Author Topic: TOOBE 2019  (Read 618 times)

Cameleon

TOOBE 2019
« on: Fri, Feb 08, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Fancy becoming a member of a virtual band?

We are looking for any musicians willing to join this years TOOBE project.  Either as a full time member or as a guest contributor.

Whatever your level of skill or choice of instrument.  EDM, Vocals, Guitar, Keys, Drums, Poetry, BassÖAnything at all.  If youíve got an original idea that you would like to see grow and youíre game for the experiment then let us know.

Band members will be asked to record a solo track or even just an original idea and send it to the next name on the list who can then add their own contribution before sending it on further.  By the time each idea has gone full circle we should have a unique collection of music in the spirit of Fence.  Created by the community, for the AETC community.

There are bound to be some questions so weíll post some common Q&A in a few days but for now just add your name to the list if youíre up for it.

Itís going to be fun!

Nico Brad

Re: TOOBE 2019
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Feb 08, 2019, 19:45 PM »
I'm in, cracking idea. Broken banjo, guitar, autoharp and tanpura (all at fudge my way through it level).

Cameleon

« Reply #2 on: Sat, Feb 09, 2019, 00:22 AM »
Excellent!

How could we have forgotten to include banjo!

Welcome to the band!

Deadyankee

« Reply #3 on: Sat, Feb 09, 2019, 10:19 AM »
I need to find my guitar to laptop interface before I can commit but it sounds like fun.

whiskeypriest

« Reply #4 on: Sat, Feb 09, 2019, 14:48 PM »
I'm in.  Looking forward to hearing everyone's ideas.  Thanks, Meic!

Cameleon

« Reply #5 on: Sat, Feb 09, 2019, 15:18 PM »
Wonderful.  Glad to have you two on board too.

Cameleon

« Reply #6 on: Fri, Feb 15, 2019, 15:51 PM »
More info about TOOBE as requested.

TOOBE 2019 Q & A

1.   What is TOOBE?  TOOBE is a virtual band formed by members of the AETC Hub.  We're looking for electronics, guitars, voices, keys, drums or whatever contribution you might like to make.  Each band member records a solo original track or stem on their instrument of choice and then sends it (with a working title) on to the next member on the list who adds their own contribution before passing it on again.  This includes any singers/vocalists amongst you.  Once the track has returned to itís originator it is complete.  A bit like Chinese Whispers.

2.   What does TOOBE stand for?  The Out Of Body Experience due to the idea that the band exists outside of each individual member. When we first launched four years ago it was an exclusive title worldwide.  However, since then a band with an identical name has been formed in Portland.  We arenít expecting any clash however.  We could always rename ourselves The Oot Of Body Experience!

3.   What is a stem?  A stem is generally a post production recording of a voice or instrument engineered in a final version ready to be mixed with other stems to create the final track.  Itís become the standard method used in most recording studios but donít worry about it if you donít have the tools to hand to add effects or polish your contribution after recording.  We want to keep the project as simple as possible.

4.   In what format should I record my contribution?  If you can submit your tracks as Wav files then best quality would be maintained but mp3 is such a popular file type, that is fine too.  Some of us can also handle other files like FLAC or Ogg Vorbis but once again.  Letís keep things simple if we can.
5.   How should I submit my contribution to the next band member?  Probably best agreed with your next contact when you start but if itís an mp3 then direct email should work well.  Alternatively we have created a TOOBE email address of TOOBE2019@gmail.com and a Soundcloud account for The Out Of Body Experience.

6.   What if I have recorded my contribution to a track but donít have the gear to mix it with the other instruments?  Donít worry.  Email your contribution and the track youíve received separately to TOOBE2019@gmail.com and one of us will do the mix for you.

7.   How can I keep time with the other musicians?  Most studios use a click track like a metronome which doesnít appear on the final track but helps musicians at different sessions keep in time with each other.  If you know your BPM (Beats per minute) for your recording then let your next recipient know what it is.  If you would like a click track sent to help you then send an email to TOOBE@gmail.com with your preferred beat and weíll email one back.

8.   Can I record something that Iíve heard done by someone else?  No.  We donít want to breach copyright or offend any other musicians so please record something original.

9.   What if I donít think I will have the time to add something to every track I receive?  Obviously we are hoping that you can but if not, just pass it on to the next on the list.  We are also asking for guest contributors who may only be able to join in with one or two tracks or who might only be able to submit a short riff or melody rather than a full length idea.  Any members who have studio capabilities can mix your idea in another track so any contributions are welcome.  If you just want to be a guest them email TOOBE with a recording of your idea.

10.   What if I donít play an instrument but would still like to take part?  We are also hoping that any lyricists or poets amongst you might like to send in your words so we can weave them in.  If you can email a recording of you singing them then even better.  Also, once the project is completed we would like any artists to join and create some original art work to accompany the tracks.

11.   What will happen to the project once completed?  This will be a band decision but one thought is that each band member will be asked to nominate a preferred charity.  Once the project is finished the complete album can be made available for free download provided a suitable donation is pledged to one of the charities listed.

If there is anything else you arenít sure about then please email or PM your questions and weíll do our best to answer them.

Daydream Daisy

« Reply #7 on: Sun, Feb 17, 2019, 00:41 AM »
I'd definitely be interested in contributing some of my songs, guitars, vocals, keys and another autoharp to this project!  Great idea about donating proceeds from the album to charity.   :D

Cameleon

« Reply #8 on: Sun, Feb 17, 2019, 10:46 AM »
Fantastic!  Welcome to an out of body experience.
Could it be that we have a potential Duelling Autoharps!

Nico Brad

« Reply #9 on: Sun, Feb 17, 2019, 12:19 PM »

Am sure that Daydream Daisy would win hands down!

Nico Brad

« Reply #10 on: Sun, Feb 17, 2019, 12:26 PM »
I have a track I knocked together featuring a broken Banjo and the sea. I'd like to offer it up as a possible opener!  If that's ok where to send?

Cameleon

« Reply #11 on: Sun, Feb 17, 2019, 17:29 PM »
We'll email all the members with the details in the next couple of days so we can all get creating.  A broken banjo and the sea?  That's already got my interest for sure.

Anyone else fancy taking part?

The full group will start creating soon but guest contributors can always submit ideas to further inspire our merry band at any time!

Daydream Daisy

« Reply #12 on: Mon, Feb 18, 2019, 23:49 PM »

Probably not - I'm still just a novice at the autoharp!

Nico Brad

« Reply #13 on: Tue, Feb 19, 2019, 09:28 AM »

Perhas we could have a duel to the bottom! See who is the worst! Just kidding!  I like your songs on Bandcamp BTW.

Daydream Daisy

« Reply #14 on: Tue, Feb 26, 2019, 00:40 AM »

Perhas we could have a duel to the bottom! See who is the worst! Just kidding!  I like your songs on Bandcamp BTW.

Thank you! I have more to add to Bandcamp soon...