wave and the New Romantics in equal proportions. And lots of Two Tone /Ska.

rainmaker

« Reply #4 on: Thu, Apr 03, 2014, 21:24 PM »
PS Just watching a Dr Feelgood live DVD, some tracks off the OGWT. Now that is great 70s music.

a.heathen

« Reply #5 on: Thu, Apr 03, 2014, 21:29 PM »
I think ELO were one of the worst 70s groups ...

POPPYCOCK

czefski

« Reply #6 on: Thu, Apr 03, 2014, 21:37 PM »
Danny Baker LOVES Prog. He wouldn't remember anyone slagging it off.

Actually though, our gang in 1979 to 1982 would listen to Prog, Disco, Punk, New Wave and the New Romantics in equal proportions. And lots of Two Tone /Ska.

We listened to most of the above as well, not much prog, unless ELO or Can stray into the prog bucket. The one genre that got short shrift was heavy metal. I remember one of our mates playing Fairies Wear Boots and Ironman by Black Sabbath(?) he had to serve a 1 week suspension from the tape recorder.

No love for ELO Rainmaker? A New World Record is a great album.

a.heathen

« Reply #7 on: Thu, Apr 03, 2014, 21:39 PM »
Oh yeah being Birmingham there was plenty of heavy metal too.

rainmaker

« Reply #8 on: Thu, Apr 03, 2014, 21:41 PM »
I think ELO were one of the worst 70s groups ...

POPPYCOCK
I could have added one of the worst groups ever for the success they had, which is my actual opinion.

rainmaker

« Reply #9 on: Thu, Apr 03, 2014, 21:51 PM »

No love for ELO Rainmaker? A New World Record is a great album.
I did have A New World Record but thought it became really over-rated. I was into the first generation of heavy metal but not so keen on all the mid-70s onward deep Purple spin-off type or Black Sabbath either, but most of my mates were.

kwaing

« Reply #10 on: Fri, Apr 04, 2014, 00:47 AM »
t rex, bowie, blondie, the specials, and the grease soundtrack ... did i miss anything out?

czefski

« Reply #11 on: Fri, Apr 04, 2014, 07:59 AM »
t rex, bowie, blondie, the specials, and the grease soundtrack ... did i miss anything out?

The Jam, obviously.

funky_nomad

« Reply #12 on: Fri, Apr 04, 2014, 09:34 AM »
I was into the first generation of heavy metal but not so keen on all the mid-70s onward deep Purple spin-off type or Black Sabbath either, but most of my mates were.
This does not make any sense to me, as Black Sabbath WERE the first generation of Heavy Metal.

Unless, of course, you mean you weren't into post-Ozzy Sabbs when all the RAWK behemoths started swapping more members than a suburban swinging party. In which case, you're wrong, as Dio-era Sabbs was almost as good as the original. Mob Rules? YEAH!!!

Anyway, the 70's were WAAAAAAY better than the namby-pamby 60's or the self-obsessed 80's - Rock rocked properly, genres came and went in a heartbeat, electronic music came to the fore, and Krautrock influenced generations to come.

Without the 70's there would have been no Spinal Tap. I rest my case, M'Lud.

rainmaker

« Reply #13 on: Fri, Apr 04, 2014, 10:05 AM »
I was into the first generation of heavy metal but not so keen on all the mid-70s onward deep Purple spin-off type or Black Sabbath either, but most of my mates were.
This does not make any sense to me, as Black Sabbath WERE the first generation of Heavy Metal.

Just didn't like Black Sabbath for some reason.

czefski

« Reply #14 on: Fri, Apr 04, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Dio-era Sabbs was almost as good as the original

Damned by faint praise