Author Topic: (almost) all you need to know about everything  (Read 2656 times)

Kimmers

Re: (almost) all you need to know about everything
« Reply #15 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 12:40 PM »

Just an observation - I don't have to google for "negativity from yes campaign." It's everywhere I go.

If you disagree with someone who is supporting Yes - watch out. The vitriol I've seen gets to be a bit much. People take it as a personal attack. I'm very reluctant to state my stance for fear of the reaction I will get from someone who disagrees with me.

As an American, I never expected British....sorry, Scottish people to be so violent in their opinion. I thought that was something self-entitled, right-wing, fundamentalist Christians did. Generally you don't see moderate republicans or democrats getting worked up.

Extremism, in any form, always gives me pause. I want to step back and ask why people have to be so acerbic. One can be passionate without giving way to personal attack - once you get to that level, I find it hard to believe the attacker is fueled by logic and reasoning.

Oh hi. Gonna go hibernate for another 3 months.  ;)

coilsandco

« Reply #16 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 14:01 PM »
It just goes to show you can't be too careful!

Jackie

« Reply #17 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 14:58 PM »
That word "cringe" has dropped into buzzwords of the Yes campaign very quickly.

I have plenty of friends who support your YES campaign in a rational manner, I also have roughly the same number of friends who say NAE or "None of the above". The debate has mostly been civil.

When I have read articles about Scottish people of note* speaking on this matter, I find the yes campaigners (not people I know but the tweeters and the bottom half of the internet) to be vitriolic and aggressive. They're often commenting about people whose work they like in the tone of a jilted lover.

I can't say I have noticed this abuse so much when similar people speak out about their support for independence, but then a negative tone is there in their reasons for not being in favour of independence.

Kenny's right though, a lot of the debate has been blaming The English/London etc rather than "we could do this better".

If I were the UK opposition party, I would be considering how we can go forward with Scotland, whatever the result, so I am not too happy about the number of Labour politicians speaking out. Then again, their future looks bleak without 40 odd MPs.
Most importantly, win lose or lose, the Yes voters have a momentum we could all benefit from in changing the three party Conservativism that currently rules the UK.

*not John Barrowman, obviously.
Well said a.heathen

Dubster

« Reply #18 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 15:35 PM »

Imagine the uber-stooshie if anyone from the no campaign said the Scots were / Scotland is 'good at being the reserve team' wrt the UK. It's a ridiculous, ill thought out comment.

I thought it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, no?

indeed.  anyone who knows Kenny knows he rarely says what he ACTUALLY thinks, particularly not in the public domain

I am tired of the whole malarkey - roll on October..

Captainfourhorns

« Reply #19 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 15:59 PM »

Imagine the uber-stooshie if anyone from the no campaign said the Scots were / Scotland is 'good at being the reserve team' wrt the UK. It's a ridiculous, ill thought out comment.

Tongue it with a cheek

fuctifano

« Reply #20 on: Wed, Aug 06, 2014, 16:27 PM »

Tongue it with a cheek

:P :-* :o ;D