Author Topic: What are you reading ?  (Read 4134 times)

Leckers

Re: What are you reading ?
« Reply #15 on: Wed, Nov 26, 2014, 17:01 PM »
http://books.simonandschuster.co.uk/Anger-is-an-Energy-My-Life-Uncensored/John-Lydon/9781471137198

great read from punk's
best butter salesman.
    I'm currently 'churning' my way through this. Ithankyew.

Did you read No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish, his first auto-biog? If so is there much difference? I'm loathe to spread my disposable income on this otherwise. I can't believe it's not similar.

i didn't, so have i to offer
no opinion on this matter.

Uncle Ellwyn

« Reply #17 on: Wed, Nov 26, 2014, 19:02 PM »

Not dry at all.

Crisp, juicy and excellent flavor

Captain Geeko

• Captain Geeko's Recording Emporium
« Reply #18 on: Wed, Nov 26, 2014, 21:54 PM »

Scotpaulabear

« Reply #19 on: Thu, Nov 27, 2014, 09:24 AM »
Started 'Blossom' by Lesley Riddoch but then my copy of 'The Art of Asking' by Amanda Fudging Palmer arrived so I'm reading both at once.  I'm a multitasker.  8)

lolsmit

• Hanx!
« Reply #20 on: Thu, Nov 27, 2014, 09:47 AM »
Finished these two on a week's holiday recently.  Something odd about reading accounts of folk coming to an icy end, while sat in the sun in Ibiza.  A few gasp aloud moments in the first one in particular:

Not started anything new yet, have had this lying around for a while though:

Been reading this, this week  ;)

JoJ

« Reply #21 on: Thu, Nov 27, 2014, 13:19 PM »
Sunset Song. 

Moved to the Mearns so I thought I'd give it a try.

Thoroughly enjoying it so far.  May be moving into favourite novels of all time territory.

czefski

« Reply #22 on: Thu, Nov 27, 2014, 13:25 PM »
The Scots Quair is magnificent but Sunset Song is the pick of them.

I've recently finished Alan Cumming's book about his abusive father, very good read.

I'm currently reading Grovel, which is about the 1976 England v West Indies test series where England's captain Tony Greig said he intended to make the West Indies grovel. As Greig was a white South African they took this as a racial slur and knocked the bejesus out of England. Enjoyable thus far.

I like the look of Lolsmit's climbing books. John Krukauer's Into Thin Air, a book about an Everest expedition that went horribly wrong is a magnificent read.

Reg Banks

« Reply #23 on: Thu, Nov 27, 2014, 14:07 PM »
They serialised the Alan Cummings book on Radio 4 last week.
What an utter shit his dad was.

Read the David Byrne book recently. Its beautifully produced and an imaginative way to write an autobiography.

czefski

« Reply #24 on: Thu, Nov 27, 2014, 14:37 PM »
They serialised the Alan Cummings book on Radio 4 last week.
What an utter shit his dad was.

Read the David Byrne book recently. Its beautifully produced and an imaginative way to write an autobiography.

The David Byrne book was probably my favourite read of last year.

I heard that another book I read recently, Night Games, has won the William Hill Sports Book of the Year. Follows a trial of an Aussie Rules footballer charged with rape and looks at that sports attitude to women, in particular using gang rape as essentially a team-bonding exercise. Well worth picking up.

cheesecats

« Reply #25 on: Thu, Nov 27, 2014, 15:31 PM »

baldpar

« Reply #26 on: Thu, Nov 27, 2014, 19:41 PM »
I have the David Byrne book but haven't got round to reading it yet. Might start it when I've finished the Bernard Sumner autobiography.

franzkafka

• owen edelsten
« Reply #27 on: Thu, Nov 27, 2014, 23:18 PM »
For light relief I'm reading Keith Richard's autobiography.  The bitchy bits about jagger trying to be the boss and being a control freak are very funny but there's a lot of repetition.  Keith thinks he has an amazing tolerance to the drugs but I'm not so sure.  More serious reading, well I'm about half way through Joyces Ulysses which is not bad when you consider I only started it 25 years ago. I've just finished Down and out in Paris and London which I first read when I was about 18.  It hasn't aged well and feels dated as well as a good bit racist and class ridden which was a surprise as I dont remember noticing anything like that in the pre-PC days. 

FilthySwan

« Reply #28 on: Fri, Nov 28, 2014, 07:20 AM »

Weirdly I've also just last week started the David Byrne one after having it on my ayepad for about a year. In real book format I just finished The Amateurs by John Niven which was entertaining enough but not as good as Kill Your Friends or Second Coming. Now started a collection of Chekhov short stories which I'm feeling my way into.

baldpar

« Reply #29 on: Sun, Jan 13, 2019, 20:24 PM »
Currently reading Hometown Tales: Highlands and Hebrides by Colin MacIntyre and Ellen MacAskill. The first half is a brief autobiography by Colin and the second half is a short story. The autobiography part is the best part.