Author Topic: (almost) all you need to know about everything  (Read 2658 times)

Uncle Ellwyn

Re: (almost) all you need to know about everything
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Aug 05, 2014, 14:53 PM »
Thank you for posting.
Great article. Well said!
Incredible film.

fuctifano

« Reply #3 on: Tue, Aug 05, 2014, 16:22 PM »
ps - im laughing at some of the comments!

R

« Reply #4 on: Tue, Aug 05, 2014, 21:43 PM »
I wan't tee-shirts with "WHO IS KING CREOSOTE." on them.

zinedine

« Reply #5 on: Tue, Aug 05, 2014, 22:32 PM »
Bizarre journalism though, nah? Kenny advocates sticking with the Westminster Gov and the journalist writes of his political beliefs "Decisions, he thinks, should be made by those who are affected by them". An attempt at irony? Why make that comment?

DemonInDisguise

« Reply #6 on: Tue, Aug 05, 2014, 22:53 PM »
I wan't tee-shirts with "WHO IS KING CREOSOTE." on them.
That should be the audience chant at the next Bunfight... 'Who are you? Who are you?'

Quite honestly the hatred and poison coming out of the YES camp grassroots these days is a bit worrying. What next, book burning? Have they had a few too many lucozades? (That's Gatorade for the cousins from across the Atlantic).

It's now no longer just 'should I vote yes', but 'do I want to be associated with fuds like them?'. I know not all YES campaigners are like this, but as Sep 18th gets closer it's the 'extremists' (tongue firmly in cheek) that seem to be the most vocal. What next jackboots and... hmm, blackshirts have been used... brown shirts too... TARTAN SHIRTS, that's the answer.

Then again, we might need a Referendum on whether the tartan shirts should be Ancient colours or Modern colours...  ;)

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #7 on: Tue, Aug 05, 2014, 23:31 PM »

Quite honestly the hatred and poison coming out of the YES camp grassroots these days is a bit worrying.

??

It's now no longer just 'should I vote yes', but 'do I want to be associated with fuds like them?'

?

zinedine

« Reply #8 on: Tue, Aug 05, 2014, 23:41 PM »
And as for "shunning record deals and commercial exposure", last time I checked Domino and Warner are record labels are they not? And all album promotion (Clash interviews included) would be classed as commercial exposure, non? I am not judging - he has mouths to feed - but why mythologise and project values onto the poor man?

zinedine

« Reply #9 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 00:27 AM »
One more thing.

Kenny describes Scots as underachieving, unsupportive, stubborn, scapegoaters “The Scots are pretty good at being the reserve team – all five million of us. And Scots don’t get behind our own. We don’t accept our failures. We need someone to blame and if that’s not Westminster, who is it"

And somehow the writer interprets that as "With a message of history, collaboration, friendship, pride and unity, KENNY, Fence and ‘From Scotland With Love’ epitomise what it means to be Scottish"

She clearly established her narrative and stuck to it, regardless of what Kenny actually said, twisting his words to make him seem positive and optimistic. Scandalous.

santaci

« Reply #10 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 08:11 AM »
Insulting and depressing. There are plenty of good reasons to vote no, but calling Scotland 'the reserve team' is cringe-worthy.

a.heathen

• Wherever I go so does me go.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 08:38 AM »
That word "cringe" has dropped into buzzwords of the Yes campaign very quickly.

I have plenty of friends who support your YES campaign in a rational manner, I also have roughly the same number of friends who say NAE or "None of the above". The debate has mostly been civil.

When I have read articles about Scottish people of note* speaking on this matter, I find the yes campaigners (not people I know but the tweeters and the bottom half of the internet) to be vitriolic and aggressive. They're often commenting about people whose work they like in the tone of a jilted lover.

I can't say I have noticed this abuse so much when similar people speak out about their support for independence, but then a negative tone is there in their reasons for not being in favour of independence.

Kenny's right though, a lot of the debate has been blaming The English/London etc rather than "we could do this better".

If I were the UK opposition party, I would be considering how we can go forward with Scotland, whatever the result, so I am not too happy about the number of Labour politicians speaking out. Then again, their future looks bleak without 40 odd MPs.
Most importantly, win lose or lose, the Yes voters have a momentum we could all benefit from in changing the three party Conservativism that currently rules the UK.

*not John Barrowman, obviously.

santaci

« Reply #12 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 10:18 AM »
I'm not part of the yes campaign.

I have a vote and will definitely use it but am undecided at the mo.

I've lived for years in both England and Scotland, they are both generally great places to be and will continue to be so regardless of the vote, so I'm not too bothered either way.

Imagine the uber-stooshie if anyone from the no campaign said the Scots were / Scotland is 'good at being the reserve team' wrt the UK. It's a ridiculous, ill thought out comment.

fuctifano

« Reply #13 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 10:35 AM »

Imagine the uber-stooshie if anyone from the no campaign said the Scots were / Scotland is 'good at being the reserve team' wrt the UK. It's a ridiculous, ill thought out comment.

I thought it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, no?

Scotpaulabear

« Reply #14 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Please feel free to google 'negativity from no campaign' and find articles where Better Together people are even telling each other not to be so negative!!  As a Yes Scotland campaigner, I can assure you that the official campaign is trying to put forward positivity as much as humanly possible.  We can't control those on Twitter and FB who are WAY more colourful and negative and profane - a little teasing is fine, but some of it goes way too far, I'll admit it and it pisses me off.

But the whole Better Together campaign IS Project Fear.  Please tell me one instance of Darling setting out a positive argument for union last night.  If we are going to get more legislative powers, why have we never gotten them instead of them being a consolation prize?

I'm in a bit of a mood this morning, apologies.